2021—The Season in Review

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2021—The Season in Review

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:24 am I'm sorry, this "underperformer" stuff is amazingly tired, as was the "choker" nonsense. Being dismissive of youngsters and teams playing very high caliber ball, yet not winning a NC is the opposite of the spirit of the game.

Over on the men's side, would we have said that Yale was a chronic underperformer (decade after decade of not making it into the top 10)...until they weren't? Or Loyola? or...

Were their players in those non championship seasons deserving of dismissal?

Note, I made the same statement about those who diss the UNC men's program...pointing out that 2016 was simply the year that they caught that final run magic instead of some other team...but often in the mix, often beating very, very good teams

Sure, marvel at the terrific play of specific kids, admire a given program's steady maintenance of a winning culture, etc...but don't diss kids, nor programs which haven't broken through...
I'll tell you what MDlaxfan76--if you don't like my posts, don't read them--or go pound sand. Either suits me just fine. I'm coming to see that Mr. Mauer is an astute observer.

:D Let me be clear, I'm free to disagree, and strongly, with the tenor and content of anyone's posts, including yours. In this case, multiple people have been doing such labelling.

I disagree with all of that nonsense. So, said so. And why.

Do you want this to be personal?
Does that give you some jollies?
For that matter, does dissing a bunch of youngsters and coaches give you jollies?

BTW, if you don't want to read my objections, you don't need to do so.
DMac

Post by DMac »

"Multiple people" including many long time reasonable, level headed, respected, and knowledgeable posters who have found his ways so insulting and disrespectful that they've either left completely or stepped aside for extended periods. None of that matters though, it's like the kid in the sandbox who throws sand in your eyes then calls foul when you punch him the face and you're the one who gets reprimanded.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:48 am "Multiple people" including many long time reasonable, level headed, respected, and knowledgeable posters who have found his ways so insulting and disrespectful that they've either left completely or stepped aside for extended periods. None of that matters though, it's like the kid in the sandbox who throws sand in your eyes then calls foul when you punch him the face and you're the one who gets reprimanded.
Agreed.

My reference to "multiple people" was the labelling of players and teams as "chronic under performers" much less "chokers". Indeed, at least two posters (assuming they're not one poster under different names) were doing so. Encouraging each other to diss players and teams.

Indeed, "disrespectful and insulting"... "sand in the eyes".
No useful purpose other than to troll others, IMO.

My response was to anyone who was participating in such.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:54 am
DMac wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:48 am "Multiple people" including many long time reasonable, level headed, respected, and knowledgeable posters who have found his ways so insulting and disrespectful that they've either left completely or stepped aside for extended periods. None of that matters though, it's like the kid in the sandbox who throws sand in your eyes then calls foul when you punch him the face and you're the one who gets reprimanded.
Agreed.

My reference to "multiple people" was the labelling of players and teams as "chronic under performers" much less "chokers". Indeed, at least two posters (assuming they're not one poster under different names) were doing so. Encouraging each other to diss players and teams.

MD - not sure if you have the history, but the poster in question has used multiple usernames until they become toxic over time with the constant trolling, demeaning comments about certain players, and honestly a complete lack of understanding of the game or the athletes, then the username is changed

Angus = wlaxnut = cletus = outtanowhere
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:38 pm
Agreed.

MD - not sure if you have the history, but the poster in question has used multiple usernames until they become toxic over time with the constant trolling, demeaning comments about certain players, and honestly a complete lack of understanding of the game or the athletes, then the username is changed

I didn't have the full history, but did pick up on the last two, which had overlapped for many months of parallel usage. Which is why I was wondering about the bolded above.

The other moniker had just made some negative comments about the Dartmouth Women's program and its chances of continuing its trajectory, sorta out of the blue, and then was in the back and forth on labelling teams "chronic under performers" so seemed at least similar in tone to outtanowhere/Cletus. But I gave the benefit of the doubt that it was actually multiple people.

And thus my response was meant generally, not targeted at a sole poster's posts. I don't have a problem with outsize applause for particular players or programs, but when it becomes a way to disparage others as less worthy, and particularly when the posts are directly disparaging of youngsters and programs, that deserves pushback IMO. And if it seems to be just intended to generate ire, that's trolling.

Note, I don't think that actual comparative analysis of performances of players and coaches etc, based on facts and logic, is offensive. It's a sports discussion board, after all, not just a fan board. But if someone is just trying to get jollies by generalized disparagement of other's talents and efforts, it's very much missing the spirit of our sport...IMO.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

One of the great stories in 2021 was Gabby Rosenzweig transferring from Penn to Duke. I've always enjoyed watching Gabby play--the talent and exuberance in her game is electrifying. Back in mid May, her sister Livy sat down with Sheehan on The Stick Drop and spoke of her older sister. Here's one segment where she says, "She's the quickest first step I've ever seen."

