Supreme Court Ruling

D1 Mens Lacrosse
a fan

Re: Supreme Court Ruling

Post by a fan »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:51 pm Give the players a real education.

Pay them their scholarships as income. The government can tax the check. Then the players can monetize their sports value in the open market and have that taxed. Hopefully by the end they will have enough to pay their tuition and play on the team.

Boy … they would learn so much more about life and really be critical thinkers and doers after that exposure to reality.
That's not reality.

Reality would be to apply this idea of yours to ALL students, not just athletes.

If we're going to do that, apply it to all students. Get a scholarship? Tax that as income.

And that doesn't even handle the elephant in the room-----taxpayers, both Federal and State subsidizing many Universities ability to operate. Hopkins alone gets $1 Billion+ per year from Uncle Sam. That pays for a lot of overhead, to put it mildly.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:45 pm

Pay them their scholarships as income. The government can tax the check. Then the players can monetize their sports value in the open market and have that taxed. Hopefully by the end they will have enough to pay their tuition and play on the team.

Boy … they would learn so much more about life and really be critical thinkers and doers after that exposure to reality.
That's not reality.

Reality would be to apply this idea of yours to ALL students, not just athletes.

If we're going to do that, apply it to all students. Get a scholarship? Tax that as income.

And that doesn't even handle the elephant in the room-----taxpayers, both Federal and State subsidizing many Universities ability to operate. Hopkins alone gets $1 Billion+ per year from Uncle Sam. That pays for a lot of overhead, to put it mildly.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... vers-would
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

That's not reality.

That’s not a “subsidy” … that is an investment in R & D … and our country should be doing a lot more of it.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:19 pm

That's not reality.

That’s not a “subsidy” … that is an investment in R & D … and our country should be doing a lot more of it.

DocBarrister
And the rules for overhead have been tightened significantly over the years. The days are long gone when a Uni like Stanford could put the President's socializing budget on federal contracts...
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:19 pm

That's not reality.

DocBarrister
I don't disagree in the slightest.

But that doesn't mean that the money doesn't arrive.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:31 pm And the rules for overhead have been tightened significantly over the years. The days are long gone when a Uni like Stanford could put the President's socializing budget on federal contracts...
I'll take your word for it.

But I'm not talking about a slushfund for cocktails. I'm talking about facilities and salaries paid for by the taxpayer...and enjoyed by Hopkins students at no cost to them.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:51 pm
Big Dog wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:31 pm And the rules for overhead have been tightened significantly over the years. The days are long gone when a Uni like Stanford could put the President's socializing budget on federal contracts...

But I'm not talking about a slushfund for cocktails. I'm talking about facilities and salaries paid for by the taxpayer...and enjoyed by Hopkins students at no cost to them.
True, but any of the top ~10 private Unis have similar salaries and facilities that are enjoyed by their undergraduate students. Students at say Dook, or Yale, are certainly not hurting for facilities or research opportunities.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:41 pm True, but any of the top ~10 private Unis have similar salaries and facilities that are enjoyed by their undergraduate students. Students at say Dook, or Yale, are certainly not hurting for facilities or research opportunities.
Yes. And where does the money for that come from? Taxpayers. Federal money. Last check Dook received $600M+ from the Fed.gov. Yale, half a billion.

Thats per year, btw.

I was responding to Essexfenwick's desire for student to learn about "reality". By all means, let's give them a reality check as to where these Universities get their money from.

I suspect we're on the same page here.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Johns Hopkins has long had a reputation for being conservative with respect to overhead costs. Indeed, Hopkins was sometimes cited as a contrast to universities like Stanford who played loose with federal money. Doesn’t mean Hopkins always used federal grant money efficiently. But Johns Hopkins has a good reputation for not wasting federal money … it’s one of the reasons Hopkins has led the nation in federal grant money for the past several decades.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

And Hopkins passes the savings on to their graduate students and families!

Just $70K+/- per year!

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/e ... y/tuition/
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:09 pm

And Hopkins passes the savings on to their graduate students and families!

Just $70K+/- per year!

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/e ... y/tuition/
Worth every penny!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Re: Supreme Court Rulig

Post by Drcthru »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:42 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:28 am You summarized an entire article in one short sentence.
:lol: This is America in a nutshell: Two-thirds of Americans now say they believe student athletes should be able to profit off their names and likeness. And 51 percent of those go even further, stating that they should be paid for their labor above the cost of free tuition and board.

