Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jerseyjames

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by jerseyjames »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:03 am
jerseyjames wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:12 pm
jerseyjames wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:27 pm One thing in reading all the transfers list and where everyone is going (everyone seems to be transferring up), that coupled with the later recruiting cycle where it is harder to miss on recruits, will there ever be a non blue chip program to win a NC again? The rich constantly are get richer
Eh I see:

Albany to Pace
Drexel to MSM
Duke to Nova
PSU to Tampa
Hofstra to Wagner
Hopkins to Nova
Marquette to FL Tech
Maryland to Towson
UNC to OSU isn’t lateral by any stretch
OSU to Hofstra
OSU to Tampa
Towson to Utah
UMass to Marquette
There's also:
Bucknell to ND
Colgate to ND
Cornell to Maryland
Lehigh to ND
Marist to Duke
Monmouth to Nova
MSM to Hofstra
MSM to Rutgers
Providence to Rutgers
Richmond to ND
Scared Heart to UMass
VMI to St. Joes
You said “all”
Fair, poor wording on my part but I believe my point still remains the same, the rich are going to keep getting richer. Obviously the portal goes both ways but its probably safe to assume that if someone is leaving Hofstra to go to Wagner he saw the writing on the wall that he isn't Hofstra level and the staff at Hofstra isn't too upset by the departure where someone going from Colgate to ND was a high impact player for Colgate and someone the staff would have wanted back.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Toss out ivies which won’t allow a 5th in general and look at liberal arts to university and breadth of grad programs and it changes the perception quite a bit. Eric Holden and Justin Scott wanted to remain at Hobart last year but Holden had a job offer and no grad option in geneva while Scott we had admin issues keeping his visa in place which UDel had the resources to handle. At Joe’s picking up a VMI kid or Lilberg going to UMass while he was on absolutely atrocious teams in 2020 and 2021 isn’t much. Similar w MSM kids good but not meaningful. Suddenly that list of transferring up thins out tremendously and is allocated to 1-2 schools (Rutgers and ND basically)

Wayy too early to draw any conclusions.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Blackdoglax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 am Is it fair to say if you had 3 starters or more from the transfer portal that would make you a big user? Just curious?
That would equate to 30% of your starting line up made up of mercenaries over your existing roster. So yes, it’s fair to say…….
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

Good point but the Ivy League is not improving. I think if your school has a really good graduate program that players can get in that you can improve see Fuqua at Duke but not Michigan for some reason?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am
Blackdoglax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 am Is it fair to say if you had 3 starters or more from the transfer portal that would make you a big user? Just curious?
I would say 3 starters makes you a team that works the transfer portal. Duke had 2 starters. Did Denver have 3? TD split time as a starter. I believe ND had 3 at least? 2 starters isn’t heavily using the portal? Last year was an anomaly in my mind….I want to see who are frequent users of the portal over the next few seasons. Part of my needle is that we all tend to exaggerate….Duke took a lot of arrows and it was only 2 starters Sowers and Adler but I could he wrong…..Rutgers and ND are all in this season it seems. BTW, Maryland has been historically a strategic user of the transfer wire. Tillman seems to use it annually to fill holes. Not sure how active they are now. My guess is he is going to stick to his formula.
I think Duke took the arrows because the two were first team and third team AAs.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

Cuse traditionally took transfers too.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am
I would say 3 starters makes you a team that works the transfer portal. Duke had 2 starters. Did Denver have 3? TD split time as a starter. I believe ND had 3 at least? 2 starters isn’t heavily using the portal? Last year was an anomaly in my mind….I want to see who are frequent users of the portal over the next few seasons. Part of my needle is that we all tend to exaggerate….Duke took a lot of arrows and it was only 2 starters Sowers and Adler but I could he wrong…..Rutgers and ND are all in this season it seems. BTW, Maryland has been historically a strategic user of the transfer wire. Tillman seems to use it annually to fill holes. Not sure how active they are now. My guess is he is going to stick to his formula.
I think Duke took the arrows because the two were first team and third team AAs.
Yes. I also believe people were conflating graduate students on Duke’s roster with transfers. Duke seems to often have 1 or 2 transfers. 3 impact players is really working the wire. Some may argue 1 is, if that player is 1st team AA quality.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

I also think you have to look beyond just transfer starters. If the transfers are in the regular rotation, they are taking playing time away from some existing players on the roster…….I think Duke had a lot more than just the 2 transfers in their rotation. I guess the positive is that kids are leveraging lacrosse into getting an extra year of Grad school …..That wasn’t true at every program but was for many at Duke, Virginia and UNC, and others
Last edited by blue angels on Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

blue angels wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:56 am
That would equate to 30% of your starting line up made up of mercenaries over your existing roster. So yes, it’s fair to say…….
Can you identify the players who are mercenaries?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:09 am
I also think you have to look beyond just transfer starters. If the transfers are in the regular rotation, they are taking playing time away from some existing players on the roster…….I think Duke had a lot more than just the 2 transfers in their rotation. I guess the positive is that kids are leveraging lacrosse into getting an extra year of Grad school …..That wasn’t true at every program but was for many at Duke, Virginia and UNC, and others
Are SSDM and LSM bench players? If you had to guess, who were the other transfers in Duke’s rotation?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Donville, a FOGO, and perhaps an experienced pole for depth. That'd be my guess.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am BTW, Maryland has been historically a strategic user of the transfer wire.
Really dating myself here but I know in the 70's we used to joke about Maryland using Navy as a farm club. They would recruit Plebes and youngsters (freshmen and sophmores) that were starting to make a name for themselves before they set foot into their first classroom junior year and incurred an obligation.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Why a Duke/ Danowski or Maryland/Tillman needs to resort to the transfer portal is beyond me since they already have recruiting advantages and tend to annually haul in top classes year in, year out.

