Virginia Tech

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Virginia Tech vs Virginia

Post by seacoaster »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:45 am
Cletus wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:26 am What was the offense VT was running early in the Virginia game where they seemed to be successful? They had 3 players behind goal line extended and they were passing back and forth between the three and then hitting cutters going to cage. Why did they stop doing that? Why did it seem like they deteriorated into ball at the top of the fan 1 on 1 attempts to go to goal again, just like they did in the Duke game, and failing, just like they did in the Duke game. VT obviously has veteran talent along with exciting young talent. One example is first year attacker Whitney Liebler. The play-by-play announcer informed viewers during the game yesterday that Liebler left high school after her junior year and signed with VT. She passed over her senior year because of covid. But watching this young woman play, one would never know. She plays with aggression, confidence and poise.

On another note, one thing I couldn't help but be saddened by was watching the rover (I think they're referred to as?) running and running and chasing and chasing as the Hoos passed the ball around the perimeter. I saw no benefit to this, but what do I know. It just seemed like a principle that the coaching staff had decided on and there is no grey area. Black and white--when the opposition has the ball, we will pursue them relentlessly while they pass the ball around the perimeter. To what end? Disrupt their offense? I didn't witness that.

Anyway, that's my rant on some of the philosophies of VT. I think they could be better if they adjusted some of their strategies that sound good in theory, but don't translate to success in practice.
I suspect VT was overloading behind the cage to keep the backer low, allowing time and space for cutters up top. UVA seemed to adjust by following the cutters deeper before passing off. At least that’s what it looked like. As far as the chaser on VT, I have yet to figure out what they see in that strategy except wearing out that poor #12 by the first half. The theory is put pressure on passers, but she almost never gets there before The ball is passed away. The result is a tired defender not pressuring anyone and an open cutter, which both Teams seemed to find rather easily.
I didn't watch this game. But my impression is that a team playing a backer can only do so if they have a real energizer bunny as the backer, and the rest of the defense really understands how to push the offensive players into defensible slots. A good backer zone is a living organism. My guess is that Virginia may not have the personnel (or the practice under their belts) to do this yet.

Years ago, now, UNC ran one with a player named Taylor George as the backer, I think, and she was just tireless.
Cletus

Re: Virginia Tech vs Virginia

Post by Cletus »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 am The momentum in this game changed when uva defense went from the backer they have been playing to date this season to man. VT was ready for the backer and they found the seams efficiently early, but they could not adjust to the switch. It was pretty obvious and it was disappointing that the broadcast crew could not point this out.
Thanks watcher--good observation. Very helpful.
Cletus

Re: Virginia Tech

Post by Cletus »

As of this morning, VT is pausing all lacrosse activity due to covid exposure. Game vs Notre Dame is rescheduled to April 21st.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Hokies announce new head coach Kristen Skiera
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Kristen Skiera nee Waagbo played attack for Duke from '04 - 07". She made them exceptional apparently. Duke accomplished things during her time there which they hadn't attained to--before or since. If she brings that to Virginia Tech, the future is looking up.

"A gifted attacker on the Blue Devils’ front line, Waagbo completed a standout playing career at Duke, twice earning All-America honors. She is the program’s all-time career assists leader (116) and tallied 277 points over four seasons, which ranks second all-time behind 2005 Tewaaraton winner Katie Chrest. Waagbo is also tied for fourth on Duke’s all-time charts with 161 career goals.

As a senior in 2007, Waagbo set a Duke record with 44 assists and recorded a career-best 90 points in just 20 games (4.5 points per game). She finished the season as a first team All-American and was a semifinalist for the Tewaaraton award. Waagbo guided the Blue Devils to an overall record of 64-17 (.790) during her four-year career, as well as four regular season Atlantic Coast Conference crowns, one ACC Tournament title and three NCAA Final Four appearances."

