Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NYterp09

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by NYterp09 »

jerseyjames wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:06 pm Dom, Petro, Desko all fired over performance in the last 5 years and you're saying its not a business...

I wasn't really equating business to making money, more to the fact that either you can help me win or you can't; this isn't rainbows and sunshine the best kids play and these coaches want to win NC's so if going to the portal for an upgrade is gonna help them do that then the hell with the kids who are in their programs and not up to standards or preforming and if those kids aren't happy with that then hey they can transfer too. These coaches wouldn't be doing their jobs if they aren't looking at every possible way to get better...
Everyone who’s not a pretentious A-hole knew what you meant when you said “lacrosse is a business”
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:53 pm Not going to applaud Maryland or Tillman for going into the portal once again to grab talent that displaces his own. Does he lack patience developing all those 4-5 star classes that Maryland annually gathers.. God forbid he tries to win a chip in 2022 without developed players from other teams . Same goes for ND who has a chance and Rutgers who doesn't.

Have heard strange rationale by some that Maryland lost young talented players when they brought in transfers so needed to replace the departed with more transfers or they need transfers to replace departing players who were transfers.

21 UM team was the greatest in 25 years according to some yet lost to 4 loss UVA . Tillman must figure it has to be the greatest in 26 years
What an absolute garbage take. Acting like Maryland stacks it’s roster from the portal year in and year out…the only starter (I’m absolutely not counting Wis’s redshirt year at cuse as part of this discussion) from the portal on the 2021 team was Grill, and he got SIGNIFICANTLY better as a Terp (almost as if Tillman knows a thing or two about developing players). Yes, UMD is bringing in a haul this year and you’re obviously salty about it but gtfoh acting like Tillman hasn’t made it to 8 of the last 10 memorial days without starting lineups full of home grown players.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:50 pm They get creative w their packages it doesn’t make money. A lot of the alums from the 80s and 90s don’t give so that isn’t a path. Football brings in a lot more revenue and spends less even with a roster of 90-95 kids. In fact I’ve heard the school is going to look to bring in more full payers in lacrosse at the expense of talent so there’s your answer for the last 10-20yrs. We won’t be getting many or any Canadians, can Hancock is gone partly because his brother graduated and it was expensive. Part of not keeping Justin Scott was fin aid related.

And I can’t believe you’d equate Hobart and Maryland. You guys had no choice but to join the big ten because Debbie Yow wrecked your finances and we are shrinking our overall enrollment from 2,300-2,400 back to like 2,000 which I’d imagine is a bit less than one undergraduate class at UMD or Rutgers meaning the tuition payers is a insignificant drop in the bucket.

The idea that D1 lacrosse is a business proposition is just specious and laughable. Just another made up statement by a Rutgers fan(atic) to justify whatever they want it to. (Not you but the person who made the original comment I was responding to but it isn’t lost on me that folks from the two Big Ten schools w the worst wrecked finances are selling this story)
All non-revenue sports are only non-revenue for the athletic department. Moreover, try recruiting any students...forget about athletes...to colleges and universities with no athletic programs. Athletics are part of the social fabric of every university. Even for elite academic students, they benefit socially from sporting events. Even international students coming from countries where sports are completely detached from school, they come to the US and have a blast going to sporting events. Maryland could shutter all non-revenue sports and bring in an equivalent number of students, 6 Saturdays in the fall and 18 basketball games in the winter don't provide a lot cultural cohesion around campus in College Park.
Yeh most of the kids who go to ivies, NYU, MIT & CalTech go for the weekend athletics.

Way more than half the UGA fans didn’t even go to the school. Harvey Updike didn’t go to Alabama. What does the big ten do to create a myopic fantasy land inside the heads of their fans?

BTW my wife’s cousin went to UMD and maybe went to ten football and BB games in his time there but I know he watches plenty of college a d pro sports. Played base ball at John Carroll I’m HS and was reasonably good. I lived in DC and knew plenty of UMD grads who didn’t go there for the athletics. Most of the international kids at AU never went to a sporting event on campus. Pure fantasy.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jerseyjames wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:06 pm Dom, Petro, Desko all fired over performance in the last 5 years and you're saying its not a business...