Telling me those respective staffs cant develop their 4-5 star recruits and compete on that basis for a championship? Watching damn good players getting displaced is a disgrace

Same to a varying degrees for ND, Denver and Rutgers in that order who went heavy.

Pleased that UVA won again without resorting to acquiring several transfers.

True challenge of competition is selecting and developing your own, not picking up number of players developed by others.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 pm Why a Duke/ Danowski or Maryland/Tillman needs to resort to the transfer portal is beyond me since they already have recruiting advantages and tend to annually haul in top classes year in, year out.

Telling me those respective staffs cant develop their 4-5 star recruits and compete on that basis for a championship? Watching damn good players getting displaced is a disgrace

Same to a varying degrees for ND, Denver and Rutgers in that order who went heavy.

True challenge of competition is selecting and developing your own, not picking up number of players developed by others.
Bertrand was more impactful as a transfer last year for Virginia than Brown or Holden were for Maryland. He was a starter for long stretches. Virginia was interested in Sowers last year and Gray visited Virginia when he was transferring in 2019.

All these coaches are interested in improving their rosters in any way they can.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Scanlan nearly went to UVA too. According to IL, Virginia was at one point the "front-runner" to land him.

Who knows what other players Tiffany went after, only for them to choose a different destination. The Hoos clearly didn't need any more help this year, but I don't think we should assume Tiffany is above the whole fray just because they ultimately only brought in one guy. That doesn't necessarily mean they didn't try to get others. Same story with UNC.

I'm moderately intrigued about why the Donville to Maryland news hasn't officially come out yet. If it's been such a done deal for awhile now, why hasn't someone reported it? Or why hasn't anyone acknowledged it via social media? Not saying the rumor was unfounded, just curious why that one still seems to be lingering.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:08 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 pm Why a Duke/ Danowski or Maryland/Tillman needs to resort to the transfer portal is beyond me since they already have recruiting advantages and tend to annually haul in top classes year in, year out.

Bertrand was more impactful as a transfer last year for Virginia than Brown or Holden were for Maryland. He was a starter for long stretches. Virginia was interested in Sowers last year and Gray visited Virginia when he was transferring in 2019.

All these coaches are interested in improving their rosters in any way they can.

So? No sheet. Tell me how many did UVA bring in ???? Was it one, three , five or seven? UVA effort to land any player that went elsewhere would have likely precluded another joining if the former had chosen UVA n fyi Scanlan was never a serious pursuit for them, convo is just that . .....Say same with UNC , had interest in player that many did but they limited their additions and relied mostly on their own recruits and developing them.

Already seen two vampires return for my blood n listening to the shopping lists of some is quite nauseating. Should be plenty of 3rd and 4th year players on lead squads to pass the mantel to instead of reverting to portal for numbers
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

So acquiring an all-american transfer in Bertrand is ok and fair, but that's the limit! Is having the #1 recruit in Ryan Conrad followed by the #1 recruit Shellenberger true to the challenge of competition (playing alongside #2 recruit Dox Aitken plus #1 midfielder Matt Moore)?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

keno in reno wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:48 pm

So acquiring an all-american transfer in Bertrand is ok and fair, but that's the limit! Is having the #1 recruit in Ryan Conrad followed by the #1 recruit Shellenberger true to the challenge of competition (playing alongside #2 recruit Dox Aitken plus #1 midfielder Matt Moore)?
Exactly. Thanks for reinforcing my point about the inherent recruiting advantage that Duke and Maryland share with UVA . There should be no need to bring in several and displaced what you've recruited and should have developed.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 pm Scanlan nearly went to UVA too. According to IL, Virginia was at one point the "front-runner" to land him.

Who knows what other players Tiffany went after, only for them to choose a different destination. The Hoos clearly didn't need any more help this year, but I don't think we should assume Tiffany is above the whole fray just because they ultimately only brought in one guy. That doesn't necessarily mean they didn't try to get others. Same story with UNC.

I'm moderately intrigued about why the Donville to Maryland news hasn't officially come out yet. If it's been such a done deal for awhile now, why hasn't someone reported it? Or why hasn't anyone acknowledged it via social media? Not saying the rumor was unfounded, just curious why that one still seems to be lingering.
Guessing Donville may just be waiting for official admission?? Not sure, believe there is at least one more transfer headed to Maryland that is waiting for the final details before going public
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:51 pm
keno in reno wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Exactly. Thanks for reinforcing my point about the inherent recruiting advantage that Duke and Maryland share with UVA . There should be no need to bring in several and displaced what you've recruited and should have developed.
I just can’t disagree more here. The Terps lost Avanzato (One of Towson’s leading scorers) and Pallonetti (SB leading scorer) not because they couldn’t play but b/c we had a log jam of talent. There are only 20 guys that play most of the minutes. It’s more like they leave for greener pastures / playing time and we fill a hole/ depth when they depart. It’s essentially a trade. Most would call that great roster management. How do you “develop” Pallonetti to overtake Logan W? He was going to have to watch him….

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”