D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:00 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:48 pm
Hail to the Victors wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:23 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:51 am I have not personally interacted with lacrosse-playing Iroquois, but of the American Indians I have known, their first preference was their tribe (in the case of those whom I have known: Cherokee or Seminole), but their second choice was simply Indian.

That said, Native American is nowhere as egregiously bilingually illiterate as Latinx.
Tribe first...First Nations, Native Americans...

"American Indians" has a quite mixed reception, some prefer, some do not..."Indians" pretty universally frowned upon, though not by 100%.
Frowned on by whom? Enlightened academics?

My experience, abeit limited, is that 44 is right. The term "indian" is used regularly, and not in derogatorily, by group members themselves. Then again, they have real issues to deal with. Especially the ones back on the rez.
yes, more frowned upon by activists. Yes, some of those are academics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Am ... ontroversy
Speaking of lacrosse, any word, MDL, on where Peter Rizzotti might land?

DocBarrister :)
I haven't heard. Excellent player.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:57 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:00 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:48 pm
Hail to the Victors wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:23 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:51 am I have not personally interacted with lacrosse-playing Iroquois, but of the American Indians I have known, their first preference was their tribe (in the case of those whom I have known: Cherokee or Seminole), but their second choice was simply Indian.

That said, Native American is nowhere as egregiously bilingually illiterate as Latinx.
Tribe first...First Nations, Native Americans...

"American Indians" has a quite mixed reception, some prefer, some do not..."Indians" pretty universally frowned upon, though not by 100%.
Frowned on by whom? Enlightened academics?

My experience, abeit limited, is that 44 is right. The term "indian" is used regularly, and not in derogatorily, by group members themselves. Then again, they have real issues to deal with. Especially the ones back on the rez.
yes, more frowned upon by activists. Yes, some of those are academics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Am ... ontroversy
Speaking of lacrosse, any word, MDL, on where Peter Rizzotti might land?

I haven't heard. Excellent player.
Thanks, MDL!

@DocBarrister
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:49 am
NYterp09 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:46 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:55 pm
flalax22 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:45 pm Owen Murphy to Maryland.
Only one ball. Somebody who was expecting to get significant playing time next year (Malever, Long, Maltz, etc.) is simply not going to see the field very much.

Wish Owen well, except against us. I think he'll have an impact there, though may not start on attack.
You must be high if you think Long is losing any playing time…dude is one of the best middies in the country and I wouldn’t at all be shocked to see him wear #1 next year. Tillman has loved him since he stepped foot on campus (and for good reason).

Out of the three you mentioned Maltz would seem like the most likely one to lose his spot but everyone assumed Holden and/or Brown were going to be automatic inserts into the starting lineup last season yet they played all year on the 2nd midfield line so we’ll see.
Lot of Maryland fans were saying Long would, or at least should, move full time to attack next year. I tended to agree with them. I highly doubt that happens now. He might not necessarily *lose* playing time but it’s also unlikely to grow much beyond what it’s been, as Terp fans I’ve talked to hoped and expected it would. Same goes for a number of younger guys—Kelly comes to mind—who were hoping to see the field in a meaningful way.

As far as Holden and Brown go—Holden clearly got hurt early on and fell out of favor. Who knows what his season would have been like if healthy. And I don’t recall everyone unanimously declaring Brown was going to be an “automatic insert” into the starting lineup. Maybe before Bernhardt said he was coming back last minute which changed the equation considerably.
Holden definitely wasn’t at his best early on but I still don’t see him cracking the top 6. And as others have pointed out in other threads, long might very well fall into the Conor kelly mold next year. Basically a middie in name only who never leaves the field and runs the offense. Doesn’t really matter where he ends up as long as he gets the ball.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Chase Scanlan is in the portal.
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:39 am Chase Scanlan is in the portal.
The thought of someone actually giving him a chance is disgusting. I’m vomiting
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Jhu99 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:23 am
I think Coach P needs to send him a Christmas card this year.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... iner/58153
Foy does a nice job here, and it's a rare IL piece that isn't riddled with grammar errors and obscene ACC man crushing. There are some unique and interesting ways for PM to use this to recruit and ways this can be a singular advantage to him, namely that at Hopkins a lacrosse player isn't competing for local $ from sponsors w/football players, basketball players etc, our games are almost all on national tv, Baltimore is a market that understands the value of the game and is willing to pay for it, and while it's a market big enough to support pro sports teams it's not one with all 4.
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:27 pm
So, you don’t mind that he beat up his girlfriend? Winning lacrosse games is far more important than standing up to domestic violence…
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

