Voting Rights

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ggait

Re: Voting Rights

Post by ggait »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:00 pm Rudy Giuliani’s law license has been suspended, partly for lying about the 2020 election.
As RINO Rick Wilson's book title says, everything Trump touches dies.

For a lawyer, Trump is literally the worst client you could ever have.

He's the trifecta/Triple Crown of horrible:

Doesn't listen. Trashes your reputation. And doesn't pay.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:39 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:00 pm Rudy Giuliani’s law license has been suspended, partly for lying about the 2020 election.

I have been saying it for years…..anyone that becomes a part of Trump’s orbit is diminished. He has his cheerleaders here. I will never understand it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:47 pm

I have been saying it for years…..anyone that becomes a part of Trump’s orbit is diminished. He has his cheerleaders here. I will never understand it.

Literally not one Trump cheerleader ‘here’. But if it makes you feel good to repeat it, your amen corner will rah rah you to your safe space.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:05 pm

Literally not one Trump cheerleader ‘here’. But if it makes you feel good to repeat it, your amen corner will rah rah you to your safe space.
Agreed. Anyone NOT them, is a Trump cheerleader. #Playedout
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:59 pm

... :lol: :lol: You guys have everyone fooled. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:59 pm

You should read this piece. A well known musician was canceled by the left, not because he’s on the right, but because he didn’t criticize the right.

https://www.newsweek.com/why-im-leaving ... on-1603978

The left is what ALEXANDER SOLZHENITSYN warned the world about.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

That doesn't pay part is where any good lawyer cuts bait.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Justice Department suing Georgia over election law it says restricts Black voters' access
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/po ... 344151001/
The Justice Department is suing the state of Georgia in an effort to overturn a contentious state law that federal officials claim restricts Black voters' access to the polls in likely the first of several legal challenges to states' newly imposed election laws.

"The rights of all citizens to vote are the central pillars of our democracy," Attorney General Merrick Garland said Friday, adding that recent changes to Georgia law amounted to voter suppression.

“This lawsuit is the first step of many we are taking to ensure that all eligible voters can cast a vote; that all lawful votes are counted; and that every voter has access to accurate information.”

Attorney General Merrick Garland says on June 16, 2021, that immigration judges should no longer follow the rules that made it difficult for immigrants who faced domestic or gang violence to win asylum.
The government alleges that the state law was passed with "discriminatory purpose … that departed from normal practice and procedure."

Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke, chief of DOJ's Civil Rights Division, said Friday the state acted with the "intent" to deny Black voters' access.

The Justice action also took aim at a provision in the state law that banned the distribution of food and water to voters who often are forced to wait in long lines to cast their ballots.

The Georgia law, signed behind closed doors earlier this year by Gov. Brian Kemp, has been roundly lambasted as blatant voter suppression by Democrats while Republicans have characterized it as election reform.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

8 Years On, John Roberts’ Disastrous Voting Rights Ruling Is Wreaking Havoc

Roberts issued the ruling for a five-vote Supreme Court majority in the Shelby County v. Holder case stating that the preclearance formula enacted in the historic Voting Rights Act of 1965 ― which required certain states to get federal approval for voting changes ― was no longer applicable. He reasoned the policy had been so successful at curbing discriminatory election practices that it was no longer justified.

He was wrong.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:31 pm 8 Years On, John Roberts’ Disastrous Voting Rights Ruling Is Wreaking Havoc

Roberts issued the ruling for a five-vote Supreme Court majority in the Shelby County v. Holder case stating that the preclearance formula enacted in the historic Voting Rights Act of 1965 ― which required certain states to get federal approval for voting changes ― was no longer applicable. He reasoned the policy had been so successful at curbing discriminatory election practices that it was no longer justified.

He was wrong.

Oh so wrong...

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Biden just gave a primary assist to Brian Kemp of Georgia by siccing the birdbrain lunatics at DOJ’s civil rights clown car division to sue Georgia.

Now Kemp gets to claim he’s the guy the left hates.

