D1 Women rankings (02.24.19)

D1 Womens Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

D1 Women rankings (02.24.19)

Post by admin »

Several major changes at the top of the D1 Women Rankings. Northwestern, UNC, and more lost today. We've updated the D1 Women Rankings, Game Results, and Team Ratings.

wlaxnut

Re: D1 Women rankings (02.24.19)

Post by wlaxnut »

I’ve always been fascinated by stats. How are these rankings calculated? What things count for points, etc?
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I'm curious as well. Some very strange ones on there if you compare the rankings to the coaches' poll.
reasure1

Post by reasure1 »

It looks as though Syracuse Women's lacrosse has found its stride. Saw the game with Boston and then Northwestern, major improvement seen. Much improved shot clock management, great defense, and pretty good face off. Still need a little more consistency on offense, but their quick start is beautiful to watch. BTW, that last score in overtime was a beauty. If they continue to progress they should be a top five team. They play Loyola Wednesday, should be a great match.
AllRob

Post by AllRob »

Syracuse and Northwestern were closely matched for sure. However, clear video (replayed a number of times) showed that an NU goal that was disallowed by officials was clearly in the net past the goal line. Who knows what would have transpired if that goal had been called correctly?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Yep—they blew that. Instant replay clearly showed that to be a goal. Yet the Wildcats had a 2 goal lead with less than 6 minutes left and couldn’t hold on. NU was unlucky I felt. Lasota clanged the crossbar with 5 seconds left in regulation. The yellow card on Scane in the last minutes was very questionable, especially since the ref made no indication that it was a yellow card until after Gait started hollering for one. And then the game winner was deflected when it seemed like Krupnick had her goalstick in the right position to snag it.

But NU was also a little foolish. What was the deal with Lasota trying to do it all herself on the first possession of overtime? It was only a matter of time before she lost the ball. Not one teammate touched the ball. Foolish strategy which resulted in the inevitable turnover on a stick check.

In the end, I guess it only really matters what you do in the conference playoffs and The Tournament, and if NU can make more noise in the postseason this year, I don't think they'll remember this disappointing loss.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm The yellow card on Scane in the last minutes was very questionable, especially since the ref made no indication that it was a yellow card until after Gait started hollering for one.
^^^This^^^. I was screaming at the computer monitor.....what the heck was that about? The Godfather ;)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

admin wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:48 pm Several major changes at the top of the D1 Women Rankings. Northwestern, UNC, and more lost today. We've updated the D1 Women Rankings, Game Results, and Team Ratings.
Well, Davidson and Army (West Point) in the top 20 are outliers that throw the whole thing into, I dont know....Then Mass, High Point, Hofstra and Liberty in front of Hopkins and Colorado....I'm not sold on that ranking system. I am sure it is based on the long picture, but right now it is kind of wonky.

Bryant and the Mount ahead of Virginia Tech? Duke at #40?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

reasure1 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm It looks as though Syracuse Women's lacrosse has found its stride. Saw the game with Boston and then Northwestern, major improvement seen. Much improved shot clock management, great defense, and pretty good face off.
11-20 deficit in draw controls is pretty good? If Northwestern was a little sharper, that stat would have meant a loss.. as a comparison, against CC, they were 18-7 in DCs. If Cuse out-draws their competition going forward, they should win 90% of their games, but....if they dont....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:39 pmI'm not sold on that ranking system. I am sure it is based on the long picture, but right now it is kind of wonky.
Correct. It'll become more normal as the season progresses. Currently, one loss hurts a LOT. And one good win helps a LOT.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dear Mr. Admin.

I know this is off topic for this thread but would you tell me what the significance is for the little red star at the upper right hand corner of the circle under the topics page? And how about the flame inside the circle vs the lines in the others?

Thank you!
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:01 pm Dear Mr. Admin.

I know this is off topic for this thread but would you tell me what the significance is for the little red star at the upper right hand corner of the circle under the topics page? And how about the flame inside the circle vs the lines in the others?

Thank you!
Flame = hot topic
Red Star = you posted here...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Thanks so much, RedFromMI
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

AllRob wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:42 pm Syracuse and Northwestern were closely matched for sure. However, clear video (replayed a number of times) showed that an NU goal that was disallowed by officials was clearly in the net past the goal line. Who knows what would have transpired if that goal had been called correctly?
https://youtu.be/H_yTgVT255k

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”