North Carolina

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: No Guarantees

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:58 am I imagine the hope is that Caitlyn Wurzburger will step into Hoeg's role as chief feeder. Some great talent coming in to bolster the ranks, but as we saw from '21, blue chip transfers don't always put a team over the top. Last offseason, USC's Kerrigan Miller and Dartmouth's Katie Bourque transferred to Carolina. Bourque got injured in the offseason and saw very limited action in only 2 games in the ACC tournament. Miller did a lot of "dirty work" with DC's GB's and CTO's but very little goal scoring/assisting help in the NCAA's (2 goals and 2 assists total vs JMU, Stony Brook and eventual national champion Boston College).

The '22 edition of the Tar Heels might be Wurzburger's team after some of the leaders have moved on. She seems like a leader and one who may put up prodigious numbers for the rest of her career.

It will be interesting to see how the postseason goes next year for the storied Heels. One thing for sure--there are no guarantees.
Carolina has holes to fill but I think they're doing alright on the attacking end. It may not be the depth they had this past season, but no one can really sustain that much depth. Ortega, Growney, Warehime, & Sconone all return (waiting on Growney to announce that officially). Sconone turns a lot of heads with her free position power, but I was really impressed with her vision & composure on the attacking end as well. She and CW could both be good ball distributors. I doubt JL will try to see if a player can replicate what Hoeg did and instead evenly distribute it across multiple attackers. Definitely room for CW to take on a bigger role, but I don't think they're handing the reins to any one player.

Midfield looks solid, just a little thinner, with Mastroianni, Dirks, Hillman, Humphrey, & Dorsey returning. Ella Little got a lot of reps on the draw and I think she could expand her role as well.

TBH I think their biggest holes to fill are on defense - Woodruff, Wakefield, & Wood all gone. Not sure if Trenchard is taking her 5th year (probably is). I can see JL trying to convert some young middies to defense, maybe Julia Dorsey, Lawton, or Humphrey. Nalls does definitely return which is one veteran defender guaranteed. Hall was highly touted out of high school but I hasn't seen the field much. If Nalls, Moreno, and Trenchard all return they have a solid core of leadership and experience there as well
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:24 am Carolina has holes to fill but I think they're doing alright on the attacking end. It may not be the depth they had this past season, but no one can really sustain that much depth. Ortega, Growney, Warehime, & Sconone all return (waiting on Growney to announce that officially). Sconone turns a lot of heads with her free position power, but I was really impressed with her vision & composure on the attacking end as well. She and CW could both be good ball distributors. I doubt JL will try to see if a player can replicate what Hoeg did and instead evenly distribute it across multiple attackers. Definitely room for CW to take on a bigger role, but I don't think they're handing the reins to any one player.

Midfield looks solid, just a little thinner, with Mastroianni, Dirks, Hillman, Humphrey, & Dorsey returning. Ella Little got a lot of reps on the draw and I think she could expand her role as well.

TBH I think their biggest holes to fill are on defense - Woodruff, Wakefield, & Wood all gone. Not sure if Trenchard is taking her 5th year (probably is). I can see JL trying to convert some young middies to defense, maybe Julia Dorsey, Lawton, or Humphrey. Nalls does definitely return which is one veteran defender guaranteed. Hall was highly touted out of high school but I hasn't seen the field much. If Nalls, Moreno, and Trenchard all return they have a solid core of leadership and experience there as well
Great shtuff, wlaxphan! Lots to ponder and chew on. Thanks!
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:24 am I think their biggest holes to fill are on defense - Woodruff, Wakefield, & Wood all gone. Not sure if Trenchard is taking her 5th year (probably is). I can see JL trying to convert some young middies to defense, maybe Julia Dorsey, Lawton, or Humphrey. Nalls does definitely return which is one veteran defender guaranteed. Hall was highly touted out of high school but I hasn't seen the field much. If Nalls, Moreno, and Trenchard all return they have a solid core of leadership and experience there as well
This is what I find confusing. There are seniors/grad students listed here but not pictured below.

I guess you can decide to graduate, and then change your mind after the picture is taken? (I'm thinking of Moreno)

l to r

Maddie Hoffer (D); Kerrigan Miller (M); Katie Bourque (M); Katie Hoeg (A); Claire Nappi (D); Catie Woodruff (D); Caroline Wakefield (D); Kayla Wood (D); Taylor Moreno (GK)

wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm
I guess you can decide to graduate, and then change your mind after the picture is taken? (I'm thinking of Moreno)
Miller, Bourque, Hoeg, Woodruff, and Wakefield have used up all their NCAA eligibility so their presence makes sense. They are definitely done and cannot play again.

