Virginia Lacrosse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
uvaumdlaxfam

Virginia Lacrosse 2022

Post by uvaumdlaxfam »

Let's get this party started! Three-peat would be awesome. Anyone got any inklings of Quinn, Maher, Harmeyer, Tygh, etc., or any transfers coming in?
blue angels

Re: Virginia Lacrosse 2022

Post by blue angels »

uvaumdlaxfam wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:06 pm Let's get this party started! Three-peat would be awesome. Anyone got any inklings of Quinn, Maher, Harmeyer, Tygh, etc., or any transfers coming in?
If Lars goes to the portal at all, it will be sparingly as there is returning talent all over the roster as long as they stay healthy. Perhaps a midfielder and/or a face off man are possibilities……Quinn, Tygh and the others never saw the field during our tournament run so were at the back of the roster by the end of 21 anyway. That isn’t to say they couldn’t be in the rotation going forward, but looking for playing time is understandable.
uvaumdlaxfam

Post by uvaumdlaxfam »

blue angels wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:13 pm
uvaumdlaxfam wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:06 pm Let's get this party started! Three-peat would be awesome. Anyone got any inklings of Quinn, Maher, Harmeyer, Tygh, etc., or any transfers coming in?
If Lars goes to the portal at all, it will be sparingly as there is returning talent all over the roster as long as they stay healthy. Perhaps a midfielder and/or a face off man are possibilities……Quinn, Tygh and the others never saw the field during our tournament run so were at the back of the roster by the end of 21 anyway. That isn’t to say they couldn’t be in the rotation going forward, but looking for playing time is understandable.
Makes sense. Clearly minimizing the number of transfers into the team's culture proved pretty successful for us over other teams (Duke)
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Last edited by Tdemling6 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

uvaumdlaxfam wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 pm
blue angels wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:13 pm
Makes sense. Clearly minimizing the number of transfers into the team's culture proved pretty successful for us over other teams (Duke)
Hopefully Lars can parlay that into a recruiting advantage vis-a-vis Duke. A culture where wholesale change of the team dynamic can happen via the portal sounds less than appealing to me. .... that and the back-to-back Natty's.... 8-) :D
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

UVA's portal business is an interesting question. Maintaining team chemistry, whatever that is ultimately, is only just part. As mentioned, being deep in talent is also another factor. Lets remember the tourny most outstanding player was an addition to the team since the first championship. While he was not a portal add and was part of the team chemistry so to speak, he is also a good lesson at not standing pat.

Besides the "what do we need" question,

1. Who red shirted this last year?
2. Who did we lose that played a significant role(s)? (My list starts and stops at Jared Conners)
3. Who is red shirting this year?
uvaumdlaxfam

Post by uvaumdlaxfam »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:15 pm UVA's portal business is an interesting question. Maintaining team chemistry, whatever that is ultimately, is only just part. As mentioned, being deep in talent is also another factor. Lets remember the tourny most outstanding player was an addition to the team since the first championship. While he was not a portal add and was part of the team chemistry so to speak, he is also a good lesson at not standing pat.

Besides the "what do we need" question,

1. Who red shirted this last year?
2. Who did we lose that played a significant role(s)? (My list starts and stops at Jared Conners)
3. Who is red shirting this year?
1. My guess is that Bienkowski and Danny Parker would get medical redshirts, along with Walshe.
2. We lose Jared of course, but Dox, Bertrand, Laviano, Kology, and unsure about Fox and Rode. Seems like a pretty big chunk of midfield depth.
3. No clue how we would know that already
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seems to me the least impact on any team's culture would be work horse midfielders. Tend to be easy to fit in if a guy is great on GB's, clearing, defensive play etc...if he can go the cage too all the better, but what teams generally need is more GB's not more shooters.

Analogy: As a young college grad I played Bball in the urban church parking lot, only white guy on the court, amongst a bunch of past and future college players and could have beens...ex wrestler, couldn't jump, couldn't shoot. But after many weeks of patience, I began to get selected as the 5th guy as somehow the teams I was on would win and stay on and on...I hustled 100%, played hard D, boxed out hard on rebounds, passed well, and set a hard pick...only needed 4 guys to shoot not 5. Eventually that became recognized. Called me Rambis.

Maybe a FOGO because so critical to have a healthy one-two punch. Maybe an LSM because an extra guy who can disrupt and run the field is usually easily incorporated.

