Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
D2fan

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by D2fan »

Slim wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:33 am Wouldn't be surprised if Scanlan winds up on Maryland's eastern shore. There's a school and a coach there who'll take anybody to win, regardless of character. They've had success with outliers before. Seriously doubt any D1 program worth a grain a salt will tarnish their reputation by taking him. You watch, he will be a Seagull.
My money is on Limestone. Especially after their abysmal 2021 season. The program has taken chances on players in the past and it has worked out both positively and negatively in the long run. They also have strong ties to the Canada and have had Native American players from Scanlan's region in the past (Larson Sundown being the most recent).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

D2fan wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:00 pm
Slim wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:33 am Wouldn't be surprised if Scanlan winds up on Maryland's eastern shore. There's a school and a coach there who'll take anybody to win, regardless of character. They've had success with outliers before. Seriously doubt any D1 program worth a grain a salt will tarnish their reputation by taking him. You watch, he will be a Seagull.
My money is on Limestone. Especially after their abysmal 2021 season. The program has taken chances on players in the past and it has worked out both positively and negatively in the long run. They also have strong ties to the Canada and have had Native American players from Scanlan's region in the past (Larson Sundown being the most recent).
He's damaged goods. If the Cuse' players were going to walk out on him, why would any other coach risk that...for a mediocre player?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Slim

Post by Slim »

Good call, D2. I could see that as well.

Still a big risk for a one-dimensional player.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:24 pm
He's damaged goods. If the Cuse' players were going to walk out on him, why would any other coach risk that...for a mediocre player?
Mediocre? I wouldn’t take a chance on him but “mediocre”….you know what a “mediocre” player actually is? In what world is 33 points in 9 games playing for an “ACC” team “mediocre”. He’s above average at least.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:33 pm
Mediocre? I wouldn’t take a chance on him but “mediocre”….you know what a “mediocre” player actually is? In what world is 33 points in 9 games playing for an “ACC” team “mediocre”. He’s above average at least.
in his time at cuse (14 games), he outscored everyone in the acc besides rehfuss, gray, sowers, kavanaugh and shellenberger in ppg for their 2021 seasons. and a couple of those guys nicked him.
and he had 58 points as a freshman midfielder.

yes, he was not an initiator primarily. until scanlan came along, it seemed most fans were fine with guys that could also finish.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:33 pm
in his time at cuse (14 games), he outscored everyone in the acc besides rehfuss, gray, sowers, kavanaugh and shellenberger in ppg for their 2021 seasons. and a couple of those guys nicked him.
and he had 58 points as a freshman midfielder.

yes, he was not an initiator primarily. until scanlan came along, it seemed most fans were fine with guys that could also finish.
Basically a scrub.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Slim wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:49 pm Good call, D2. I could see that as well.

Still a big risk for a one-dimensional player.
Definitely a big risk, but he’s not that one dimensional when dropped down to the D2/D3 level. He’s likely a player of the year caliber guy at a place like Limestone.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:20 am
Scanlan is the type of admission candidate for whom the admissions committee and athletic department would need to consult with the college or university general counsel office before admitting.

It’s difficult seeing any GC signing off on that admission decision.

DocBarrister
Totally agree. But I do think Slim's right - that institution is known for um...taking risks.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Everyone deserves a second chance.....but he has already used those all up. It's a shame but I don't think anyone will take a chance right now. What has he done to help himself to this point? Has he done anything? Rehab or anger management? Need to help yourself first and foremost.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I hope Tehoka gets a second chance and I hope it’s at Syracuse. He is a very different person from Scanlan and shouldn’t be lumped in with him. Tehoka is a passionate and demanding teammate. I am confident that GG could channel his talents in the right direction. It would fun to see him take one more run at college lacrosse. I imagine this would be a big statement as GG continues to recruit top tier Native American talent.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Enough about Scanlan already.