Hoffer & Moreno started as a part of the HS graduating class of '16 meaning their first collegiate season was Spring 2017. Moreno's bio specifically states she received a redshirt for an injury during her freshman season in 2017. Hoffer's bio also states she had a season ending injury in her 2017 freshman season, but it doesn't say if she received a medical redshirt. Hoffer very well could have, and it just isn't mentioned due to inconsistencies in the roster bios.

Regardless, this means the past 2021 season would be their 5th year as a D1 collegiate athlete (I'm including COVID 2020 as they still had a normal fall ball, preseason, and beginning to their season). Perhaps at the time both had decided they were ready to move on from college athletics and enter the post-graduate world instead of returning for a 6th year. The decision could be based on a lot of things whether it's physical, financial, or just personal. Maybe, after the way the post-season played out, Moreno felt differently and decided to come back?

This is all speculation. The different designations for Hoffer (RS-Junior) and Moreno (Senior) on the roster list could simply be another example clerical error/inconsistencies from the Sports Information department. It can get confusing to know how they should be listed - academic year vs. NCAA eligibility year.

The same decision could have been made by Nappi & Wood. Wood was drafted to the Athletes Unlimited Pro Lacrosse league and Nappi hasn't played more than 9 games in a season and perhaps she decided she was satisfied with her collegiate lacrosse experience and was ready to move forward either as a graduate transfer, graduate student NARP, or on to starting her career.

Senior Day celebrations are celebratory and not really all that official as far as players staying or leaving
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:15 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm
Miller, Bourque, Hoeg, Woodruff, and Wakefield have used up all their NCAA eligibility so their presence makes sense. They are definitely done and cannot play again.

Hoffer & Moreno started as a part of the HS graduating class of '16 meaning their first collegiate season was Spring 2017. Moreno's bio specifically states she received a redshirt for an injury during her freshman season in 2017. Hoffer's bio also states she had a season ending injury in her 2017 freshman season, but it doesn't say if she received a medical redshirt. Hoffer very well could have, and it just isn't mentioned due to inconsistencies in the roster bios.

Regardless, this means the past 2021 season would be their 5th year as a D1 collegiate athlete (I'm including COVID 2020 as they still had a normal fall ball, preseason, and beginning to their season). Perhaps at the time both had decided they were ready to move on from college athletics and enter the post-graduate world instead of returning for a 6th year. The decision could be based on a lot of things whether it's physical, financial, or just personal. Maybe, after the way the post-season played out, Moreno felt differently and decided to come back?

This is all speculation. The different designations for Hoffer (RS-Junior) and Moreno (Senior) on the roster list could simply be another example clerical error/inconsistencies from the Sports Information department. It can get confusing to know how they should be listed - academic year vs. NCAA eligibility year.

The same decision could have been made by Nappi & Wood. Wood was drafted to the Athletes Unlimited Pro Lacrosse league and Nappi hasn't played more than 9 games in a season and perhaps she decided she was satisfied with her collegiate lacrosse experience and was ready to move forward either as a graduate transfer, graduate student NARP, or on to starting her career.

Senior Day celebrations are celebratory and not really all that official as far as players staying or leaving
Thanks much for the clarification.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:20 pm
No problem - just want to reiterate that what I said was entirely speculation. Just trying to give some perspective based on available information on the athletic website. I don't know Moreno or Hoffer and haven't gotten any information from anyone associated with them, so I could be dead wrong
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:05 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:20 pm
No problem - just want to reiterate that what I said was entirely speculation. Just trying to give some perspective based on available information on the athletic website. I don't know Moreno or Hoffer and haven't gotten any information from anyone associated with them, so I could be dead wrong
The speculation is the good shtuff. Keeps the stove hot through the off-season. 😉
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: North Carolina

Something fascinating and heartwarming about this news--Ms. Hoeg is going into dentistry. I know this sounds stupid but it's hard to picture Katie doing anything but playing lacrosse because that's all I've ever seen her do. I wonder how many future clients will ask, "I hope you don't mind me asking Doctor Hoeg but, are you the Katie Hoeg who used to play for the Tar Heels?"

Much success to Katie Hoeg.

https://goheels.com/news/2021/7/15/wome ... rship.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

Even though I predicted it, (pauses to breathe on nails and polish on shirt) it’s still puzzling that North Carolina didn’t finish the job and win the national title in '21.

I happened to pull up and post a couple of Aly Messinger clips for another topic yesterday and it got me thinking about her.

In this post WPLL championship winning goal interview, self-effacing Aly Messinger says she likes pressure:

Wait a minute, wait a minute—you like pressure?

