2021 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Switzerland

Re: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Post by Switzerland »

[/quote]

Toner or NSL?

NSL would be a great hire IMO. Toner would be as well; I just don't know why you would leave an associate head coach position at a Big Ten program though and I am an old D3 guy. A lot of respect for Gettysburg, but the BCS Division 1 schools are really separating themselves with facilities, support, etc. 10-20 years ago maybe, but now it is hard to leave the mountain top.
[/quote]

Toner has been at PSU for a while, but he is a D3 guy that played at Springfield, coached there, and was the head coach at Wheaton before doing the D1 route. Maybe the grind of working for someone else is wearing thin.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

What has NSL actually done that he would deserve the position at Gettysburg?
Toner has more then earned it.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Pete Toner is a tremendous pick. Just tremendous. He is a very good coach.
I would imagine that Gettysburg has their coach for the next 25 or so years.
A top level D3 HC job at a strong program, strong college is hard to beat from a lifestyle and family standpoint. He and his wife have three boys.
This should be just a great fit. Congratulations to all.
Midwestfan2018

Post by Midwestfan2018 »

As expected, Heidelberg job is closed.
https://www.bergathletics.com/news/2021 ... ogram.aspx
OAC ties, fits the mold of most of their other recents hires.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Muleski wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:39 pm Pete Toner is a tremendous pick. Just tremendous. He is a very good coach.
A top level D3 HC job at a strong program, strong college is hard to beat from a lifestyle and family standpoint. He and his wife have three boys.
I really want to be excited by this hire and I 85% am. Great recruiter with ties to the high level high school programs in the mid atlantic, head coaching experience, D3 experience,etc. Penn States defense has shown periods of excellence but has not been consistantly top tier in the country let alone the BIG. What can you tell me to push me the last 15%
GO BULLETS!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxdds wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:13 am
Muleski wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:39 pm Pete Toner is a tremendous pick. Just tremendous. He is a very good coach.
I really want to be excited by this hire and I 85% am. Great recruiter with ties to the high level high school programs in the mid atlantic, head coaching experience, D3 experience,etc. Penn States defense has shown periods of excellence but has not been consistantly top tier in the country let alone the BIG. What can you tell me to push me the last 15%
GO BULLETS!
That Gettysburg won’t be playing Maryland, Hopkins, or Yale anytime soon. There’s only a handful of coaches in the sport that consistently have game planed for that level of lacrosse. He’ll manage upper level D3 just fine.
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Laxdds wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:13 am I really want to be excited by this hire and I 85% am. Great recruiter with ties to the high level high school programs in the mid atlantic, head coaching experience, D3 experience,etc. Penn States defense has shown periods of excellence but has not been consistantly top tier in the country let alone the BIG. What can you tell me to push me the last 15%
GO BULLETS!
Full disclosure. I'm a bit biased. I first met him when he was in high school. I tried to convince him to look at the NESCAC, but even then, he knew he wanted to coach in college, and he headed to Springfield to play for Keith Bugbee. BTW, very, very close friend of the Myers brothers. He then was a grad assistant, and an assistant for Bugbee. Has his MS from Springfield. As I recall, he was at Wheaton for a couple of years and completely turned things around. Then to Bryant for the opportunity to work under Mike Pressler {who also has a D3 background...people forget} as his DC. Obviously he's been at PSU since, tapped by Tambroni to be his DC form the start.

My strong impression is that he's an outstanding PERSON. A great guy. All that I have ever heard. I suspect that he will construct a very strong D3 staff. I have no doubt that he and his team will become exceptional recruiters at this level. This is not the BIG, or a fully funded D1 program. You need to fish in different ponds, and I would bet that Pete and his staff will be familiar with all of them. Hank is a GREAT guy, but in recent years, it has not been easy to recruit to play for a guy older than your grandfather.

I bet you'll see Toner and team really pulling great kids from the Mid-Atlantic through New England and NYS in particular. PA.

I have been a huge fan of Jon Thomson's since he was a prep school kid, as well. When JT moved form being the OC and recruiting coach at Brown into the NESCAC, his list and contacts remained the same. As a result he always recruited in that same pond and had a compelling pitch to D1 talent as to why the NESCAC was a tremendous opportunity. I know a number of guys who played on Hank's best teams. Guys who easily could have played on good D1 teams. And NONE of them would pass up the opportunity again to attend Gettysburg and be part of it all.

