Syracuse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Syracuse

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:42 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:54 am Oooooo—that’s compelling. Which part of the team slacked or checked out mentally? Ever since I heard Cara Trombetta talk about players who check out mentally when the Tourney starts I can’t help but think that is often a factor when teams with high expectations fail to deliver.
Where did you see this? I'd like to hear it if I can find it.
Further back in this thread.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:41 am
DMac wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:14 am
Cletus wrote
"I look forward to winning a national championship with my 2022 team."

--Samantha Swart
What is it you don't get about this? The commitment, dedication, hard work, sacrifice, and daring to dream big and shoot for the stars by a player/team/coach to make this their objective? This girl was sitting in the penalty box in tears as the clock wound down to zeros and her team came up short in the NC game. She wants to fix that. What's hard to understand there? How many coaches and players have you heard say their objective is to win the NC? What did Wurzburger say her objective was when she decided to go to UNC? If you don't think, practice, and play like a NC you'll never become one. It doesn't guarantee a NC but not dreaming and shooting for it guarantees you won't ever be one.
Agreed. I can almost guarantee you that nobody talked more internally about winning a NC this season than BC and probably Charlotte North specifically.
You betchya....I'd bet there was talk about it at Stony Brook too.

Okay Cletus, I carefully re-read it and come up with the same interpretation. Maybe you can walk it back now and explain it to me. Put Paul and Gary Gait on your list of ones who predicted NCs and won them. After getting beat by Hopkins in the 87 NC game they both went to Coach Simmons and apologized for not bringing home the title and promised him that would never happen again while they were there. Prediction X3...the banners hang from the rafters in the Dome.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 am Okay Cletus, I carefully re-read it and come up with the same interpretation. Maybe you can walk it back now and explain it to me. Put Paul and Gary Gait on your list of ones who predicted NCs and won them. After getting beat by Hopkins in the 87 NC game they both went to Coach Simmons and apologized for not bringing home the title and promised him that would never happen again while they were there. Prediction X3...the banners hang from the rafters in the Dome.
If the prosecution was using my original post against me and I hired seacoaster as counsel for the defense, he would easily be able to say to the judge, “Your Honor, I move that the charges be dismissed due to lack of evidence.” I very clearly used a qualifier—twice. I also included a qualifiying phrase. I can’t tell you how to interpret my post, but I can assure you that the conclusions you reached we’re outside what I wrote.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 am
You cannot excuse coaching from the equation and I am more like likely to roll out this little gem in this case: a fish rots from the head.
Good point, watcher. I’m in full agreement.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:18 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:06 am
Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am They lost by 1 in the national semi-finals. It happens in sports.

Ball bounces a different way a couple of times and the score turns out differently.
That’s a little misleading. BC had a 5 goal lead halfway through the 2nd half. Carolina scored a garbage goal with one second left.
Ok. They scored with a second left. Might suggest they were working hard right to the end?
Maybe— but whether they worked hard or not was not my contention. I will say this though, they were certainly out worked by BC.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:53 am
Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:18 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:06 am
Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am They lost by 1 in the national semi-finals. It happens in sports.

