North Carolina

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: What happened?

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:44 pm Geez Cletus...why isn't Brownlax coming down on you? You used the word "choke". You actually questioned "why couldn't they finish the job?" You questioned the coaching...OH MY!!
All I said was the following "you will understand the difference between perceived greatness and real greatness." Facts that are in evidence.

Wait til next year.
She's still one of the elite coaches in D1. Any coach who wins multiple titles--both times at the hands of the Terps, and then runs 5 straight ACC titles is Elite in my book any day of the week. Not every coach wins them all. And every coach can have a bad day or make bad decisions. But Jenny Levy's record stands on its own.
Cletus

Re: She WILL be a star!

Post by Cletus »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:04 pm
Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm njbill and TL are rarely in agreement but njbill and TL are herein. 8-)

Ms Wurzburger will be instant starter, star, and an All-American.

Not only does she possess the requisite lax skills (and then some), she is a hard working, self-motivated kid.

A bit too early to anoint her as the second coming of JenAdams, but she just might be.

Why does TL compare Ms Wurzburger to JenAdams? Both are pure attackers, and there is ZERO question that JenAdams is the very best ever at that end of the field.

Peace, out.

TL
How has CW lived up to the hype? So many people said she would be an instant star and All American and compared her to Jen Adams.
I wonder if TL knew Wurzburger was heading to the Heels and not the Terps when he wrote this...😉
Cletus

Re: She WILL be a star!

Post by Cletus »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:04 pm How has CW lived up to the hype? So many people said she would be an instant star and All American and compared her to Jen Adams.
What do you think?
Lax101

Re: North Carolina

Post by Lax101 »

Very good player with bright future, but it was impossible to live up to the hype. The hype was off the charts and it was unfair to the player and put her in a tough spot with established big name players at UNC. How can you call someone the MJ of lacrosse when they have never played a college game.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:50 pm Very good player with bright future, but it was impossible to live up to the hype. The hype was off the charts and it was unfair to the player and put her in a tough spot with established big name players at UNC. How can you call someone the MJ of lacrosse when they have never played a college game.
It leaves one to wonder. Had CW gone to Cuse like she was supposed to. How different it would’ve played out for some players over there
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:05 pm
Lax101 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:50 pm Very good player with bright future, but it was impossible to live up to the hype. The hype was off the charts and it was unfair to the player and put her in a tough spot with established big name players at UNC. How can you call someone the MJ of lacrosse when they have never played a college game.
It leaves one to wonder. Had CW gone to Cuse like she was supposed to. How different it would’ve played out for some players over there
She certainly would have had a bigger impact at Cuse with Carney and EH out of the mix for the Orange. Maybe beat out other players for those fill-in roles? But she still played exceptional for a freshman on a star-studded UNC offense. Excited to see her play in 22.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Way back when Matnum started this topic, Caitlyn Wurzburger was the subject of the first post. Strangely enough, I heard from someone close to the team that #13 may have brought a little bad luck. How so? Maybe coach put her in too much and disrupted the 2020 chemistry.

Another on these boards yesterday alleged that coaching was to blame for NC not reaching the pinnacle and claiming Excalibur. If Levy's embarrassingly nonsensical call for a stick check with 1.3 seconds left vs BC was any indication--where there's smoke, there's fire.

Another wrote that it was some of the players who didn't work and pull their own weight. It's not like that doesn't happen in women's D1 lacrosse. We have former standout Gator defender Cara Trombetta's sworn testimony* as evidence, ladies and gentlemen of the jury.

Is BC suddenly NC's NCAA postseason Kryptonite? Eagles fans do after all wear the fluorescent yellow/green shirts in the stands. Bookended between disappointing losses to BC in the national semifinals was a 27 game winning streak.

All interesting scenarios. Let's face it--something went wrong--either with the media hype or the team itself. The Tar Heels were supposed to win in '21.

One tendency of Levy's teams which is now indelibly written as a part of the legacy--they choke on the big stage sometimes. Too much data to ignore now. Larry will be pleased. Levy is still one of the elite coaches, but is it the beginning of her decline? It happens to the best of them.

* https://anchor.fm/samantha573/episodes/ ... /a-a4pv3v9
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:02 am Way back when Matnum started this topic, Caitlyn Wurzburger was the subject of the first post. Strangely enough, I heard from someone close to the team that #13 may have brought a little bad luck. How so? Maybe coach put her in too much and disrupted the 2020 chemistry.