Lastly, as mentioned a BIG part of this kind of move is how it works for your family. Three young boys. The keys to the field house at Gettysburg to make it your own playground. That stuff can be very important. The right D3 program, and "job" can be a real professional challenge, very rewarding and can be great for your marriage and family. There are good reasons awhu guys like Berkman, Hank, John Raba, and others have never answered the many calls and offers to move to the D1 ranks.

"Success" as part of a program like PSU, even the position groups that you coach and coordinate and RUNNING a D3 program are, IMO, very different things. I feel that many of the best DC's would fall flat on their faces if they gave being a HC....RUNNING a program...a shot. And I fell like many very successful D3 HC's would likewise not be able to thrive as a top level coordinator in D1. Same sport. Very different roles.

I feel strongly that Toner will be a big success. Gut reaction. Gettysburg did not screw around with this one, at all. This hire impresses me. A lot. Just one guy's opinion. I do have a bit of experience. I have served on about 15 search committees at four schools, and chaired about half of them. I think they went about this the right way and got the result they wanted.

Will be interesting when they are all filled to see how the coaching lineups at Amherst, Bowdoin, Denison, and GB compare. GB had to reach high, and I would bet, pay VERY well. As of now, I'm a bit underwhelmed with Bowdoin. However, their AD consistently disappoints me. Not that I root for them. I just feel that the NESCAC is better with a very strong Bowdoin in every sport. They aren't these days. It's been a huge downward swing. Amherst has a chance to send a message....one way or another. I hope they fix things. Their president has been in the chair for 10 years and is 70. Time for her to step aside, IMO.

Congrats to Gettysburg. Again, just my $.02.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Muleski - very good points throughout.
I agree 100% that the quality of life coaching in the right D3 program can be extremely rewarding, and if this is the right time and place for that move, then thumbs up to Toner and G-burg for getting it right. I can still picture my own kids jumping on the pole vault pits in the fieldhouse, and you are dead on about the value of having that kind of environment for your family.

Whenever a D1 guy makes this move, my question is always, "Why now? Why not 6-7 years ago once you'd earned your D1 stripes?", and you shed some light on that. Sometimes you just wait on the perfect storm, and no doubt Gettysburg is in that top percentage of places where it can all work.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

I officially nominate Muleski for FanLax forums MVP 2021. Thank you for sharing.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:15 am
Whenever a D1 guy makes this move, my question is always, "Why now? Why not 6-7 years ago once you'd earned your D1 stripes?", and you shed some light on that. Sometimes you just wait on the perfect storm, and no doubt Gettysburg is in that top percentage of places where it can all work.
I’m seeing this in a lot of sports right now. COVID / work from home / shortened season / no D1 in person recruiting last summer has lead to a lot of coaches realizing what they’d been missing at home.

It’s lead a lot of D3 coaches leave the game and a lot of D1 guys to re-think the benefits of the D3 lifestyle.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

All very good stuff..Sounds like Gettysburg made a great decision I am pumped for the spring!!
Welcome to Gettysburg Coach Toner!
GO BULLETS
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Muleski wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:34 am
I feel strongly that Toner will be a big success. Gut reaction. Gettysburg did not screw around with this one, at all. This hire impresses me. A lot.
And is it crazy to think he might have been their Silver Medal... :shock:?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Switzerland wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:20 pm
I feel strongly that Toner will be a big success. Gut reaction. Gettysburg did not screw around with this one, at all. This hire impresses me. A lot.
I think you are correct
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

I don’t think it’s crazy at all. It is a VERY special job/career move. They do not open often. Over 35 years in this case. But….there are a multitude of factors involved in having it be the right fit for your candidate.

In my experience, a thorough committee has normally got it whittled down to 3 or so coaches, all a bit different, all of whom could be a great fit.

And sometimes, the first/top choice can’t make it work. For example, the opportunity might be THE BEST for the coach and particularly in the opinion of his spouse. BUT, I have seen a wife kill more deals than you can imagine. Moving can really be overthought.

