THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by DMac »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:31 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:19 pm Big and much needed win for the Jays. Undoubtedly saved some heads from exploding.
One day Williams is going to run into a ref who calls warding off, that'll be a long day for him.
Hop coaches do Big Boy Burgers commercials down in the Hop area? Just an awful image for D1 lax coaches.
Why do you care what they look like? Are you looking to put a poster up on your wall? Grow up.
Because it's a lack of discipline and self control, it's a horrible imagine. Coaches live in the world of athletics, obesity isn't the image they should project, IMO.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:35 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:28 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:26 pm Was a big win for Hop whether they were playing NJIT or Md, russy, they needed a win.
I agree with your evaluation of the hit.
It wasn't the hit, it was the reaction to the hit.

Cook's hit was much worse.
I agree the celebration was idiotic. When it comes to Marr I'm just getting tired of the dirty slashes, late hits but the straw for me today was the flop to draw a penalty. That is flat out chicken dump nonsense and disrespectful to the game. You're a captain at Johns Hopkins, act like it.
He has been called for some dumb penalties (and gotten away with a few as well, especially on the ride), but he was pushed, and was losing his balance anyway. So, his choices were to fall forward and make the push obvious or to put a foot forward to keep his balance, and be guilty of a crease violation that he would otherwise would not have been save for the push.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

My first thought when Owen scored was the goal jack reilly had in transition at klockner in that 11/12/13 frame-I forgot which game. a new generation of jays finally started to make a name.

jack rowlett and tanner cook-total cheap shot thugs and cooks hit on mcmanus was something that hopefully gets reviewed further. Our guys w/a lot more on the line had their emotions under control, unc didn't and it cost the tar heels. sad!

Up
-the freshmen, they held their ground and in many cases contributed more than more veteran players. Darby acquitted himself enough and improved as the game went on. Narewski came on last week and showed it wasn't a fluke. Taite Cattoni belongs on the first midfield line. Owen McManus showed enormous toughness. evan zinn with a caused turnover. Epstein is Epstein.
-Jack Rapine.
-Epstein-playing like a sr. what a young man and athlete.
-they came out stronger and finished stronger and were the more emotionally composed team.
-transition offense/defense. Lot of turnovers from us but colwell/kuhn/hubler
-marr finally found his spots. still not enough, wasn't credited with a ct but had one to set up cattoni.
-2nd midfield 3 goals. one each from baskin/keogh/cattoni.

Down
-First midfield-aside from forrys goal early this was again a dumpster fire with 3 veterans who should be delivering more keeping unc in the game better than uncs offense/defense could. Cattoni/Zinn who had a key ct to end the game deserve to see the field more particularly cattoni. 1 goal, 4 turnovers, 6 shots, 1 60 second penalty-although I thought it was unwarranted. Prouty has already lost his job and a few of these guys need to be downgraded until they figure it out.
-williams, 2 nice assists late but again not the production from a jr who is supposed to play and lead at an aa level.
-Reinson picks up about 1/5 the gbs he should on the wing. Looked like Petro put foley in there for him during the middle of the game.
-"If you foul the jays the band will play"-emo was 2/7. I know they lost shack/tinney/fraser, this has to be better.
-2nd quarter continues to be a disaster area.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:39 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:19 pm Big and much needed win for the Jays. Undoubtedly saved some heads from exploding.
One day Williams is going to run into a ref who calls warding off, that'll be a long day for him.
Hop coaches do Big Boy Burgers commercials down in the Hop area? Just an awful image for D1 lax coaches.
Why do you care what they look like? Are you looking to put a poster up on your wall? Grow up.
Because it's a lack of discipline and self control, it's a horrible imagine. Coaches live in the world of athletics, obesity isn't the image they should project, IMO.
Yes I am sure that everyone is super impressed with how you look, I bet heads are turning constantly lol.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:43 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:26 pm Was a big win for Hop whether they were playing NJIT or Md, russy, they needed a win.

I agree the celebration was idiotic. When it comes to Marr I'm just getting tired of the dirty slashes, late hits but the straw for me today was the flop to draw a penalty. That is flat out chicken dump nonsense and disrespectful to the game. You're a captain at Johns Hopkins, act like it.
He has been called for some dumb penalties (and gotten away with a few as well, especially on the ride), but he was pushed, and was losing his balance anyway. So, his choices were to fall forward and make the push obvious or to put a foot forward to keep his balance, and be guilty of a crease violation that he would otherwise would not have been save for the push.
At least he didn't almost take anyone's head off today. To compare Marr's antics to what the kids on UNC were doing today is idiotic. How is elbowing a kid in the head "respectful to the game"? Take off your Hopkins hating glasses.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Aren't you a Syracuse fan? Desko isn't exactly a physical specimen. The world is filled with fat people and fat coaches. Give it a rest. No one cares about the body "image" coaches project.

Pat Foley is so good. All the poles were better off the ground today. Maybe we just need to ruin Homewood Field in order to get these guys some GBs.

Man-down was another bright spot...maybe we should play defense with 5 guys all the time.

