January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by PizzaSnake »

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:53 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:28 am
Actual text of Milley:
The text doesn't do full justice to the tone...watch it.

The United States Military Academy is a university. And it is important that we train, and we understand ― and I want to understand white rage. And I’m white, and I want to understand it.

And I personally find it offensive that we are accusing the United States military, general officers, commissioned and noncommissioned officers of being quote ‘woke,’ or something else because we’re studying some theories that are out there.
The service academies do not offer majors in philosophy, sociology, theology or ethnic studies.
By endorsing such content, the SecDef & Chiefs are implicitly casting doubt on the loyalty of their troops.
This is not an academic exercise, it is pandering to their woke partisan civilian leaders, using their troops as a captive audience.
And why don't they? As a taxpayer, I am funding the education of these public servants. That is what they are, they are servants -- they serve our nation. They volunteer to "serve" our nation, and, in fact, like all public servants, swear an oath to uphold and defend our Constitution. In return, we educate them and offer attractive pay packages and retirement, not to mention comprehensive medical, although I do think that the combat wounded get royally scr3wed over --- we need fewer yellow ribbons on cars and better benefits for the disabled vets.

So, I want my public servants extremely well-educated. I want a complete education, not some watered-down, incomplete STEM nonsense. If the officers can't grasp or don't want this sort of education, then they should look elsewhere for an education and job. Military service in our volunteer force is a privilege, not an entitlement.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:03 pm
Actual text of Milley:

The United States Military Academy is a university. And it is important that we train, and we understand ― and I want to understand white rage. And I’m white, and I want to understand it.

And I personally find it offensive that we are accusing the United States military, general officers, commissioned and noncommissioned officers of being quote ‘woke,’ or something else because we’re studying some theories that are out there.
The service academies do not offer majors in philosophy, sociology, theology or ethnic studies.
By endorsing such content, the SecDef & Chiefs are implicitly casting doubt on the loyalty of their troops.
This is not an academic exercise, it is pandering to their woke partisan civilian leaders, using their troops as a captive audience.
And why don't they? As a taxpayer, I am funding the education of these public servants. That is what they are, they are servants -- they serve our nation. They volunteer to "serve" our nation, and, in fact, like all public servants, swear an oath to uphold and defend our Constitution. In return, we educate them and offer attractive pay packages and retirement, not to mention comprehensive medical, although I do think that the combat wounded get royally scr3wed over --- we need fewer yellow ribbons on cars and better benefits for the disabled vets.

So, I want my public servants extremely well-educated. I want a complete education, not some watered-down, incomplete STEM nonsense. If the officers can't grasp or don't want this sort of education, then they should look elsewhere for an education and job. Military service in our volunteer force is a privilege, not an entitlement.
The attend many classes on Ethics, which broach all those topics you are concerned with. The Ethics and Leadership classes are far more endearing, and are guided towards leading ALL people. So yes, your taxes are going to good use.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Actual text of Milley:

Not only is this post supremely obnoxious, it’s weirdly naive.

That’s an odd combination, rarely seen in these parts.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:53 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:13 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:47 am
old salt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:09 am
old salt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:07 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 am
Actual text of Milley:

:roll:

Yeah, you agree with Carlson, then?

Seriously?
Who's Carlson ? I can think for myself. I do agree with JD Vance, who I linked.
I didn't ask whether you agree with Vance.
I asked you whether you agree with Carlson.

I'm having a hard time believing you don't know what he said about Milley.

https://www.newsweek.com/tucker-carlson ... ts-1604029
I did not see Carlson (who I know as Tucker), in context or excerpted.
I do not agree with the tone or pejoratives attributed to him in your link.

I do agree with what JD Vance tweeted, which is why I linked it.
It's worth actually seeing Tucker Carlson's comments in his own tone of voice:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tucke ... ley-a-pig/

Here's one response.
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/tucker- ... y-attacks/

These are your fellas, Salty. That's what they're selling out there.
Them and Vlad.

Re Vance, he let his mask slip sometime ago.
Milley is leaving Afghanistan after 20 years and trillions of dollars, and thousands of lost American lives, turning it over to the Taliban.

Glad he’s woke though.
I'm not sure that during 20 years of fighting the US military ever figured out what the rules of engagement were suppose to be. A good starting point was when someone was shooting at you. That was not necessarily the case in Afghanistan. Hell you had to worry about the Afghans on your side lighting you up if you weren't paying close attention.

Well, I guess we don’t need to think through things like winning battles; it’s clearly more important that the military brass learn to call trans people by correct pronouns.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sheesh, love having a frat boy troll tell us what's what in the US military.

