Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by DMac »

Gonna go with a couple of pizzas. Shrimp (cooked), eggs (about 5), milk, scallion, garlic, tomatoes, fresh parsley, onion, salt, pepper, cajun, bunch of shredded sharp cheddar. Scramble all that up with the shrimp in it and cook to about three quarters done. Put that on the dough, cover it with mozzarella and some tomato slices, put it in the oven. Pretty tasty stuff.
If you have an Aldi by you try their pizza dough, it's really good stuff. Use half at a time, fits perfectly in 12" cast iron pan. Have gotten fairly good at tossing the dough and the whole works, kinda fun.
Probably make just regular ol' mushroom (got some fresh shrooms) pizza for the second one.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:42 am Gonna go with a couple of pizzas. Shrimp (cooked), eggs (about 5), milk, scallion, garlic, tomatoes, fresh parsley, onion, salt, pepper, cajun, bunch of shredded sharp cheddar. Scramble all that up with the shrimp in it and cook to about three quarters done. Put that on the dough, cover it with mozzarella and some tomato slices, put it in the oven. Pretty tasty stuff.
If you have an Aldi by you try their pizza dough, it's really good stuff. Use half at a time, fits perfectly in 12" cast iron pan. Have gotten fairly good at tossing the dough and the whole works, kinda fun.
Probably make just regular ol' mushroom (got some fresh shrooms) pizza for the second one.
Boston Butt in the slow cooker, making some quest w spinach in it, making pigs in a blanket with crescent rolls and like 7 types of salami/pepperoni
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice. Just had some pigs in a basket yesterday during the lax game, can't go wrong with those.
Those crescent rolls are pretty good, quick, and easy. If you've never seen this, give it a try,
couldn't be much easier and those are mighty tasty. I go with a little less sugar and that's a
bit too much butter on top but it's all good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFc0aYGtk-c&t=74s
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just forwarded to me wife who’s the recipe, baking, sweets person. That’s our roles, she does dessert and long form meals with recipes and planning like Meatloaf or Lasagna where we can bank leftovers or an extra tray for a period. I do the McGuyver stuff where it’s like “ok I’ve got sausage, eggplant, onion and carrots. Perfect, get me the spice rack and get the f out of the way.” Basically years of trial and error as a kid after my parents split up. Mom was working and then night grad school in Ithaca (Cornell has this Labor Relations graduate program that’s pretty good and she was in HR management for the state) so for three years of middle/high school dinners were about 1/3 success 2/3 “holy crap thank god the house didn’t burn down with your meal”.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Homemade pizzas here as well.

I use to make my own dough or buy the stuff ready to knead and toss. We now use Naan bread, our favorite is the garlic Naan. Makes a perfect single serving. Our favorite, is white pizza, with just olive oil, fresh mozz. and a couple dollop or two of ricotta. I also love to add mushrooms, red onion, and those colorful mini-sweet peppers.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:07 pm Just forwarded to me wife who’s the recipe, baking, sweets person. That’s our roles, she does dessert and long form meals with recipes and planning like Meatloaf or Lasagna where we can bank leftovers or an extra tray for a period. I do the McGuyver stuff where it’s like “ok I’ve got sausage, eggplant, onion and carrots. Perfect, get me the spice rack and get the f out of the way.”
Yup, baking's a science and cooking's an art. I think across the board men are better cooks than women as they much more cook by recipe whereas it's anything goes with men, they're more imaginative/creative.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Shrimp pizza might be in the running for best pizza ever made.
Damn, there's an orgy going on on my tongue.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So full...
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:57 pm So full...
...from the Binghamton specialty of roast bone marrow with Spiedie sauce.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:41 pm
I've become such a fat man.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:41 pm
By the way, I think they call that the Bulimia special. A favorite of aspiring magazine models and rich girls in the northeast.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Aunt Jemima Just Got a New Name and Logo
THE RELAUNCH COMES AFTER A DECISION WAS MADE IN JUNE TO DROP THE RACIALLY OFFENSIVE BRANDING.

https://bestlifeonline.com/aunt-jemima- ... logo-news/

Throughout 2020, many companies started reassessing their identities and practices as a result of the Black Lives Matter movement. For some, that included finally addressing the racially insensitive elements in their brand names or logos that have been used for decades or even centuries. Now, almost eight months after plans for a brand overhaul were announced, Quaker Oats is revealing a new name and logo for their famous Aunt Jemima line of breakfast products after more than 130 years.

Uncle Ben's and others to follow.

I imagine those bottles of Auntie J will wind up as collector's items soon.

Anybody remember this:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

I thought they were going to change the name to Moland Springs pancake mix.
ardilla secreta

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:08 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:40 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:28 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:38 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:12 pm :lol: Bacon makes everything taste better. ;)
Hell yeah!

