TV Announcers Consternation Station

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ohmilax34

TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by ohmilax34 »

Now that there are games to watch there are announcers to complain about. Or compliment.

I'm watching the highlights of the Duke @ Furman game and the announcers pronounce Jake Seau's name as Sow (rhymes with cow) and So (rhymes with dough). They finally get his name right later. Also, J.T. Giles-Harris was called J.T. Harris-Liles. The color guy also uses the term "one-timer".

In the Lafayette @ Rutgers highlights, one of the announcers states that a Rutgers shot came from 25 yards away, when it was actually released at the 25 yard line. Of course, the goal is on the 10 yard line, so the shot actually came from 15 yards away. This was a student broadcast, but I don't know if that makes it more or less embarrassing.
CU77

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by CU77 »

Well, I would have no idea how to pronounce Seau. If the schools care about this sort of thing, they should provide pronunciation guides to the announcers. AFAIK, none of them do.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Anish Shroff out as lax PxP for espn?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

CU77 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 pm Well, I would have no idea how to pronounce Seau. If the schools care about this sort of thing, they should provide pronunciation guides to the announcers. AFAIK, none of them do.
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Jake Seau is the son of former San Diego Chargers linebacker Junior Seau who died very young. I also thought that anyone who followed football at all knew his name.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:43 am Anish Shroff out as lax PxP for espn?
No?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:49 am
CU77 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 pm Well, I would have no idea how to pronounce Seau. If the schools care about this sort of thing, they should provide pronunciation guides to the announcers. AFAIK, none of them do.
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Jake Seau is the son of former San Diego Chargers linebacker Junior Seau who died very young. I also thought that anyone who followed football at all knew his name.
maybe to old guys like us, but chances are, the announcers for duke/furman game were not even teen agers when Junior lived and played in the best state in the USA : Massachusettes.

Besides Howie Long, what other NFL legends have lax playing sons? .
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:40 am
maybe to old guys like us, but chances are, the announcers for duke/furman game were not even teen agers when Junior lived and played in the best state in the USA : Massachusettes.

This guy sounded old, not like the Rutgers game which was a BTN student broadcast.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

As we are all well aware, lacrosse is a niche sport. It's not always easy to find GOOD announcers and color commentators to do D1 games. The pool of qualified people is not very large. There isn't much incentive for former players to get into broadcasting when A) they have jobs on Wall Street waiting for them and B) lacrosse on TV is not a major industry or a very lucrative opportunity. (How many of the announcers solely cover lacrosse? The answer is zero. Even Quint and Carc are forced to cover other sports for ESPN to justify them being on the payroll.) A lot of the guys who would be good at it—current pro players and high school/college/pro coaches, are busy during the lacrosse season. They did a good job getting Zim, and maybe they should reach out to more retired coaches, but maybe they have? And maybe they're not interested? And it's even harder when a broadcast is student-run or outsourced by the network to local crews—as is the case for ESPN+ and often ACC Network Extra.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jim moras' son and grandson played at umd last year as a freshman, but maybe isn't on the roster now?
ryan curtis, former uva player, defensive poy, usa team member and then vermont head coach is mike curtis' son.
johnny unitas' kid(s?) played lax a long time ago, don't know if they went anywhere.
jim brown's son (yeah, not grandson!) was tearing it up in los angeles a couple years ago. still in high school but supposedly a vg player.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:23 am

jim moras' son and grandson played at umd last year as a freshman, but maybe isn't on the roster now?
ryan curtis, former uva player, defensive poy, usa team member and then vermont head coach is mike curtis' son.
johnny unitas' kid(s?) played lax a long time ago, don't know if they went anywhere.
jim brown's son (yeah, not grandson!) was tearing it up in los angeles a couple years ago. still in high school but supposedly a vg player.
Legendary Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Bill Bergey's (#66) son Jake was one of the top D3 players at Salisbury and went on to a successful pro career with the Philadelphia Wings and Baltimore Bayhawks.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:40 am Besides Howie Long, what other NFL legends have lax playing sons ?
John Tagliaferri 8-)

Sons Michael and Pete.
Hopefully, one more :!:
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

belichick- rutgers
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

...he also has a daughter who played and is the wlax HC at Holy Cross. She's a pretty good commentator too, have heard her do a few wlax games on TV.
https://goholycross.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... =210240578
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Colgate actually does. If you look at their on-line roster about half of the players have an ear after their name. If you put the cursor on the ear, you get a pronunciation guide, and if you click on the ear, you actually get someone speaking the name. :idea:
https://gocolgateraiders.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax
Live Free or Die!
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Denver has it as part of their weekly Media Guide

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE

Name First Name Last Name
#12 Sam Dwinell ..................................................................... Dwin-eLL
#13 Brett Boos ....................................................................... Booze
#18 Ellis Geis ..........................................................................Guice
#20 Matt Neufeldt ....................................................................New-Feld
#22 Johnny Marrocco................................................................ Marr-A-co
#23 Josh Dawick ..................................................................... Dow-wick
#25 Ty Badciong ......................................................................Bac-ion
#27 David Funes...................................................................... Few-ness
#38 Mac Tezak ....................................................................... Tee-zach
#39 Colin Squires......................................................................Rhymes with wires

I think the issue is the media ignores these helpful hints and wings it on TV. Or most likely, TV announcers only read the home team media guide.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:53 pm Now that there are games to watch there are announcers to complain about...
Quint, Carc and Anish don't seem to learn by reading what the fans are saying - call the game and stop yakking about unrelated crap.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just watched the recording of JHU and Loyola. Those 3 are absolutely horrible together and need to be separated.

Zero PxP, Carc with the metronome staccato name dropping followed by an adverb like deadly, incessant HS references to brag about a kids accolades then mention Spencer played only played JV.

Please separate them and pair them with a true PxP person.....grow the game, which includes commentators.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I agree the combination is awful. Whoever is telling them that their cute jokes about unrelated fashion, TV shows, etc. has to stop.

Or they need to listen to the fans.

I actually like all three of them when they talk about lacrosse. Carc is my favorite of the 3. But, together they are train wreck. Makes you want to turn off the volume.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Cooter wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:11 pm
Colgate actually does. If you look at their on-line roster about half of the players have an ear after their name. If you put the cursor on the ear, you get a pronunciation guide, and if you click on the ear, you actually get someone speaking the name. :idea:
https://gocolgateraiders.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax
Very cool. Cornell will probably manage to do this some time in the next 20 years or so ...
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

UNC vs JHU on ESPN/ACCNE. Where did they get these two? "attackers", "clearance". The woman sounds like she took a quaalude.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”