Voting Rights

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Voting Rights

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:32 pm Can anyone please share succinctly, why this Texas voting bill is a bad thing? To me, all it seems to do is provide standards for a higher security protection of the voting process? Where does it even begin to come close to Jim Crow shenanigan's as Biden claims?

Each of the bullet points listed here: https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 953443002/
Explained here:

https://www.vox.com/2021/7/13/22573680/ ... ion-quorum

Seems to me that it's clear that voters of color, primarily working class such, used overnight voting and drive thru voting disproportionately to white voters in rural, less dense areas. Texas limits the number of voting places and machines in heavily populated areas, typically densely Dem, which causes long lines waiting to vote...which is much harder to deal with if you are poor or working class...overnight and drive thru made it easier to actually vote. It was pandemic inspired, but scared the bejesus out of the GOP as it really did enable more voters to vote...legally. Jim Crow voter suppression laws involved all sorts of ways intended to make voting harder, to discourage black and brown voters from having access or risking repercussions...simply from voting.

But partisan poll watchers is probably the most directly akin to the bad old days of Jim Crow voter intimidation. What they're demanding is the right for the partisan poll watcher to come up directly to voters, identify them (as a partisan), challenge them, watch them vote up close. Jim Crow worked...voters were intimidated.

There's really no question that Texas has existing laws that are intentionally favoring votes from likely GOP areas and voters, and suppressing likely Dem voters...and these are intended to ratchet that up.
your article is full of extra words to dance around the subject matter.

Try this one on for size: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/lo ... g/2680154/
Where does it say partisan poll watchers can engage with voters?

So the argument is black voters like to vote at night....does requesting a mail in ballot make voting harder or easier for any race? Last I checked even ggait praises Colorado's mail in procedures. All Texas asks....is prove you are who you say you are. I bet those minority democrats showed thier ID to fly to DC. :lol:

The arguments brought forth seem to make it much safer, especially with video recording....you know, like that thing all police now wear for "documenting purposes"...I'm sure that'll be seen as racists any day now as well. :lol: :roll:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:32 pm Can anyone please share succinctly, why this Texas voting bill is a bad thing? To me, all it seems to do is provide standards for a higher security protection of the voting process? Where does it even begin to come close to Jim Crow shenanigan's as Biden claims?

Each of the bullet points listed here: https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 953443002/
Explained here:

Seems to me that it's clear that voters of color, primarily working class such, used overnight voting and drive thru voting disproportionately to white voters in rural, less dense areas. Texas limits the number of voting places and machines in heavily populated areas, typically densely Dem, which causes long lines waiting to vote...which is much harder to deal with if you are poor or working class...overnight and drive thru made it easier to actually vote. It was pandemic inspired, but scared the bejesus out of the GOP as it really did enable more voters to vote...legally. Jim Crow voter suppression laws involved all sorts of ways intended to make voting harder, to discourage black and brown voters from having access or risking repercussions...simply from voting.

But partisan poll watchers is probably the most directly akin to the bad old days of Jim Crow voter intimidation. What they're demanding is the right for the partisan poll watcher to come up directly to voters, identify them (as a partisan), challenge them, watch them vote up close. Jim Crow worked...voters were intimidated.

There's really no question that Texas has existing laws that are intentionally favoring votes from likely GOP areas and voters, and suppressing likely Dem voters...and these are intended to ratchet that up.

Try this one on for size: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/lo ... g/2680154/

So the argument is black voters like to vote at night....does requesting a mail in ballot make voting harder or easier for any race? Last I checked even ggait praises Colorado's mail in procedures. All Texas asks....is prove you are who you say you are. I bet those minority democrats showed thier ID to fly to DC. :lol:

The arguments brought forth seem to make it much safer, especially with video recording....you know, like that thing all police now wear for "documenting purposes"...I'm sure that'll be seen as racists any day now as well. :lol: :roll:
Anyone give a reason for these changes? What were the findings after the investigations of the last few elections concluded? That would give us a clue as to what some the problems have been. Good to see them addressed.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:34 pm

Explained here:

Anyone give a reason for these changes? What were the findings after the investigations of the last few elections concluded? That would give us a clue as to what some the problems have been. Good to see them addressed.
Is there a reason to look in the review mirror, so long as the intent is to add 'more security measures' that assure each vote counts appropriately, and IF called into question there are simple safe standards by which to measure.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:47 pm

Explained here:

Is there a reason to look in the review mirror, so long as the intent is to add 'more security measures' that assure each vote counts appropriately, and IF called into question there are simple safe standards by which to measure.
Yup, benefit of the doubt on such changes goes to those they will disproportionately impact...unless it can be clearly shown that such changes were actually needed; which they don't even bother to do...under the Voting Rights Act, Texas would never have been able to do all all this baloney, wouldn't have mattered whether a GOP POTUS or DEM POTUS and AG/DOJ. Roberts blew it when he said he trusted that the old civil rights violators wouldn't resume their activities if given a chance. Oops.
Typical Lax Dad

Explained here:

I was just looking for a clue.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Explained here:

Yup, benefit of the doubt on such changes goes to those they will disproportionately impact...unless it can be clearly shown that such changes were actually needed; which they don't even bother to do...under the Voting Rights Act, Texas would never have been able to do all all this baloney, wouldn't have mattered whether a GOP POTUS or DEM POTUS and AG/DOJ. Roberts blew it when he said he trusted that the old civil rights violators wouldn't resume their activities if given a chance. Oops.
No one has yet clearly articulated how the highlighted portion in red is based on any fact...as written in the proposed bill...currently its all conjecture and hyperbole. And yet....no one opposing it will acknowledge it actually makes the election much more secure, which one would think would be the ultimate goal.

