All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:52 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:19 am https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... es-rising/

Here we go.

"Federal health officials sounded an alarm Friday about a surge in U.S. coronavirus infections fueled by the twin threats posed by the highly transmissible delta variant and a stagnation in efforts to vaccinate as many Americans as possible.

During a White House briefing, Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the seven-day average of coronavirus infections soared nearly 70 percent in just one week, to about 26,300 cases a day. The seven-day average for hospitalizations has increased, too, climbing about 36 percent from the previous seven-day period, she said.
Not sure this story from the TWP paints the entire picture. the big IF, is if deaths rise in correlation to those now being hospitalized and coming down with cv-19 or the DV. Otherwise, if they are just hospitalizations then releases, it will be viewed as just a bump in the road AND I now have the antibodies.

You can't scare people in to taking a shot, if they know they'll just be sick for a week then they can go about their way of life thereafter. If the chance of death having CV19 is not much different than a vaccine...what is the difference between injecting a vax vs ingesting a virus, when they both have a similar outcome.

To be clear, I am vaccinated, but how do you persuade someone to get the vaccine, when it was so politicized...hell, "Kamala Harris says she will be 'first in line' for a coronavirus vaccine if health experts approve it, but 'if Donald Trump tells us we should take it, then I'm not taking it'"

IMO, this is a perfect example of how effed up our partisan political system has become. Our own damned VP only got vaccinated b/c she was running for office. By her very words she would not take it b/c of TDS....until she had to take.
Is Donald Trump a health expert. You are adding a “but then” in there? The position is two distinct comparative scenarios. Kamala said “but then”? Use your intellect.
Not adding anything. mrs. chuckles said what she said.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:02 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:19 am https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... es-rising/

Here we go.

"Federal health officials sounded an alarm Friday about a surge in U.S. coronavirus infections fueled by the twin threats posed by the highly transmissible delta variant and a stagnation in efforts to vaccinate as many Americans as possible.

During a White House briefing, Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the seven-day average of coronavirus infections soared nearly 70 percent in just one week, to about 26,300 cases a day. The seven-day average for hospitalizations has increased, too, climbing about 36 percent from the previous seven-day period, she said.
Not sure this story from the TWP paints the entire picture. the big IF, is if deaths rise in correlation to those now being hospitalized and coming down with cv-19 or the DV. Otherwise, if they are just hospitalizations then releases, it will be viewed as just a bump in the road AND I now have the antibodies.

You can't scare people in to taking a shot, if they know they'll just be sick for a week then they can go about their way of life thereafter. If the chance of death having CV19 is not much different than a vaccine...what is the difference between injecting a vax vs ingesting a virus, when they both have a similar outcome.

To be clear, I am vaccinated, but how do you persuade someone to get the vaccine, when it was so politicized...hell, "Kamala Harris says she will be 'first in line' for a coronavirus vaccine if health experts approve it, but 'if Donald Trump tells us we should take it, then I'm not taking it'"

IMO, this is a perfect example of how effed up our partisan political system has become. Our own damned VP only got vaccinated b/c she was running for office. By her very words she would not take it b/c of TDS....until she had to take.
Is Donald Trump a health expert. You are adding a “but then” in there? The position is two distinct comparative scenarios. Kamala said “but then”? Use your intellect.
Exactly my point, Tiger.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:51 am Youth - you are absolutely, positively wrong about the chance of dying from the vaccine being anywhere near the chance of dying from the coronavirus.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-n ... vents.html
I agree the risk-benefit analysis favors getting vaccinated, at same time, citing anything the CDC is saying re Covid needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:05 am

Here we go.

Exactly my point, Tiger.
Mine as well. ANd yet, you all were saying Trump should come out and encourage everyone to get vaccinated and our own VP said "not if Trump tells me to take it". Might explain why so many in the minority community refuse to get vaccinated.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:06 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:51 am Youth - you are absolutely, positively wrong about the chance of dying from the vaccine being anywhere near the chance of dying from the coronavirus.