Exhibit A:

laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:24 am Sure, marvel at the terrific play of specific kids, admire a given program's steady maintenance of a winning culture, etc...but don't diss kids, nor programs which haven't broken through...
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 am Note, I don't think that actual comparative analysis of performances of players and coaches etc, based on facts and logic, is offensive. It's a sports discussion board, after all, not just a fan board. But if someone is just trying to get jollies by generalized disparagement of other's talents and efforts, it's very much missing the spirit of our sport...IMO.
A little inconsistent here MD? Am I allowed to critique teams you like or no?

When a program consistently gets high-powered recruiting classes and consistently fails to perform up to the level one might expect based on talent, that's a valid thing to point out. Other programs have been discussed regarding this topic ad nauseam. I'm allowed to express my opinion about USC based on their past performances.

As for Dartmouth, I gave plenty of reasons why they have been uniquely screwed over, all of which are beyond the control of the coaches or players. I was enjoying watching this program rise and I hope they steady the ship quickly.

I'm a little confused why I'm being lumped in with a certain other poster based on these topics. I invite you to quote the posts you take issue with so I can provide clarity.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The Teddy Roosevelt quote will undoubtedly be forthcoming after the question about critiquing....right?

Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You suddenly changed your tune a little bit and showed a little respect when the word bombastic was thrown at you.
Here are some synonyms for the word:
synonyms:
pompous · blustering · ranting · blathering · verbose · wordy · turgid · periphrastic · euphuistic · orotund · pleonastic · high-flown · high-sounding · highfalutin · lofty · overwrought · convoluted · pretentious · affected · ostentatious · grandiloquent · magniloquent · fustian

Here is the definition, along with synonyms, of critique:
critique
[kriˈtēk]
NOUN
a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.
"a critique of Marxist historicism"
synonyms
analysis · evaluation · assessment · appraisal · appreciation · review · write-up · criticism · critical essay · textual examination · commentary · study · treatise · discourse · exposition · disquisition · account · exegesis · crit · anatomization

There is quite a difference there and that is the issue, you are quite softening your style when you use the word critique, that is an inaccurate description of the tone of many of your posts. Hence the flak you have received from many long time posters here. Critiquing teams and players has always been a part of LP/FL and sports in general, it is the harshness you chose to do it with that is the issue. If you want to dish out that kind of harshness you should sure as hell be able able to take the same kind of harsh criticism in return. Instead you run to Admin and tell him/them all the boys are picking on you and the game's gotten too rough for you. Jus' sayin'.

Frankly I don't see the issue with lah, think she (I think) has always been a reasonable poster....knowledgeable too.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:24 am Sure, marvel at the terrific play of specific kids, admire a given program's steady maintenance of a winning culture, etc...but don't diss kids, nor programs which haven't broken through...
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 am Note, I don't think that actual comparative analysis of performances of players and coaches etc, based on facts and logic, is offensive. It's a sports discussion board, after all, not just a fan board. But if someone is just trying to get jollies by generalized disparagement of other's talents and efforts, it's very much missing the spirit of our sport...IMO.
A little inconsistent here MD? Am I allowed to critique teams you like or no?

When a program consistently gets high-powered recruiting classes and consistently fails to perform up to the level one might expect based on talent, that's a valid thing to point out. Other programs have been discussed regarding this topic ad nauseam. I'm allowed to express my opinion about USC based on their past performances.

As for Dartmouth, I gave plenty of reasons why they have been uniquely screwed over, all of which are beyond the control of the coaches or players. I was enjoying watching this program rise and I hope they steady the ship quickly.

I'm a little confused why I'm being lumped in with a certain other poster based on these topics. I invite you to quote the posts you take issue with so I can provide clarity.
Sorry, you may have been confused by me with another poster and discussion.

I didn't think the Dartmouth discussion on the Ivy League thread was out of bounds, though I had no idea what the heck you were talking about in terms of 'screwed over'. I know that situation decently well and am reasonably confident that a very tough call was made to remove a very long time coach, revered in some corners, but removed for sound reasons IMO, and an attraction of a rising star coach...who indeed had the program rising nicely, left for Stanford ($), then an excellent choice for the next coach has the program continuing that trajectory. Feels like she could be very successful with the program. Fingers crossed.

But sure, Covid 'screwed over' the Ivies more generally. Recoverable, IMO.
Other than that, I don't see any "uniquely screwed over" aspect. Turnover in coaches, sure.
But going forward, I see a lot of very positive trends for Dartmouth Women's lax.

But yeah, I don't think labelling teams or players as "chronic under performers" much less "chokers" is a very interesting discussion and can be quite offensive.

More generically, who says what recruits are "high-powered"? IL ???
More so than the handful of teams which dominate the top 10?

Of course, posters will discuss whatever they want, I have zero influence, just an opinion. But when the purpose of posts is clearly to offend or insult, and there's a pattern of such, that's trolling.