Goalies could theoretically be important (I think it's probably the highest single impact position) but unless there's a gaping hole, very tough on team culture if not 'next man up' given so little playing time for back-ups as it is. My son had considered doing a 5th year before his third concussion put him out of the game for good, but his attitude was to come to a team as an ostensible back-up, be a good team mate to the starter, but with proven capability to step into tough situations and turn games around, rather than come as a #1...coming in as the #1 means two or three or more other guys who had been recruited need to sit again...bad for culture.

Close D and attack tend to be guys who never come off the field and there's usually under class men who are capable of stepping in. So, similar dynamic. It can work if the player is truly special, but certainly going to be a cost to culture.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm Seems to me the least impact on any team's culture would be work horse midfielders. Tend to be easy to fit in if a guy is great on GB's, clearing, defensive play etc...if he can go the cage too all the better, but what teams generally need is more GB's not more shooters.

Analogy: As a young college grad I played Bball in the urban church parking lot, only white guy on the court, amongst a bunch of past and future college players and could have beens...ex wrestler, couldn't jump, couldn't shoot. But after many weeks of patience, I began to get selected as the 5th guy as somehow the teams I was on would win and stay on and on...I hustled 100%, played hard D, boxed out hard on rebounds, passed well, and set a hard pick...only needed 4 guys to shoot not 5. Eventually that became recognized. Called me Rambis.

Maybe a FOGO because so critical to have a healthy one-two punch. Maybe an LSM because an extra guy who can disrupt and run the field is usually easily incorporated.

Goalies could theoretically be important (I think it's probably the highest single impact position) but unless there's a gaping hole, very tough on team culture if not 'next man up' given so little playing time for back-ups as it is. My son had considered doing a 5th year before his third concussion put him out of the game for good, but his attitude was to come to a team as an ostensible back-up, be a good team mate to the starter, but with proven capability to step into tough situations and turn games around, rather than come as a #1...coming in as the #1 means two or three or more other guys who had been recruited need to sit again...bad for culture.

Close D and attack tend to be guys who never come off the field and there's usually under class men who are capable of stepping in. So, similar dynamic. It can work if the player is truly special, but certainly going to be a cost to culture.
You sound like a guy I would take with my 5th pick. It kept me on the court!! He hustled like a fiend and made “winning plays”… he wasn’t much of a basketball player but he rebounded and hustled. He was my secret weapon…. He would sometimes play in his work shirt with his name patch! Me and my buddies still talk about him. He was one of 2 guys that I would choose with 4th and 5th picks. The other was a better basketball player and had a knack for winning.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:47 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm Seems to me the least impact on any team's culture would be work horse midfielders. Tend to be easy to fit in if a guy is great on GB's, clearing, defensive play etc...if he can go the cage too all the better, but what teams generally need is more GB's not more shooters.

You sound like a guy I would take with my 5th pick. It kept me on the court!! He hustled like a fiend and made “winning plays”… he wasn’t much of a basketball player but he rebounded and hustled. He was my secret weapon…. He would sometimes play in his work shirt with his name patch! Me and my buddies still talk about him. He was one of 2 guys that I would choose with 4th and 5th picks. The other was a better basketball player and had a knack for winning.
Yup, if the objective is to 'stay on' rather than getting everyone to say 'ooh' when you hit an outside jump shot, the other skills (and willingness) eventually get noticed by those who understand the whole game. And for the guys who liked to shoot and get that 'ooh', setting a hard pick for them gets the nod or the high five down the court.

And I couldn't rebound worth a darn either, but I could box out and let my team mate go up and get the ball...I wasn't be 'selfless', I was being 'selfish'...I wanted to stay on and keep playing...and to get picked the next time.

I was almost never picked higher than 5 though.
OK by me! As long as I got to play, and the dynamic was right, I was happy.

Thus the analogy.
Gotta have those first "four" 'shooters' but that "fifth guy" can be the difference in beating the other team's 5. And no one resents the 5th guy...

The other aspect of the analogy, when a guy is playing hard D, setting hard picks, passing to the open man, (in lax battling for that GB, taking the man) etc somehow others are willing to do more as well...it's infectious...culture.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

my personal preference is for shellenberger to play another year as a hybrid that bounces between att and mid with cormier before they both become fixtures at attack in '23.

not sure that's in the cards, but if there's a laviano clone that could weave in and out of the formation, finish... that could be a more permanent "starter" and help as that 5th guy, then their offense can pick up where they left off.

shellenberger gets some mismatches, an alpha is at mid as another one maybe develops.
uvaumdlaxfam

Post by uvaumdlaxfam »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:50 pm my personal preference is for shellenberger to play another year as a hybrid that bounces between att and mid with cormier before they both become fixtures at attack in '23.

not sure that's in the cards, but if there's a laviano clone that could weave in and out of the formation, finish... that could be a more permanent "starter" and help as that 5th guy, then their offense can pick up where they left off.

shellenberger gets some mismatches, an alpha is at mid as another one maybe develops.
Personally saw some good flashes from Pat McIntosh, #18. Sweet stick skills and finishing ability, shot 100% on the year, albeit only 3 goals. Saw real minutes early in the season before an injury
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

uvaumdlaxfam wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:50 pm my personal preference is for shellenberger to play another year as a hybrid that bounces between att and mid with cormier before they both become fixtures at attack in '23.

