Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by 8meterPA »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:22 am Of course it's commonly used throughout sports...mostly by jerks trying to get eyeballs and clicks. Many who've never played at the top level...but also by some who simply mean that a team did not jell at the right moment to enjoy that magic that separates two great teams from one another. One wins, one loses...it's all too easy to say the losing team 'choked'.

Lost in that word is that the losing team had to do a whole lot of winning to even be there. And not every day do things jell...and sometimes the other team does in a truly magical way.

And lost in that word is the losing team is made up of lots of very dedicated, committed athletes who very badly would have wanted to be on the winning end of the outcome.

So, really the question is not whether it's commonly used, but for what purpose... as a commentator, a sports writer, or just on a sport specific discussion board with the fans, often family members, of active and former players.
MD, it's impossible to try and have a rational and logical conversation with a certain poster. You're dealing with someone who has had at least 5 different usernames in 3 years, has never played the game, obviously doesn't know anyone who has played the game, has never attended a game at any level and has a demonstrated lack of understanding of the game, it's rules and sports and athletics in general. Cutting and pasting videos and creeping on player's social media is about as close as they have gotten to the game. Sad.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:46 am On a whim--I searched the word "choke" on the Men's D1 Lacrosse board.

viewtopic.php?f=290&t=2442

There were 83 matches including a whole topic devoted to choke jobs. I also searched "choked" and "choking" and both returned multiple matches. Double standard, just like Badlands pointed out.
Yes, I can see that this was a "whim" for you, given your ardent desire to win this little self-created, self-perpetuated need to ascribe losses in battle to "chokes." The Red Sox didn't choke in 1986. The Mets beat them, and Johnny Mac made a game management mistake. The three singles weren't the result of a choke; they were the result of good hitting, poor speed or location by the pitcher, etc. etc.

And there is no double standard here: if you research the single name I have used on this board and on the old LP, I am pretty sure you will not see me use the word choke to describe one team's win and another team's loss. A game is long: nine innings, 50 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes with extra time. Ascribing the win by the one team as a choke -- after 8 and 2/3 innings, after 50 minutes of play, 60 minutes of play, or 120 minutes of play and penalty kicks -- by the other is a cheap, un-nuanced. facile, and superficial way to describe the glory and pain of sports.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:37 am That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell, MDlax. This guy guy just doesn't get it, doesn't understand the disrespectful part, gives no consideration for what it takes to even be on the field (and maintain academic eligibility), everyone is just fodder for his tough talk entertainment. A number of long time posters have been driven away by his lack of understanding and continuation of this kind stuff but hey you that's who he wants to be and damn the several who have tried to point out that his style isn't appreciated. Doesn't matter the number of posters here who are personally involved with teams and players, respect for that is non existent. Imagine your son is in the cage at Dartmouth and one gets by him in 2OT and this guy comes on and tells everyone how he choked. Not at all far fetched, that's what you're dealing with here.
Good example... ;)
Yup, no matter the two preceding saves in OT, giving his team possession, but his team doesn't get a shot on net, it's the one that goes in from 5 yds that's a "choke"...I get it.

And never mind the years of commitment, the drilling, the lifting, the running...through rehabbing injuries, winning the 'slot', winning the starting role...choked... :(

As I wrote on another thread, I find it far more interesting to examine the dynamics that happen when a player or team outperforms all reasonable expectations, find that special "magic" in the moment.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

There are many opinions about the word and its usage, but choking exists in sports. It doesn't make you a bad person if you use the word choke in describing a particular kind of loss with certain parameters present, as is laid out in the following articles/features:

"In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected. This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favoured to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event. It can also refer to repeated failures in the same event, or simply infer an unexpected failure when the event is more important than usual."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(sports)

https://newarena.com/sports/from-buckne ... istory/10/
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Oh. It’s in Wikipedia. Well then….
DMac

Post by DMac »

Did you look that one up on a whim too? Yes, there are several ways the word choke can be used such as, one poster is choking the life out of the wlax forum.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:45 pm Did you look that one up on a whim too? Yes, there are several ways the word choke can be used such as, one poster is choking the life out of the wlax forum.
Hahahaha
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

+1
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:39 pm Oh. It’s in Wikipedia. Well then….
:lol: :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Who knew?

