Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Drcthru

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Drcthru »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:09 pm Not a doctor or trainer but athletes have not had a full season w/fall ball since 2018-19, and a lot of our guys will be seeing their first d1 fall ball/regular season of their careers so think potential injuries and depth are a key story for next year. Not tracking other programs but would assume especially maryland are much better equipped depth wise to handle the physical requirements/attrition of return to regular schedule.
You're correct. You are not a doctor, trainer or otherwise qualified to predict excess injuries due to prior situations. Why do you think UMD is better equipped?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:50 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:09 pm Not a doctor or trainer but athletes have not had a full season w/fall ball since 2018-19, and a lot of our guys will be seeing their first d1 fall ball/regular season of their careers so think potential injuries and depth are a key story for next year. Not tracking other programs but would assume especially maryland are much better equipped depth wise to handle the physical requirements/attrition of return to regular schedule.
You're correct. You are not a doctor, trainer or otherwise qualified to predict excess injuries due to prior situations. Why do you think UMD is better equipped?
He said they’re better equipped depth wise so I’m assuming he means they have more options and depth in terms of players in the event of injuries
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:01 pm
He said they’re better equipped depth wise so I’m assuming he means they have more options and depth in terms of players in the event of injuries
Ya think? :roll:
I was asking for specifics!
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Maher is a huge pick-up. Can't have enough lefty shooters.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:17 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:01 pm
Ya think? :roll:
I was asking for specifics!
Did you not watch Maryland this year or follow their moves in the transfer portal? Think it's pretty self explanatory how they have more depth
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

So here's my question on this topic - while it is very logical that lengthening the time you are on the lacrosse field could lead to some more injuries where is the evidence that Maryland possesses more depth? They may very well have oodles more depth but I throw out the following two data points - In the two games that were pretty competitive - Hopkins played the same number of players - 23 - In the BIG championship game Maryland played 22 - In the game @JHU Maryland played 20. My guess is that up until the third quarter blitz in College Park - the two teams played probably the identical number of players. In addition - of the 26 goals scored by Maryland in those 2 games - 3 were scored by "non starters" 2 by Brown and 1 by Holden. Hopkins had 8 of their 23. Maryland won because their starting 10 was better not because of increased depth. Depth, IMO, is even to a degree, overrated in lacrosse IMO. Football is a different issue - you KNOW alot of people are going to get hurt and they are 250+ lbs and putting incredible strain of muscles/joints/etc. that were not meant to happen. But lacrosse? I would rather be lucky and have my top guys survive the grind and be able to play on Memorial Day then plan on winning some attrition battle. The Hopkins 2016 season showed you cannot survive a season where you lose 4 or more key players for the season - no matter what the reason.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:50 am So here's my question on this topic - while it is very logical that lengthening the time you are on the lacrosse field could lead to some more injuries where is the evidence that Maryland possesses more depth? They may very well have oodles more depth but I throw out the following two data points - In the two games that were pretty competitive - Hopkins played the same number of players - 23 - In the BIG championship game Maryland played 22 - In the game @JHU Maryland played 20. My guess is that up until the third quarter blitz in College Park - the two teams played probably the identical number of players. In addition - of the 26 goals scored by Maryland in those 2 games - 3 were scored by "non starters" 2 by Brown and 1 by Holden. Hopkins had 8 of their 23. Maryland won because their starting 10 was better not because of increased depth. Depth, IMO, is even to a degree, overrated in lacrosse IMO. Football is a different issue - you KNOW alot of people are going to get hurt and they are 250+ lbs and putting incredible strain of muscles/joints/etc. that were not meant to happen. But lacrosse? I would rather be lucky and have my top guys survive the grind and be able to play on Memorial Day then plan on winning some attrition battle. The Hopkins 2016 season showed you cannot survive a season where you lose 4 or more key players for the season - no matter what the reason.
Thank you :)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I don’t think you can ever have too much depth, especially at midfield and the middle of the field more generally. Russ Maher is a good pickup by Coach Milliman. Now, if we can just convince that Dartmouth LSM to join the Blue Jays. ;)

One of the reasons the 2005 team was so great was their depth. A good example was on faceoffs, where the Blue Jays were five deep (Harrison, G. Peyser, Braun, Koesterer, S. Peyser).

