Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:27 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:11 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:59 am Ohh, the horror. Athlete protests continue.

Probably need to not like the United States's first place winner too...

DeAnna Price won the trials with a throw of 263 feet, 6 inches, which was nearly 7 feet longer than Berry's throw. Brooke Andersen took second place.

Price, who became only the second woman in history to crack 80 meters, said she had no problem sharing the stage with Berry.

'I think people should say whatever they want to say. I'm proud of her,' Price said.

She figures to be going for gold along with world-record holder Anita Wlodarczyk of Poland, who is expected to be in Japan. Meanwhile, Andersen's throw was a mere 2 inches shy of Berry's personal best.
Maybe they should do a straw poll of the entire US Olympic team and post each and every athletes opinion on line for everyone to see. If your representing the USA and you turn your back on the flag of the country you are representing, why are you participating in the games at all?
Serious question?

One, because it marks the highest possible achievement in their sport, the culmination of a lifetime striving to accomplish the near impossible.

Two, because it provides a highly public platform from which to register a protest, to advocate a view.

Three, because some Americans believe that loving one's country, true American patriotism, is not marked by obeisance to a flag or an anthem, nor conformity in any sense, but rather in the freedom to express oneself, including challenging one's country to live up to its highest ideals of freedom and justice for all.

My best guess would be all three apply in this situation, just as it did in 1968.
I want to try and respect your opinion. This may be the biggest pile of horsechit you have ever posted on this forum. :roll: It is an honor to be chosen to represent your country. That honor should be treated by every athlete as such.
Hey, you're free to boycott watching her and her fellow athletes represent the USA. Turn your TV off if you can't handle the fact that some athletes are using their platform, earned by their victories, to express themselves freely.

Or hey, move to China or NK...they quite agree that their athletes are "chosen to represent" their country and that any show of personal protest deserves jail and "reduction" or worse.
I'm taking your advice MD. I will not watch one second of the Olympics. It disgusts me to no end that our athletes would disrespect their country and their flag. Good men and women died for what that flag represents. Your attitude and lack of understanding what that flag means to so many of us Americans disgusts me to no end. I have to stop writing right now because I am yet again on the brink of being reprimanded for making a personal attack.. :twisted:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I'm looking at that flag that the honor guard folded and presented to me at my dad's funeral. This country is sooooooooooooo effed up right now.
Bob Ross:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

When Smith and Carlos were in '68 Olympics, their protest made sense. To do this now?...GMAFB
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:56 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:59 am Ohh, the horror. Athlete protests continue.

DeAnna Price won the trials with a throw of 263 feet, 6 inches, which was nearly 7 feet longer than Berry's throw. Brooke Andersen took second place.

Price, who became only the second woman in history to crack 80 meters, said she had no problem sharing the stage with Berry.

'I think people should say whatever they want to say. I'm proud of her,' Price said.

She figures to be going for gold along with world-record holder Anita Wlodarczyk of Poland, who is expected to be in Japan. Meanwhile, Andersen's throw was a mere 2 inches shy of Berry's personal best.
Maybe they should do a straw poll of the entire US Olympic team and post each and every athletes opinion on line for everyone to see. If your representing the USA and you turn your back on the flag of the country you are representing, why are you participating in the games at all?
Serious question?

One, because it marks the highest possible achievement in their sport, the culmination of a lifetime striving to accomplish the near impossible.

Two, because it provides a highly public platform from which to register a protest, to advocate a view.

Three, because some Americans believe that loving one's country, true American patriotism, is not marked by obeisance to a flag or an anthem, nor conformity in any sense, but rather in the freedom to express oneself, including challenging one's country to live up to its highest ideals of freedom and justice for all.

My best guess would be all three apply in this situation, just as it did in 1968.
I want to try and respect your opinion. This may be the biggest pile of horsechit you have ever posted on this forum. :roll: It is an honor to be chosen to represent your country. That honor should be treated by every athlete as such.
Hey, you're free to boycott watching her and her fellow athletes represent the USA. Turn your TV off if you can't handle the fact that some athletes are using their platform, earned by their victories, to express themselves freely.

