Syracuse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: Syracuse

Post by Bart »

LaxThoughts wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:14 am
Bart wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:47 am
LaxThoughts wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:53 pm
8meterPA wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:26 pm May be old news but just saw Sam Swart returning for her 5th year.
One more year of cheap shots.
Interesting post. Are you suggesting she is a dirty player or just referencing that stupid yellow at the end of the game?

Yep stupid penalty. She had 4 yellows over the course if the season. Seems a reasonable number to me that does not suggest a dirty player.
Yes, that is what I am suggesting. That foul on the goalie was simply indicative. She regularly causes contact from behind and side on rides causing opposing players to sustain hard falls (which is more likely to cause serous injury than flying sticks, which she also does plenty). The yellow card count is only a data point since it reflects only those called, but a partially revealing one -- her 12 career yellow cards are what Mastroianni, Arsenault and Grace Griffin (no shrinking violets) had combined.
You are entitled to your opinion. I just do not see it. If Ms Swart does what you say at a rate greater than the norm then I would expect that her YC total would creep up. I just do not see her any different than many, many players at the D1 level in this regard. If the 4 yellows are indicative over a 3.5 year career (wont go 4 Years due to covid) that would suggest she averages 3.42/yr. Which would be below a first year middie for BC who had four?

There are other notable players who have more.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:26 pm May be old news but just saw Sam Swart returning for her 5th year.
This is such a garbage comment. And Cletus encouraging these kind of comments is really infuriating. Swart is not a dirty player, and Syracuse isn't a dirty or "thuggy" team. BC is just as physical as Syracuse is. The yellow card foul on Swart wasn't nearly as rough or malicious as some of these posters are making it out to be. Rachel Hall also sold it by dramatically falling down in the manner that she did; was definitely not that hard of a push at all.

If we want to start calling out and badmouthing these athletes, a few BC players come to my mind. Like Swart, Belle Smith also had 4 yellow cards this season. And most notoriously, BC has had a player on their team for several years that I always thought was a little too rough and dangerous in the way that she would recklessly crosscheck and take wild swings at opposing players... Cara Urbank, anyone???

Urbank had six yellow cards this season, and wait for it... ELEVEN yellow cards in the 2019 season!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

laxer12 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:06 pm
This is such a garbage comment. And Cletus encouraging these kind of comments is really infuriating. Swart is not a dirty player, and Syracuse isn't a dirty or "thuggy" team. BC is just as physical as Syracuse is. The yellow card foul on Swart wasn't nearly as rough or malicious as some of these posters are making it out to be. Rachel Hall also sold it by dramatically falling down in the manner that she did; was definitely not that hard of a push at all.

If we want to start calling out and badmouthing these athletes, a few BC players come to my mind. Like Swart, Belle Smith also had 4 yellow cards this season. And most notoriously, BC has had a player on their team for several years that I always thought was a little too rough and dangerous in the way that she would recklessly crosscheck and take wild swings at opposing players... Cara Urbank, anyone???

Urbank had six yellow cards this season, and wait for it... ELEVEN yellow cards in the 2019 season!
Or she could just not attempt to play defense ala CN - who in her only attempted ride of the year received a yellow card against Syracuse - a shot to the back.

I really think I'm upping my trolling game!
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Or she could just not attempt to play defense ala CN - who in her only attempted ride of the year received a yellow card against Syracuse - a shot to the back.

I really think I'm upping my trolling game!
IDK, B-? Not your best.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Yep--Cara can lay the lumber and play rough/chippy with the best of them. One thing you can say about Cara--she doesn't take any crap or intimidation from other players. Here she is retaliating vs Syracuse's Fahey in 2019 after Grace's vicious cross check--and Urbank didn't get called for a card here where she could easily have drawn a red card, let alone a yellow. She also made sure Kerrigan Miller hit the deck in the semifinal this year where she drew a yellow.

Teammate Brook Troy was also known for chippy play.

