All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

jhu72

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

... I don't think mass testing is going to make much difference where we are currently. Infection rates and deaths are pretty good metrics once you are vaccinating. What we need is for vaccination rates to go back to what they were in the late spring.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:58 pm ... I don't think mass testing is going to make much difference where we are currently. Infection rates and deaths are pretty good metrics once you are vaccinating. What we need is for vaccination rates to go back to what they were in the late spring.
no way we're gonna be china, japan, australia, new zealand, thailand or vietnam with an attitude like that.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:32 pm last i saw 12-15s were at about 35%. stepping on the gas for 6-12s isn't going to help much in avoiding a cluster. if r0 truly is closer to 6 with delta, there's going to be infection happening. and there always was going to be.

and as it's a one lane construction zone (20k per day infection in the whole u.s.), that "maybe by the fall" may very well go back to "early '22" anyway.

my hope is our very high numbers for seniors gets better, same with any immunocompromised if they can vaxx, and the numbers at least for 50's and maybe 40s get a bit better over time.
I never thought Covid would be gone anytime soon. I can live with something that’s not too disruptive. We will see what the fall brings. I have hope that the fall peak is 1/4 to 1/3 of what it was last year. That would be a big step. Anything better than that is a home run. Time will tell.
Unless vaccination rates kick up soon, I think your fall dream will be a disappointment.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:03 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:32 pm last i saw 12-15s were at about 35%. stepping on the gas for 6-12s isn't going to help much in avoiding a cluster. if r0 truly is closer to 6 with delta, there's going to be infection happening. and there always was going to be.

and as it's a one lane construction zone (20k per day infection in the whole u.s.), that "maybe by the fall" may very well go back to "early '22" anyway.

my hope is our very high numbers for seniors gets better, same with any immunocompromised if they can vaxx, and the numbers at least for 50's and maybe 40s get a bit better over time.
I never thought Covid would be gone anytime soon. I can live with something that’s not too disruptive. We will see what the fall brings. I have hope that the fall peak is 1/4 to 1/3 of what it was last year. That would be a big step. Anything better than that is a home run. Time will tell.
Unless vaccination rates kick up soon, I think your fall dream will be a disappointment.
That is what I am afraid of.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

no way we're gonna be china, japan, australia, new zealand, thailand or vietnam with an attitude like that.
Yup. Some of the Covid hero countries are now zeros due to lousy vax roll outs.

Australia has really screwed the pooch -- dead last in the OECD for vaxes.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

this is joe's chance. the 28 - 41 million mouth breathers at wal-mart aren't answering the cattle call blue light special.

but the 56 - 69 million others are in play.
#squashthevirus
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:32 pm

this is joe's chance. the 28 - 41 million mouth breathers at wal-mart aren't answering the cattle call blue light special.

#squashthevirus
... what can he do, if these people don't want to be vaccinated? The FEDS are not going to mandate it, they have made that pretty clear. The private sector and the states are the only ones that can mandate or people can just change their minds. Door knocking will be tried, but I am skeptical that it will improve the situation by much.

PS: There is also this meme being repeated about people not willing to be vaccinated because they are waiting for FDA general marketing approval. I am skeptical that is anything but a convenient excuse.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:41 pm

#squashthevirus
... what can he do, if these people don't want to be vaccinated? The FEDS are not going to mandate it, they have made that pretty clear. The private sector and the states are the only ones that can mandate or people can just change their minds. Door knocking will be tried, but I am skeptical that it will improve the situation by much.

PS: There is also this meme being repeated about people not willing to be vaccinated because they are waiting for FDA general marketing approval. I am skeptical that is anything but a convenient excuse.
i'm not in charge, dunno. somebody should have a plan, though. i could list a lot of things as possibles. so could you.

it's said messaging is important. people go with what's foremost in their memories. anything well done that could erase the tone pre-election on the vaxx would help.
transparency could be part of that messaging? how about if it was blasted how many people have died since end-jan fully (and even partially since early jan) vaccinated vs unvaccinated? what are those raw numbers? the "see how it's going crowd", which is supposed to be pretty big, might lap that up. billboard counters everywhere or too morbid?

haven't lots of peeps said access is an issue for some parts of society? if that's true, shouldn't we be able to find out where that is and help solve it?

we have databases on who got vaxxed and then demographic data (minorities, political affiliation) on who didn't. can't they be targeted locally using fed and vax portal big data? maybe they are already.

people are back to work many places. are there businesses in suburbs that are large enough they could run "door to door", pay the business for an hour of employees' time and leverage 50-150 possibles at once vs "door to door"?

