Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2022

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:31 pm We saw glimpses of it this year when 17,21,32, and 57 were on the field....but then I wondered if the coaches were already looking ahead to next year to get 2022 players game reps....tough balance all around, not blaming anyone.
I sometimes thought that 6 was being force fed, but every time I had that thought, he'd make a big play & score. So it is with plebes.

I felt the offense moved the ball best when 21 was on the field, working at or behind GLE. If he can move between x & the lefty finisher spot, I could see an attack unit of 21, 32, 6, with 6 working from x when 21 is not. 32 seems most effective from in front.
old salt

Post by old salt »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 pm This will be Coach Joe Amplo's third overall, and second full season in Annapolis. With his system being more in-place, will 2022 be the year he leads Navy to their first NCAA Tournament appearance under him?
I'm dubious about Navy's & Army's chances of making the NCAA tourney over the next 3 seasons until the covid 5th season eligible players pass through. Loyola & Lehigh were bolstered by 5th year players this season & appear to be extending that to next season. BU had one 5th year pole, will they do more ? Colgate finished this season strong & returns almost everyone. Lafayette was young, promising & is sure to improve. HC will improve under JL. Bucknell will bounce back. Army will be Army, again.

Beyond the PL, teams from other conferences are loading up on 5th year transfers & will scarf up the at large bids. It''s always a stretch for a PL team to get an at large bid. The Ivies will be back too.

Navy has to do a massive reload on defense. Only 1 "starter" returns. There are 5 other poles & 2 shorties who've had meaningful game experience who will need to step up. There will be an inexperienced goalie.

I'm cautiously optimistic but I don't want to set unreasonable expectations. Two fractured disjointed seasons for this coaching staff don't add up to even one normal season.
lorin

Post by lorin »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:29 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 pm This will be Coach Joe Amplo's third overall, and second full season in Annapolis. With his system being more in-place, will 2022 be the year he leads Navy to their first NCAA Tournament appearance under him?
I'm dubious about Navy's & Army's chances of making the NCAA tourney over the next 3 seasons until the covid 5th season eligible players pass through. Loyola & Lehigh were bolstered by 5th year players this season & appear to be extending that to next season. BU had one 5th year pole, will they do more ? Colgate finished this season strong & returns almost everyone. Lafayette was young, promising & is sure to improve. HC will improve under JL. Bucknell will bounce back. Army will be Army, again.

Beyond the PL, teams from other conferences are loading up on 5th year transfers & will scarf up the at large bids. It''s always a stretch for a PL team to get an at large bid. The Ivies will be back too.

Navy has to do a massive reload on defense. Only 1 "starter" returns. There are 5 other poles & 2 shorties who've had meaningful game experience who will need to step up. There will be an inexperienced goalie.

I'm cautiously optimistic but I don't want to set unreasonable expectations. Two fractured disjointed seasons for this coaching staff don't add up to even one normal season.
Sometimes in battle reinforcement don't show up. Fight with who you have.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Recruiting trail
ESPNU at noon Naptown Challenge championship
So DC Express plays is in the 2022 championship game. Annapolis Hawks which will have D. Pietramala, Dwan and several guys who are committed to Navy
old salt

Post by old salt »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:48 am Recruiting trail
ESPNU at noon Naptown Challenge championship
So DC Express plays is in the 2022 championship game. Annapolis Hawks which will have D. Pietramala, Dwan and several guys who are committed to Navy
still streamable @ now

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/ ... 13e56dd20f
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

You got your first ‘23 commit

Alec Gregorek ‘23, A/M, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:46 am You got your first ‘23 commit

Alec Gregorek ‘23, A/M, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.)
Nice addition, thanks for posting Area!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Another commit rising junior midfielder Josh Nagy from Calvert Hall. Seem he is the third. Missed the 2nd one
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Excited to see what comes of the team this season.

Some holes to fill....to name a handful: https://navysports.com/news/2021/5/13/m ... nners.aspx

Who will be the Captains this season? I’ll take a stab at it and pick 21 and 32.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

63 midshipmen. Wow.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:41 pm 63 midshipmen. Wow.
I don't think that is uncommon ....especially at an SA & it is actually less than last year's final roster. Army is even higher. UNC was mid 50's last year.
~Livy

Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:24 am
Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:41 pm 63 midshipmen. Wow.
I don't think that is uncommon ....especially at an SA & it is actually less than last year's final roster. Army is even higher. UNC was mid 50's last year.
Don’t really care what they did last year. Don’t care what army did. Don’t care what UNC did.

Navy does not need 63 people on their lacrosse roster. Will not help their W/L. Will not help them any more to meet their mission. Obviously does not help fiscally.

I am sure the bench riders do not mind. Get to practice their sport. Get T tables. Get early registration. Get to miss lots of evening formations.