I wasn't really equating business to making money, more to the fact that either you can help me win or you can't; this isn't rainbows and sunshine the best kids play and these coaches want to win NC's so if going to the portal for an upgrade is gonna help them do that then the hell with the kids who are in their programs and not up to standards or preforming and if those kids aren't happy with that then hey they can transfer too. These coaches wouldn't be doing their jobs if they aren't looking at every possible way to get better...
People get fired from non profits and from government jobs for performance every day. I’m starting to wonder if the Big Ten schools should have non profit status..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NYterp09 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:19 am

Everyone who’s not a pretentious A-hole knew what you meant when you said “lacrosse is a business”
Every big ten fan on these boards is a moron...you’re homeboy just started his reply with a passive aggressive comment and then claimed the opposite. Are these provided to UMD fans who sign up for FanLax?

https://www.topsmagic.com/product_info. ... 3b-p-40879
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NYterp09 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:36 am
stupefied wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:53 pm Not going to applaud Maryland or Tillman for going into the portal once again to grab talent that displaces his own. Does he lack patience developing all those 4-5 star classes that Maryland annually gathers.. God forbid he tries to win a chip in 2022 without developed players from other teams . Same goes for ND who has a chance and Rutgers who doesn't.

Have heard strange rationale by some that Maryland lost young talented players when they brought in transfers so needed to replace the departed with more transfers or they need transfers to replace departing players who were transfers.

21 UM team was the greatest in 25 years according to some yet lost to 4 loss UVA . Tillman must figure it has to be the greatest in 26 years
What an absolute garbage take. Acting like Maryland stacks it’s roster from the portal year in and year out…the only starter (I’m absolutely not counting Wis’s redshirt year at cuse as part of this discussion) from the portal on the 2021 team was Grill, and he got SIGNIFICANTLY better as a Terp (almost as if Tillman knows a thing or two about developing players). Yes, UMD is bringing in a haul this year and you’re obviously salty about it but gtfoh acting like Tillman hasn’t made it to 8 of the last 10 memorial days without starting lineups full of home grown players.
Does the 09 represent your age?
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:19 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:57 pm
Gatsby wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:35 pm
I'm not a Terp fan but before the game, I did see Md as a strong favorite, as I'm sure most people did, considering how they had just blown out Duke impressively and had all-world Bernhardt. Also, I'm very impressed with Tillman and his classiness.
Fair enough. I just know that between me and my friends, we all wished not to play Virginia for a bunch of reasons. One, their offense is lethal. Two their FOGO is ridiculous, giving more possessions to that lethal offense. And three, they have a great goalie. Literally wished to play any other team lol. Tiffany has built an absolute monster there.
Did you watch Lasalla in round 1?
I did. Following Greg Gurenlian on twitter has taught me one thing - that FOGO is a lot about matchups. And as he noted, LaSalla's style is the kind that would give the Terps FOGOs problems.

https://twitter.com/GregBeast32/status/ ... 23136?s=20

And he did. LaSalla struggled against Syracuse, too, but despite those games...he was a 62.4% guy in 2021. When's the last time Maryland had a guy like that?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PulpExposure wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:35 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:19 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:57 pm
Gatsby wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:35 pm
I'm not a Terp fan but before the game, I did see Md as a strong favorite, as I'm sure most people did, considering how they had just blown out Duke impressively and had all-world Bernhardt. Also, I'm very impressed with Tillman and his classiness.
Fair enough. I just know that between me and my friends, we all wished not to play Virginia for a bunch of reasons. One, their offense is lethal. Two their FOGO is ridiculous, giving more possessions to that lethal offense. And three, they have a great goalie. Literally wished to play any other team lol. Tiffany has built an absolute monster there.
Did you watch Lasalla in round 1?
I did. Following Greg Gurenlian on twitter has taught me one thing - that FOGO is a lot about matchups. And as he noted, LaSalla's style is the kind that would give the Terps FOGOs problems.

https://twitter.com/GregBeast32/status/ ... 23136?s=20

And he did. LaSalla struggled against Syracuse, too, but despite those games...he was a 62.4% guy in 2021. When's the last time Maryland had a guy like that?
I agree just not sure I’d use “their FOGO is ridiculous” compared w Baptiste, Irelan, Mazza and Alex Smith (plus GG himself). Felt like hyperbole a bit is all.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

The main reason Maryland actually won a National Championship is because 5th year John Garino dominated, and word was Tilman didn't even want him to come back for that 5th year. If it wasn't for Garino their last natty would still be 1974.