I recall having dinner with a coach and his wife. She starts to tear up, after saying how great everybody has been and what a great opportunity for her husband.

THEN, out comes the fact that it’s too far from her parents, her sisters. She loves the kids school and they can walk to school. Then we hear about summer day camp. And babysitters. Goes on to where she grocery shops. Their favorite pizza shop. The dry cleaner, HER HAIR SALON.

LET ALONE HER WONDERFUL FRIEND GROUP, AND HER GYM AND YOGA CLASS. Yep.

Yes, relocating involves a lot. Believe it or not, it can be a great family adventure. It can be awesome. But often Mrs. Coach can just kill the deal.

Now if you are moving “home” to gramma, sisters, your kids’ cousins, etc., that spouse is begging her husband to make the deal.

It sure is not just about the “quality” of the program and the income. Important? Sure. But many factors. Right now, the real estate market can terrify a spouse.

For many reasons, sometimes the top choice can’t pull the trigger if it gets that far.

Toner is a great hire. I’m thinking that they had a really good group of finalists. It is a great job. Best of luck to all!
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Muleski wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:35 pm

I don’t think it’s crazy at all. It is a VERY special job/career move. They do not open often. Over 35 years in this case. But….there are a multitude of factors involved in having it be the right fit for your candidate.

In my experience, a thorough committee has normally got it whittled down to 3 or so coaches, all a bit different, all of whom could be a great fit.

And sometimes, the first/top choice can’t make it work. For example, the opportunity might be THE BEST for the coach and particularly in the opinion of his spouse. BUT, I have seen a wife kill more deals than you can imagine. Moving can really be overthought.

I recall having dinner with a coach and his wife. She starts to tear up, after saying how great everybody has been and what a great opportunity for her husband.

THEN, out comes the fact that it’s too far from her parents, her sisters. She loves the kids school and they can walk to school. Then we hear about summer day camp. And babysitters. Goes on to where she grocery shops. Their favorite pizza shop. The dry cleaner, HER HAIR SALON.

LET ALONE HER WONDERFUL FRIEND GROUP, AND HER GYM AND YOGA CLASS. Yep.

Yes, relocating involves a lot. Believe it or not, it can be a great family adventure. It can be awesome. But often Mrs. Coach can just kill the deal.

Now if you are moving “home” to gramma, sisters, your kids’ cousins, etc., that spouse is begging her husband to make the deal.

It sure is not just about the “quality” of the program and the income. Important? Sure. But many factors. Right now, the real estate market can terrify a spouse.

For many reasons, sometimes the top choice can’t pull the trigger if it gets that far.

Toner is a great hire. I’m thinking that they had a really good group of finalists. It is a great job. Best of luck to all!
I'm sure when Mr and Mrs. Coach are discussing an oppourtunity in private, Mrs. Coach, who is most times running the household, holds the trump card.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

I get all of that an know what the spouses’ impact can have on the relocation aspect. My comment was more just about it can be crazy it can work where a guy would probably could be considered the top choice didn’t get the offer, but takes the job because the school’s top choice balked, for whatever reason.

As a sidebar, if NSL was the top choice at G’burg turned it down, and doesn’t take over at Denison, if he is offered… what is he waiting for…?!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

It’ll be interesting to see if Toner brings some members of the PSU staff with him, provided they don’t get elevated. Their DOLO Mendoza has high level D3 coaching experience at Amherst and was a finalist for the WAC HC job. Their volunteer Donley was formerly an assistant at Dickinson. Or will he keep DiBartolo? Would DiBartolo even want to stay? I imagine he was waiting to try and get this job, now that he didn’t, would he even want to stay. I get that Gettysburg likes him a lot, but he’s got to be thinking “apparently they don’t like me that much”.

There’s also the allure getting a young recent grad PLL guy in the mix. Like O’Keefe.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

River Donkey wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:57 pm Drew has their coach.
https://www.drewrangers.com/news/2021/7 ... coach.aspx
"In 2012, Leidl co-authored the book Team Turnarounds: A Playbook for Transforming Underperforming Teams."

Well, if he wrote the book ...
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”