Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
netminder

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by netminder »

I can’t imagine a top 20 program taking a chance on Scanlan this year. I believe in 2nd chances but this young man may need to step away from the game for a bit and get his house in order.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Understood. What's bothering me most here is all the dancing around about "what happened at Syracuse". He beat his girlfriend. Put her through a wall. He's been arrested for it and apparently awaiting trial (correct me if I''m wrong). Given D1 lacrosse's too painful and too recent history with this, he's not getting a "second chance", certainly not from any D1 school. How about some accountability first?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Happy 4th fellow Hop fans.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Bit surprised he entered portal. Some school at some level will give him a opportunity if his issue is resolved in court because that is what America does. Be said he has paid his price and every one deserves a second chance to redeem.He'll say he realizes his mistakes blah, blah, blah. However, it wont be a top thirty team because his talent and impact is not enough for any to take the PR hit. Im thinking some d2 and with good behavior that he'll eventually play in NLL. Hopefully guided to long lasting change.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

bananas wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:08 pm Bit surprised he entered portal. Some school at some level will give him a opportunity if his issue is resolved in court because that is what America does. Be said he has paid his price and every one deserves a second chance to redeem.He'll say he realizes his mistakes blah, blah, blah. However, it wont be a top thirty team because his talent and impact is not enough for any to take the PR hit. Im thinking some d2 and with good behavior that he'll eventually play in NLL. Hopefully guided to long lasting change.

Yeah, he's never seeing the sideline of a D1 program as a player. Just not worth the political capital involved to do that for any program. I can see a D2 team being more accommodating about it but that is still a huge hill to climb. No way a D3 would even consider him.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:17 am
bananas wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:08 pm Bit surprised he entered portal. Some school at some level will give him a opportunity if his issue is resolved in court because that is what America does. Be said he has paid his price and every one deserves a second chance to redeem.He'll say he realizes his mistakes blah, blah, blah. However, it wont be a top thirty team because his talent and impact is not enough for any to take the PR hit. Im thinking some d2 and with good behavior that he'll eventually play in NLL. Hopefully guided to long lasting change.

Yeah, he's never seeing the sideline of a D1 program as a player. Just not worth the political capital involved to do that for any program. I can see a D2 team being more accommodating about it but that is still a huge hill to climb. No way a D3 would even consider him.
Interesting to see if he gets a PLL shot at some point.
primitiveskills

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:25 am

I would think Paul is too image conscious to take that on. Appropriately so, in this case.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:08 am

I would think Paul is too image conscious to take that on. Appropriately so, in this case.
Isn’t one of the PLL awards named after Jim Brown? Brown has six charges of domestic abuse, 2 rape charges, and 2 convictions of assault and abuse.
primitiveskills

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:16 am

Isn’t one of the PLL awards named after Jim Brown? Brown has six charges of domestic abuse, 2 rape charges, and 2 convictions of assault and abuse.
Fair point. Though the chance that the PLL target audience knows anything about Jim Brown is next to zero. To be clear, I think there shuld be some accountability for Scanlan before we start talking second-chance opportunities.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:23 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:16 am

Fair point. Though the chance that the PLL target audience knows anything about Jim Brown is next to zero. To be clear, I think there shuld be some accountability for Scanlan before we start talking second-chance opportunities.
It would seem Paul has his own image to worry about. Saw video of him going all Myles Garrett on Jack Rowlett this weekend. Pulls his helmet off and throws it at his face. Reports of Rowlett having a broken nose. It keeps getting wiped off Twitter though
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:49 pm
It would seem Paul has his own image to worry about. Saw video of him going all Myles Garrett on Jack Rowlett this weekend. Pulls his helmet off and throws it at his face. Reports of Rowlett having a broken nose. It keeps getting wiped off Twitter though
Rowlett is one of the dirtiest players in the league. I haven't seen the clip, but if that's what happened, he probably deserved it.