Or hey, move to China or NK...they quite agree that their athletes are "chosen to represent" their country and that any show of personal protest deserves jail and "reduction" or worse.
I'm taking your advice MD. I will not watch one second of the Olympics. It disgusts me to no end that our athletes would disrespect their country and their flag. Good men and women died for what that flag represents. Your attitude and lack of understanding what that flag means to so many of us Americans disgusts me to no end. I have to stop writing right now because I am yet again on the brink of being reprimanded for making a personal attack.. :twisted:
I understand your point of view, far better than you assume.

And I don't have any argument with your respect for the flag or the anthem. I happen to be quite comfortable taking my hat off, putting my hand over my heart, and either singing along or listening quietly, during the anthem. I take the moments to remember my own stake in the country from which I have benefited so much.

My debate is with any denigration of another's patriotism because they believe that the truest expression of their own love of their country, in a specific moment, is to challenge it and their fellow Americans to live up to the ideals it expresses, to live up fully to its best aspirations.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:06 pm When Smith and Carlos were in '68 Olympics, their protest made sense. To do this now?...GMAFB
I disagree, but that's no surprise.
I don't recall your age, tech, were you alive and aware of that protest at the time?
Did you understand it, support it?

I was 11, knew it was happening, but didn't fully comprehend the moment...and if anything was opposed to it. As I learned more and matured, that view changed, but the attitudes towards it amongst many I knew did not change. They remained angry. Very angry...for decades.

Same reactions as today.

And note, last summer we had the largest civil rights protests in US history, including those of the '60's, and those protests extended around the world, largest in world history.

Yet, we have many who have much the same reactions as their predecessors did back in '68.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Serious question?

And I don't have any argument with your respect for the flag or the anthem. I happen to be quite comfortable taking my hat off, putting my hand over my heart, and either singing along or listening quietly, during the anthem. I take the moments to remember my own stake in the country from which I have benefited so much.

My debate is with any denigration of another's patriotism because they believe that the truest expression of their own love of their country, in a specific moment, is to challenge it and their fellow Americans to live up to the ideals it expresses, to live up fully to its best aspirations.
My opinion is unwavering. If you are chosen to represent your country in the Olympics the flag is the symbol of every American that that helped make that possible. You can hate your country all you want. If that is what you feel in your heart, then you politely refuse to participate in the games. I'm guessing that some of these principled athletes would gladly turn their back on all the endorsement money they will earn from representing that flag they have so much contempt for.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:12 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:06 pm When Smith and Carlos were in '68 Olympics, their protest made sense. To do this now?...GMAFB
I don't recall your age, tech, were you alive and aware of that protest at the time?

I was 11, knew it was happening, but didn't fully comprehend the moment...and if anything was opposed to it. As I learned more and matured, that view changed, but the attitudes towards it amongst many I knew did not change. They remained angry. Very angry...for decades.

Same reactions as today.

And note, last summer we had the largest civil rights protests in US history, including those of the '60's, and those protests extended around the world, largest in world history.

Yet, we have many who have much the same reactions as their predecessors did back in '68.
Simple solution there MD, follow your moral compass and refuse to represent your country. These people don't hate their country that much that they will turn their back on all the 🤑 they can make after the games are over.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:18 pm

Serious question?

My opinion is unwavering. If you are chosen to represent your country in the Olympics the flag is the symbol of every American that that helped make that possible. You can hate your country all you want. If that is what you feel in your heart, then you politely refuse to participate in the games. I'm guessing that some of these principled athletes would gladly turn their back on all the endorsement money they will earn from representing that flag they have so much contempt for.
Except that they don't "hate their country", they want it to live up more fully to its ideals.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

One simple difference...🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:22 pm

Serious question?

Except that they don't "hate their country", they want it to live up more fully to its ideals.
Buffalo Bagels as a Fan would say. Your representing your country because you were chosen. I guess I can say that having athletes with this perspective representing my country... I have no problem not watching or paying any attention to these Olympics.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:12 pm

Same reactions as today.

The father of a young guy that worked for me ran track with Tommie Smith and they were good friends. A nice kid that has done well. We’ve become pretty friends and he hired a ND lacrosse player in part because I knew him. His father says he doesn’t care what the times say, but Tommie Smith was the fastest guy he has ever seen. Equipment and track surfaces changed the game. Tommie may have been in ROTC with him as well.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Serious question?