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm Hokies announce new head coach Kristen Skiera
Very good hire for the program....perhaps I can be a Hokie LAX fan again. :D
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:30 pm
Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm Hokies announce new head coach Kristen Skiera
For ol' alma mater 😉
Cletus

Before and After overnight

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Outstanding hire!
I look forward to see what she can do with the Hokies. She did well with Army, as they were on the rise before COVID hit. She should be able to recruit some top level talent to Blacksburg.
Kristen was an outstanding player at Duke and she's an even better person. Congratulations to Coach Skiera and best of luck.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:38 am Outstanding hire!
I look forward to see what she can do with the Hokies. She did well with Army, as they were on the rise before COVID hit. She should be able to recruit some top level talent to Blacksburg.
Kristen was an outstanding player at Duke and she's an even better person. Congratulations to Coach Skiera and best of luck.
VT (and JMU) should be significantly better IMO given the excess of talent in the NoVA area. GMU too should be better. Though I guess all that competition matters.

But VT being in the ACC seems like it'd make it a great profile to play at, if you can't start within 2-3 years at a UVA.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Great to see the enthusiasm and excitement coming from Doc’s alma mater these days...

https://twitter.com/hokieslax/status/14 ... 08644?s=21
OuttaNowhereWregget

Looks like anticipation and excitement are chomping at the bit in Blacksburg.

https://twitter.com/hokieslax/status/14 ... 62337?s=21
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

Just curious and not offering an opinion either way..VT had unprecedented success under sung. Maybe not as much as people wanted, but ‘twas a program with immense failure prior to him. Seems like maybe the juice was worth the squeeze. Curious your thoughts
OuttaNowhereWregget

howdyyall wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:54 pm
Just curious and not offering an opinion either way..VT had unprecedented success under sung. Maybe not as much as people wanted, but ‘twas a program with immense failure prior to him. Seems like maybe the juice was worth the squeeze. Curious your thoughts
Sung had a great year in 2018 finishing 14-7. They had a few 1st program wins that season if I recall. They also won a game each in the ACC and NCAA tournaments for the first time in their history on both accounts. I think they lost a ton of leadership when Tristan McGinley graduated that year. 2019 was a big fall off as the Hokies lost their last 6 games of the season to finish 8-10. After going 7-3 on a fluffy first half schedule in 2020, they went 5-11 in ’21 and it seemed it was time for Sung to move on. One of his innovations of having a defender running back and forth up high with her stick up until she was exhausted got embarrassing in the end. He did a lot for the team in 2018—no doubt—but he was never able to build on that years success.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

The reasons he is no longer the coach have nothing to do with results on the field. The team was revolting and he was under investigation by the school. It was far past time for a change.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:25 pm
The reasons he is no longer the coach have nothing to do with results on the field. The team was revolting and he was under investigation by the school. It was far past time for a change.
this is what I heard as well
OuttaNowhereWregget

The optimism is just beaming from the coach and the players. Looking forward to seeing the Hokies strutting their stuff when ‘22 rolls around.

https://twitter.com/coachwaags/status/1 ... 31495?s=21
OuttaNowhereWregget

This is strange. Apparently Virginia Tech's ground crew has a Twitter account and commended the North Carolina football team for leaving a clean locker room after the Hokies beat the Tar Heels 17-10 Friday. (This ain't women's lacrosse remember 😉). What's strange is that Hopkins women's lacrosse "liked" the tweet. I'm wondering if the Heels had been heels and left a mess if that would have been tweeted. Doubtful somehow.

wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:05 pm This is strange. Apparently Virginia Tech's ground crew has a Twitter account and commended the North Carolina football team for leaving a clean locker room after the Hokies beat the Tar Heels 17-10 Friday. (This ain't women's lacrosse remember 😉). What's strange is that Hopkins women's lacrosse "liked" the tweet. I'm wondering if the Heels had been heels and left a mess if that would have been tweeted. Doubtful somehow.

Why is it strange that they liked the tweet?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”