The idiocy of this administration is epic.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The Stupid is strong today. Boycott.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Bill Barr:

"There was nothing there. It was all bull shirt.”

"Your [Trump's] people keep on shoveling this shirt out.”

"You [Trump] have a clown show. No self-respecting lawyer is going anywhere near it. It’s just a joke."
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Chris Hayes makes a pretty compelling argument (like another one is really needed) while calling BS on the republican mania of voter fraud.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Judge Blocks Florida Law Barring Twitter, Facebook Bans of Candidates
Restrictions on social-media companies seen as likely violating First Amendment and conflicting with federal law

Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis in May signed legislation prohibiting social-media sites from banning any candidate running for public office in Florida.
PHOTO: CARL JUSTE/TNS/ZUMA PRESS
By Jacob Gershman
Updated June 30, 2021 11:15 pm ET
SAVE
TEXT
Listen to Article 4 minutes

00:00 / 04:21
1x

Queue
This article is in your queue.Open Queue
A federal judge in Florida on Wednesday blocked the state from enforcing key parts of a new law that makes social-media companies such as Twitter Inc. and Facebook Inc. potentially liable for censoring political candidates, the news media and other users.

U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle in Tallahassee granted an injunction against the law hours before it was slated to take effect. In a 31-page opinion, he said the statute’s restrictions on content removal and its liability provisions likely violate the First Amendment and conflict with federal law.

He declined to halt another part of the law that allows state authorities to bar a social-media company from state-government contracts if it is accused of an antitrust violation. Judge Hinkle said that provision raised legal issues but posed no immediate threat to internet companies that justified emergency intervention.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
Notes on the News

Today’s headlines, news in context, and good reads you may have missed, with Tyler Blint-Welsh.

PREVIEW
SUBSCRIBE
The legislation, which was signed by Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in May, prohibits social-media sites from banning any candidate running for public office in Florida, subjecting violators to fines of as much as $250,000 a day. It also restricts sites from censoring “journalistic enterprises” based on their content and gives Florida residents the ability to bring lawsuits and recover statutory and punitive damages against companies that fail to apply their content standards consistently. The law left undefined the standard of consistency imposed.

In an unusual carve-out, the state exempts companies that own and operate a theme park.

Mr. DeSantis said the law acted as protection against a “Silicon Valley power grab on speech, thought, and content.” Republicans more widely have accused tech firms of biased censorship during the debate over speech rights and the spread of misinformation in the digital age. Legislators cited the expulsion of former President Donald Trump from big social-media platforms and the suppression of the New York Post’s reporting on Hunter Biden as reasons why the law was needed. (The Post and The Wall Street Journal are both owned by News Corp.)

Industry trade groups representing major tech platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and Alphabet Inc.’s Google, challenged the law in court, arguing that the statute violated their constitutional rights to make editorial judgments about content moderation. They also argued that the statute is pre-empted by Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, a 25-year-old federal law that shields internet platforms from lawsuits for content generated by third parties and that allows sites to remove content they find objectionable without fear of liability.

In court papers, the tech industry warned that the Florida law would weaken policing of unlawful content, including terrorist propaganda.

Judge Hinkle, an appointee of President Bill Clinton, said the bill restricted speech by dictating to social-media companies who can use their sites and what content they can post. Citing legislators’ public comments, the judge said lawmakers appeared to be motivated by a desire to protect conservative voices from internet censorship. He said such speech restrictions on companies based on their perceived viewpoint required Florida to show that there was a powerful public need for the law and that enacting anything more limited wouldn’t do.

Florida failed to show that need, he wrote. “Leveling the playing field—promoting speech on one side of an issue or restricting speech on the other—is not a legitimate state interest,” his opinion stated.

The president of the Computer & Communications Industry Association, a co-plaintiff in the lawsuit, said Wednesday that Judge Hinkle’s ruling “reaffirms what we have been saying: Florida’s statute is an extraordinary overreach.”

Mr. DeSantis’s office said the state would appeal the ruling to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. “We are disappointed by Judge Hinkle’s ruling and disagree with his determination that the U.S. Constitution protects Big Tech’s censorship of certain individuals and content over others,” a statement from the governor’s office said.

