New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
tothedraw

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by tothedraw »

Yes, I mean the large majority of the conference. Look how long both those schools have had programs and no one else is getting on board.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm Yes, I mean the large majority of the conference. Look how long both those schools have had programs and no one else is getting on board.
They are not getting "on board" because its not the easy process to do so with the need to balance Men's and Women's programs in accordance with Title IX. Georgia almost certainly will make an attempt in the next 10 years in my opinion, lacrosse is growing down there. I could see Texas A&M as well.

Joe
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I understand how the process works and am fully aware of Title IX. They are big time football schools, so I would imagine they want female athletes. Lacrosse is definitely growing in that region, we will see if the colleges choose to tap into the market . Florida did it well by building a dedicated facility and having a staff in place a year (maybe 2) before they went "live".
My comment was about national broadcasting and trying to compete with the viewership of Softball which has 13 teams from that conf. participating. I just think it's a fan base who supports and watches a lot of college athletics in general.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 pm I understand how the process works and am fully aware of Title IX. They are big time football schools, so I would imagine they want female athletes. Lacrosse is definitely growing in that region, we will see if the colleges choose to tap into the market . Florida did it well by building a dedicated facility and having a staff in place a year (maybe 2) before they went "live".
My comment was about national broadcasting and trying to compete with the viewership of Softball which has 13 teams from that conf. participating. I just think it's a fan base who supports and watches a lot of college athletics in general.
Draw,

I agree, good post.

Joe
glaxer24

New Pro Game Rules

Post by glaxer24 »

03C655C3-518D-4AAE-8C55-7F6864DD6B42.jpeg
03C655C3-518D-4AAE-8C55-7F6864DD6B42.jpeg (250.74 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
Thoughts??
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: New Pro Game Rules

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

glaxer24 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:25 pm Thoughts??
My gut reaction is I don't like it. I've seen some action from "sixes" games (which I know isn't this) that I hated for a number of reasons. Mainly, that there are too many differences from the college game I love. I'm afraid they'll bring some of these changes to the collegiate level to "grow the game" and "make it more fan friendly". "Horse Hockey!" As Colonel Potter was wont to say.

If I can be assured that this league won't bring the variations into the NCAA, I'm fine with it. I enjoyed watching the old WPLL and even thought some of the variations were fun to watch--as a novelty, but not to be adopted into the college ranks.

OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:37 pm
glaxer24 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:25 pm Thoughts??
My gut reaction is I don't like it. I've seen some action from "sixes" games (which I know isn't this) that I hated for a number of reasons. Mainly, that there are too many differences from the college game I love. I'm afraid they'll bring some of these changes to the collegiate level to "grow the game" and "make it more fan friendly". "Horse Hockey!" As Colonel Potter was wont to say.

If I can be assured that this league won't bring the variations into the NCAA, I'm fine with it. I enjoyed watching the old WPLL and even thought some of the variations were fun to watch--as a novelty, but not to be adopted into the college ranks.

As long as Aly Messinger came up, I just have to share this great moment from the 2016 Title game vs Maryland where the Tar Heels beat the Terps for the 2nd time for an NCAA Championship.

(Close your eyes and block your ears, LarryGamLax 😂)

LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

glaxer24 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:25 pm 03C655C3-518D-4AAE-8C55-7F6864DD6B42.jpeg
Thoughts??

ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!! That is not Lacrosse and I'm not interested in watching a Lacrosse game turn into a Basketball game. If I want to watch Bball, I will watch Bball players.
This is ridiculous. Will not watch and will not support it. Sorry, but I have put in a lot of time into this sport over the many years, in many different ways. To see it reduced to this is asinine, asi-ten, asi-eleven!!
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:05 am ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!! That is not Lacrosse and I'm not interested in watching a Lacrosse game turn into a Basketball game. If I want to watch Bball, I will watch Bball players.
This is ridiculous. Will not watch and will not support it. Sorry, but I have put in a lot of time into this sport over the many years, in many different ways. To see it reduced to this is asinine, asi-ten, asi-eleven!!
I'm trying to be less bombastic these days but I absolutely, completely and unequivocally agree with Larry here. (Alert the media!)
DMac

Post by DMac »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:05 am To see it reduced to this is asinine, asi-ten, asi-eleven!!
I like that, I'll be stealing it. Just lettin' ya know.
I have taken heat over the years for saying that I don't care what the casual fan likes/thinks (and I don't really mean that disrespectfully). This is what you end up with when "growing the game" and appealing to the casual fan is bigger to you than the game itself. This is an abomination and the selling out of the game for the almighty dollar, and the dummying down of the game in order make the rest of the world more competitive. You know right now who wins the Gold, Silver, and Bronze (maybe not the order but you know the teams) if traditional lacrosse is played in the Olympics, which is why the push to get it in the Olympics is asinine, asi-ten, and even asi-eleven, :mrgreen: the world just isn't ready for it (not to mention that the World Games is already just fantastic without the IOC involved). So what do you do? You throw respect for the game out the window and change it to appeal to my favorites...the casual fan. You play the much more familiar and known game of basketball with sticks in hopes of grabbing that crowd while giving no consideration to the history and spirit of the game. It's all about viewership and the money, there will be (already is) a big push for this game, they don't give a schidt about the game, it's about that casual fan. The name of the game needs to be changed to lafaux or lahoops the way I see it cuz it sure as hell aint lacrosse.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:05 am
glaxer24 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:25 pm 03C655C3-518D-4AAE-8C55-7F6864DD6B42.jpeg
Thoughts??

ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!! That is not Lacrosse and I'm not interested in watching a Lacrosse game turn into a Basketball game. If I want to watch Bball, I will watch Bball players.
Agree with you on this one.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Bart wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:42 am
Thoughts??

Me too.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:02 am
Thoughts??

Me too.
Also not a fan :lol: I think the worst part for me is the 32 minute games. I’m flying in, flight lands at 11:20, game starts at 12, hour to the airport, so I’ll be missing the entire first game :cry: Luckily there are 2 games each day, but still not happy about this
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

glaxer24 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:06 am
seacoaster wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:02 am
Thoughts??

Me too.
Also not a fan :lol: I think the worst part for me is the 32 minute games. I’m flying in, flight lands at 11:20, game starts at 12, hour to the airport, so I’ll be missing the entire first game :cry: Luckily there are 2 games each day, but still not happy about this
I guess, to put words around it, I don't like it because it is not the game, but a cheap version of it, that jettisons many of the strategic moments that lacrosse features such as the draw, and basically eliminates the elegance of the game by jamming it into a smaller space. Awful.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dmac..."To see it reduced to this is asinine, asi-ten, asi-eleven!!"

That is not anything original from me. I got that from of all places the old FIRST TAKE w/Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. They both used to say it in referring to something outlandish, I still think it's funny and will use it from time to time.

No copyright or infringement, so use it as you want. I will always enjoy it and laugh. :lol:
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

As I have said many times before The world is not ready for Pro Women's Lacrosse. Men's Pro is only doing okay because of the Big Bucks and Big Network behind it. The women have neither. The WNBA exist because of the support of the NBA. If the NBA decided tomorrow to withdraw from the WNBA, that league folds overnight. Sit down and watch a WNBA game. More than half the arena is covered in Blackout screens because they are not drawing anything close to NBA numbers. If Basketball(one of the three most popular sports in the world) isn't drawing the numbers, then what do you think Women's Lacrosse will do?

The time is not right for this. Lacrosse still needs to grow and DIVERSIFY before it can really gain mass acceptance and popularity.

BTW...if you don't believe me, fact check and post your findings. I have no problem admitting if I'm wrong. And keep in mind that Women's/Girl's athletics are my Business.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Agreed Larry. I'm a huge high school/college lacrosse fan. Have not watched one single pro game. Now World Cup games, I'd tune in for. It's just a different beast and hard to get eyes on.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:44 pm As I have said many times before The world is not ready for Pro Women's Lacrosse. Men's Pro is only doing okay because of the Big Bucks and Big Network behind it. The women have neither. The WNBA exist because of the support of the NBA. If the NBA decided tomorrow to withdraw from the WNBA, that league folds overnight. Sit down and watch a WNBA game. More than half the arena is covered in Blackout screens because they are not drawing anything close to NBA numbers. If Basketball(one of the three most popular sports in the world) isn't drawing the numbers, then what do you think Women's Lacrosse will do?

The time is not right for this. Lacrosse still needs to grow and DIVERSIFY before it can really gain mass acceptance and popularity.

BTW...if you don't believe me, fact check and post your findings. I have no problem admitting if I'm wrong. And keep in mind that Women's/Girl's athletics are my Business.

The men’s league is not doing “okay”. It is a fiscal disaster. The women’s league will fare even worse. The only fans will be the parents of the players.
DMac

Post by DMac »

When I first saw pro wlax (was it the WLL?) I loved it and looked forward to watching every time I could catch a game. Remember saying please bring this game and rules to the college ranks, this is the way, IMHO, the game should be played. A lot of those rules have been brought to the college ranks now and I think the game is just incredible these days. The product is there, the players in both w & mlax are incredible, they're really the best players in the world and the games are pretty darn good....the passing and shooting is just phenomenal. How you get people to go to these games is beyond me but it's not because the product is not good that attendance is dismal. In the grand scheme of things lacrosse is still just a small niche sport and I'm not so sure that will likely change in the foreseeable future. I don't think there are enough people in this country who care enough about lacrosse to draw any kind of big numbers to go watch pro lacrosse. College will draw more because more people have a reason to cheer for their team. Just the way I see it.
totc

Post by totc »

I think the pro game is a good product, but the thing is, it's so fast (60-second shot clock) that it's often hard to follow, even live.

I also find it interesting that two-thirds of the games are listed on the website as having "limited access." No explanation: is it COVID? Are these games to be attended by youth lacrosse players only? Are only the well-connected (i.e., the people buying Unlimited Club access) being allowed to attend?

The general public, as of today, cannot buy tickets for 20 of the 30 games. Having a ton of empty seats at Hendricks Field is not conducive to selling your product. Why is this happening?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”