I agree the risk-benefit analysis favors getting vaccinated, at same time, citing anything the CDC is saying re Covid needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
I was not crystal clear in my original comment. My point was how the 'young adults' view the vaccine. They already believe they are invincible, they do not read data like we do, they do not watch news, the get all their info from the social media they chose to follow. I talked many in to getting vaccinated.

I have made this comment many times over.....why do we see so many minorities, primarily the black community, not get vaccinated?
~Livy

tech37

Post by tech37 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 am
tech37 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:06 am

I was not crystal clear in my original comment. My point was how the 'young adults' view the vaccine. They already believe they are invincible, they do not read data like we do, they do not watch news, the get all their info from the social media they chose to follow. I talked many in to getting vaccinated.

I have made this comment many times over.....why do we see so many minorities, primarily the black community, not get vaccinated?
Right. I'm curious what my daughter's school policy will be come Sept. My guess with how things are going, including a Covid spike in our county since July 4th, if not mandatory vaccination (I hope not), masking up again for sure.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:38 am Politicization of vaccination by county in the US in one picture (courtesy of Charles Gaba, of acasignups.net)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6dijp4XsAQUj-Q.jpg

Additional analysis of lower left section of graph (voted D, low vax rate) shows high minority populations.
So when I followed your link and searched Charles Gaba, he was also astounded to find the minority data set. It seems

First, let's look at the lower-left quadrant (counties which are deep blue politically but also have a low vaccination rate), since that would seem, on the surface, to go completely against my "Red/Blue = Vaccination Status" theme. What's going on there? Shouldn't these deep-blue counties have higher-than-average vaccination rates?

Well, I looked up the demographic breakout of of all 77 counties (via Wikipedia) and found something which is both deeply concerning and at the same time not at all surprising: 62 of them are more than 40% Black (in fact, 55 of those are majority Black counties). Of the remaining 13 counties, 7 are majority Native American (over 80% of the population, in fact), while 1 in Texas (Zavala County) is "91.22% Hispanic or Latino of any race" according to Wikipedia:

I have asked this question many times over.....why do we see so many minorities, primarily the black community, not get vaccinated?

Are they really republicans? Do they simply not trust the government (understandably so) much like Trump supporters not trusting the the democrats, is non-trust so deeply rooted in our history for them to NOT trust anything from our gov't. It is why I made my original post this morning from seacoasters WaPo article. I even posted an old grandmother instagram video a couple weeks back....when she was calling it poison.
~Livy

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:38 am Politicization of vaccination by county in the US in one picture (courtesy of Charles Gaba, of acasignups.net)

Additional analysis of lower left section of graph (voted D, low vax rate) shows high minority populations.
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but this is astonishing. How to Stupid.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:19 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6dijp4XsAQUj-Q.jpg

So when I followed your link and searched Charles Gaba, he was also astounded to find the minority data set. It seems

First, let's look at the lower-left quadrant (counties which are deep blue politically but also have a low vaccination rate), since that would seem, on the surface, to go completely against my "Red/Blue = Vaccination Status" theme. What's going on there? Shouldn't these deep-blue counties have higher-than-average vaccination rates?

Well, I looked up the demographic breakout of of all 77 counties (via Wikipedia) and found something which is both deeply concerning and at the same time not at all surprising: 62 of them are more than 40% Black (in fact, 55 of those are majority Black counties). Of the remaining 13 counties, 7 are majority Native American (over 80% of the population, in fact), while 1 in Texas (Zavala County) is "91.22% Hispanic or Latino of any race" according to Wikipedia:

I have asked this question many times over.....why do we see so many minorities, primarily the black community, not get vaccinated?