Pressure does strange things to athletes in big games–-it makes them call timeout in the waning seconds when there are no timeouts left; or throw up bricks from the foul line; or strike out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth; or throw a pick six in overtime etc. etc. Not Aly Messinger – she liked pressure, even thrived on it. That’s what “big game players” do.

Witness the fierceness of Aly Messinger in the Title Tilt vs Maryland in 2016, in which she figured in 6 of the teams 13 goals, including this beauty to start the 2nd half:

It got me thinking--was she on the 2013 championship team? Lo and behold--she was. Turns out she played big in that game too, potting 3 goals to pave the way for Carolina's 1st national championship.

So, I'm still thinking--did this past years team have an Aly Messinger in the ranks? No one pops to mind as a fierce leader on the offense like #27. Maybe the reason, or one of the reasons that the Tar Heels couldn’t finish in '21 was because they didn’t have an Aly Messinger type player on the team.

Food for thought.
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Messinger is a Jersey kid, who NJBill watched play for years in high school. You should ask him about her. Oh wait....
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:07 pm Something fascinating and heartwarming about this news--Ms. Hoeg is going into dentistry. I know this sounds stupid but it's hard to picture Katie doing anything but playing lacrosse because that's all I've ever seen her do. I wonder how many future clients will ask, "I hope you don't mind me asking Doctor Hoeg but, are you the Katie Hoeg who used to play for the Tar Heels?"

While I recognize that it's your mission to completely dominate and control this forum while closing your eyes and plugging your ears to those who disagree with you and might even find you nauseating, I've gotta ask what the purpose of this post is inasmuch as Katie's continuing her education in order to become a dentist is common knowledge. Fascinating and heartwarming? How so?
Wholeheartedly agree with you here, yes, it does sound stupid to suggest it's hard to picture Katie doing anything but playing lacrosse. Hell, I can picture her doing pretty much anything she wants including picking mulberries.
How many will ask if she's the Katie who played for UNC? 142. That's the 142 who didn't see the UNC diploma hanging on her wall or the trophy or two she's got in her waiting room.
Oi vey. :roll:
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:30 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:07 pm Something fascinating and heartwarming about this news--Ms. Hoeg is going into dentistry. I know this sounds stupid but it's hard to picture Katie doing anything but playing lacrosse because that's all I've ever seen her do. I wonder how many future clients will ask, "I hope you don't mind me asking Doctor Hoeg but, are you the Katie Hoeg who used to play for the Tar Heels?"

While I recognize that it's your mission to completely dominate and control this forum while closing your eyes and plugging your ears to those who disagree with you and might even find you nauseating, I've gotta ask what the purpose of this post is inasmuch as Katie's continuing her education in order to become a dentist is common knowledge. Fascinating and heartwarming? How so?
Wholeheartedly agree with you here, yes, it does sound stupid to suggest it's hard to picture Katie doing anything but playing lacrosse. Hell, I can picture her doing pretty much anything she wants including picking mulberries.
How many will ask if she's the Katie who played for UNC? 142. That's the 142 who didn't see the UNC diploma hanging on her wall or the trophy or two she's got in her waiting room.
Oi vey. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Just stumbled across this video about the 2016 national championship winning team. Some nice highlights in the mix. The ground level shot of Aly Messinger scoring the goal that made it 7-4 Heels is even more impressive from that angle. WOW was she quick! Coach Levy's postgame speech to the team produced some goosebumps. "We're damn national champions!"

It's a thrill like no other--to Win It All.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm In my opinion one coach that seems to get a free pass from criticism is Jenny Levy. 2 NC's in 27 years (not sure how many finals appearances) and no Tewaaraton winners when your team year in and year out has the best athletes and best recruits - for example last year's team had 3 #1 middies - Hillman, Mastroiani and Miller. They have studs all over the field. From a talent standpoint they are like Alabama in football. It's very hard to win it all but how can one say they have not underachieved.
I'm interested to hear more of your thoughts and opinions, Lax101. What have you observed? What did you think of the NCAA semifinal game? The past season? Anything you'd like to write I would be interested to read.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Did Levy get outcoached?

