Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FL-GO

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by FL-GO »

Matt crushed Massa last two years. Dirrgl set the record against Cortland and the Army guy against Lehigh back in 2003 when they sucked. Not much difference than doing it against Canisius, but keep on enjoying the view from your Ivy League tower.

Good luck reason of the season.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree with you about rotating/changing up FOGOs, Ivy, have brought that up before. Don't know why coaches use their "main" FOGOs like rented mules. Watched Desko beat Williams up for a couple of years to the point that he was nowhere near as effective as he was before he was all banged up, drove me crazy. Cuse rotated three of them v UA last week end, all did a pretty good job, got some experience, and each brought a little different look to the X. Sure seems like a much smarter way to go to me.
Forgot about Doununda, watched the game but don't remember if they used him or not. He get a shot at any face offs?
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:07 am Agree with you about rotating/changing up FOGOs, Ivy, have brought that up before. Don't know why coaches use their "main" FOGOs like rented mules. Watched Desko beat Williams up for a couple of years to the point that he was nowhere near as effective as he was before he was all banged up, drove me crazy. Cuse rotated three of them v UA last week end, all did a pretty good job, got some experience, and each brought a little different look to the X. Sure seems like a much smarter way to go to me.
Forgot about Doununda, watched the game but don't remember if they used him or not. He get a shot at any face offs?
He got in one time, lost it because of a violation. One other guy, Luca Tria took four, I think, won two.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

FL-GO wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:06 am
but keep on enjoying the view from your Ivy League tower.
Ahooogah... AHooogah... Attitude Alert! Attitude Alert! :roll:
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Ivyman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:07 am Agree with you about rotating/changing up FOGOs, Ivy, have brought that up before. Don't know why coaches use their "main" FOGOs like rented mules. Watched Desko beat Williams up for a couple of years to the point that he was nowhere near as effective as he was before he was all banged up, drove me crazy. Cuse rotated three of them v UA last week end, all did a pretty good job, got some experience, and each brought a little different look to the X. Sure seems like a much smarter way to go to me.
He got in one time, lost it because of a violation. One other guy, Luca Tria took four, I think, won two.
I think you have a fair argument wondering why Tria didn’t get more opportunities. As for Graham and Hughes, neither of them had ever taken a D1 faceoff, so perhaps the coaches did not think they had shown enough in practice to earn playing time.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Agreed, Raz' 14 of 30 face-off wins was enhanced by better Cornell wing play.
I would not, however, get too down on him after one game, the first of the season. If I'm not mistaken, he missed FallBall due to injury, and except for a gutty cameo in the 4th quarter vs. Maryland at Annapolis, he missed the last month of last season as well. Note - he also improved significantly (with a capital S) last season after the first few games. He really settled in. Yes, it helped that he was past games vs. Ierlan and Arceri early on.

As for the Aussie, my assumption is that he is not ready for prime time. I also think that his performance vs. Baptiste i Israel last summer was completely over-hyped. He's a prospect.

Milliman and Reisman watch the FOGOS every day. I trust their judgement. While watching the game, I also wondered why Tria didn't get more chances. However, Raz is the #1 guy...and it's very important for a FOGO to get his rhythm. I'm sure Milliman and Reisman were looking to balance giving Raz time to figure things out with going with Tria and giving Hobart's guy different looks.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

TD Ierlan dominating PSU at the X, Yale leads 10-7 with 5 min left in 3Q
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

'Watched Yale beat Penn State 14-13. PSU cut a 3 or 4 goal Yale lead in the last few minutes.
Ierlan completely dominated Arceri...to the point where Tambroni gave another FOGO several looks...including the final face-off with a minute left and Yale up 1.

Bottom line - this was extremely high level of lacrosse. 'Can't articulate how good both teams looked. In all due respect to the Big Red, nothing resembling last night. The players and staff have their work cut out for them.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

+1. I think PSU had only 1 FO win vs Ierlan that was an actual win, not a violation. And almost all those TD wins were against a guy that's a top FO man. Yale's big soph Dman, Fink, may have been exposed today. PSU often played Yale's finisher Gaudet with a short. Bad mistake. Too easy for him to pop back out of reach and get a feed for a point blank shot.

Princeton looked good in a 1 goal OT loss to Virginia today. Top half if the Ivies are tough this year.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Yale is strong all over the field but Ierlan is the difference maker. Against PS, I don't know who we have on D who can match up with Ament, and his return makes O'Keefe even more dangerous. Had Ierlan not given Yale such a possession advantage, there's a very good chance the result would have been different. I don't expect Arceri to have another day like today, including against our fogo's. Our offense can run with anybody, but it's pretty clear where we need to improve-- quickly. No gloom and doom here; there was plenty to like in our opener, but if we want to compete with the best, including Yale and PS, we've got lots of work to do.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Ivyman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 pm +1. I think PSU had only 1 FO win vs Ierlan that was an actual win, not a violation. And almost all those TD wins were against a guy that's a top FO man. Yale's big soph Dman, Fink, may have been exposed today. PSU often played Yale's finisher Gaudet with a short. Bad mistake. Too easy for him to pop back out of reach and get a feed for a point blank shot.