I'll listen to Salty's views with an appropriate degree of respect for his service and his usually measured perspective, regardless of whether we disagree, but whether it's Tucker Carlson or our very own gator, just gross trolling.

Might as well be working for Vlad.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:42 pm
Actual text of Milley:

The attend many classes on Ethics, which broach all those topics you are concerned with. The Ethics and Leadership classes are far more endearing, and are guided towards leading ALL people. So yes, your taxes are going to good use.
"which broach all those topics you are concerned with"

Actually, I am "concerned" with a great deal more than ethics -- a complete education, as I said before. Among other things history, lest:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." --George Santanyana

Evidently the neo-cons didn't know the history of invading Afghanistan, "the graveyard of empires".
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:47 pm
Actual text of Milley:

Not only is this post supremely obnoxious, it’s weirdly naive.

That’s an odd combination, rarely seen in these parts.
"Not only is this post supremely obnoxious"

Pot, I'd like you to meet kettle.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:42 pm
Actual text of Milley:

And in such, we'd hope that they actually get exposed to the full range of perspectives relevant, just as Milley argued, not some false mythology to which they would be expected to goose-step in obeisance.

Remember it wasn't pizza's claim that the service academies don't address the sorts of humanities courses that can provide such perspective, that was Salty. I dunno how much or not gets dealt with at the service academies, but pizza's absolutely correct about wanting those future leaders of the military to have a truly excellent education, preparing them to actually lead not simply command.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:37 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:32 am I am sure Goebbels can tell us. :lol: :lol:
So says Dr Mengele.
The very best fanlax comeback in many months. The late great Howard Cosell would have put it... "just telling it like it is" :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:00 pm Sheesh, love having a frat boy troll tell us what's what in the US military.

I'll listen to Salty's views with an appropriate degree of respect for his service and his usually measured perspective, regardless of whether we disagree, but whether it's Tucker Carlson or our very own gator, just gross trolling.

You completely blew off the valid point Pete made in response to my post. You can't win battles when you can't shoot back at the people shooting at you. You had to sift through the entire chain of command to receive authorization to return fire. You should pay more attention to Salty when he tries to enlighten you. He has taken you behind the woodshed so many times with the hickory switch I'm starting to think your a bit of a masochist MD and you enjoy the pain... ;)
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:13 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:00 pm Sheesh, love having a frat boy troll tell us what's what in the US military.

You completely blew off the valid point Pete made in response to my post. You can't win battles when you can't shoot back at the people shooting at you. You had to sift through the entire chain of command to receive authorization to return fire. You should pay more attention to Salty when he tries to enlighten you. He has taken you behind the woodshed so many times with the hickory switch I'm starting to think your a bit of a masochist MD and you enjoy the pain... ;)
Keep up with your butt sniffing. :roll:

And no, it was not a 'valid point' in the slightest, just more trolling by the frat boy gator.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Actual text of Milley:

+1. Nobody is forcing them to volunteer.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:47 am
old salt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:09 am
old salt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:07 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 am
Actual text of Milley:

:roll:

Yeah, you agree with Carlson, then?

Seriously?
Who's Carlson ? I can think for myself. I do agree with JD Vance, who I linked.
I didn't ask whether you agree with Vance.
I asked you whether you agree with Carlson.

I'm having a hard time believing you don't know what he said about Milley.

https://www.newsweek.com/tucker-carlson ... ts-1604029
I did not see Carlson (who I know as Tucker), in context or excerpted.
I do not agree with the tone or pejoratives attributed to him in your link.

I do agree with what JD Vance tweeted, which is why I linked it.
It's worth actually seeing Tucker Carlson's comments in his own tone of voice:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tucke ... ley-a-pig/

Here's one response.
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/tucker- ... y-attacks/

These are your fellas, Salty. That's what they're selling out there.
Them and Vlad.