So, since Jenny Levy’s name has come up recently, let me pose a question for the panel: did Levy get outcoached in the semifinal game versus Boston College? (I’m hoping Larry will weigh in, [among others, of course]).
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Without a doubt UNC was out coached. I also think BC played with heart and belief - 2 very positive factors that comes with having 7 starters from Long Island. When you beat a team by 12 earlier in the year and when you look at each teams starting lineup and can say that every matchup except CN favors UNC and you lose, coaching has to be a contributing factor. What phase of the game favored BC before the start of that game - offense, defense, transition, draw? I would only give BC a slight edge in draw and UNC actually dominated the draw in that game. UNC was overconfident going into that game. Very overconfident and I can see why. BC’s plan was to spread out the man defense, find the few favorable matchups they liked and attack. UNC does not slide much so BC wanted to win key isolations. BC did not score for the last 15 minutes when UNC started sending quick slides. UNC still should have won holding BC to 11 goals, but BC changed there defensive style and kept them off balance - they jumped attackers and sent quick double teams. UNC never made adjustments and they had the wrong players taking shots and controlling the offense - most of it involved UNC middies who shot about 20 percent. UNC looked lost most of the game and so did JL on the sideline. If you talk to UNC players they will tell you that losing their offensive coordinator (Katrina Dowd) the prior year was a huge factor. In the end I think they were right. Don’t take anything away from BC they had the heart of a champion and every single starter had a great game. What was even more amazing is that CN was less of a factor than normal. Just 2 goals and no draw controls. It was a complete team effort by BC and coaching played a big role.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:43 pm Without a doubt UNC was out coached. I also think BC played with heart and belief - 2 very positive factors that comes with having 7 starters from Long Island. When you beat a team by 12 earlier in the year and when you look at each teams starting lineup and can say that every matchup except CN favors UNC and you lose, coaching has to be a contributing factor. What phase of the game favored BC before the start of that game - offense, defense, transition, draw? I would only give BC a slight edge in draw and UNC actually dominated the draw in that game. UNC was overconfident going into that game. Very overconfident and I can see why. BC’s plan was to spread out the man defense, find the few favorable matchups they liked and attack. UNC does not slide much so BC wanted to win key isolations. BC did not score for the last 15 minutes when UNC started sending quick slides. UNC still should have won holding BC to 11 goals, but BC changed there defensive style and kept them off balance - they jumped attackers and sent quick double teams. UNC never made adjustments and they had the wrong players taking shots and controlling the offense - most of it involved UNC middies who shot about 20 percent. UNC looked lost most of the game and so did JL on the sideline. If you talk to UNC players they will tell you that losing their offensive coordinator (Katrina Dowd) the prior year was a huge factor. In the end I think they were right. Don’t take anything away from BC they had the heart of a champion and every single starter had a great game. What was even more amazing is that CN was less of a factor than normal. Just 2 goals and no draw controls. It was a complete team effort by BC and coaching played a big role.
Thanks Lax101. Good shtuff and lots to watch for next season too. What’s the angle on the 7 starters from Long Island? Did that give BC an edge? If so, how?
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:43 pm Without a doubt UNC was out coached. I also think BC played with heart and belief - 2 very positive factors that comes with having 7 starters from Long Island. When you beat a team by 12 earlier in the year and when you look at each teams starting lineup and can say that every matchup except CN favors UNC and you lose, coaching has to be a contributing factor. What phase of the game favored BC before the start of that game - offense, defense, transition, draw? I would only give BC a slight edge in draw and UNC actually dominated the draw in that game. UNC was overconfident going into that game. Very overconfident and I can see why. BC’s plan was to spread out the man defense, find the few favorable matchups they liked and attack. UNC does not slide much so BC wanted to win key isolations. BC did not score for the last 15 minutes when UNC started sending quick slides. UNC still should have won holding BC to 11 goals, but BC changed there defensive style and kept them off balance - they jumped attackers and sent quick double teams. UNC never made adjustments and they had the wrong players taking shots and controlling the offense - most of it involved UNC middies who shot about 20 percent. UNC looked lost most of the game and so did JL on the sideline. If you talk to UNC players they will tell you that losing their offensive coordinator (Katrina Dowd) the prior year was a huge factor. In the end I think they were right. Don’t take anything away from BC they had the heart of a champion and every single starter had a great game. What was even more amazing is that CN was less of a factor than normal. Just 2 goals and no draw controls. It was a complete team effort by BC and coaching played a big role.
Spot on with your Katrina Dowd comment. I watched the game again last night and it’s amazing how few adjustments were made.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

The best HS lacrosse in the country is on Long Island in my opinion. MD is a close second. Many HS teams have 6 or more top D1 recruits. To survive and thrive as a top talent/recruit you need to have a tenacity that not all kids have. Look at the way the Weeks twins, Urbank, Medjid, Smith, Schleicher, Roman all play. The NW championship teams also had a handful of gritty LI stars. LI players are wired differently in my opinion. They are very skilled but rely on an innate desire to compete and win. Championships are won largely by grit, determination and ground balls at the end of the day. That is what BC had more so than other teams. Oh btw many of the top tough players on Cuse and NC are also LI kids.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”