Princeton looked good in a 1 goal OT loss to Virginia today. Top half if the Ivies are tough this year.
Yale fan here -- I don't think Chris Fake was exposed even though Grant Ament got the better of him today. Rather, I think Ament is having a Tewaaraton Finalist type year; Yale's defense is adjusting to the loss of all-World ssdm Tyler Warner and 4-year starter and second-team All-Ivy ssdm Jason Alessi; and Yale's goalie had an okay, but not great, day in net today. Yale's defense also made its life harder with some botched clears (13 for 17 on the day but missed two in the fourth quarter in tight spots).

It was a better day overall for Yale's offense than its defense, but the defense came up with some nice caused turnovers in the fourth quarter and shut down Penn State for a long enough time for the offense to get a big enough lead that a determined Nittany Lion comeback could not surmount. The team is still a work in progress, with clearing, cutting down on turnovers, and defensive footwork all things that can be improved. TD Ierlan was immense today--absolutely the game MVP and then some--and it can be expected he will provide the Elis with some margin for error as an experienced coaching staff looks to polish up some of the talent on both sides of the ball.

I am grateful that Yale comes out of Week 2 at .500 and I look forward to some really tough battles, and great lacrosse, as the Ivy season rolls around. Good luck to the Big Red against Lehigh tomorrow. Do the Cornell Cognoscenti think Lehigh will try to shut off Jeff Teat or play it straight?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Hi Orfling! I'm not sure I qualify as Cognoscenti, but my guess is that they will try it. As I've noted before on this board, it's a more complex manouver than simply a "faceguard" to have it work.

From watching the highlights Hobart game, it seems like Mr. Teat's improvement over the summer, and Cornell's depth on offense, makes the shut-off even more difficult to implement successfully.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:38 pm Hi Orfling! I'm not sure I qualify as Cognoscenti, but my guess is that they will try it. As I've noted before on this board, it's a more complex manouver than simply a "faceguard" to have it work.

From watching the highlights Hobart game, it seems like Mr. Teat's improvement over the summer, and Cornell's depth on offense, makes the shut-off even more difficult to implement successfully.
You are, indeed, part of the Cognoscenti when it comes to Big Red Lacrosse. The "Teat shut-off" was one of the great unsolved mysteries coming into the 2019 season since it became a "thing" fairly late down the stretch last year. I agree it's not so easy even in a vacuum to implement an effective shut-off without losing your defensive identity (probably why Yale tried to play Teat straight in the Ivy tournament, with a notable lack of success), and far less so given some of Cornell's other talented offensive play-makers. If Lehigh does try the shut-off I'm looking forward to see how the Cornell coaching staff adjusts.

Sounds like it could be a big weekend for the "Ivy League Ierlans," with Chayse as starting goalie for the Big Red and TD coming off a monster performance against a top face-off man.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Orfling, upon reflection, a more interesting thing to watch might be how Cornell performs with a one day turn-around. Personally, I think that the Big Red's physical conditioning and readiness can adapt and overcome this disadvantage. This does, however, add another dimension to the game.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:15 pm Orfling, upon reflection, a more interesting thing to watch might be how Cornell performs with a one day turn-around. Personally, I think that the Big Red's physical conditioning and readiness can adapt and overcome this disadvantage. This does, however, add another dimension to the game.
For sure. As a "glass half full" type, I will go on record predicting that the short turn-around will be better for Cornell than the long layoff (9 days) is for Lehigh. No rust for the Red!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:06 am Matt crushed Massa last two years. Dirrgl set the record against Cortland and the Army guy against Lehigh back in 2003 when they sucked. Not much difference than doing it against Canisius, but keep on enjoying the view from your Ivy League tower.

Good luck reason of the season.
Realize you Cornell folks have moved on and I may have gassed up my friend FLGOs head but I thought it was an interesting and educational game we watched. Cornell has top tier talent including whom I think is the best player in college and Piatelli was great.

I understand standards and floors being set but I think all we Bart fans may have take some of the postgame comments here as dismisssive. Maybe I’ll be wrong but this isn’t a 4-10 team you faced, may very well be top 20 caliber of we can get the back half figured out with soem
Talented D men and especially at goal. Maybe he’s not
Ireland, but I am sure Pedicine is one of the 5-6 best FOGOs in dI this year, got screwed I. Conference accolades last year by reputation. He beats almost everyone clean but your wing play was very good. On d, you have some younger guys but I promise this Hobart offense will be one of the 5 best you play this year. Ton of us rclassmen playing too for us and they weren’t ready for this level of talent.

But like folks gave RoMo props last year I think come May you may very well be counting this as a technical qualith win.

Good luck the rest of the season. I hate you all on game day but have my Upstate love the rest of the year. Especially compared with the mid Atlantic dillatentes.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Farfrom: Hobart looked really good in my limited viewing. Good luck the rest of the way!
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Today’s game should continue to help understand improvement at FO as we go up against the same FOGO as last year when we were 7 of 25.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Saw the Penn State Yale game on the Ivy Network on ESPN+, was very good (picture, announcers and replay). Hoping this is because of ESPN+ and is consistent across all locations, not sure how much the host university plays into this. Another benchmark to measure today.....
another fan

Post by another fan »

RedIvy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:00 am Today’s game should continue to help understand improvement at FO as we go up against the same FOGO as last year when we were 7 of 25.
Lehigh also has perhaps the top freshman fogo, He was rated equally with Neumann at Yale, but bested him in the Under Armour game. I don't think he has seen time yet, perhaps because of injury.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”