Voting Rights

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: Voting Rights

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:38 pm Are we supposed to think that's actually funny?
Not necessarily.
Satire isn't always funny.
It also uses exaggeration, ridicule and irony to make a point. Which it does.
And it's spot on...if you read a few posters around here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So you’re suggesting the Babylon bee is similar to Samuel Beckett or Flannery O’Conner?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:38 pm Are we supposed to think that's actually funny?
Not necessarily.
Well good, you agree it's not funny.
No, it's just dumb.
Those aren't even exaggerations based off of reality, much less ironic...

I was wondering, whether the satire, the ridicule, you know, the joke might really be on the right wing nut jobs who might actually think those arguments, or something similar, get made by the left?

After all, the insurrection was actually darn serious, and the Big Lie has been so thoroughly discredited in every court that maybe the only ridicule left is on this who continue to go down this rat hole.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:04 am
Not necessarily.
No, it's just dumb.

I was wondering, whether the satire, the ridicule, you know, the joke might really be on the right wing nut jobs who might actually think those arguments, or something similar, get made by the left?

After all, the insurrection was actually darn serious, and the Big Lie has been so thoroughly discredited in every court that maybe the only ridicule left is on this who continue to go down this rat hole.
Different people MD have a different interpretation of satire and what is funny. There were folks on this forum who thought Kathy Griffin holding up a decapitated trump head was very funny. What say you about that kind sir? BTW, since when are you up at 1am on a Sunday morning? ;) My view of satire is that nothing and I mean nothing is off limits anymore.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:59 am
Not necessarily.
No, it's just dumb.

Different people MD have a different interpretation of satire and what is funny. There were folks on this forum who thought Kathy Griffin holding up a decapitated trump head was very funny. What say you about that kind sir? BTW, since when are you up at 1am on a Sunday morning? ;) My view of satire is that nothing and I mean nothing is off limits anymore.
Actually, I don't recall anyone on LP considering it a funny photo, much less very funny.

There was a defense of at least the right, as a comic, to do gross, dumb, even offensive things without excessive blowback and canceling. Some jokes fall very flat...and hers did. Move on. At least that was the argument.

Babylon Bee is understood to be in the satire business, not the information business...they should be able to write gross, dumb, even offensive things too.

But they're still dumb etc.

Son's friends were here late. Great smoked pork, corn on the cob, salad, beers...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:58 am So you’re suggesting the Babylon bee is similar to Samuel Beckett or Flannery O’Conner?
Nope. Just because one writes satire, doesn't make people alike, at all.
And really, IMO, O'Conner wasn't really a "satiric" writer, despite her use of irony and sardonic humor.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:09 am
Not necessarily.
No, it's just dumb.

Actually, I don't recall anyone on LP considering it a funny photo, much less very funny.

There was a defense of at least the right, as a comic, to do gross, dumb, even offensive things without excessive blowback and canceling. Some jokes fall very flat...and hers did. Move on. At least that was the argument.

Babylon Bee is understood to be in the satire business, not the information business...they should be able to write gross, dumb, even offensive things too.

Son's friends were here late. Great smoked pork, corn on the cob, salad, beers...
It sounds like you had an awesome cookout. I don't recall anyone here being offended by Ms Griffins stunt. I'm guessing if some republican person did the same thing about Joe there would be outrage across the land. My interpretation of satire evolved through reading MAD magazine when I was a teenager. The satire of today is something completely different. Maybe it is simply too sophisticated for an old codger such as myself.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

We did a pulled pork butt yesterday, baked beans etc last night too. Amazing weather here in MD...

How's the corn running? Good yet?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:19 am

We did a pulled pork butt yesterday, baked beans etc last night too. Amazing weather here in MD...

off the Eastern Shore is amazingly good...got mine at farm stand at Old Court/Ruxton RD.
Cook less than 3 minutes...

Baked beans would have been a good addition. Son's friend came over with his smoker early in day, pork butt...yum.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:17 am
Not necessarily.
No, it's just dumb.

It sounds like you had an awesome cookout. I don't recall anyone here being offended by Ms Griffins stunt. I'm guessing if some republican person did the same thing about Joe there would be outrage across the land. My interpretation of satire evolved through reading MAD magazine when I was a teenager. The satire of today is something completely different. Maybe it is simply too sophisticated for an old codger such as myself.
No, most of us thought it wasn't funny, an offensive, gross...just that it was obviously satire not a threat...she herself realized the joke was in awful taste and apologized.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:24 am

off the Eastern Shore is amazingly good...got mine at farm stand at Old Court/Ruxton RD.