I went to this Red event hosted by Tom Colicchio (from one of the chef shows and owner of a number of restaurants) and Jess Jackson of Kendall Jackson at a place in the Meatpacking district called Craft (don’t get the bone marrow that stuff is nasty). Forget how awesome the dessert of red hot flavored/infused ice cream on red velvet cake and bourbon for dessert or the dope dinner, the pre meal happy hour or whatever they called it had a bunch of apps including kobe burgers but had three types of flavored bacon, one of which was bourbon flavored bacon. They also had a bacon infused bourbon. I to this day don’t know which one was between the B-Bacon or the B-Bourbon.
Bacon tastes great, but so does lamb. Lamb isn’t better when it tastes like bacon. Let great ingredients speak for themselves.

Roast bone marrow typically served with grilled bread and in a best case scenario with a dressed parsley salad to counter-react the richness is one of the best dishes ever. For a guy that likes bacon and steaks it’s odd that you don’t fawn over bone marrow.

Craft is a superb and unique restaurant.
I tried the bone marrow there (Craftsteak) once, served in bond cut in half on rock salt. Never, ever, ever again. Ooh that was gross son!
I am headed here when COVID clears..... Already have an invitation from friends of Daniel Boulud. My wife’s friend is married to a guy that runs a culinary school in Manhattan and he is friends with Daniel. Our goal is to get there when this COVID thing passes to celebrate. We are going to have the pressed duck! MAGA!!

Any of the Boulud restaurants are a great experience. Daniel offers their highest in service with all the attention, but I prefer Cafe Boulud. Equally superior production with less show and fuss. I used to go to Cafe Boulud on occasion when visiting with a friend who is a highly regarded NY chef. The best was an evening when the kitchen sent out (gratis) a risotto dish with freshly shaved white Piemontese truffles. When the server raised the lid the whole room became perfumed and heads turned.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:10 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:08 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:40 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:28 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:38 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:12 pm :lol: Bacon makes everything taste better. ;)
Hell yeah!

I went to this Red event hosted by Tom Colicchio (from one of the chef shows and owner of a number of restaurants) and Jess Jackson of Kendall Jackson at a place in the Meatpacking district called Craft (don’t get the bone marrow that stuff is nasty). Forget how awesome the dessert of red hot flavored/infused ice cream on red velvet cake and bourbon for dessert or the dope dinner, the pre meal happy hour or whatever they called it had a bunch of apps including kobe burgers but had three types of flavored bacon, one of which was bourbon flavored bacon. They also had a bacon infused bourbon. I to this day don’t know which one was between the B-Bacon or the B-Bourbon.
Bacon tastes great, but so does lamb. Lamb isn’t better when it tastes like bacon. Let great ingredients speak for themselves.

Roast bone marrow typically served with grilled bread and in a best case scenario with a dressed parsley salad to counter-react the richness is one of the best dishes ever. For a guy that likes bacon and steaks it’s odd that you don’t fawn over bone marrow.

Craft is a superb and unique restaurant.
I tried the bone marrow there (Craftsteak) once, served in bond cut in half on rock salt. Never, ever, ever again. Ooh that was gross son!
I am headed here when COVID clears..... Already have an invitation from friends of Daniel Boulud. My wife’s friend is married to a guy that runs a culinary school in Manhattan and he is friends with Daniel. Our goal is to get there when this COVID thing passes to celebrate. We are going to have the pressed duck! MAGA!!

Any of the Boulud restaurants are a great experience. Daniel offers their highest in service with all the attention, but I prefer Cafe Boulud. Equally superior production with less show and fuss. I used to go to Cafe Boulud on occasion when visiting with a friend who is a highly regarded NY chef. The best was an evening when the kitchen sent out (gratis) a risotto dish with freshly shaved white Piemontese truffles. When the server raised the lid the whole room became perfumed and heads turned.
That’s good livin’! I am looking forward to it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

made a terrific apple crisp & had a good sized chunk for brekkie this morning ~ ah, there's nothing like a home baked pie

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Alright, fellas, someone's got to give this a try (requires as minimal effort as could be asked for) and let me know what they think. Buddy told me about baking eggs yesterday, hadn't ever heard of such a thing. Put an egg (or eggs) in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes (cupcake tin works pretty good for this). Comes out like a hard boiled egg (can't call it a hard boiled egg though cuz it aint boiled). Tastes pretty much the same as hard boiled but I think better, and the real difference is the texture. Baking it v boiling it dries the egg out a bit which gives it a different chew, almost like a soft meat. Baked two of them, both came out cracked so I guess there's no fear of the thing exploding (like a baked potato). Supposed to be much easier to peel...one was, one wasn't but I think across the board the baked ones are going to be easier to peel...less sticking of the shell. I will definitely do this again.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

watching the NCAA basketball and made myself a milk shake to celebrate the games:

1/2 cup of sesame paste
3/4 cup milk
cup of vanilla yogurt
3 t spoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of coco flakes

put it all into your blender and it'll do the work to make it a tasty delight :)

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

made myself a navy bean pie ~ very tasty and goes very well with your morning coffee:

I use sour or heavy cream in lieu of egg both of which work just as well

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”