Another on these boards yesterday alleged that coaching was to blame for NC not reaching the pinnacle and claiming Excalibur. If Levy's embarrassingly nonsensical call for a stick check with 1.3 seconds left vs BC was any indication--where there's smoke, there's fire.

Another wrote that it was some of the players who didn't work and pull their own weight. It's not like that doesn't happen in women's D1 lacrosse. We have former standout Gator defender Cara Trombetta's sworn testimony* as evidence, ladies and gentlemen of the jury.

Is BC suddenly NC's NCAA postseason Kryptonite? Eagles fans do after all wear the fluorescent yellow/green shirts in the stands. Bookended between disappointing losses to BC in the national semifinals was a 27 game winning streak.

All interesting scenarios. Let's face it--something went wrong--either with the media hype or the team itself. The Tar Heels were supposed to win in '21.

One tendency of Levy's teams which is now indelibly written as a part of the legacy--they choke on the big stage sometimes. Too much data to ignore now. Larry will be pleased. Levy is still one of the elite coaches, but is it the beginning of her decline? It happens to the best of them.

* https://anchor.fm/samantha573/episodes/ ... /a-a4pv3v9
It's been a month and still trolling! :lol: :lol:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dumb. Wurzburger scored 35 or so goals in a supporting role, playing mostly below GLE and working around the cage for assist and scoring opportunities. Anyone who says she upset the chemistry of the team is full of [baloney].

Dumb. The call for the stick check was a tool in the toolbox; that's all. It says nothing about coaching choices during the course of the game, a lack of adjustments, or anything about a coach being blameworthy.

Dumb. Trombetta's commentary about her teammates is irrelevant to the UNC players. The suggestion that the UNC players didn't play hard is just stupid.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:40 am Dumb. Wurzburger scored 35 or so goals in a supporting role, playing mostly below GLE and working around the cage for assist and scoring opportunities. Anyone who says she upset the chemistry of the team is full of [baloney].

Dumb. The call for the stick check was a tool in the toolbox; that's all. It says nothing about coaching choices during the course of the game, a lack of adjustments, or anything about a coach being blameworthy.

Dumb. Trombetta's commentary about her teammates is irrelevant to the UNC players. The suggestion that the UNC players didn't play hard is just stupid.
+1
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I was watching a 30 for 30 episode on the Buffalo Bills called The Four Falls of Buffalo. In it, some players told of how all the energy and inspiration to keep playing and fighting drained from them in the middle of their last Super Bowl appearance vs Dallas.

"The 2nd half was when it just drained out of us. Everything--all four years, all the magic we made just went away."

--Steve Tasker

I just can't help but wonder if this happened to Carolina vs BC. They don't have the same parallels with Buffalo but there might have been the whole long 27 game winning streak and the heavy expectation that they were to be crowned champs in 2021 finally taking its last and final toll on the team. It has been alleged that some players didn't pull their own weight. It isn't outside the realm of possibility. Human beings get tired, they lose their inspiration, they become discouraged. It happens. We'll see how they rebound in '22.

Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:01 am It has been alleged that some players didn't pull their own weight. It isn't outside the realm of possibility.
Just stop it with this BS. You have alleged as as someone else. Put up the data that shows this. Who was it? I saw absolutely no one on that field that was not pulling her own weight. Again, if you are going to keep spouting this junk put your money where your mouth is and show us. Otherwise is is just unsubstantiated BS doing nothing but maligning a bunch of players. If you show me where I am wrong I will freely admit it.

In my personal experience, the tournament brings out more effort not less with no one not pulling their own weight. The coaches actually have to pull back during practice and that included those that were not going to be on the field.
OuttaNowhereWregget

No Guarantees

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

With Super Sophomore Olivia Dirks transferring from Penn State to the land of Carolina Blue, and Richmond's Samantha Geiersbach rumored to be on the way, the Tar Heels are stocking themselves for another run at the national title. There are some big holes left after '21 however. GK Taylor Moreno graduated and backup GK Kimber Hower transferred to Syracuse. Also--Katie Hoeg graduated. There are more but I don't have time to look into it at this point.