Cook hit gets worse every time you watch the replay. In college football that's targeting and an immediate ejection.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Do you think anyone gets the Nate Solomon treatment (1 game suspension for penalty after final whistle) for that ending? Looked like a potentially illegal hit by Williams and if they got someone for instigating the fight at the end they may have also thrown a flag. I only saw a brief replay.
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:49 pm
Yes I am sure that everyone is super impressed with how you look, I bet heads are turning constantly lol.
When I was their age I weighed the same as I did when I played my last year of lacrosse at the age of 27. I also made the effort to go to the gym every other day for about four+ decades or so. It's mind set and discipline that these two (as well as all coaches, IMO) should make a part of their lives.
See what happened to Coach Sung at VT once he decided to make a couple of changes. It's inexcusable, in my book, to be the poster child for obesity when you're coaching elite D1 athletes. JMHO.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:51 pm

At least he didn't almost take anyone's head off today. To compare Marr's antics to what the kids on UNC were doing today is idiotic. How is elbowing a kid in the head "respectful to the game"? Take off your Hopkins hating glasses.
How was I comparing Marr's "antics" to anything? All I said was he was pushed, and as a result could either put a foot into the crease or fall into the crease?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

And also who the hell cares about the coaches looks?? This dude does not speak for all cuse fans. Our coaches are even fatter!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 pm
When I was their age I weighed the same as I did when I played my last year of lacrosse at the age of 27. I also made the effort to go to the gym every other day for about four+ decades or so. It's mind set and discipline that these two (as well as all coaches, IMO) should make a part of their lives.
See what happened to Coach Sung at VT once he decided to make a couple of changes. It's inexcusable, in my book, to be the poster child for obesity when you're coaching elite D1 athletes. JMHO.
Congrats dude, you're in great shape and posting on a forum while big fat Petro and Dwan are coaching D1 lacrosse at Johns Hopkins. If only they'd work out a little bit more and maybe they could be like you anonymously criticizing people's weight after an exciting 11-10 lacrosse game.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Has this DMac guy seen Simmons' gut?
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:00 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 pm
Congrats dude, you're in great shape and posting on a forum while big fat Petro and Dwan are coaching D1 lacrosse at Johns Hopkins. If only they'd work out a little bit more and maybe they could be like you anonymously criticizing people's weight after an exciting 11-10 lacrosse game.
Yes, you are the man, I guess that everyone wasn't lucky enough to be blessed with your sterling work ethic and genetics. Way to go, I am sure that you are a hero to many.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ha, now that's funny, 16, you sticking up for Hop coaches..that's different.
Am surprised you're not coaching there given all your expertise and all.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:59 pm
jhu93 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:51 pm

How was I comparing Marr's "antics" to anything? All I said was he was pushed, and as a result could either put a foot into the crease or fall into the crease?
My point is that antics are not nearly as disrespectful to the game as cheap shots, particularly cheap shots to the head. So the kid isn't perfect, who among us is? I don't remember him doing anything like what Cook did today. I think that any dramatic reactions to disrespect toward the game should be reserved for things a bit more dangerous than what Marr has done.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Just checked the box score.

Andy Matthews (the attackman Foley covered primarily today): 0 goals, 0 assists, 3 turnovers
Foley: 4 GBs, 2 CT

Cook with only 1 goal—that obviously helped. I think Kuhn was on him a lot? Wasn't really paying attention. Nice versatile games for Kuhn (1g, 5 GB, 1 CT, and Colwell (1 g, 1 a, 2 GB, 1 CT)

Considering the field and weather conditions, I'll take the 13-16 on clears. It still leaves much to be desired and Cattoni was lucky to escape one clear himself without turning it over, but there wasn't the same sense of panic as there has been.

Turnovers: 16, still too high, mud or no mud there were some inexcusable dropped passes again. At least it was less than the other team (18).

Rowlett had 7 CT last week against Harvard. None today. They put him on Epstein in the second half. The freshman is officially starting to draw the other team's best defenders. His days of matching up against shorties were shortlived.

They may have found a serviceable #3 SSDM in McManus. Far from perfect but for a freshman in his first game at a new position (was an LSM/D in high school), I liked what I saw. Showed a lot of toughness after Cook's attempted murder. Hope for no longterm effects of that hit. Also hope Narewski, Hubler, and Kuhn are all ok after getting shaken up at various points of the game.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Attempted Murder is a good way to describe Cooks hit. If you didn't see Rowlett's cheap shots, the tv guys did a great job catching all his antics after them. Wonder how many they did walking to the lockerroom losers. Maybe quint, carc, and dixon-the self annointed officiating guru of lacrosse can make an example of cook there. oh well.

Doubt williams gets suspension. He and the first midfield would be burned in effigy here had we lost that game and still deserve considerable scrutiny for their terrible start.

McManus showed something today as Epstein has all year, Narewski did last week and again this week, darby did in the 2nd half and hopefully zinn and others will get a chance to do. Lot of Freshman hope.

thanks for pointing that out on unc o. aside from that ugly run in the 2nd quarter which was in part the offense's fault, they were stronger today.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

The good- Defense and Transition game was much better.
The bad- Williams. Where has his game gone? First line mid- Concannon has one assist thru 3 games. Desimone has one goal thru 3 games. Smith 3 goals 0 assist thru 3 games. Question is, how long can this continue before you make changes? Do Desimone and Concannon warrant first line runs if they don't produce.

2 for 7 on EMO? Not good enough.

Good thing Epstein stayed true to that early commitment or this team would be in REAL trouble.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays beat an undefeated, ranked ACC team on the road in miserable conditions. Call this one a character win.

Yes, Williams had a pretty horrible game, even with his two assists. DeSimone dropped a terrific pass from Epstein that he should have caught and fired into the net.

And how the heck did Epstein end up in the defensive end of the field, catch that shovel pass, and execute a one-man clear?!? :shock: Was he playing midfield?!?

Great win.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

My, my, what a critical lot. Things sound pretty shaky, hope the coach and staff make the changes you're thinkin' they should.
When Carolina jumped out to a 3 goal lead, that was lookin' like a pretty fat lead at that point. Had some mo goin'. Hop mudded it out, hung tough, and won it. Wasn't a flawless effort, but a pretty good and gritty one.
Whole team deserves Big Boy Burgers for their effort.
Attempted murder is good a definition if you don't want to describe the play as a bit of a rough and bang, bang play in a lacrosse game. Pretty sure everyone will be okay.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”