The Blue Jays could use a bit more depth on defense and midfield, but they already have good depth almost everywhere.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:37 pm interesting. more if he earns a spot on the wing, and grimes, mcdermott, angelus (even if the latter 2 aren't lefties) and whoever else are then assessing their opportunities.
Maher's arrival potenitally impacts 2-3 players IMO. He doesn't impact Angelus or McDermott - their position on the field or playing time. As 16 pointed out - unlike this past year - you pretty much know who the 6-7 guys are that will comprise the mid-fields - there may be a different mix and match from the Degnon/Angelus/Keogh and the all rising soph lines but everybody will play and play alot. Maybe McDermott wouldn't pick a 2nd mid-field slot for himself but Maher's arrival will have virtually nothing to do with that. McDermott likely wants Epstein's or Deso's job. Grimes/Chauvette/Bauer and maybe Charbonneau might have sat up a bit straighter in their chairs when they heard the news - Grimes gets to play either way - its whether he's a middie vs his likely preferred left attack spot. The others just saw competition for playing time arrive.

My comments above notwithstanding - this is the type of transfer that at least makes sense. Hopkins attack position is not carrying alot of experience - we can refer to it as depth but the numbers are these:
There were 11 names on the roster with "A" or "A/M" attached to it. You lost one to elibility expiration and 2 to the transfer portal (Shilling/Cohen). You have 2 seemingly unimpeachable starters - DeSimone and Epstein - 1 that is taking the "M" in A/M designation for now - McDermott - 1 that will either take the third spot on the left side or play middie - Grimes. Of the remaining 4 - 3 have never played - Bauer/Chauvette/Burnett and the other -Krampf - has played in 5 games over two seasons while recording 1 shot and 1 ground ball. And there are 2 attack recruits of course. So yes, I am compelled to admit depth at attack - or experienced depth - is sorely lacking. And given Maher is apprently somewhere around 6'1" and 190 - he's big enough to play mid-field if required. Now Maher has not played alot either and maybe the most important thing is he had a first row seat to a championship but especially with 3 years of eligibility remaining - it makes sense. Don't like 11 names back on the roster but it's a process. Also like the Long Island connection.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Re: depth compared to Maryland—no one will argue that Maryland's starters are better as a whole but color me unconvinced that they are somehow much deeper beyond that group than the Blue Jays. Both teams have a ton of highly ranked but totally unproven guys sitting on the bench. I think we may have truly found out next season, had some of Maryland's younger guys gotten a chance to step into the starting lineup. But with their transfer bonanza it looks like the new guys are just going to slide in and replace the departing guys while the kids who were on the bench this year will stay there in 2022. So we won't really know, unless they suffer a couple big injuries. Guys like Kelly, Koras, Goforth, Burlace, Wicks, Sawyer, maybe count as depth? We have no idea. The exact same can be said for Raposo, Chauvette, Smith, Evans, Bauer, Rodgers, etc.
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:15 am Also like the Long Island connection.
The staff seems to be doing a good job on LI (and at Mount Sinai in particular). Brought in Maher, recruited Trepeta and Smith in the class of '22, managed to keep Todaro while most of the other '21s defected post-Petro, and I've heard through the grapevine at least one of the Spallina brothers in the class of '23 is interested in JHU—perhaps not generational talents like Joey but very promising recruits in their own right. One is an LSM, the other a FOGO. If we've lost any ground in Baltimore then it seems like they're making up for it on LI, upstate (obvious given PM and K's backgrounds), and in Canada (also for obvious reasons).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:50 am So here's my question on this topic - while it is very logical that lengthening the time you are on the lacrosse field could lead to some more injuries where is the evidence that Maryland possesses more depth? They may very well have oodles more depth but I throw out the following two data points - In the two games that were pretty competitive - Hopkins played the same number of players - 23 - In the BIG championship game Maryland played 22 - In the game @JHU Maryland played 20. My guess is that up until the third quarter blitz in College Park - the two teams played probably the identical number of players. In addition - of the 26 goals scored by Maryland in those 2 games - 3 were scored by "non starters" 2 by Brown and 1 by Holden. Hopkins had 8 of their 23. Maryland won because their starting 10 was better not because of increased depth. Depth, IMO, is even to a degree, overrated in lacrosse IMO. Football is a different issue - you KNOW alot of people are going to get hurt and they are 250+ lbs and putting incredible strain of muscles/joints/etc. that were not meant to happen. But lacrosse? I would rather be lucky and have my top guys survive the grind and be able to play on Memorial Day then plan on winning some attrition battle. The Hopkins 2016 season showed you cannot survive a season where you lose 4 or more key players for the season - no matter what the reason.
re terps
a)every player on their roster was recruited by their present staff
b)they had fall ball last year
c)they had an extra month of practices because they made a run to the ncaa title game
(for younger players who don't play it's the practices that are the real season)
d)tilliman has been there for years and wasn't spending summer 2020 looking for housing