Westhampton Beach alums Hollie Schleicher and Belle Smith are cousins.

Nice article on Hollie and Belle and the Eagles:

https://sagharborexpress.com/former-pie ... mpionship/

OuttaNowhereWregget

This is a great documentary about a great man--Howard Cosell. I thought it was appropriate to put here given the events of the last few months.

OuttaNowhereWregget

A Thing of the Past

We won't be seeing this anymore--in Northwestern, or anywhere else I don't think, except for Michigan maybe. All fieldhouse play during the cold weather these days. On this opening day in 2018 it was 20 degrees, not factoring in the bone-chilling wind coming in off Lake Michigan.

wlaxphan20

Re: A Thing of the Past

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:05 am We won't be seeing this anymore--in Northwestern, or anywhere else I don't think, except for Michigan maybe. All fieldhouse play during the cold weather these days. On this opening day in 2018 it was 20 degrees, not factoring in the bone-chilling wind coming in off Lake Michigan.

at least Canisius was probably used to the weather
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'd say. Couldn't believe the Cuse gals were making the trip for the second game of the day on this day. That didn't look like a good idea from the start to me. In case anyone is wondering Cuse wins this one when the game resumes about a month or so later.
https://gogriffs.com/news/2016/4/4/210860780.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

Ever Wonder How Many?

How many folks frequent the D1 Women's Lacrosse boards in a given block of time?

I just happened to leave my laptop up when I left for work this morning. When I got home I noticed and wondered how many people had visited the topics that were the most recent so I snapped a screenshot. I refreshed and took another screenshot. Interesting findings, I thought. Seems a lot of folks pop in to read and comment. I often notice down the bottom of the screen that there are always a number of "guests". Guests are visitors who either don't have an account, or members who don't login. Each visit to a topic constitutes a "view". That also encompasses the same guest or member visiting the same topic multiple times. So--between roughly 5:00 am and 12:30 pm, the topics that ended up in both (minus 2005 NCAA...) screenshots received views as follows:

Syracuse - 135
2021 Season in Review - 59
Big 10 Women's - 95
Ivy League - 95
Coaching Carousel - 78
Women's USA team - 79

Not too shabby for less than 8 hours during which most folks are either sleeping, getting ready for work, eating breakfast, making coffee, getting the kids up and taken care of, commuting to work, beginning their work day, etc. And this is a month and a half into the offseason. Not too shabby indeed. Way to go, FanLax!

5:00 AM Screenshot

12:25 PM Screenshot

Dr. Tact

Re: Ever Wonder How Many?

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:43 pm Syracuse - 135
Big 10 Women's - 95
Ivy League - 95
Coaching Carousel - 78
Women's USA team - 79
Does this account for Google and other bots that are caching the pages?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Ever Wonder How Many?

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:45 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:43 pm Syracuse - 135
Big 10 Women's - 95
Ivy League - 95
Coaching Carousel - 78
Women's USA team - 79
Does this account for Google and other bots that are caching the pages?
Oh--good question, Doc. I suppose Matnum would know.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Going back through the archives and found this interesting historical photo. I was at the May 20th Elite 8 game at BC vs USC in 2017 when (gasp!) here comes Kayla Treanor, (who was and is greatly esteemed by your humble narrator), with an entourage of her Boston Storm teammates (remember that cup of coffee league?). I wondered that she was at the game. I could barely focus on the action until I snapped this photo. I briefly told Ms. Treanor after the game that I greatly appreciated her career and that she was responsible for my becoming a fan of the sport.

Then as events unfolded over the next few weeks it became clear, it was all part of the process of Treanor becoming the associate head coach for Boston College.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Humble narrator?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll:
Have always liked Kayla, sure not happy about the effect she had on you though.
OuttaNowhereWregget

This is the Pride Lacrosse team celebrating their 5-4 win over the Yellow Jackets (N.Y.) to claim the USA Lacrosse Youth Nationals 13U Championship this Wednesday past. Makes my heart sing to see these young women passionate about the great sport of women's lacrosse. The next generation on the way...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”