One could argue....if people believe black people are incapable of requesting a main in ballot, well, then, maybe they have something they are either hiding or not being forthright in their statements? Hard pill to swallow, that voting at night and a poll "WATCHER" is reason to discourage a safer voting process.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Explained here:

No one has yet clearly articulated how the highlighted portion in red is based on any fact...as written in the proposed bill...currently its all conjecture and hyperbole. And yet....no one opposing it will acknowledge it actually makes the election much more secure, which one would think would be the ultimate goal.

One could argue....if people believe black people are incapable of requesting a main in ballot, well, then, maybe they have something they are either hiding or not being forthright in their statements? Hard pill to swallow, that voting at night and a poll "WATCHER" is reason to discourage a safer voting process.
What were the security failures uncovered over the course of the investigation? What clues were found? What needs to be shored up?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:27 pm

Explained here:

What were the security failures uncovered over the course of the investigation? What clues were found? What needs to be shored up?
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Explained here:

Maybe those Dems in Texas can bring in the Philly crew to help provide security at the voting sites? They may have to leave the crowbars behind?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Explained here:

youth, I had just articulated exactly why there's a disproportionate impact. It ain't rocket science.

This is what I explained, summarizing a few takeaways from that article...I can find you a dozen more such articles.

Bottomline, if you can't show a clear need to make a change, you lose the benefit of the doubt if you're Texas or any of the other old civil rights violators. And these yahoos aren't even bothering to try
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:27 pm

Explained here:

Is there a reason not to? More security measures against what? What were the clues?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Too many voters.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:49 pm Too many voters.
Quite true.....the new laws actually make it far easier to vote....just ask for a ballot and submit it, done! No car...no problem, sick...no problem, out of town...no problem, shutin.....no problem, work a 24 hour shift....no problem, cheating....you got problem. :lol:

You could even shut down all the polling places (cancels the silly night voting issue) and vote by mail cancels out the poll watcher boogey man hyperbolic insulation.

At the end of the day, you have clean election with DL or SS numbers attached to ballot, no fuss-no muss. And when Covid-20 hits...you are all set, which answers TLD's argument about reasons to change.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:09 pm
Quite true.....the new laws actually make it far easier to vote....just ask for a ballot and submit it, done! No car...no problem, sick...no problem, out of town...no problem, shutin.....no problem, work a 24 hour shift....no problem, cheating....you got problem. :lol:

You could even shut down all the polling places (cancels the silly night voting issue) and vote by mail cancels out the poll watcher boogey man hyperbolic insulation.

At the end of the day, you have clean election with DL or SS numbers attached to ballot, no fuss-no muss. And when Covid-20 hits...you are all set, which answers TLD's argument about reasons to change.
What was Texas voter turnout during this past election, chief?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Cool, no disagreement. We're solid!
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:25 pm

The AP has an 'explainer' on the topic. Pretty even handed.
https://apnews.com/article/health-gover ... 5f49b8ddbf

On mail-in voting:

NEW HURDLES TO MAIL VOTING

Texas is already one of the hardest states in the nation in which to vote by mail. The process is limited to those 65 and older, people who will be out of state during the election or people who are disabled. But after Trump objected to mail voting during his failed reelection campaign, Republicans in Texas and elsewhere turned against the method and have been eager to tighten regulations on it.

The Texas bill requires mail voters to include identification numbers on their envelopes and applications that must match data on their voter registration. They’d have to include their driver’s license number — although an expired one would suffice. If they don’t have a driver’s license, they can include the final four digits of their Social Security number.

Opponents of the provision — somewhat similar to one that passed in Georgia — say it is creating another opportunity for voters to make minor mistakes. Additional steps and paperwork raise the risk of ballots being discarded.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:25 pm

The AP has an 'explainer' on the topic. Pretty even handed.
https://apnews.com/article/health-gover ... 5f49b8ddbf

On mail-in voting:

NEW HURDLES TO MAIL VOTING

Texas is already one of the hardest states in the nation in which to vote by mail. The process is limited to those 65 and older, people who will be out of state during the election or people who are disabled. But after Trump objected to mail voting during his failed reelection campaign, Republicans in Texas and elsewhere turned against the method and have been eager to tighten regulations on it.

The Texas bill requires mail voters to include identification numbers on their envelopes and applications that must match data on their voter registration. They’d have to include their driver’s license number — although an expired one would suffice. If they don’t have a driver’s license, they can include the final four digits of their Social Security number.

Opponents of the provision — somewhat similar to one that passed in Georgia — say it is creating another opportunity for voters to make minor mistakes. Additional steps and paperwork raise the risk of ballots being discarded.
Yep….is that a 2 or a 5? Toss it out.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Explained here:

--- you can drive a truck through the phrase give poll watchers more "freedom of movement." Just who the fu*k are these poll watchers?? how does one get to be a poll watcher?? Are their equal numbers from the two parties?? How many are there?? Why can no one working at the polling place challenge their behavior?? Seems an awful lot of power being vested in these people. Sounds like the definition of "head Nazi".
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Explained here:

--- you can drive a truck through the phrase give poll watchers more "freedom of movement." Just who the fu*k are these poll watchers?? how does one get to be a poll watcher?? Are their equal numbers from the two parties?? How many are there?? Why can no one working at the polling place challenge their behavior?? Seems an awful lot of power being vested in these people. Sounds like the definition of "head Nazi".
Law abiding citizens.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Explained here:

They already have poll watchers, it’s nothing new, other than the ability to move more freely and observe the elections workers. It’s merely neutral checks and balances.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”