Now ask the 1/3 who don't think their fellow Americans shouldn't be able to profit off of their work, if THEY THEMSELVES should have their wages and ability to make money capped.

Anyone want to take a wild guess as to what that answer would be?
Double negative? ;)
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Just like virtually every other American, NCAA “student athletes” will soon be able to profit off their name, image, and likeness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... etes-paid/

It’s about time.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

Maybe it's time to examine how the Canadians do collegiate sports & Junior hockey & lacrosse.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:51 pm Just like virtually every other American, NCAA “student athletes” will soon be able to profit off their name, image, and likeness.

It’s about time.

I wonder how the NCAA, Conferences and Schools will handle Trademark and Trade Dress.
Example: If after his Freshman Year Trevor Lawrence wanted to run a QB Camp touting Trevor as QB of the ACC Champs, Sugar Bowl Champs, National Champs, with a picture in his Clemson uniform in the semi final against ND, would the NCAA, Sugar Bowl , ACC , Clemson and ND all want some type compensation for using their brand to promote a players private endeavor.

What happens if Adidas wants to do a promotion with Lawrence who plays for Nike Sponsored School?

Remember it's the unions CBA that keeps players from entering the NBA or NFL directly from high school not the NCAA.
a fan

Post by a fan »

laxpert wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:31 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:51 pm Just like virtually every other American, NCAA “student athletes” will soon be able to profit off their name, image, and likeness.

It’s about time.

I wonder how the NCAA, Conferences and Schools will handle Trademark and Trade Dress.
Example: If after his Freshman Year Trevor Lawrence wanted to run a QB Camp touting Trevor as QB of the ACC Champs, Sugar Bowl Champs, National Champs, with a picture in his Clemson uniform in the semi final against ND, would the NCAA, Sugar Bowl , ACC , Clemson and ND all want some type compensation for using their brand to promote a players private endeavor.

What happens if Adidas wants to do a promotion with Lawrence who plays for Nike Sponsored School?
I think there's a larger concern right now because of the latest Court ruling. It was a 9-0 ruling, FFS....sends one of heck of a "you're doing it totally wrong, and it's not even a close call" message to the NCAA.

Using your example with Trevor Lawrence? I'd say that the ACC, the Sugar Bowl, the NCAA, and Notre Dame are all currently making millions off of Trevor Lawrence's "likeness" (NIL)....without giving him one penny for it. What happens if Lawrence presents a bill for his NIL ? Or worse....sues all the above entities for his cut?

The next few years are going to be utterly fascinating. So many unintended consequences. So many unforeseen twists and turns. Will NCAA players unionize? Will there be a separate Union for each sport? Will there be any Union at all, and instead, a free market for each player?

I have NO idea what's coming down the pike. Pandora's box has been opened.....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

That's one helluva scary thought, how chaotic it could be become. Players are now going to need legal/agents before the sign/accept to said school.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

It’s about time.

Remember it's the unions CBA that keeps players from entering the NBA or NFL directly from high school not the NCAA.
It has been a long time since I have noticed a sports figure doing a commercial (and this was the pros, where there is not only a CBA, but each player has a contract), but what I used to see was (say) Terry Bradshaw wearing a Black and Gold football uniform, but not really a Steelers uniform.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:33 pm

It’s about time.

It has been a long time since I have noticed a sports figure doing a commercial (and this was the pros, where there is not only a CBA, but each player has a contract), but what I used to see was (say) Terry Bradshaw wearing a Black and Gold football uniform, but not really a Steelers uniform.
I think eventually colleges will try and help their players commercialize their NILs … for a small (or not so small) cut of the action, of course.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

It’s going to accelerate inevitable trends that have already been accelerated by Covid. Namely, the cratering popularity of sports. The appeal that college sports have over minor league sports is the illusion that the players are students at good old college. It’s a suspension of disbelief pretending that the illiterates UNC graduated for 20 years are taking final exams prior to playing games and they love the school like you do. There is no way I will buy a ticket for minor league football/basketball once the illusion of being more than minor league is erased. I don’t go to minor league games now so why would I going forward. It’s actually very healthy to destroy the fake illusion of college revenue sports. Even though they are entertaining and lucrative their destruction at the alter of truth and reality is healthy for the country.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”