Write to Jacob Gershman at [email protected]

Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
Appeared in the July 1, 2021, print edition as 'Florida Law Targeting Social Media Blocked.'
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Andy Harris, the only Maryland congressman who is a republican is at risk of being gerrymandered out of a job. I hate gerrymandering, but we are playing by conservative SCOTUS rules. It is beyond time to send this guy to the dustbin of history.

There is no doubt it can be done if the democratic controlled Senate and House wish to do it. It could have been done in 2011, but was not.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:33 pm Andy Harris, the only Maryland congressman who is a republican is at risk of being gerrymandered out of a job. I hate gerrymandering, but we are playing by conservative SCOTUS rules. It is beyond time to send this guy to the dustbin of history.

There is no doubt it can be done if the democratic controlled Senate and House wish to do it. It could have been done in 2011, but was not.
Don't know much about him....what is your issue with him.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:42 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:33 pm Andy Harris, the only Maryland congressman who is a republican is at risk of being gerrymandered out of a job. I hate gerrymandering, but we are playing by conservative SCOTUS rules. It is beyond time to send this guy to the dustbin of history.

Don't know much about him....what is your issue with him.
Hard right, says some of the most inane stuff, and now full on Trumpist. Including the Big Lie full on.

On a more practical level, he decided to not submit any projects in his district or anywhere in Md for set asides. Only Md congressman not to do so. It’s a very different process than the old days. 100% transparency, each representative gets 10 specific nominations, all public, which are then reviewed and a fraction are approved in the appropriations process. Dummy.

The article 72 linked gives you a sense. Gerrymandering has actually made his seat safe for an R, time to make it not safe. Which will make a Dem seat more competitive in exchange.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

https://babylonbee.com/news/10-reasons- ... f-all-time
10 Reasons The 2020 Election Was The Fairest Election Of All Time

Everyone knows the 2020 election was literally the most secure and fair presidential election—like, ever. But we know there are still a few skeptics out there. Here at the Bee, our number one mission is to prevent the spread of misinformation and make sure everyone still has faith in our democracy.

To help convince you, here is the undeniable evidence the election was fair:

1. Literally everyone says so: Duh. The 2020 election couldn't have been rigged because all the people who are cool and smart and not weird say so. Do you want to look like a weirdo? Ew.

2. Journalists were fair and balanced in assessing the qualities of moderate, kind, decent Joe Biden, and of his opponent Hitler: Thank God for the press! They really made sure to give a fair and honest assessment of the most popular and wonderful president ever and the evil orange monster who wanted to kill democracy and take away all our norms and stuff. Great job, journalists!

3. Mail-in votes were handled by USPS—the most reliable, trustworthy company on the planet: The post office almost never screws up, loses, or delays US mail. It's quite amazing, really.

4. Vote counters in Philadelphia and Detroit spent many years practicing how to count before election night: Some of them since kindergarten! The election was truly in good hands.

5. The Democrats have never done anything wrong, ever: Not ever.

6. Posters and barricades were held up to block people from seeing the unprecedented, blinding levels of vote counting fairness: Poll watchers showed up, but their eyeballs would have been burned out by the awe-inspiring amount of vote counting integrity. Many lives saved!

7. Absolutely nobody was threatened behind a poolhouse by a chain-wielding Biden: Biden is a fine, upstanding man of integrity and would never do something like that.

8. New York didn't just accidentally count 138,000 ballots, a bizarrely familiar number: Science has clearly shown that voter fraud is completely impossible and would never happen here, especially in New York City where they're really good at elections.

9. The election turned out exactly how your late great, great grandfather would have wanted: This was verified by his vote in the 2020 election.

10. The Democrat candidate won, which is perhaps the most important sign of a fair and impartial election: The evil, fascist dictator was voted out of office. Anything that was done to achieve this was fair, right?

We hope you have seen the light. Now shut up about the election you insurrectionist!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Are we supposed to think that's actually funny?

Return to “POLITICS”