Re Vance, he let his mask slip sometime ago.
I don't give a fig about what Tucker Carlson says. My thoughts are my own.
He doesn't speak for me any more then AOC speaks for you.
It's a dishonest weasel move to equate anyone who does not agree with Milley on this to Tucker Carlson.
I've defended Milley several times before but I disagree with him on this issue,
...unless he can provide evidence of "white rage" or extremism in the ranks, which he has yet to do.
If it does exist, it's a failure of leadership on his part.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:07 pm Remember it wasn't pizza's claim that the service academies don't address the sorts of humanities courses that can provide such perspective, that was Salty. I dunno how much or not gets dealt with at the service academies, but pizza's absolutely correct about wanting those future leaders of the military to have a truly excellent education, preparing them to actually lead not simply command.
:lol: ...you & pizza have no clue about what is taught at the service academies or how.
You don't need to have majors in the fields I listed to develop the perspective you seek.
It is inculcated in the Mids & Cadets from Induction Day until Commissioning Day,
https://accts.org/ethics/norway/garrettt.htm
https://www.usna.edu/Academics/Majors-a ... ion/NL.php
...just as it was in JD Vance as an enlisted Marine, from the time he began boot camp.
https://www.shortform.com/blog/jd-vance-marine/
Last edited by old salt on Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:44 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:07 pm Remember it wasn't pizza's claim that the service academies don't address the sorts of humanities courses that can provide such perspective, that was Salty. I dunno how much or not gets dealt with at the service academies, but pizza's absolutely correct about wanting those future leaders of the military to have a truly excellent education, preparing them to actually lead not simply command.
:lol: ...you & pizza have no clue about what is taught at the service academies or how.
You don't need to have majors in the fields I listed to develop the perspective you seek.
It is inculcated in the Mids & Cadets from Induction Day until Commissioning Day,
...just as it was in JD Vance as an enlisted Marine, from the time he began boot camp.
Does the Marine Academy have sports teams?
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:01 pm
The Marine Corps is a Naval Service. As such, the Naval Academy is the Service Academy commissioning source for the Marine Corps.
Recently, 20 - 25 % of USNA graduating classes volunteered for USMC service.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:01 pm
The Marine Corps is a Naval Service. As such, the Naval Academy is the Service Academy commissioning source for the Marine Corps.
Recently, 20 - 25 % of USNA graduating classes volunteered for USMC service.
Is that what Vance did?
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The insurrection was treason for which there is only one solution: BRING ON THE HANGMAN!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Actually, yes I do.

https://www.usna.edu/Academics/Majors-a ... s-Core.php

https://www.usna.edu/Academics/Majors-a ... /index.php

While the majority of midshipmen will choose their majors freely, the needs of the Naval Service take precedence. For the Naval Academy Class of 2013 and beyond, at least 65% of those graduates commissioned into the U.S. Navy must complete academic majors in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics disciplines. This institutional requirement applies as well to NROTC programs at other colleges. At the end of plebe year, midshipmen choose a major course of study with counsel from academic and military advisors.

Some of these areas offer additional specialization within the major. For example, the aerospace engineering major has tracks in aeronautical engineering and astronautical engineering reflecting the Navy’s interest in atmospheric and space flight. Minors in French, German, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Arabic and Chinese are offered to those who complete four advanced courses in one of these languages while at the Academy.

Still not convinced it is a good as some think it to be.

P.S. What happened to celestial navigation instruction?

PPS Did Flynn skip this his plebe year?

Government* The following course is required:
FP130 (3-0-3). U.S. Gov't and Constitutional Development
old salt

Post by old salt »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:05 am
Actually, yes I do.

https://www.usna.edu/Academics/Majors-a ... /index.php

While the majority of midshipmen will choose their majors freely, the needs of the Naval Service take precedence. For the Naval Academy Class of 2013 and beyond, at least 65% of those graduates commissioned into the U.S. Navy must complete academic majors in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics disciplines. This institutional requirement applies as well to NROTC programs at other colleges. At the end of plebe year, midshipmen choose a major course of study with counsel from academic and military advisors.

Some of these areas offer additional specialization within the major. For example, the aerospace engineering major has tracks in aeronautical engineering and astronautical engineering reflecting the Navy’s interest in atmospheric and space flight. Minors in French, German, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Arabic and Chinese are offered to those who complete four advanced courses in one of these languages while at the Academy.

Still not convinced it is a good as some think it to be.

P.S. What happened to celestial navigation instruction?

PPS Did Flynn skip this his plebe year?

Government* The following course is required:
FP130 (3-0-3). U.S. Gov't and Constitutional Development
Here's an overview of Navy celestial nav training :
https://www.oceannavigator.com/naval-ac ... celestial/

Here's a list of USNA core courses. Note the Leadership, Ethics & Law courses which address your areas of concern.
Celestial nav is included in the advanced navigation course.
More extensive celestial nav training is included in Surface Warfare Officer School & Quartermaster A School.
https://www.militarynews.com/news/quart ... b64af.html
In practice, the ship's Navigator, Asst Navigator (on larger warships) & Quartermasters of the Watch are the only crew members necessary to maintain proficiency in celestial nav.

Service academy curricula, as well as required courses for ROTC scholarship, are tailored & updated to meet the needs of the services.

Return to “POLITICS”