a few of you are doctors, athletes, and coaches or remember the pro athletes returning to sports after ww2/korea services but just feels like when they haven't had a full school season in a couple of years there's going to be some rust and physical attrition from not having bodies and minds conditioned to deal w/the full schedule.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:15 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:37 pm interesting. more if he earns a spot on the wing, and grimes, mcdermott, angelus (even if the latter 2 aren't lefties) and whoever else are then assessing their opportunities.
Maher's arrival potenitally impacts 2-3 players IMO. He doesn't impact Angelus or McDermott - their position on the field or playing time. As 16 pointed out - unlike this past year - you pretty much know who the 6-7 guys are that will comprise the mid-fields - there may be a different mix and match from the Degnon/Angelus/Keogh and the all rising soph lines but everybody will play and play alot. Maybe McDermott wouldn't pick a 2nd mid-field slot for himself but Maher's arrival will have virtually nothing to do with that. McDermott likely wants Epstein's or Deso's job. Grimes/Chauvette/Bauer and maybe Charbonneau might have sat up a bit straighter in their chairs when they heard the news - Grimes gets to play either way - its whether he's a middie vs his likely preferred left attack spot. The others just saw competition for playing time arrive.

My comments above notwithstanding - this is the type of transfer that at least makes sense. Hopkins attack position is not carrying alot of experience - we can refer to it as depth but the numbers are these:
There were 11 names on the roster with "A" or "A/M" attached to it. You lost one to elibility expiration and 2 to the transfer portal (Shilling/Cohen). You have 2 seemingly unimpeachable starters - DeSimone and Epstein - 1 that is taking the "M" in A/M designation for now - McDermott - 1 that will either take the third spot on the left side or play middie - Grimes. Of the remaining 4 - 3 have never played - Bauer/Chauvette/Burnett and the other -Krampf - has played in 5 games over two seasons while recording 1 shot and 1 ground ball. And there are 2 attack recruits of course. So yes, I am compelled to admit depth at attack - or experienced depth - is sorely lacking. And given Maher is apprently somewhere around 6'1" and 190 - he's big enough to play mid-field if required. Now Maher has not played alot either and maybe the most important thing is he had a first row seat to a championship but especially with 3 years of eligibility remaining - it makes sense. Don't like 11 names back on the roster but it's a process. Also like the Long Island connection.
hey, i don't disagree with you on most of this. mcdermott looks like he can play. he earned some time. maybe he can look to a shellenberger and say i can get out there and produce now and maybe earn a spot at attack in 2023+. maybe be a 1st liner at mid in 22.
same to a lesser degree with angelus.
and covid thru a wrench into a lot of plans.
but... maher was a backup at uva. he comes in and gets a lot of reps in the fall?
depending on their outlook, maybe if something similar (but with an experienced producing qb or right wing) comes in next year, mcdermott or whomever looks at their 2 remaining years and gets antsy.
don't disagree it's a move to make to see what he's got, given everything.
and there's nothing to keep grimes (or even mcdermott working every day on his left this summer) from going after it if they want.
just thought it was interesting, given everything.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:24 pm
re terps
c)they had an extra month of practices because they made a run to the ncaa title game
(for younger players who don't play it's the practices that are the real season)
d)tilliman has been there for years and wasn't spending summer 2020 looking for housing

a few of you are doctors, athletes, and coaches or remember the pro athletes returning to sports after ww2/korea services but just feels like when they haven't had a full school season in a couple of years there's going to be some rust and physical attrition from not having bodies and minds conditioned to deal w/the full schedule.
Coaches Milliman, Koesterer, and Grant Jr. did a superb job this past season considering the challenging circumstances. Can’t wait to see what they do with a complete year of Fall Ball and pre-season training.

@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:05 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:15 am

hey, i don't disagree with you on most of this. mcdermott looks like he can play. he earned some time. maybe he can look to a shellenberger and say i can get out there and produce now and maybe earn a spot at attack in 2023+. maybe be a 1st liner at mid in 22.
same to a lesser degree with angelus.
and covid thru a wrench into a lot of plans.
but... maher was a backup at uva. he comes in and gets a lot of reps in the fall?
depending on their outlook, maybe if something similar (but with an experienced producing qb or right wing) comes in next year, mcdermott or whomever looks at their 2 remaining years and gets antsy.
don't disagree it's a move to make to see what he's got, given everything.
and there's nothing to keep grimes (or even mcdermott working every day on his left this summer) from going after it if they want.
just thought it was interesting, given everything.
Blue Jays had one of the best group of underclassmen in 2021. Really terrific young talent, many of whom weren’t even playing their favored positions. I think the Hopkins underclassmen (some rising to junior class in terms of eligibility) are one of the underplayed stories of the 2021 season. That group is led by Epstein, Marcille, and Degnon, among others. Think they will really blossom in 2022.