how 'bout the walmart cattle call? instead of offering free vaxx, think they might get a few walmart takers if they were advertising 1/2 off your bill, point of sale, up to $100 off $200 24/7? we're still describing walmart shoppers socioeconomically? we probably have some jnj to still get out of inventory if we're afraid they won't come back.

those might all be dumb ideas. maybe there are better ones. it's gold star on the prez if it can be done, though.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:27 pm

#squashthevirus

i'm not in charge, dunno. somebody should have a plan, though. i could list a lot of things as possibles. so could you.

it's said messaging is important. people go with what's foremost in their memories. anything well done that could erase the tone pre-election on the vaxx would help.
transparency could be part of that messaging? how about if it was blasted how many people have died since end-jan fully (and even partially since early jan) vaccinated vs unvaccinated? what are those raw numbers? the "see how it's going crowd", which is supposed to be pretty big, might lap that up. billboard counters everywhere or too morbid?

haven't lots of peeps said access is an issue for some parts of society? if that's true, shouldn't we be able to find out where that is and help solve it?

we have databases on who got vaxxed and then demographic data (minorities, political affiliation) on who didn't. can't they be targeted locally using fed and vax portal big data? maybe they are already.

people are back to work many places. are there businesses in suburbs that are large enough they could run "door to door", pay the business for an hour of employees' time and leverage 50-150 possibles at once vs "door to door"?

how 'bout the walmart cattle call? instead of offering free vaxx, think they might get a few walmart takers if they were advertising 1/2 off your bill, point of sale, up to $100 off $200 24/7? we're still describing walmart shoppers socioeconomically? we probably have some jnj to still get out of inventory if we're afraid they won't come back.

those might all be dumb ideas. maybe there are better ones. it's gold star on the prez if it can be done, though.
Really like this idea! They are performing outreach in the black and Hispanic communities, have been for a while. I am not seeing any evidence that it is working.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Our obsession with domestic vaccination rates is myopic & a misuse of resources & political energy.

With the Delta & other inevitable future variants, everyone globally who is not vaccinated will eventually be infected.
The virus may be weakened enough to be less deadly, but it will continue to spread until true global herd immunity is attained.

Rather than wasting political energy to convince resisters -- ship their doses overseas, where they can have the greatest immediate impact.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:19 pm
Our obsession with domestic vaccination rates is myopic & a misuse of resources & political energy.

With the Delta & other inevitable future variants, everyone globally who is not vaccinated will eventually be infected.
The virus may be weakened enough to be less deadly, but it will continue to spread until true global herd immunity is attained.

Rather than wasting political energy to convince resisters -- ship their doses overseas, where they can have the greatest immediate impact.
maybe they are already?
as of june 21, no longer listing shipments. didn't find any news releases on it. but that's weird.
https://data.cdc.gov/Vaccinations/Natio ... /sxbq-3sid
looks like pfizer at 215-220, which might put mrna/jnj at a similar level.
440 or so as of june 21, and 335 or so in arms.

i know joe purchased another like 2, 3 or 400 million just in case and bc money is no object, so vaxx to ship.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:19 pm

... the FEDS are considering this according to talking heads I have heard.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:41 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:27 pm

#squashthevirus

Really like this idea! They are performing outreach in the black and Hispanic communities, have been for a while. I am not seeing any evidence that it is working.
+1

Pennies on the dollar now, to avoid another year of shutdowns...
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-co ... -saturday/

well that didn't last long. 2 weeks after the statewide mask mandate is lifted, la county has seen trends reverse as could be expected, and the masks are back on.

no word whether the health chief reached out to cdc to see whether they've changed their stance on vaccinated indoors and at what levels.
#followthescience
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:11 pm https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-co ... -saturday/

well that didn't last long. 2 weeks after the statewide mask mandate is lifted, la county has seen trends reverse as could be expected, and the masks are back on.

no word whether the health chief reached out to cdc to see whether they've changed their stance on vaccinated indoors and at what levels.
#followthescience
la and sk should huddle up: https://twitter.com/ianmsc/status/14153 ... 96576?s=21
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:26 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:11 pm https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-co ... -saturday/

#followthescience
la and sk should huddle up: https://twitter.com/ianmsc/status/14153 ... 96576?s=21
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... ing-virus/

This may be a clue.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

#followthescience
it would've been higher if there were no mandates or compliance was lower.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:36 pm

#followthescience

This may be a clue.
copy and paste me the juicy parts. wapo is freezing me out.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:46 pm

#followthescience

This may be a clue.
Cases went up as mask and social distance mandates eased. I guess South Koreans are humans too🤷‍♂️
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:08 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:46 pm

#followthescience

This may be a clue.
Cases went up as mask and social distance mandates eased. I guess South Koreans are humans too🤷‍♂️
that's the confirm on masks in the community i've been looking for. thank you.

Return to “POLITICS”