Terps v Heels, another classic!

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxlover88

Terps v Heels, another classic!

Post by laxlover88 »

What a game indeed! One of the most exciting sporting events I have ever had the good fortune to attend. Both teams played well and will likely get another shot at each other in May. I have not seen the attendance numbers but the stands were packed, with both teams well represented. Womens Lax should be proud, the fan base is clearly growing as is the talent level on the field. Congrats to the Terps, they found a way to get it done. With the game tied and 2 minutes left, Terps man down, it was looking like the Heels were going to get it done. Taylor with an amazing save to send it to OT. Both teams will learn from watching the game film on this one. UNC needs to start faster, spotting the Terps a big lead early was less than ideal. The Terps need better circle play if they are going to contend for the Natty. Both teams should be proud of their efforts, an instant classic!
aubartolomei

Re: Terps v Heels, another classic!

Post by aubartolomei »

3696 was announced attendance. It was pretty awesome to see the crowds. UNC had a really good contingent that made it. What a game.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Was this game televised? I don't see the replay available on ESPN.
DMac

Post by DMac »

aubartolomei wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:42 pm 3696 was announced attendance. It was pretty awesome to see the crowds. UNC had a really good contingent that made it. What a game.
Impressive number and good to see. More than at the Cuse-Army mlax game in the Dome, 3K in attendance there. Didn't see the Md-UNC game, saw the Cuse-Northwestern game though. Cuse wins it in OT....very exciting game too. Tie it with 14 seconds left, win it on their first possession in OT despite losing the draw.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:17 pm Was this game televised? I don't see the replay available on ESPN.
This game was televised on the BTN Network. It is also available for replay on BTN2Go free if your cable provider carries BTN Network.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turtles Lax

Record attendance!

Post by Turtles Lax »

Most fans EVER to attend a regular season game in a campus venue...3696. 8-)

Excellent!

Peace, out.

TL
DMac wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:36 pm
aubartolomei wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:42 pm 3696 was announced attendance. It was pretty awesome to see the crowds. UNC had a really good contingent that made it. What a game.
Impressive number and good to see. More than at the Cuse-Army mlax game in the Dome, 3K in attendance there. Didn't see the Md-UNC game, saw the Cuse-Northwestern game though. Cuse wins it in OT....very exciting game too. Tie it with 14 seconds left, win it on their first possession in OT despite losing the draw.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I just watched the last six minutes of regulation and overtime again last night. The Tar Heels had so many opportunities to win the game, (as did the Terps, to be fair, if it weren't for Taylor Moreno coming up huge time and again down the stretch). But specifically, when UNC had the player advantage near the end of regulation, Olivia Ferrucci clearly blew her point blank opportunity with a little over a minute left in the game. She had a stellar opportunity in front of the net and pretty much had Megan Taylor dead to rights, but she seemed to just kind of let it drop onto Taylor’s stomach and it dropped harmlessly into the crease. I don’t know if she froze when she realized how great a scoring chance she had or if her stick was slightly checked by defender Meghan Doherty, but it ended up being a big missed opportunity. UNC took poor shots during the last five minutes of regulation and overtime as well as turning the ball over on a sloppy pass by Kara Klages. They easily could have won this game. Which on one hand should be encouraging to them. I have to think they came out of that game thinking, "We can beat them." They lost two big pieces on offense when Hazar and McCool graduated, (not to mention Maggie Bill). They don't have the senior leadership that Maryland has, but they do have a great coach and a great system, and with a little battle tested experience as the season progresses, could certainly challenge for the title this year judging from the way they played in Maryland. We shall see...
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

I felt like UNC found they could 1v1 dodge on iso from the top . The MD defenders were getting scorched but when they had to move the ball and hit cutters they made too many forced passes and TOs. Maryland was the opposite-their strength is in ball movement and they struggle when they force to goal. They also need to assess the draw circle because UNC was getting the best of them in that 2nd half run. UNC let one slip away but they will not be initimated next time they meet.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:23 am I just watched the last six minutes of regulation and overtime again last night. The Tar Heels had so many opportunities to win the game, (as did the Terps, to be fair, if it weren't for Taylor Moreno coming up huge time and again down the stretch). But specifically, when UNC had the player advantage near the end of regulation, Olivia Ferrucci clearly blew her point blank opportunity with a little over a minute left in the game. She had a stellar opportunity in front of the net and pretty much had Megan Taylor dead to rights, but she seemed to just kind of let it drop onto Taylor’s stomach and it dropped harmlessly into the crease. I don’t know if she froze when she realized how great a scoring chance she had or if her stick was slightly checked by defender Meghan Doherty, but it ended up being a big missed opportunity. U
Just watched it myself, and agree with much of what you wrote.