Baked beans would have been a good addition. Son's friend came over with his smoker early in day, pork butt...yum.
Nice! Glad to hear it's starting to run! Heading to the mountains this week and the shore next with the family. We will definitely have to stop on the way! Nothing better! :D

PS- the easiest pulled pork recipe EVER-
Pork butt in a slow cooker. Add 1-2 tasty beers (to both the crock and yourself!). Let it go all day.
Drain excess liquid, add favorite BBQ sauce...enjoy on good rolls!!
:D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:24 am

Nice! Glad to hear it's starting to run! Heading to the mountains this week and the shore next with the family. We will definitely have to stop on the way! Nothing better! :D

PS- the easiest pulled pork recipe EVER-
Pork butt in a slow cooker. Add 1-2 tasty beers (to both the crock and yourself!). Let it go all day.
Drain excess liquid, add favorite BBQ sauce...enjoy on good rolls!!
:D
Yes, much easier than the smoker, which does require some attendance...different, but both great.

Braize that pork butt in the slow cooker first, right?
Rub down the night before?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The attendence is the fun part...

But this is the no-fuss pulled pork.
Rubdown is nice to do, but not needed.
Literally just drop the whole thing in the slow cooker. Toss in 2 beers and let it go.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Slow cooker pulled pork is super easy and pretty good. But you sacrifice the chewy barky outside brown part, which is my favorite part. So I almost always smoke pork butts.

The pork butt thing I like to do in the slow cooker is carnitas. Before making the tacos, put the carnitas on a cookie sheet under the broiler for a few minutes to get some crisp going. Better than Chipotle according to my kids.

FYI, both freeze extremely well. So if you're going to make them, make a big batch. I usually get the two pack at Costco (like 17-18 pounds) and smoke both (which is the same work as smoking one). Freeze them in 1-2# ziplock bags, and I've got on demand porky goodness for weeks/months.

Happy Independence Day!!
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:58 am So you’re suggesting the Babylon bee is similar to Samuel Beckett or Flannery O’Conner?
Nope. Just because one writes satire, doesn't make people alike, at all.
And really, IMO, O'Conner wasn't really a "satiric" writer, despite her use of irony and sardonic humor.
Aren’t sardonic and satirical basically derivatives of each other? Cynical mocking of something or someone? Irony is different I believe but the other two seem pretty similar to me.

I was being sarcastic in comparing some web trash to great Irish authors. Would do the same w The Onion.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:26 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:17 am
Not necessarily.
No, it's just dumb.

No, most of us thought it wasn't funny, an offensive, gross...just that it was obviously satire not a threat...she herself realized the joke was in awful taste and apologized.
This is only a guess on my part. So many people have become numb to comedy or satire that is offensive. There are very few people that can get offended anymore.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:03 am The attendence is the fun part...

But this is the no-fuss pulled pork.
Rubdown is nice to do, but not needed.
Literally just drop the whole thing in the slow cooker. Toss in 2 beers and let it go.
Happy 4th to all, no matter how you prefer your pork butt!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://i.imgur.com/tXGQw7s.jpeg

For those delusional right wingers who believe we must continue to fight in foreign wars to preserve our freedoms, this one's for you.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Can anyone please share succinctly, why this Texas voting bill is a bad thing? To me, all it seems to do is provide standards for a higher security protection of the voting process? Where does it even begin to come close to Jim Crow shenanigan's as Biden claims?

Each of the bullet points listed here: https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 953443002/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:32 pm Can anyone please share succinctly, why this Texas voting bill is a bad thing? To me, all it seems to do is provide standards for a higher security protection of the voting process? Where does it even begin to come close to Jim Crow shenanigan's as Biden claims?

Each of the bullet points listed here: https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 953443002/
Explained here:

https://www.vox.com/2021/7/13/22573680/ ... ion-quorum

Seems to me that it's clear that voters of color, primarily working class such, used overnight voting and drive thru voting disproportionately to white voters in rural, less dense areas. Texas limits the number of voting places and machines in heavily populated areas, typically densely Dem, which causes long lines waiting to vote...which is much harder to deal with if you are poor or working class...overnight and drive thru made it easier to actually vote. It was pandemic inspired, but scared the bejesus out of the GOP as it really did enable more voters to vote...legally. Jim Crow voter suppression laws involved all sorts of ways intended to make voting harder, to discourage black and brown voters from having access or risking repercussions...simply from voting.

But partisan poll watchers is probably the most directly akin to the bad old days of Jim Crow voter intimidation. What they're demanding is the right for the partisan poll watcher to come up directly to voters, identify them (as a partisan), challenge them, watch them vote up close. Jim Crow worked...voters were intimidated.

There's really no question that Texas has existing laws that are intentionally favoring votes from likely GOP areas and voters, and suppressing likely Dem voters...and these are intended to ratchet that up.

Return to “POLITICS”