Buffalo Bagels as a Fan would say. Your representing your country because you were chosen. I guess I can say that having athletes with this perspective representing my country... I have no problem not watching or paying any attention to these Olympics.
American athletes are "chosen" because they have the best chance to win, not because of their politics nor their race (anymore).

But you needn't watch them win.
You needn't root for them to win.
That's up to you to decide for yourself.

I get it that you want to vent. So many do.
But you're simply wrong, just like millions before you were wrong about the values of America, and the 'value' of Americans.

The Declaration of Independence and the 3/5 clause of the Constitution are both wholly American, but which represents our best ideals as America? Asking for our country to live more fully up to those ideals is an expression of love and faith in those ideals, and by extension our country's best aspirations.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:07 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Serious question?

American athletes are "chosen" because they have the best chance to win, not because of their politics nor their race (anymore).

But you needn't watch them win.
You needn't root for them to win.
That's up to you to decide for yourself.

I get it that you want to vent. So many do.
But you're simply wrong, just like millions before you were wrong about the values of America, and the 'value' of Americans.

The Declaration of Independence and the 3/5 clause of the Constitution are both wholly American, but which represents our best ideals as America? Asking for our country to live more fully up to those ideals is an expression of love and faith in those ideals, and by extension our country's best aspirations.

“You’re wrong”. :lol: Jesus flipping’ cripes, the arrogance is comical.

Back to the relevant issue.

Gwen can hammer-toss in a 1,000 hammer-toss events during the year which have squat to do with one’s country. Heck she can go to a track tomorrow and validate her throw distance.

The Olympics are about country. We love our athletes, and kind of expect that they’ll love America in return.

MD probably seethed when US hockey team beat the USSR at the Lake Placid games in ‘80.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Go away, troll.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:32 pm Go away, troll.
When your representing your COUNTRY your representing all Americans. If you can't put your personal biases against your country on the sidelines for 10 days. Then stay home and stand by your principles. IMO her coach should have had a heart to heart with her and put it in no uncertain terms. She could choose to make up her own mind. If she can't then the coach should find another athlete to take her place.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:08 pm
When your representing your COUNTRY your representing all Americans. If you can't put your personal biases against your country on the sidelines for 10 days. Then stay home and stand by your principles. IMO her coach should have had a heart to heart with her and put it in no uncertain terms. She could choose to make up her own mind. If she can't then the coach should find another athlete to take her place.
yup, that's you think...that it's based on a lie about the reasoning folks like this gal have ("they hate their country", they have "personal biases against their country") is of no matter to you. Ignore their reasoning, all that matters is your assumptions, wrong as they may be.

Got it.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 pm
yup, that's you think...that it's based on a lie about the reasoning folks like this gal have ("they hate their country", they have "personal biases against their country") is of no matter to you. Ignore their reasoning, all that matters is your assumptions, wrong as they may be.

Got it.
In this instance I don't care about their reasoning. If your beliefs are so strong, stay home. They are going to embarrass their team mates and their country with a selfish protest against their country. Yes I believe it is a symbolic gesture showing hatred and contempt towards your country. I think her behavior was contemptible, you think she a modern day heroine. Got it Lima Charlie. In my world her coach tells her to pack her bags and go home. That would be mean spirited wouldn't it?
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Reductive juvenile thinking. Got it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

The result of leftism

61CF2747-1913-40E9-AE7B-EF4E3EC03324.jpeg
61CF2747-1913-40E9-AE7B-EF4E3EC03324.jpeg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:13 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Got it.
In this instance I don't care about their reasoning. If your beliefs are so strong, stay home. They are going to embarrass their team mates and their country with a selfish protest against their country. Yes I believe it is a symbolic gesture showing hatred and contempt towards your country. I think her behavior was contemptible, you think she a modern day heroine. Got it Lima Charlie. In my world her coach tells her to pack her bags and go home. That would be mean spirited wouldn't it?
Well, in the real world, the coach gets sent home.
But hey, go ahead and move to China or NK if you want it the other way.

No, I don't think she's a heroine.
And I'd prefer that she had another way to express her views.

However, I respect the intent of such protests, and I fully accept that those who protest typically love our country's ideals and best aspirations. Doesn't mean that a protester couldn't 'hate' or have 'contempt' for the country, but I don't read any of that in these particular sorts of protests, certainly not automatically.

Return to “POLITICS”