Personally saw some good flashes from Pat McIntosh, #18. Sweet stick skills and finishing ability, shot 100% on the year, albeit only 3 goals. Saw real minutes early in the season before an injury
We need someone like him to develop - I really think that is the gap that I don't know how we fill for next years team. The player could be on the roster (like perhaps McIntosh) and we/I just haven't seen him yet. But all I get to see is what is on tv.

ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:08 am

We need someone like him to develop - I really think that is the gap that I don't know how we fill for next years team. The player could be on the roster (like perhaps McIntosh) and we/I just haven't seen him yet. But all I get to see is what is on tv.
I think your team is bringing in some really good attackmen in the fall. McIntosh might be a good option too.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:01 pm
HooDat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:08 am

I think your team is bringing in some really good attackmen in the fall. McIntosh might be a good option too.
I forgot about Cormier, he's already proven he's ready to fill part of that role

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Cool old program from UVA/Oxford-Cambridge scrimmage.

Program details the scrimmage would be played using UK rules. Similar positions/rules to the women’s game.

No substitutes…and some good uva lax history written up…

:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Oxford-Ca ... 890.l49286

And another…to help fundraisers to send the cavaliers to England!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Universit ... 890.l49286
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:21 am Cool old program from UVA/Oxford-Cambridge scrimmage.

Program details the scrimmage would be played using UK rules. Similar positions/rules to the women’s game.

No substitutes…and some good uva lax history written up…

:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Oxford-Ca ... 890.l49286

And another…to help fundraisers to send the cavaliers to England!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Universit ... 890.l49286
Terrific!

My dad, Bo Moore, has nice picture on the second page of the second listing, as captain along with Coach Fewster. I don't see his signature on the first one, which was surprising, as both my godfathers are on there as well as all those other good friends of his with whom I grew up.

Yes, they played without hitting...had a great time. Cool experience.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

If Alex Rode and Petey LaSalla stay healthy -- as the "X factors" that take UVA's talent-deep roster to a point of domination come tournament time -- there's no reason they can't go for an unprecedented-in-modern-times threepeat. Cold statistics say you would still "bet the field" to win the 2022 championship given the other key contenders like Maryland and Duke. who will return strength upon strength, but the UVA coaching staff's ability to ride out early season bumps and develop players in season is really impressive. And I think it will take the Ivies until the COVID 5th years have expired to rejoin the ranks of the championship aspirants, so it will be a smaller group of contenders vying for the title.
uvaumdlaxfam

Post by uvaumdlaxfam »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:37 pm If Alex Rode and Petey LaSalla stay healthy -- as the "X factors" that take UVA's talent-deep roster to a point of domination come tournament time -- there's no reason they can't go for an unprecedented-in-modern-times threepeat. Cold statistics say you would still "bet the field" to win the 2022 championship given the other key contenders like Maryland and Duke. who will return strength upon strength, but the UVA coaching staff's ability to ride out early season bumps and develop players in season is really impressive. And I think it will take the Ivies until the COVID 5th years have expired to rejoin the ranks of the championship aspirants, so it will be a smaller group of contenders vying for the title.
Do we even know if Rode is coming back?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

uvaumdlaxfam wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:47 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:37 pm If Alex Rode and Petey LaSalla stay healthy -- as the "X factors" that take UVA's talent-deep roster to a point of domination come tournament time -- there's no reason they can't go for an unprecedented-in-modern-times threepeat. Cold statistics say you would still "bet the field" to win the 2022 championship given the other key contenders like Maryland and Duke. who will return strength upon strength, but the UVA coaching staff's ability to ride out early season bumps and develop players in season is really impressive. And I think it will take the Ivies until the COVID 5th years have expired to rejoin the ranks of the championship aspirants, so it will be a smaller group of contenders vying for the title.
Do we even know if Rode is coming back?
That's a very good point -- I was making an assumption that he would stay on for 2022 but I haven't seen anything on this one way or the other. I know they like Gavin but Rode truly has been such a difference-maker.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”