Ball bounces a different way a couple of times and the score turns out differently.
That’s a little misleading. BC had a 5 goal lead halfway through the 2nd half. Carolina scored a garbage goal with one second left.
Ok. They scored with a second left. Might suggest they were working hard right to the end?
Maybe— but whether they worked hard or not was not my contention. I will say this though, they were certainly out worked by BC.
If you take the GB stat as a measure of "work" then marginally......BC by 2 over UNC. But then again UNC had 9 more DC's than BC...so they got "outworked" on the circle. In my opinion BC did not "outwork" UNC, they had a better day in a game between two evenly matched teams.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nobody got outworked, this is the kind of sports talk you get from people who are not on the field sucking wind, sweating and bleeding. BC's red hot GK had three more saves than UNC's. Hard fought game by both teams, some days you win and some days you lose and if/when you lose it doesn't mean you got outworked, but sports talk critics like to use that kind of hyperbole when typing on their keyboards from their comfy little critic's room. Fill the peanut bowl and get me a beer, I've got some critiquing to do.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:26 pm If you take the GB stat as a measure of "work" then marginally......BC by 2 over UNC. But then again UNC had 9 more DC's than BC...so they got "outworked" on the circle. In my opinion BC did not "outwork" UNC, they had a better day in a game between two evenly matched teams.
I think Sydney Scales outworked everybody she covered. I think Hall outworked Moreno. I think the BC offense outworked the Carolina offense. The Tar Heels missed a ton of shots by firing wide whereas BC made their shots count. That’s how I saw the game.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:42 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:54 am Oooooo—that’s compelling. Which part of the team slacked or checked out mentally? Ever since I heard Cara Trombetta talk about players who check out mentally when the Tourney starts I can’t help but think that is often a factor when teams with high expectations fail to deliver.
Where did you see this? I'd like to hear it if I can find it.
09A2139F-78D8-433E-9FAB-2063F127CEDE.jpeg
09A2139F-78D8-433E-9FAB-2063F127CEDE.jpeg (221.69 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

DMac wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:46 pm Nobody got outworked, this is the kind of sports talk you get from people who are not on the field sucking wind, sweating and bleeding. BC's red hot GK had three more saves than UNC's. Hard fought game by both teams, some days you win and some days you lose and if/when you lose it doesn't mean you got outworked, but sports talk critics like to use that kind of hyperbole when typing on their keyboards from their comfy little critic's room. Fill the peanut bowl and get me a beer, I've got some critiquing to do.
Dmac - it appears that some may have forgotten that the championship game was a Ortega pipe shot away from having a different outcome. Arguing with sports radio fans who have never played the game, or even competed in sports is a fools errand. Their "knowledge" is based on snippets from various websites and box scores, thus a complete lack of appreciation on what actually happens on the field.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm who have never played the game, or even competed in sports
I have competed in baseball, football, basketball, street hockey, softball and tennis my whole life until recently when my knees wouldn’t allow me to play anymore.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:30 pm
8meterPA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm who have never played the game, or even competed in sports
I have competed in baseball, football, basketball, street hockey, softball and tennis my whole life until recently when my knees wouldn’t allow me to play anymore.
Looks like I'm pretty good at this trolling thing!!

btw, Nintendo doesn't count
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:10 pm
Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:26 pm If you take the GB stat as a measure of "work" then marginally......BC by 2 over UNC. But then again UNC had 9 more DC's than BC...so they got "outworked" on the circle. In my opinion BC did not "outwork" UNC, they had a better day in a game between two evenly matched teams.
I think Sydney Scales outworked everybody she covered. I think Hall outworked Moreno. I think the BC offense outworked the Carolina offense. The Tar Heels missed a ton of shots by firing wide whereas BC made their shots count. That’s how I saw the game.
Outworked is simplistic vision of what happened. BC deserved to win. They played a better game, lets get that right out of the way there. But to claim this was due to them outworking UNC?

Define outworked as working harder, faster or better. I define outwork in the context of sport as effort. If you want to say they outworked UNC because they were better then you can have that. I just do not see one team working harder than the other in this case. The statistics point in that direction. GB's are about the same. TO's about the same. CT's more for BC but they got the short end of the stick in DC's. Clears? Yup about the same. I think Scales had a great day. Did she outwork Ortega? I think you can make a good case for that. How did Hall outwork Moreno? She did have 3 more saves so if you are using better then ok, but again, that is not how I see the term outworked.

In two evenly matched teams BC played a cleaner game. They shot better and deserved the win. I saw two teams giving everything they had.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm it appears that some may have forgotten that the championship game was a Ortega pipe shot away from having a different outcome.
That's speaks to Hall's excellence as a goalie. She played the angle so well, all she left Ortega was the pipe.
Last edited by Cletus on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:03 pm
Outworked is simplistic vision of what happened. BC deserved to win. They played a better game, lets get that right out of the way there. But to claim this was due to them outworking UNC?