Are they really republicans? Do they simply not trust the government (understandably so) much like Trump supporters not trusting the the democrats, is non-trust so deeply rooted in our history for them to NOT trust anything from our gov't. It is why I made my original post this morning from seacoasters WaPo article. I even posted an old grandmother instagram video a couple weeks back....when she was calling it poison.
A general mistrust of "the system" and/or institutions, including healthcare?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Minority resistance is complicated by more than one factor.

Some possible contributions:
  • Distrust of institutions (Tuskeegee experiment, for example for the black population)
  • Lack of endorsements from within the communities - need to see/hear from their "own" population that getting vaccinated is safe and effective, not just from the CDC
  • Lack of nearby/reachable access
  • For those living in red states, administrations of states not pushing vaccination hard for political reasons (claimed to be economic - we have to open up, but the financial benefits of herd immunity are huge)
I am sure we can come up with some other reasons as well...
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:32 am Minority resistance is complicated by more than one factor.

Some possible contributions:
  • Distrust of institutions (Tuskeegee experiment, for example for the black population)
  • Lack of endorsements from within the communities - need to see/hear from their "own" population that getting vaccinated is safe and effective, not just from the CDC
  • Lack of nearby/reachable access
  • For those living in red states, administrations of states not pushing vaccination hard for political reasons (claimed to be economic - we have to open up, but the financial benefits of herd immunity are huge)
I am sure we can come up with some other reasons as well...
“Just like everyone else” would be another reason.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:07 am

Here we go.

Exactly my point, Tiger.
Mine as well. ANd yet, you all were saying Trump should come out and encourage everyone to get vaccinated and our own VP said "not if Trump tells me to take it". Might explain why so many in the minority community refuse to get vaccinated.
I was wrong about you. I can’t be right all the time.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:58 am

Here we go.

Exactly my point, Tiger.
....at least you finally admitted your judgmental.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:14 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:58 am

Here we go.

Exactly my point, Tiger.
....at least you finally admitted your judgmental.
Yes I am.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:20 am More mouth breathers….

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/two- ... er-report/
sèems like a pretty wide disparity between teams, without much reason other than maybe who's pushing it and reporting.

guessing it's nothing. though training camp is up soon.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:40 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:20 am More mouth breathers….

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/two- ... er-report/
sèems like a pretty wide disparity between teams, without much reason other than maybe who's pushing it and reporting.

guessing it's nothing. though training camp is up soon.
Yep. We will see how it goes IF training camps open…..all kinds of players from who knows where on those teams.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:21 am

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but this is astonishing. How to Stupid.
My guess is we'd see a tighter band/correlation with educational attainment. The combination of these two factors would be quite tight.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:06 am Convincing the Skeptics

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/07/ ... -skeptics/
hmmm, and how do we "convince the skeptics" that Biden won the election fair and square?

Much of what the article suggests is fair, messaging really does matter.

But here's the thing: a whole lot of people have been told again and again and again to distrust experts generally and government in specific...and of course, sometimes skepticism is warranted...but on the other hand, there's an active campaign of disinformation on this topic. A very large such campaign.

What the article fundamentally misses, indeed which most people miss, is that human beings are downright awful at risk or cost/benefit analysis. We way overweight short term costs and way underweight long term benefits.

It also ignores that human beings, while a subset are capable of altruism, way overweight their own interests over those of the community...and undervalue what others do that benefit us, the community benefits to the individual...human nature overvalues selfishness and undervalues community, yet we are also biologically impelled to depend upon others...which is why we need "fences" and government to enforce those fences.

Instead the article supposes that people are acting rationally...no, human beings are actually quite irrational in making these choices. Pretending otherwise is exactly the problem.

So, back to the fundamental 'consent of the governed' to be governed by those with legitimacy...in our case through elections. Yet, we have a huge part of this country openly and vehemently unwilling to accept an election in which election officials in their own party have repeatedly said, and demonstrated, was free and fair.

"Nope, I didn't get my way, so I'm not going to play ball."
Over weighting selfish, short term interest over long term benefit of community.

Return to “POLITICS”