Some thoughts: OF actually missed three point-blank toward the end, but we have to give credit to Taylor who was amazing. The most egregious was the one where OF got the pass from Klages I believe behind the goal and shot it with her left hand. Problem was she was to the left of the goal so she had no angle. She should've asked for the pass with the stick in her right hand which would've given her a much better angle. She had space to her right and didn't need to protect the stick on the left side of her body. I don't understand why players at this level still make mistakes like that. I don't mean to pile on OF, because this happens in almost every game.

Giles taking the FPS in OT when up three players was highly controversial to say the least. She still had defenders on either side so the player advantage wasn't that much of a benefit on the FPS, but I would have given MD a 95% chance of scoring up three players in settled offense.

Sheehan Burch is an excellent announcer but she needs to do a better job of protecting the players and game by being firm about the rules. When the dangerous propel was called on the MD player she was totally wishy washy about whether the ball needs to hit the defender to trigger a card. IT DOES NOT. She was straining to see if the ball hit her. It doesn't matter if the ball hit her -- it was clearly a dangerous propel whether it hit her or not. She did the same with a swing toward the head. She was talking about it as if it's a yellow only if the stick hits the player in the head, but didn't mention that it would be a mandatory card if deemed to be a slash even if it didn't hit her head. Let's protect the players and the game by being clear about the rules.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

[/quote]
Sheehan Burch is an excellent announcer but she needs to do a better job of protecting the players and game by being firm about the rules. When the dangerous propel was called on the MD player she was totally wishy washy about whether the ball needs to hit the defender to trigger a card. IT DOES NOT. She was straining to see if the ball hit her. It doesn't matter if the ball hit her -- it was clearly a dangerous propel whether it hit her or not. She did the same with a swing toward the head. She was talking about it as if it's a yellow only if the stick hits the player in the head, but didn't mention that it would be a mandatory card if deemed to be a slash even if it didn't hit her head. Let's protect the players and the game by being clear about the rules.
[/quote]

I'm glad you mentioned this about SSB. I noticed the point you made about the dangerous propel during the game and I noticed her silence about a call that should easily have been a red card in last years BC/JMU final.
As you can see from this play, https://youtu.be/-HMiV1u6Gko Romesburg clearly flipped Walker to the ground with intent. She was obviously responding to Walker plowing into her. But SSB said nothing about it. https://youtu.be/BLRPcg2ZwFI?t=1621
I remember watching the game live and wondering why the silence. Did she not want to offend the league or second guess the officials? Very puzzling.

Yet she did condemn the action of Kara Klages in the ACC final. https://youtu.be/awhYhJQMcrw Maybe that was because the refs already made the call so it was easier for her to speak out against it?

She is an excellent color commentator. It's always a treat when she's in the booth. But I have noticed the mealy-mouthed tendency she has had of late, as well--and I agree with you 100%, she needs to speak out to protect the players. She has the credentials and respect in the league to be heard and make a difference. And if she needs to brush up on the rules, then she should do that too.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I remember you last year being really annoyed about the ER over-the-shoulder toss of the BC player, and I agreed with you that it seemed pretty blatant and egregious, but others swore it was just fine.

As for SSB, she is a really important and influential voice in wlax and I'm sure she's one of the most "connected" people in the sport. I'm sure she knows most of the refs and the heads of governing bodies of the sport. It makes sense that she would hesitate to criticize officials on the air, and I'm sure she has tremendous respect for what they do and realizes how hard a job it is. That's why I think sometimes when the refs miss a call, she doesn't want to point out that they missed it. Not surprising she criticized Klages after the red card was issued. But I think most of us fat guys sitting on the couch are screaming at the TV that the ref blew the call and we want the announcer to back us up. I want the announcer to clearly state the rule and give an opinion on whether the ref got it right or wrong, especially if the play is one involving the safety of the players. The kids, youth coaches and novice or future refs watching the game need to hear the announcer, especially someone as influential in the game as SSB, take a clear stance in favor of safety.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”