Here is something. Not sure if it counts as entering the transfer portal for the purposes of this thread but it's worth pointing out:

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/14 ... 8544039951
Maryland's second team All-American midfielder Kyle Long has entered the NCAA's grad transfer portal for football, multiple sources told
@Inside_Lacrosse. He'll play the next two seasons for @TerpsMLAX and look to play college football in the fall of 2023.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Scanlan was overrated but he was a good talent and wrap on him being one dimensional is misplaced . Everyone plays off a Spencer or Sowers but wont discount his numbers much since he displayed an innate ability to score from many spots off variety of shots . Versatile enough to play both attack and mid , good passer and rode well hustled with few exceptions and contact didnt bother. He and the coddlers blew the big stage as his act and baggage will deter most but he'd be a POY candidate at d2.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:09 am I hope Tehoka gets a second chance and I hope it’s at Syracuse. He is a very different person from Scanlan and shouldn’t be lumped in with him. Tehoka is a passionate and demanding teammate. I am confident that GG could channel his talents in the right direction. It would fun to see him take one more run at college lacrosse. I imagine this would be a big statement as GG continues to recruit top tier Native American talent.
I’ve heard exactly the opposite from teammates. Not that he abuses women, but that he is a cancer to the locker room and a total distraction for the team.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:09 am I hope Tehoka gets a second chance and I hope it’s at Syracuse. He is a very different person from Scanlan and shouldn’t be lumped in with him. Tehoka is a passionate and demanding teammate. I am confident that GG could channel his talents in the right direction. It would fun to see him take one more run at college lacrosse. I imagine this would be a big statement as GG continues to recruit top tier Native American talent.

Cuse has a need but hard to envision that addition coming off the Scanlan fiasco.

Understand issues were separate and distinct but timing is just awful.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:25 am Enough about Scanlan already.

Here is something. Not sure if it counts as entering the transfer portal for the purposes of this thread but it's worth pointing out:

Maryland's second team All-American midfielder Kyle Long has entered the NCAA's grad transfer portal for football, multiple sources told
@Inside_Lacrosse. He'll play the next two seasons for @TerpsMLAX and look to play college football in the fall of 2023.
Long had a tremendous senior season, a wide receiver Long had almost 900 yards receiving on an excellent Springfield team which won 4 state football playoff games and was undefeated until losing their last game.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:29 am
I’ve heard exactly the opposite from teammates. Not that he abuses women, but that he is a cancer to the locker room and a total distraction for the team.
Gait is not going to bring any baggage to his AD or team right now. Tehoka may entice Cuse fans but it would be heavily criticized coming off Scanlan and the chemistry on field would be questionable besides.

Syracuse needs to replace Refhuss. Not a big name in portal but JP Basile would have nicely complemented their offensive personnel well. Same with Murphy. Wonder if either was approached.
DMac

Post by DMac »

"Coming off Scanlan", if that means because they're both NAs I completely disagree, one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch, Cuse has had plenty of success with NAs. If it means they're both too much of a distraction and bring too much drama, I agree.
As talented as Tehoka is (he can also be a very lazy player who gives you far from 100%) he's also a huge ball hog who chokes offenses. He tries to do too much too often and is reluctant to give the ball up until he's so tied up that's all he can do. If he could ever be taught to be a part of an offense rather than thinking he's the entire offense he could be ridiculously good and an asset to a team but I don't see that happening. I think the odds of him coming to Cuse are very slim at best.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:56 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:25 am Enough about Scanlan already.

Long had a tremendous senior season, a wide receiver Long had almost 900 yards receiving on an excellent Springfield team which won 4 state football playoff games and was undefeated until losing their last game.
Whoa, that first sentence caused a Cannizzaro flashback. Long certainly could be the difference between Maryland winning the National Championship or whatever team he (theoretically) would have gone to, which thankfully he's not.

Interesting timing or dynamics on this, since 2023 is 2 years away and it will be his 5th year of lacrosse just like Jared just had. I wouldn't think he'd need to do any sort of transfer documentation after 5 years and graduating, but maybe it just puts his name out there so the football coaches can show interest at any time? EIther way, it's a pretty cool way for a student athlete to live the college life.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:11 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:29 am
Gait is not going to bring any baggage to his AD or team right now. Tehoka may entice Cuse fans but it would be heavily criticized coming off Scanlan and the chemistry on field would be questionable besides.

Syracuse needs to replace Refhuss. Not a big name in portal but JP Basile would have nicely complemented their offensive personnel well. Same with Murphy. Wonder if either was approached.
nick demaio was a big name coming in, breaking into the terps lineup can be hard. has 2 years left. if cuse isn't sold on a 3rd att, can see them getting one.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Brian Minicus from Colgate would be a good fit in that role

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”