Every coach is looking at the portal to get better especially with the extra covid year. You can't blame a kid either for trying to upgrade academically for grad school or just a better team. Players on a top forty team want to play for a top fifteen team and players on a top fifteen want to play for a top five. I believe almost every player I have known would have taken a 5th year of grad school at a different place if it was an upgrade. The portal will calm down dramatically once the covid years are done. I also feel that if you play four years for the school that recruited you then you have lived up to your end of the deal and your coach should be supportive of your desire for a 5th year somewhere, and most are.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:15 am The main reason Maryland actually won a National Championship is because 5th year John Garino dominated, and word was Tilman didn't even want him to come back for that 5th year. If it wasn't for Garino their last natty would still be 1974.

Every coach is looking at the portal to get better especially with the extra covid year. You can't blame a kid either for trying to upgrade academically for grad school or just a better team. Players on a top forty team want to play for a top fifteen team and players on a top fifteen want to play for a top five. I believe almost every player I have known would have taken a 5th year of grad school at a different place if it was an upgrade. The portal will calm down dramatically once the covid years are done. I also feel that if you play four years for the school that recruited you then you have lived up to your end of the deal and your coach should be supportive of your desire for a 5th year somewhere, and most are.
Just a question of long term impact or cost which we wont know for liek 3-6yrs from now
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 am
Yeh most of the kids who go to ivies, NYU, MIT & CalTech go for the weekend athletics.

Way more than half the UGA fans didn’t even go to the school. Harvey Updike didn’t go to Alabama. What does the big ten do to create a myopic fantasy land inside the heads of their fans?

BTW my wife’s cousin went to UMD and maybe went to ten football and BB games in his time there but I know he watches plenty of college a d pro sports. Played base ball at John Carroll I’m HS and was reasonably good. I lived in DC and knew plenty of UMD grads who didn’t go there for the athletics. Most of the international kids at AU never went to a sporting event on campus. Pure fantasy.
And yet, all of those elite academic schools offer sports. Some even take those sports pretty seriously.

Oscar the Grouch of FanLax, I get that you're always the smartest guy on the board on every topic, but I do wonder if you've actually ever had any experience recruiting students to a school. While your anecdotal evidence from your wife's cousin is really compelling, have you ever been responsible for recruiting students to a campus? Do you have any real idea of what students look for? Or are you just bloviating?
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Wheels, excellent post. Too bad it will be discounted by the know it all who has stated that " Every big ten fan is a moron", lol.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:31 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 am

And yet, all of those elite academic schools offer sports. Some even take those sports pretty seriously.

Oscar the Grouch of FanLax, I get that you're always the smartest guy on the board on every topic, but I do wonder if you've actually ever had any experience recruiting students to a school. While your anecdotal evidence from your wife's cousin is really compelling, have you ever been responsible for recruiting students to a campus? Do you have any real idea of what students look for? Or are you just bloviating?
You the man. I was never recruited or on a junior board of my undergrad institution. You got it all figured out. Who needs logic, understanding when you have the insight you have.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RURICK wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:31 am Wheels, excellent post. Too bad it will be discounted by the know it all who has stated that " Every big ten fan is a moron", lol.
In response to the the post from 09 but context has never been your friend I can see clearly. Since Donnie you’re out of your element here another appropriate one to represent my old man RURICK who never learned how to function on a social media chat board.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bB51NCcvuMs
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

RURICK wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:31 am Wheels, excellent post. Too bad it will be discounted by the know it all who has stated that " Every big ten fan is a moron", lol.
You missed the 2 word followup after calling everyone a moron..."Every big ten fan on these boards is a moron...you’re homeboy"
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

farfromgeneva, thanks for your social media guidance, lol.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RURICK wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:00 pm farfromgeneva, thanks for your social media guidance, lol.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

According to I, Chase Scanlan has entered the transfer portal!!!! Who TF is going to take on that risk?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rtal/58155
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:44 pm According to I, Chase Scanlan has entered the transfer portal!!!! Who TF is going to take on that risk?

Maybe Syracuse?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:51 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:44 pm According to I, Chase Scanlan has entered the transfer portal!!!! Who TF is going to take on that risk?

Maybe Syracuse?
Throw in the #22 to sweeten the pot?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”