Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:52 pm Terps have added Cornell M Jonathan Donville, Villanova A Keegan Khan and Villanova D Owen Prybylski from the portal per Chris Jast https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 5247896579
Of course I was just told Prybilski was fat hot garbage on another thread earlier today. I don’t believe it, main Achilles is he sometimes takes cheap shots, recall him hacking at the back of a GTown players leg either last season or in 20 as well as a few other times I’ve seen him play outside the box
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Best guess at a depth chart

A: Khan-Maltz-Wis

1st MF: Bubba-Long-Malever

2nd MF: Donville-Koras-Brennan

EMO: Khan-Kelly-Wisnauskas-Donville-Malever-Long

SSDM: Puglise, Smith, Coffman, Higgins

LSM: Geppert, Sherrer, Zappitello

D: Makar-Prybylski-Rahill

G: Mac-??

FO: Wierman-??

I could see them going Malever-Khan-Wisnauskas kind of like they did at the end of the championship if they feel they need as many guys on the field who can draw slides as possible.

If not, i think you see Malever in the Connor Kelly Nominal Midfielder Who Never Leaves The Field role. Slide down for Maltz when the first midfield comes off, stays on for every offensive possession. I think he’s just the kind of talent who will need as many possessions as possible.

Prybylski move is interesting, like Wheels I wonder if this is impacted by Schirtzer not being able to contribute as much Year 1 as expected. But he’s a real good player who can start for sure.

Everything else is already set except for FO and a backup goalie. I suppose they can go with goalie in-house but idk...I would make a move there if possible. FO is the big one. You’re not going to find an AA in there, but I think you need as many options as possible like they had this year to at least give you a numbers advantage over teams.

Either way, this is a team that can get back to Memorial Day and take another run at it. Top 2 team to start next year IMO.
Last edited by jrn19 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:44 pm Best guess at a depth chart

EMO: Khan-Kelly-Wisnauskas-Donville-Malever-Bubba

I could see them going Malever-Khan-Wisnauskas kind of like they did at the end of the championship if they feel they need as many guys on the field who can draw slides as possible.

If not, i think you see Malever in the Connor Kelly Nominal Midfielder Who Never Leaves The Field role. Slide down for Maltz when the first midfield comes off, stays on for every offensive possession. I think he’s just the kind of talent who will need as many possessions as possible.

Prybylski move is interesting, like Wheels I wonder if this is impacted by Schirtzer not being able to contribute as much Year 1 as expected. But he’s a real good player who can start for sure.

Everything else is already set except for FO and a backup goalie. I suppose they can go with goalie in-house but idk...I would make a move there if possible. FO is the big one. You’re not going to find an AA in there, but I think you need as many options as possible like they had this year to at least give you a numbers advantage over teams.

Either way, this is a team that can get back to Memorial Day and take another run at it. Top 2 team to start next year IMO.
Donville might be the best midfielder on the team.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:56 pm

He’s awesome. He’ll probably start. And his shooting gives the team something it needs. But they’ve got a lot of guys worthy of seeing the field every time. Lot of people to keep happy. I just think Malever is a guy who will be hard to keep off the field with his dodging and play making and will need starting spots. And it’s a lot easier to run a grad senior on the 2nd MF than it is a sophomore who you want to be your main X attackmen at some point.

But we’ll see what happens. They can go a lot of different ways.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Some haul to announce in one shot. Must admit Im envious. Tillman slays.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:58 pm

He’s awesome. He’ll probably start. And his shooting gives the team something it needs. But they’ve got a lot of guys worthy of seeing the field every time. Lot of people to keep happy. I just think Malever is a guy who will be hard to keep off the field with his dodging and play making and will need starting spots. And it’s a lot easier to run a grad senior on the 2nd MF than it is a sophomore who you want to be your main X attackmen at some point.

I’d agree, but Fairman is the guy Id expect Malever to jump. Malever may also be a better attack option than Khan. In any case Benson has some pieces to play with.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Donville - does he have one or two years?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:13 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:58 pm

I’d agree, but Fairman is the guy Id expect Malever to jump. Malever may also be a better attack option than Khan. In any case Benson has some pieces to play with.
Bubba’s ability to go both ways is really valuable and I don’t see them parting with that. Now Donville getting some 1st MF shifts to spell Bubba (if Donville ran 2nd MF, he may not); def possible. But with the more transition nature of the game now, Bubba not being a guy you need to sub a shortie on for is valuable.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Call me crazy but would like to see a starting 6 of

Att- Donville Khan Wis
Mid- Fairman Long Malever

Not sure but aren't Khan Wis and Malever all lefties?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

shaadb-man wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:24 pm Call me crazy but would like to see a starting 6 of

Att- Donville Khan Wis
Mid- Fairman Long Malever

Not sure but aren't Khan Wis and Malever all lefties?
Malever is a rightie
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Gotcha

I know he played the lefty spot all HS and for his club team, must have been out of necessity.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Oh God… UMD and the great Tillman is pulling me back in after that gut wrenching finals loss to UVA that took me a month to get over the drinking hangover.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Positions don't matter in Maryland's offense. All 6 players end up all over the field.

They probably make more personnel decisions based on things like which midfielder will likely get the pole. UVA shorted Maltz so they could double pole the MF, but once Malever went in for Maltz, they couldn't do that.

If Tills and Benson think they can exploit a match up by putting Malever at attack so that an opponent's shorties get put on an island against Bubba, Long, or Donville, that's what they'll do. If they think a team is soft on the inside or has slide and recovery packages that can be exploited by Maltz having space, they'll do that. When Maryland's second MF line was in, teams started poling Malever pretty early in the season. That gave Brown more opportunities to invert.

Like JRN previously said, it would't be surprising to see Malever at attack when the second MF line was in but stay at MF when the first unit is in. Because that forces teams to figure out who pole or who to short.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Recruiting trail
ESPNU at noon Naptown Challenge championship
So DC Expres is in the 2022 championship game. Maryland ‘22 commits Dubick (32] and Stamos (19) will be playing. They play Annapolis Hawks which will have D. Pietramala, Dwan and several guys who are committed to Navy
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Donville, Khan, and Prybylski... That's a lot.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I thought Malever was penciled in to be the primary ball handler next season. Do you move him to midfield with Kahn getting that role? Seems like transfers are supplanting the recruited players at every place accepting them. I know, earn the position... But, it has to give recruits second thoughts about going to a program that actively look for someone better on the transfer wire. Doubt any recruit plans to, or wants to be foreever on the practice squad.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Maryland Terps **
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Owen Murphy from Hopkins to Maryland. He was a freshman in 2020 and not on the 2021 roster. Following Benson? Can’t believe he would be a starter. Would have to earn that.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wisnauskas, Khan, Maltz, Malever, Fairman, Long, Donville, Murphy is 8 guys. Even if you run a consistent 2nd midfield which they haven’t often been able to do aside from 2016 and 2021, that only leaves one more spot for: Brennan, Kelly, Koras, Sawyer, Smith.

Difficult to balance. On the one hand strong depth and lot of options in the offense is a good thing and you can never have too many guys who can draw slides. But bringing guys in and keepin the existing reserves happy is tricky. Ask Duke. Tillman’s done it well so far, hope it continues. We’ll see.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Unless Murphy is the next B O’Neill, he will probably spend his first year in college lax on the scout squad. Tills rarely gives spots to first year players especially since Murphy had no sr hs year, fall ball, and no roster time in 2021. That leaves 5 guys for two spots on the 2nd mid line, barring injury or other in/out movement of players.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”