SoCon

Post by 10stone5 »

High Point two and 0.
Some top recruits, they’re getting.

Duke box score—
https://s3.amazonaws.com/highpointpanth ... t_Duke.pdf

Next HP streaming game 02-16 ——-
https://portal.stretchinternet.com/drex ... Type=video
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PicLax

Re: SoCon 2019

Post by PicLax »

Great win for High Point last night. Clearly outplayed and out-coached Duke. Tim Troutner was phenomenal in the goal. Certainly deserves recent accolades. Might be best goalie in NCAA. Starting attack also outstanding. Chris Young really jumping out. Offensive middies great production. Four of team's thirteen goals, seven of team's twenty total points. Sampere over 50% at the X, particularly effective late stages of 4th quarter. Solid defense all the way around.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They’re playing our guys next.
I’m scared.

But in fact, I’d say the same if it was Richmond, or Jacksonville, as much as High Point.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Powell was fired at Jacksonville?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Not sure I’m understanding.
Galloway is doing a nice job.

One of the Powell’s was an assistant ?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a couple years ago. he couldn't be around as much as needed for a full time position, doing a lot of other things with lacrosse, etc.. on good terms by all indications.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Asher Nolting game winning assist.
High Point 15-14 in overtime in West Phila.
Yikes

Post by Yikes »

Looks like HPU and Richmond are gonna run away with this conference. Makes me wonder what they've done differently than all the more tenured programs in the Socon
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

ACC/AQ conference? Highpoint: ACC giant killer.
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

HPU has a real solid team. I watched both the Duke and UVA games. The defense needs some work and will get exposed against the better teams, but the goalie bails them out. He will take them places they haven't been. Looking at their schedule the only remaining difficult game might be Richmond, ok well maybe RoMo and UMBC. If they keep their heads down and stay focused I think this win gives them a solid chance at an at-large bid if they don't win the SoCon title. With that being said, I'm sure many teams will be rooting for HPU to win the SoCon and not suck an at large bid away from others that rely on getting one.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

HPU should be favored to win SoCon. If they don’t, should garner an at-large bid. Nolting and Troutner the real deal.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

High Point has been recruiting good players.
How they have convinced them to come to HP, I don’t know. Maybe, you’ll play right away.

I tracked them a couple years back because the word was Connor Robinson would be the top NLL pick.

Alex Woodall played freshman year there and is a top five face off man now.

Asher Nolting ?
Didn’t have a clue other than he was highly rated by IL.
A lot of western players have been hyped, I’m out here in The People’s Republic, so I’ve seen a lot of hype with players coming out of California or Colorado or Utah. Granted, several have come through in DI.
But Nolting has shown that the western players are catching up lacrosse skills wise, not just athletically. Nolting and Bubba Fairman.

HPU also has a Canadian attack man coming in next year, he’s huge, possibly a five star recruit if IL would get their act together.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

One overlooked play.
When it looked like the Cavs could take control.

Nolting decked the UVA goalie on a loose ball scramble in the 4th quarter. Resulted in an open net putting HPU up one.

You could see how fired up that got the team.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Congrats to HPU for outlasting a talented UVa team... Troutner/Nolting outstanding!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

To watch a replay of Drexel - HPU.
Link—-
https://portal.stretchinternet.com/drexel/#onDemand

Replay of HPU - UVA.
Link—-
http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?cat ... ype=replay

Re-played the HPU-UVA game last night.
A lot of details you miss the 1st time around.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

You could kind of see this coming for Richmond and High Point. I will admit, I didn't see one of them beating both a Duke and UVA in the same year, but you could definitely see that those schools were now going to compete against the so called big boys. Air Force was headed in this same direction until their incident last year. Although, I think you will see Air Force back on track in the next couple of years. They have a very strong 2019 class and some good 20's as well that will be coming in to play with some of the good young players they have now.

There are just alot more really good players out there. The Big ten and ACC will still have more good players from top to bottom, but it is narrowing. This may not be a popular opinion, but many of the kids that end up committing to the hopkins, dukes, and so forth get very big heads and entitlement. they think they are just better than everyone else when they commit to these schools, and their high school coach and club coach treat them that way as well. then they get in to college and they were not really that much better or not better at all than the kid that committed to the high Points, Richmonds, and Air Forces of the world. With the early recruitment you saw over the last 6 years or so made it even worse. I think you are seeing a little bit of an effect of that.
whoneedsahug?

Post by whoneedsahug? »

Another solid win for a SoCon team in South Bend this afternoon. ;)

I still have the Spiders finishing first . A lot of lacrosse to be played but I think final standings will be:

1) Richmond
2) High Point
3) Air Force
4) Jacksonville
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Bellarmine

I feel confident about the first 5 much more than the bottom 3. Any of the bottom 3 could easily finish last. Top 2 in their own class.
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

whoneedsahug? wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:25 pm Another solid win for a SoCon team in South Bend this afternoon. ;)

I still have the Spiders finishing first . A lot of lacrosse to be played but I think final standings will be:

1) Richmond
2) High Point
3) Air Force
4) Jacksonville
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Bellarmine

I feel confident about the first 5 much more than the bottom 3. Any of the bottom 3 could easily finish last. Top 2 in their own class.
Well, HP has shown they are human, or their opponent has shown it belongs.

I'd switch the Spiders and HP, and I'd switch JAX and USAF. JAX will be a "can beat anybody" team come conference play. Regardless, this conference is real.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

I would agree with Richmond first then HP

I would have Jacksonville 3

Air Force is still a couple of years away from getting back to being a legit contender to win the SOCON. That was a bad loss on Sunday. I can't believe they have fallen that far off from 2 years ago. And I don't really see anyone else doing anything in the conference after Richmond and HP.

The SOCON have been having some impressive regular season wins for the last 4 years or so. First it was Air Force beating Duke a couple of times, and now Richmond and HP getting some really good wins. With that said, a SOCON team needs to win a tournament game and make some noise before the conference really gets serious recognition. I do think that will happen soon.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

SoCon teams still in the running for at large bids in the NCAAs.

High Point, unfortunately with their remaining schedule could drop out of the top twenty RPI, despite the convincing win over Duke. That is how screwy that RPI calculation is. They have little margin for error, and would probably at least have to defeat Richmond to hold out hope for an at large.

Course, that could change as ACC in conference play commences.

For Richmond, the numbers seem to really favor that win over Notre Dame. They are in better shape for at large, with also the game against UVA remaining.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”