Define outworked as working harder, faster or better. I define outwork in the context of sport as effort. If you want to say they outworked UNC because they were better then you can have that. I just do not see one team working harder than the other in this case. The statistics point in that direction. GB's are about the same. TO's about the same. CT's more for BC but they got the short end of the stick in DC's. Clears? Yup about the same. I think Scales had a great day. Did she outwork Ortega? I think you can make a good case for that. How did Hall outwork Moreno? She did have 3 more saves so if you are using better then ok, but again, that is not how I see the term outworked.

In two evenly matched teams BC played a cleaner game. They shot better and deserved the win. I saw two teams giving everything they had.
Ultimately, Carolina underachieved. Or for those who don't like softsoap--they choked, just like they have in the past in the postseason. They were the best team on the planet for a year and a half and when they got to the big stage--they couldn't finish. BC took the game to NC all game--on offense, defense and goaltending. I said on multiple occasions over the last two years that the choke bug could still rise up to bite Carolina on their tarry heels--and that's exactly what happened.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm
8meterPA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm it appears that some may have forgotten that the championship game was a Ortega pipe shot away from having a different outcome.
That's speaks to Hall's excellence as a goalie. She played the angle so well, all she left Ortega was the pipe.

Stop it! Hall is NOT an excellent goalie. She's 69th in rankings with a Sv. Pct. just over 40(.402). In no athletic world(other than Baseball) does that equal excellence. HOWEVER, if you want to lower the standards for female goalies(at best, that's sexist. At worst, it's a cute way of saying "that's how girls play"), then you just did.
Rachel Hall had two good games...and they happen to come in the Final Four and the Final, thus her team won their first National Championship. Good for her and her team, but that doesn't make her great.

Wanna argue with me? Go look up her individual stats this season and tell me I know nothing.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:02 pm
Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Ultimately, Carolina underachieved. Or for those who don't like softsoap--they choked, just like they have in the past in the postseason. They were the best team on the planet for a year and a half and when they got to the big stage--they couldn't finish. BC took the game to NC all game--on offense, defense and goaltending. I said on multiple occasions over the last two years that the choke bug could still rise up to bite Carolina on their tarry heels--and that's exactly what happened.
Choked? Only if you thought they were invincible, which I did not. Choking would suggest that they got beat by a far inferior team, which BC is definitely not. This is exactly what sports talk phenomena likes to do, tout and build up a team/player just to tear them down at a later date.

If you ask any kid/coach on that team if they thought they underachieved I bet 100% would say yes. I bet you would get the same response from the players/coaches from both Syracuse and Northwestern. There can be only 1 champion, everyone else there underachieves.

When you said that BC took it to UNC all game you meant like in the first 12 minutes when UNC was up 4-2? Or over the second half when BC was outscored 5-3 or 4-3 if you continue to discount the two women down goal with 1 second left. Or was it the dominant defensive plan to give up 9 more shots to UNC over the game with UNC having two more on goal? Or on the draw circle where they gave up 9 more than UNC?

I don't believe I am defending UNC. I was rooting for BC.
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:56 pm
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:30 pm
Looks like I'm pretty good at this trolling thing!!
You are learning fast. Do you have a role model? :lol:
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm
Stop it! Hall is NOT an excellent goalie. She's 69th in rankings with a Sv. Pct. just over 40(.402). In no athletic world(other than Baseball) does that equal excellence. HOWEVER, if you want to lower the standards for female goalies(at best, that's sexist. At worst, it's a cute way of saying "that's how girls play"), then you just did.
Rachel Hall had two good games...and they happen to come in the Final Four and the Final, thus her team won their first National Championship. Good for her and her team, but that doesn't make her great.

Wanna argue with me? Go look up her individual stats this season and tell me I know nothing.
It was a joke, Larry. You never heard that one before? In NHL circles it's a funny thing to say anytime a player hits the post. It works just as well in lacrosse.

Lighten up, m'boy! You gotta get a little fun outta life!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm Wanna argue with me?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”