If you're not doing that, I have no complaint. I might disagree with you, but it's a discussion board...we're supposed to disagree a bit!
OuttaNowhereWregget

This was a great moment from 2021--certainly for Jacksonville fans as the Dolphins won their first ever NCAA Tournament game. It was a fun game to watch as ol' Cletus recalled:

"By any chance, did anyone watch the end of the Jacksonville/Vandy game last night? Those amongst the Jacksonville fans with leather lungs in attendance were LOUD! And Funny! They were giving the refs a really loud hard time at certain points. There were I think two or three guys who were bellowing for a lot of the last quarter of the 2nd. They sounded half in the bag too. Toward the end when the Dolphins had the game well in hand, they started belting out a song I've only heard at hockey games previously, especially in the old Gahden when the Bruins would beat the Canadiens. But here is was, at a women's lacrosse game, being belted out lustily from the Jacksonville contingent--"Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey hey hey, goodbye!" No doubt those veterans of the Lungs of Leather should be back Sunday for the rematch with Florida, in full throat. Good for the game. They want to "grow the game"? They better be ready to welcome in fans like this."

@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 am
Agreed.

I didn't have the full history, but did pick up on the last two, which had overlapped for many months of parallel usage. Which is why I was wondering about the bolded above.

The other moniker had just made some negative comments about the Dartmouth Women's program and its chances of continuing its trajectory, sorta out of the blue, and then was in the back and forth on labelling teams "chronic under performers" so seemed at least similar in tone to outtanowhere/Cletus. But I gave the benefit of the doubt that it was actually multiple people.

And thus my response was meant generally, not targeted at a sole poster's posts. I don't have a problem with outsize applause for particular players or programs, but when it becomes a way to disparage others as less worthy, and particularly when the posts are directly disparaging of youngsters and programs, that deserves pushback IMO. And if it seems to be just intended to generate ire, that's trolling.

Note, I don't think that actual comparative analysis of performances of players and coaches etc, based on facts and logic, is offensive. It's a sports discussion board, after all, not just a fan board. But if someone is just trying to get jollies by generalized disparagement of other's talents and efforts, it's very much missing the spirit of our sport...IMO.
I will chalk it up to a combo of relative newness to the forum and not always paying attention, but the history of the troll makes so much sense now. I happened upon @wlaxnut on Twitter and immediately thought ... this guy sounds just like the troll over on the LaxPower BUS forum. A quick search over here confirms it is the same troll. Please stop feeding the troll.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:00 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 am
Agreed.

I will chalk it up to a combo of relative newness to the forum and not always paying attention, but the history of the troll makes so much sense now. I happened upon @wlaxnut on Twitter and immediately thought ... this guy sounds just like the troll over on the LaxPower BUS forum. A quick search over here confirms it is the same troll. Please stop feeding the troll.
Interesting.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:00 pm I will chalk it up to a combo of relative newness to the forum and not always paying attention, but the history of the troll makes so much sense now. I happened upon @wlaxnut on Twitter and immediately thought ... this guy sounds just like the troll over on the LaxPower BUS forum. A quick search over here confirms it is the same troll. Please stop feeding the troll.
inthe8m (and all), if you have an issue with a post-er, flag the relevant post but... Do not post personal attacks.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

admin wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:18 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:00 pm I will chalk it up to a combo of relative newness to the forum and not always paying attention, but the history of the troll makes so much sense now. I happened upon @wlaxnut on Twitter and immediately thought ... this guy sounds just like the troll over on the LaxPower BUS forum. A quick search over here confirms it is the same troll. Please stop feeding the troll.
inthe8m (and all), if you have an issue with a post-er, flag the relevant post but... Do not post personal attacks.
I have been travelling and had not seen this. Point taken, I will keep an eye out for personal attacks and let you know if I see any.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:25 pm
admin wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:18 pm
I have been travelling and had not seen this. Point taken, I will keep an eye out for personal attacks and let you know if I see any.
hall of fame worthy reply right there :lol:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:06 pm

hall of fame worthy reply right there :lol:
:lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

A feel good story to commemorate the '21 season--the final year of Gabby Rosenzweig (right in photo, left is sister Livy). Duke was a little more special to watch with the Penn transfer on the team. With all her attributes--skill, talent, exuberance, joy, competitiveness--she was a generational player for me, and a delight to watch.
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:13 pm Image

One of the great stories in 2021 was Gabby Rosenzweig transferring from Penn to Duke. I've always enjoyed watching Gabby play--the talent and exuberance in her game is electrifying. Back in mid May, her sister Livy sat down with Sheehan on The Stick Drop and spoke of her older sister. Here's one segment where she says, "She's the quickest first step I've ever seen."

Exhibit A:

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:30 am A feel good story to commemorate the '21 season--the final year of Gabby Rosenzweig (right in photo, left is sister Livy). Duke was a little more special to watch with the Penn transfer on the team. With all her attributes--skill, talent, exuberance, joy, competitiveness--she was a generational player for me, and a delight to watch.
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:13 pm Image

Now that this is unlocked, I can ask the question. Why is this being posted again? I love Gabby and Livy, but why post something you originally posted 11 months ago? Are you just posting to post? Real question.....

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”