And not that LaxThoughts needs my help, but they do go into detail as to why they made the comment about Swart.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This discussion about Swart is just absolute nonsense, the epitome of off season filler talk when there's not much going on but hey, you can find something to talk about even if you have to make it up. People with their slo mo-freeze frame-replay toys have got plenty of time to go back and present sensationalized clips and make them look a whole lot worse than they were in real time. Throw the commentary in with it and oh my, you've got thugs, cheap shots, and dirty players. Trouble with all that is that doesn't pass the eye test in real time. Twelve YCs in fours years? To that I say BFD and that a dirty player dishing out cheap shots that does not make. All YCs are not equal, some are earned by the incidental slip of a stick from the shoulder to the neck/head and this can happen to any player out on the field competing at this level. Some of these games we see are mighty high intensity being played by a bunch of highly competitive girls and you're going to suggest that twelve YCs in four years indicates cheap shots and a dirty kind of player. Based on my eye test of watching this gal play in several of those games over the past four years, I'm calling pure unadulterated horseschidt on that. Sure, put the slo mo-freeze frame-replay up and put your slant on it and you can twist it the way you like. Hey, what you should do is put all twelve of 'em up in one slo mo clip, then you could really go to town on her. Would still fall under the category of pure unadulterated horseschidt anyway you look at it though. I don't know Sam but it's been said by more than one commentator that she's a very well liked player who brings a lot of fun and enthusiasm along with all that energy to her team. That really doesn't sound like a dirty player type gal to me but carry on with your off season fiction and cheap video entertainment.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Cletus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:50 am

Yep--Cara can lay the lumber and play rough/chippy with the best of them. One thing you can say about Cara--she doesn't take any crap or intimidation from other players. Here she is retaliating vs Syracuse's Fahey in 2019 after Grace's vicious cross check--and Urbank didn't get called for a card here where she could easily have drawn a red card, let alone a yellow. She also made sure Kerrigan Miller hit the deck in the semifinal this year where she drew a yellow.

Teammate Brook Troy was also known for chippy play.

And not that LaxThoughts needs my help, but they do go into detail as to why they made the comment about Swart.

So you admit that other teams (such as BC) also have very physical, sometimes a little rough or "chippy" players as well. I'm not sure why you felt the need to single out Syracuse and chastise its program as well as the players.

You could literally point to almost any high caliber division 1 team and find instances of physical or rough play. Primarily, there's nothing malevolent about most of these physical, aggressive plays. It's just the nature of the game today with the players being such strong, fast, intelligent, and competitive athletes.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

I've never thought of Swart as a dirty player. Maybe at times a little out of control. And when you pair that with her competitiveness it can lead to hard fouls and cards.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm I've never thought of Swart as a dirty player. Maybe at times a little out of control. And when you pair that with her competitiveness it can lead to hard fouls and cards.
Sam is one of the girls my daughter loves to "hate"...now hate in that sense is based on competitiveness and personal lax encounters....So, I dont take that as a negative....to qualify on her "hate" list is pretty limited and good. :lol:
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:27 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm I've never thought of Swart as a dirty player. Maybe at times a little out of control. And when you pair that with her competitiveness it can lead to hard fouls and cards.
Sam is one of the girls my daughter loves to "hate"...now hate in that sense is based on competitiveness and personal lax encounters....So, I dont take that as a negative....to qualify on her "hate" list is pretty limited and good. :lol:
"Hate" = respect. The game within the game!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:02 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:27 pm
"Hate" = respect. The game within the game!
Yep...not sure that SS even knows who my D is, but that is exactly the case.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Kimber Hower’s goodbye to Carolina and hello to Syracuse.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ1NFp-A6eV ... =copy_link
OuttaNowhereWregget

More on incoming goaltender Kimber Hower:

Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Wonder if any goalies went into the portal with this addition
moonwater21

Post by moonwater21 »

^^^ I wonder that as well. Speaking of that-- I wish someone who is on here who has access to the portal would be gracious enough to create an updated list like they are doing on the men's side. It's not fair that us women's lacrosse fans have to suffer and wait to find these things out!
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget

More fodder for the goalie situation...

https://twitter.com/cusewlax/status/141 ... 25673?s=21
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

moonwater21 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:11 pm ^^^ I wonder that as well. Speaking of that-- I wish someone who is on here who has access to the portal would be gracious enough to create an updated list like they are doing on the men's side. It's not fair that us women's lacrosse fans have to suffer and wait to find these things out!
Well one flew the coop. Transferred out
moonwater21

Post by moonwater21 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:37 am
moonwater21 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:11 pm ^^^ I wonder that as well. Speaking of that-- I wish someone who is on here who has access to the portal would be gracious enough to create an updated list like they are doing on the men's side. It's not fair that us women's lacrosse fans have to suffer and wait to find these things out!
Well one flew the coop. Transferred out
I just had to do some digging. I'm assuming you mean Jorden Concordia -----> St. Joe's?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”