Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cagekeeper

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Cagekeeper »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:07 pm Nobody strong enough to make up for the loss of TO, Kennedy and Huff.
Stop. Everyone’s replaceable.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Cagekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:40 pm
Lax101 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:07 pm Nobody strong enough to make up for the loss of TO, Kennedy and Huff.
Huff? Please.
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Cletus wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:15 pm
Huff? Please.
Oop. Maybe he acquired her sister tho. I wonder if that's who his tweet was about
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

laxstan8 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:43 pm
Huff? Please.
Oop. Maybe he acquired her sister tho. I wonder if that's who his tweet was about
Do we know it’s even a transfer? Maybe it’s a stud hs player who decommited
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:10 pm
laxstan8 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:43 pm
Huff? Please.
Do we know it’s even a transfer? Maybe it’s a stud hs player who decommited
Maybe!
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

https://floridagators.com/news/2021/6/2 ... nsfer.aspx
Catherine Flaherty joins the Gators. Before Maryland: No. 13 ranked recruit by Inside Lacrosse, the highest ranked defender.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dasher wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:14 am https://floridagators.com/news/2021/6/2 ... nsfer.aspx
Catherine Flaherty joins the Gators. Before Maryland: No. 13 ranked recruit by Inside Lacrosse, the highest ranked defender.
WOW! First Schettig, now Flaherty. Think it has anything to do with Thorpe? Something is going on in Turtleland. No doubt about that.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Cletus wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:19 am
Dasher wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:14 am https://floridagators.com/news/2021/6/2 ... nsfer.aspx
WOW! First Schettig, now Flaherty. Think it has anything to do with Thorpe? Something is going on in Turtleland. No doubt about that.

Let me get this straight...you are posting about a player who left Maryland :

The rising junior comes to the Gators from the University of Maryland, where she spent her first two collegiate seasons.

Flaherty – a Manorville, N.Y. native – saw action in four games during her collegiate career as a Terrapin.

People...take notice of the last sentence. She saw action in FOUR GAMES in her collegiate career. And that was from a team that has had defensive problems for the last two years.
Lauri Kenis(Maryland Asst) is a really good coach and has run the Maryland defense a long time. If she only put this girl on the field for FOUR games over 2 seasons, does that indicate anything?
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:01 pm

The rising junior comes to the Gators from the University of Maryland, where she spent her first two collegiate seasons.

Flaherty – a Manorville, N.Y. native – saw action in four games during her collegiate career as a Terrapin.

People...take notice of the last sentence. She saw action in FOUR GAMES in her collegiate career. And that was from a team that has had defensive problems for the last two years.
Lauri Kenis(Maryland Asst) is a really good coach and has run the Maryland defense a long time. If she only put this girl on the field for FOUR games over 2 seasons, does that indicate anything?
I was just writing something similar. That team needed defensive help. MD obviously wasn't the right fit because there had to have been opportunities to break into that line up. Interesting that two top ranked defenders leave in back to back seasons.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

MD did just pick up a very good defensive middie from Albany. Who actually played against Flaherty in the NY State Class B semi in 2019.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:12 pm Interesting that two top ranked defenders leave in back to back seasons.
It is indeed.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Larry, I’m just curious, did you see my post on goaltenders playing the angle just right? If so, what did you think?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:12 pm

I was just writing something similar. That team needed defensive help. MD obviously wasn't the right fit because there had to have been opportunities to break into that line up. Interesting that two top ranked defenders leave in back to back seasons.
Schettig was a loss for Maryland, and I think her departure for Notre Dame may be explained by a desire to play with some friends from her days at the U. This departure looks like an effort at a fresh start and a chance at playing time, which didn't pan out her first two years at Maryland. My guess is that transfers are as varied as people. I don't think a couple of transfers out of a highly competitive environment suggests anything about the overall health of a program.
Laxinfordays

Post by Laxinfordays »

Yes and indicates that sometimes these coaches make poor judgment calls. Or they don’t want to admit that the people they have on the fields are the wrong people. How do you not play the top ranked defender in the entire country? Or are these lists just a bunch of BS which I’ve heard people say for years. Syracuse is a perfect example of this as well. Their second mini line was not great at best and I’m hoping that KT shakes things up a little bit and starts fresh.
Flasher ty is a great player that maybe just chose the wrong school. We shall see
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Cletus wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Larry, I’m just curious, did you see my post on goaltenders playing the angle just right? If so, what did you think?
Did not see that. Where is it at?
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Madison Rielly also transfers to UF from Maryland. She was the 21st ranked recruit in the class of 2018. https://floridagators.com/news/2021/6/2 ... nsfer.aspx
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:12 pm

I respectfully believe that this is a bad read on a rising Junior's ability vs playing time, and to be clear I don't know anything about this young lady but I wanted to share my thoughts. For example, her freshman year was a Covid shortened season (so less opportunities). Last season the BIG10 had no fall ball and limited practices before their first games, so tougher to crack a lineup. Their all BIG10 schedule didn't offer the out of conference matchups that enable younger players to get looks in less pressure filled situations. Additionally, Defense substitutions are different. On every team it's done significantly less than Middies and Attackers. MD doesn't sub much to begin with. If you check their box scores in some games it's as few as three subs. But Defense at this level is UNIT DEFENSE and that's often too tough for underclassmen to crack lineups or displace upperclassmen immediately. Offensive players have more ability to run plays and be creative. Think Offensive line vs. Defensive line play. O-line just more technical. You can be a great athlete and not fit into a zone or backer d play immediately if you grew up playing man to man. Even on a team with defensive problems, schemes are schemes. MD notably did start a Freshman on D in their final game, but we don't know if there were any nagging, non season ending injuries that came into play..etc. etc. In summary...give her a chance.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Wasn't intended to say anything disparaging or negative about her ability or character. I've seen her play in person and was impressed. I said it wasn't the right fit for whatever reason. IF playing time was the reason she looked elsewhere she absolutely has that right. Tons of factors go into a team/school being where you want to be.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Laxinfordays wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 pm How do you not play the top ranked defender in the entire country? Or are these lists just a bunch of BS which I’ve heard people say for years.
Yep. That's the one.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxinfordays wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Yes and indicates that sometimes these coaches make poor judgment calls. Or they don’t want to admit that the people they have on the fields are the wrong people. How do you not play the top ranked defender in the entire country? Or are these lists just a bunch of BS which I’ve heard people say for years. Syracuse is a perfect example of this as well. Their second mini line was not great at best and I’m hoping that KT shakes things up a little bit and starts fresh.
Flasher ty is a great player that maybe just chose the wrong school. We shall see
Could it be, perhaps, that highly touted players just don’t produce in practice? While Syracuse's second middie line, according to you, wasn’t great but those players were producing in practice? Those rankings to me are little more than fodder for people to yap about. So count me in the pool of people who think those lists are worth exactly what the paper costs to print them.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”