And don’t pull the “they need them because of how many drop out”. Those days are long gone.

Navy’s depth is not elite. It is average in ability at best. They don’t need so many players.
old salt

Post by old salt »

If my memory is accurate, I believe Coach Amplo said he would not cut anyone who was recruited, so long as they put forth their best effort.

Based on a quick scan of the roster, it appears that all 44 potential returnees from last year are still on the roster.
In past seasons, several players migrated to the club team after fallball started. That may still happen as the season progresses.

Another factor -- the scout team is held in high regard, both within the team & within the Brigade.
Also noteworthy is the low attrition due to academics or dropping out before postgrad service becomes mandatory.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:29 am If my memory is accurate, I believe Coach Amplo said he would not cut anyone who was recruited, so long as they put forth their best effort.

Based on a quick scan of the roster, it appears that all 44 potential returnees from last year are still on the roster.
In past seasons, several players migrated to the club team after fallball started. That may still happen as the season progresses.

Another factor -- the scout team is held in high regard, both within the team & within the Brigade.
Also noteworthy is the low attrition due to academics or dropping out before postgrad service becomes mandatory.
The bolded is important and really, 'what it's all about' in playing ball...have fun, build relationships, earn regard...and if they're all truly giving 'best effort' good on Amplo for keeping that commitment.

That said, do I understand correctly that they're adding 19 freshmen?? 44 returnees plus 19?
63 is a very, very big number of players to manage with any sort of individual attention.
That "scout team" is huge...One would think the bottom 15-20 might be encouraged to play club ball.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:27 am
old salt wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:29 am If my memory is accurate, I believe Coach Amplo said he would not cut anyone who was recruited, so long as they put forth their best effort.

The bolded is important and really, 'what it's all about' in playing ball...have fun, build relationships, earn regard...and if they're all truly giving 'best effort' good on Amplo for keeping that commitment.

That said, do I understand correctly that they're adding 19 freshmen?? 44 returnees plus 19?
63 is a very, very big number of players to manage with any sort of individual attention.
That "scout team" is huge...One would think the bottom 15-20 might be encouraged to play club ball.
I think the only issue is if you start having a greater number of fall outs because those spots could be taken up by many fine non athletes.

I’m sure the crippled congressman who embellishes like the truth ain’t no thang and really loves them ho’s is already including the egregious number on the lacrosse roster as the reason he didn’t get accepted a long time ago in his Wikipedia page .
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not going to claim I have all the answers, but there is far more going on than carrying a dozen extra players, than they did 15 years ago.

Maybe Dip Dunk should go back through the years this is not a new thing. in 2010 they were in the low 60s, even in 2005 50.....so they carry an extra dozen, big deal. they all do not travel, the old days of sending guys out with injury, separated shoulders, concussions protocol, etc. Heavily respected scout team, attrition, and yes (only a handful of years ago) at least half a dozen bounced. The class of 20' ended up with only 5 or 6 lax players out of 15 or so recruits.

Additionally, the new staff are respecting the recruits of the last staff. Also, a void in interest over the last 10 years which did not support NAAA and FONL. It is not just one thing,
~Livy

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:52 am Not going to claim I have all the answers, but there is far more going on than carrying a dozen extra players, than they did 15 years ago.

Maybe Dip Dunk should go back through the years this is not a new thing. in 2010 they were in the low 60s, even in 2005 50.....so they carry an extra dozen, big deal. they all do not travel, the old days of sending guys out with injury, separated shoulders, concussions protocol, etc. Heavily respected scout team, attrition, and yes (only a handful of years ago) at least half a dozen bounced. The class of 20' ended up with only 5 or 6 lax players out of 15 or so recruits.

Additionally, the new staff are respecting the recruits of the last staff. Also, a void in interest over the last 10 years which did not support NAAA and FONL. It is not just one thing,
Less about Amplo to me than is this an appropriate use of limited vacancies to the academy. Is the marginal ten guys better than the last ten non athletes not accepted and does that really make sense despite some argument for the need for depth like this.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:57 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:52 am Not going to claim I have all the answers, but there is far more going on than carrying a dozen extra players, than they did 15 years ago.

Less about Amplo to me than is this an appropriate use of limited vacancies to the academy. Is the marginal ten guys better than the last ten non athletes not accepted and does that really make sense despite some argument for the need for depth like this.
Those are all scenarios only insiders with brass would be privy too, but I am sure it helps balance the slow recruiting on the streets in to the military. My nephew is an AF recruiter in Florida, in short.....he said it is tough out there, very tough. We could argue the same thing (roster size) for football. Who in the hell needs +110 players, and over 20+ coaches for a fb team that runs the same damned schemes over the past 20 years.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”