I imagine the hope is that Caitlyn Wurzburger will step into Hoeg's role as chief feeder. Some great talent coming in to bolster the ranks, but as we saw from '21, blue chip transfers don't always put a team over the top. Last offseason, USC's Kerrigan Miller and Dartmouth's Katie Bourque transferred to Carolina. Bourque got injured in the offseason and saw very limited action in only 2 games in the ACC tournament. Miller did a lot of "dirty work" with DC's GB's and CTO's but very little goal scoring/assisting help in the NCAA's (2 goals and 2 assists total vs JMU, Stony Brook and eventual national champion Boston College).

The '22 edition of the Tar Heels might be Wurzburger's team after some of the leaders have moved on. She seems like a leader and one who may put up prodigious numbers for the rest of her career.

It will be interesting to see how the postseason goes next year for the storied Heels. One thing for sure--there are no guarantees.

DMac

Post by DMac »

There are more but I don't have time to look into it at this point.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll: :roll:
You have more than one obsession or is it laundry day?
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:15 am
There are more but I don't have time to look into it at this point.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll: :roll:
You have more than one obsession or is it laundry day?
Here’s a thought on the subject of obsessions—how about you and your bully buddies drop your obsession with trying to pin the supposed ruin and downfall of the Women’s D1 boards on me and start thinking about contributing in a positive way yourselves. You think the lame sarcastic remarks and petty potshots are doing anything to inspire people to contribute here?
Laxfan500

Re: No Guarantees

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:58 am With Super Sophomore Olivia Dirks transferring from Penn State to the land of Carolina Blue, and Richmond's Samantha Geiersbach rumored to be on the way, the Tar Heels are stocking themselves for another run at the national title. There are some big holes left after '21 however. GK Taylor Moreno graduated and backup GK Kimber Hower transferred to Syracuse. Also--Katie Hoeg graduated. There are more but I don't have time to look into it at this point.

I imagine the hope is that Caitlyn Wurzburger will step into Hoeg's role as chief feeder. Some great talent coming in to bolster the ranks, but as we saw from '21, blue chip transfers don't always put a team over the top. Last offseason, USC's Kerrigan Miller and Dartmouth's Katie Bourque transferred to Carolina. Bourque got injured in the offseason and saw very limited action in only 2 games in the ACC tournament. Miller did a lot of "dirty work" with DC's GB's and CTO's but very little goal scoring/assisting help in the NCAA's (2 goals and 2 assists total vs JMU, Stony Brook and eventual national champion Boston College).

The '22 edition of the Tar Heels might be Wurzburger's team after some of the leaders have moved on. She seems like a leader and one who may put up prodigious numbers for the rest of her career.

It will be interesting to see how the postseason goes next year for the storied Heels. One thing for sure--there are no guarantees.

Moreno has one more year
Why would 2022 be Wurtzburger's team when Ortega (all time goals leader and soon to be all time points leader in Carolina History) Mastroiani, Trenchard and Moreno will all still be there???
Why dont you wait for them to graduate before you "anoint" her?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I read nary a word of his, he's on my foe list and life has gotten better without him (and the others on your list).
Yeah, right. JFTR, knew that was BS all along. Maybe you should start listening to the several who find your style distasteful, disrespectful, and rude too. Of course, they're all just bullies though, seems to me as if you run into confrontations with darn near everyone you deal with here but it's them, not you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IWAdE_H6fQ
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:22 am Moreno has one more year
Why would 2022 be Wurtzburger's team when Ortega (all time goals leader and soon to be all time points leader in Carolina History) Mastroiani, Trenchard and Moreno will all still be there???
My error. I thought I heard Moreno was moving on and graduating. Regarding Wurzburger – I don’t know, I just got that impression watching her play last season. She’s got that leader presence.

May I ask, do you have a special someone playing for the Tar Heels?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 am
My error. I thought I heard Moreno was moving on and graduating. Regarding Wurzburger – I don’t know, I just got that impression watching her play last season. She’s got that leader presence.

No prob, I just dont like when the seniors are written off for newcomers that haven't "earned their stripes yet". I am more about certain players I like than specific teams per sea.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:05 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 am

No prob, I just dont like when the seniors are written off for newcomers that haven't "earned their stripes yet". I am more about certain players I like than specific teams per sea.
Gotcha. I can understand that.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”