Jhu99 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:44 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:27 pm
So, you don’t mind that he beat up his girlfriend? Winning lacrosse games is far more important than standing up to domestic violence…
I think he's implying that Petro should send him an xmas card because he has a job as a result of Scanlons actions. Without the Scanlon saga, the coaching staff at Syracuse likely would have remained for another season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

In that case Petro very well could be the Penn State DC now, which he might have preferred to Cuse had it become available sooner.

Not sure why we’re talking about Scanlan here anyway. Move it to another thread.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:24 am In that case Petro very well could be the Penn State DC now, which he might have preferred to Cuse had it become available sooner.

Not sure why we’re talking about Scanlan here anyway. Move it to another thread.
What, you don't think Scanlon could help the Hop midfield next year?
I seem to recall how much everyone wanted him when he left Loyola.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"It's hopkins big weekend, Paul Rabil is there, and Gary Gait getting interviewed at Homewood giving his recruiting pitch from your field has to make Hopkins fans nuts...Where was Peter Milliman..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vepBhvdkbEA&t=18s

Well played
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:50 am "It's hopkins big weekend, Paul Rabil is there, and Gary Gait getting interviewed at Homewood giving his recruiting pitch from your field has to make Hopkins fans nuts...Where was Peter Milliman..."

Well played
Hopefully he was out recruiting the next AA at attack or midfield. Who cares about him attending a PLL game. That clip is just noise.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:33 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:24 am In that case Petro very well could be the Penn State DC now, which he might have preferred to Cuse had it become available sooner.

No. He has been a problem at every school he has attended including high school.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:16 am
jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:50 am "It's hopkins big weekend, Paul Rabil is there, and Gary Gait getting interviewed at Homewood giving his recruiting pitch from your field has to make Hopkins fans nuts...Where was Peter Milliman..."

Well played
Hopefully he was out recruiting the next AA at attack or midfield. Who cares about him attending a PLL game. That clip is just noise.
Not that it matters but I believe Pete was there Friday night. Foy mentioned in an IL story that he spoke to him on the Cordish deck. Saturday he was probably out recruiting, you know, doing his job. A complete nothing story that 06 wants to turn into something because it’s July and he’s bored and we’re still seven months away from him calling for all the best players to be benched.

DeSo appears to be one of the many college athletes to receive a Barstool sponsorship. Seems like they’re giving those out like candy.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Is this a serious post? Are you not aware of what happened with Scanlan in April?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-The link was from LSN which does a wonderful job and I saw it originally from syracusefan.com which I do not post on. The media and syracuse seem a lot more interested in what Petro means for the rivalry than them.
-Didn't see the Deso barstool thing until you mentioned it and I'm shocked that it happened. In anticipation of the NIL thing on July 1 most universities came up with a system to deal with it and to guide their student athletes. It sounds like Hopkins did not.
Barstool has a notorious reputation that is at strongly at odds with the politics of the Daniels administration
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/09 ... ports.html
They are set this fall to open a sports book in Maryland which means as a Barstool athlete Deso is promoting a gambling company.
https://www.gamingintelligence.com/fina ... ok-launch/
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:44 am Is this a serious post? Are you not aware of what happened with Scanlan in April?
He wants Scanlan only because Bill Cosby used up his eligibility at Temple
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hey, Fat Albert could face off!
Or maybe put him in the goal?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:44 am

Is this a serious post? Are you not aware of what happened with Scanlan in April?
I read the first sentence the way Old Hopper and his previous incarnation did - Anything related to lacrosse is connected to JHU, so there is never a need for a separate thread.

I read the second sentence as everyone, Hopkins included, would have been interested in Scanlan when he left Loyola. That does not mean that JHU would have actually offered him a spot (for a variety of reasons), but I recall posters here suggesting he can just walk down Charles Street. Now, not that it needs to be said, Scanlan post-SU is less attractive than Scanlan post-Loyola. I am no insider, but I would be shocked if JHU offers him a spot.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”