@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The staff loves McDermott (for good reason). They're not going to do anything that would mess with his development. Very very high ceiling.

I see Maher as most likely to round out the second midfield. I don't think he's going to take minutes away from any current starters. As 51 said, he's more competition for the (rather large) group of guys who didn't play in 2021 but were hoping to grab some minutes in 2022. And the incoming freshmen.

If he ends up on first midfield or rounding out the attack, that may be a very good thing—means he likely wowed in preseason and lived up to his high school accolades. That'd end up being a net positive for the offense.

My guess is the staff liked him for three main reasons: 1) Eligibility. He's got a lot left, and, in theory, a lot of untapped potential. They're still building a culture and I don't think they wanted any 1-year mercenaries. 2) Athleticism. Hop's midfield has come a long way athletically but you can never have too many athletes. The rap on Maher in high school was that he could dodge by anyone and get to the goal. If that's even half true then it'll be a help. 3) He has some box experience. It's not a coincidence McDermott, Epstein, and others are spending their summers playing indoor.

If nothing else, it's already a win, because the Cuse boards were very excited when he entered the portal (originally a Cuse commit before switching to UVA). Probably not so much anymore.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:33 pm The staff loves McDermott (for good reason). They're not going to do anything that would mess with his development. Very very high ceiling.

I see Maher as most likely to round out the second midfield. I don't think he's going to take minutes away from any current starters. As 51 said, he's more competition for the (rather large) group of guys who didn't play in 2021 but were hoping to grab some minutes in 2022. And the incoming freshmen.

If he ends up on first midfield or rounding out the attack, that may be a very good thing—means he likely wowed in preseason and lived up to his high school accolades. That'd end up being a net positive for the offense.

My guess is the staff liked him for three main reasons: 1) Eligibility. He's got a lot left, and, in theory, a lot of untapped potential. They're still building a culture and I don't think they wanted any 1-year mercenaries. 2) Athleticism. Hop's midfield has come a long way athletically but you can never have too many athletes. The rap on Maher in high school was that he could dodge by anyone and get to the goal. If that's even half true then it'll be a help. 3) He has some box experience. It's not a coincidence McDermott, Epstein, and others are spending their summers playing indoor.

If nothing else, it's already a win, because the Cuse boards were very excited when he entered the portal (originally a Cuse commit before switching to UVA). Probably not so much anymore.
So … Maher was ‘Cuse before switching to Virginia. Now he’s headed to Hopkins.

Well, Maher has been trading up with respect to academics each step of the way! ;)

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hopefully he's not headed to Harvard next year.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:38 pm Maher is a huge pick-up. Can't have enough lefty shooters.
I hope Maher finds the right fit for him, but he only played 4 games when the whole bench was cleared. His stat line this year was 1 shot, no goals, 1 assist. Are you expecting him to come in next year and be a real difference maker? IMO, I would call that a true long shot.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

blue angels wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:28 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:38 pm Maher is a huge pick-up. Can't have enough lefty shooters.
I hope Maher finds the right fit for him, but he only played 4 games when the whole bench was cleared. His stat line this year was 1 shot, no goals, 1 assist. Are you expecting him to come in next year and be a real difference maker? IMO, I would call that a true long shot.
Kumar, McIntosh, Walshe, and other highly touted freshmen on offense didn't play either. I don't think it necessarily says anything about him (or any of these guys for that matter) that he wasn't able to break into Virginia's starting rotation. When you have two player of the year candidates and Dox Aitken is like your fourth best midfielder, there isn't going to be room for a true freshman to get meaningful playing time.

I also think there's a difference between "real difference maker" and "contributor." The assumption should obviously not be that he's going to come in and transform the offense and be an All-American. But I think it's reasonable to expect he will have a role.

Shellenberger redshirted as a freshman and seemed to do just fine this past year. To be clear I am not saying Maher will be Shellenberger or anything close but I don't think it's wise to draw many conclusions from the mere fact he didn't play much as a freshman—especially this past season, when so many of them didn't get to play out their senior years of high school and entered college cold. I think pretty much everyone in the class of 2020 deserves something of a mulligan.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:24 pm
re terps

https://www.coursera.org/specialization ... nking-duke

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”