Speaking of Paul, what the guy has been doing lately is pretty incredible. Everyone said he was washed last year but this year he's been among the top scorers in the league. And he's dating a model actress. And he's on Seth Meyers promoting the game. Big few months for the dude. But most impressed that he's still playing at an elite level at 35, which is ancient in lacrosse years.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:28 pm
Rowlett is one of the dirtiest players in the league. I haven't seen the clip, but if that's what happened, he probably deserved it.

Speaking of Paul, what the guy has been doing lately is pretty incredible. Everyone said he was washed last year but this year he's been among the top scorers in the league. And he's dating a model actress. And he's on Seth Meyers promoting the game. Big few months for the dude. But most impressed that he's still playing at an elite level at 35, which is ancient in lacrosse years.
Agree and for comparison Durkin (much younger) who used to draw the number one cover assignment no longer does. He clearly has lost a step.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Happy Rabil is doing well, but what I really care about from him and KH18 and the rest of alums who played is the full throated endorsement through their social media channels of PM and the 2022 guys. Not really excited if they start showing up at cuse games and posting weekly love notes to their coach who now leads a rival of ours.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:50 pm

Happy Rabil is doing well, but what I really care about from him and KH18 and the rest of alums who played is the full throated endorsement through their social media channels of PM and the 2022 guys. Not really excited if they start showing up at cuse games and posting weekly love notes to their coach who now leads a rival of ours.
Do you die if you don't complain about something for longer than 24 hours
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bull💩 no one deserves a helmet being thrown at their head? In any other league that is grounds for expulsion. Then the PLL committee comes out with generic statement of 3 players being fined. No comment on fine amounts of each player. As one commenter posted.....maybe Paul called mom and asked her to call Mike to make it go away.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:38 pm

Bull💩 no one deserves a helmet being thrown at their head? In any other league that is grounds for expulsion. Then the PLL committee comes out with generic statement of 3 players being fined. No comment on fine amounts of each player. As one commenter posted.....maybe Paul called mom and asked her to call Mike to make it go away.
hey! this is the hopkins thread! it probably was the other guy!
didn't love the look for the pll. fight earlier in the game. lot of youngsters watching (well, a lot of lacrosse world youngsters, anyway). they gonna be hockey? tbd. suspensions would've helped.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Xanders’ twitter
Former @UVAMensLax attack/middie Russell Maher is set to transfer to @JHUMensLacrosse, he confirmed to IL. A four-star recruit in 2020 out of Mount Sinai (N.Y.), the athletic lefty played in four games for the Wahoos in 2021, registering one assist.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:01 pm Xanders’ twitter
Former @UVAMensLax attack/middie Russell Maher is set to transfer to @JHUMensLacrosse, he confirmed to IL. A four-star recruit in 2020 out of Mount Sinai (N.Y.), the athletic lefty played in four games for the Wahoos in 2021, registering one assist.
Very interesting. Three years of eligibility left, good size and appears to be athletic and capable of filling multiple roles. Have to imagine he thinks there's a good shot at playing time.

Your top 9 at this point is probably something like:

DeSo
Epstein
Grimes
Degnon
Peshko
McDermott
Angelus
Keogh
Maher

Middie lines and 3rd attack spot TBD but it'll likely be some combination of these guys barring a freshman or underclassman unexpectedly stepping up, which of course is possible. Or another transfer. But if there are any more incoming I feel like they'd be more likely to be SSDM or LSM.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

interesting. more if he earns a spot on the wing, and grimes, mcdermott, angelus (even if the latter 2 aren't lefties) and whoever else are then assessing their opportunities.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Not a doctor or trainer but athletes have not had a full season w/fall ball since 2018-19, and a lot of our guys will be seeing their first d1 fall ball/regular season of their careers so think potential injuries and depth are a key story for next year. Not tracking other programs but would assume especially maryland are much better equipped depth wise to handle the physical requirements/attrition of return to regular schedule.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”