Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by Laxgunea »

I've got to agree. Man up and shooting % must improve. But those are obvious. It is the defensive system that will determine where we stand in may 2022.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:00 pm I've got to agree. Man up and shooting % must improve. But those are obvious. It is the defensive system that will determine where we stand in may 2022.
After watching Bryant's poles this season, it became very apparent that with the exception of a few, our poles were not comfortable/able to handle the ball under any kind of pressure. This lead to some very untimely turnovers. Plenty of work to do in summer league and the fall.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Don't know the rules but, the defensive player, is he required to use the long pole? Can the pole be cut to a more comfortable length for better control?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

He's not required to have a long pole. But these guys are plenty comfortable with them. Many have played with them for six years or more before college. They are a great advantage to the defensive player because of the distance they create. But I do think there is a limit to the number of poles on the field. I think it is 4. I played before the LSM was a position!
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

shoothi wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:15 am looking at those stats:
its the defense; attitude, toughness, position, talking and basic team defense awareness all seem to be lacking according to those defensive stats.
Laxgunea wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:00 pm It is the defensive system that will determine where we stand in may 2022.
While I definitely agree the close defense group didn't perform as well anyone hoped last year especially early on. Anyone remember this quote after last year's LIU game? :lol: :
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 am Agreed. Our crease got owned by LIU like the Germanic hordes taking over Rome.
That being said, I can't say I agree that the close D was the biggest issue with the team's performance (especially towards the end of the season). I think the stats actually support that. A further breakdown of the defensive in relation to the other NEC teams:

Scoring Defense:
#1 St Joes = 10.38
#2 Hobart = 11.00
#3 Bryant = 11.15
#4 MSM = 11.31
#5 LIU = 13.18
#6 SHU = 14.08
#7 Wagner = 16.00

Man Down Defense
#1 St Joes = .795
#2 Bryant = .733
#3 SHU = .727
#4 MSM = .719
#5 Hobart = .692 *statistically not that far off rom #2-4
#6 LIU = .674
#7 Wagner = .609
oldbartman wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:17 pm After watching Bryant's poles this season, it became very apparent that with the exception of a few, our poles were not comfortable/able to handle the ball under any kind of pressure. This lead to some very untimely turnovers.
Clearing WAS an absolutely a team issue during the first half of the season but they ended up with a .85 clearing percentage on the year (not terrible). If my memory serves me correctly, the SSDMs were as much if not more of an issue the the poles.
Ketch wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:01 pm Anyone notice how our SSDMs all tried to look like Matt Smalley clearing the ball? Trouble is, they aren‘t Matt Smalley. We need to learn to clear the ball by passing it.

Another big issue was turning the ball over after a successful clear, which happened WAY to often last year.
oldbartman wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:17 pm Since when did clearing become an adventure. We were 19-23. Sad part is, we coughed it up 3 times after "clearing". Almost seemed panicked when trying to clear.

I do agree that the close D group definitely had issues early on with TOs in the clearing game, that being said Mueller (graduated, likely not returning) lead the group with 12 TOs, Nalen (graduated, unsure if he is returning ) had 5 TOs, Ryan (graduated, likely not returning) had 4 TOs. Every other pole that had significant minutes turned the ball over 1 time or 0. I'm not sure based on the above that we can say its going to be in issue in 2022.

After reviewing last year's thread a major issue was general overall lack of size/strength on the majority of the roster (especially at the SSDM position).
oldbartman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:17 pm The fact that the coaches didn't put a big body, specifically a pole on the big LIU middie and didn't double him constantly is a real head scratcher. He wasn't hit once by anyone over 170 lbs. We need more size at SSDM. Guys like Sampson. Meite, and Hocheimer all have better size and decent speed.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:59 am I realize this is more a comment in the Lebron James twitter culture of showing how hard everyone works all the time (like everyone only showing their best lives on crapbook). But...There’s a few kids who could add 5-10lbs of muscle which might include the tallest one on the roster. But imagine if Bobby Baltzer could add 10pbs of muscle as he develops (only a soph) and not lose agility or lateral quickness.
33 kids on the roster are under 185lbs. Connor durkin is 6’2” 170, Mott 6’2” 175, Gullace 5’10” 165, Adam Davis 6’ 165, Madonna 5’10” 175, Hocheimer 6’ 175, Matt Turner 6’ 1” 180 as just some examples. Many of these guys you see getting managed by mid sized close D and long sticks.
Guys who did well as FR: Herlihy 5’10” 185, Dattellas 6’ 185
Not saying weight or strength is the only thing needed but it’s pretty clear between current lack of depth and, frankly, our guys have physically been handled in almost every game and so seems like a lot could use the weight room as well as the wall.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 pm Different positions different needs. So if I’m a SSDM whos 155-165 trying to defend 210lb midfielders or trying to like run through double teams on a clear, I probably need more strength. Wasn’t Kevin Curtin like 185 even though he was, at best, 5’9”?
To be clear, I am definitely not criticizing the players effort and recognize that the COVID pandemic limited the strength and conditioning program BUT its clear that the team as a whole needs to get bigger, faster, and stronger if it wants to win the conference and really have a chance to compete with the bigger conference foes.

Sorry for the long thread. To finish this up, I think the close D can and will improve in 2022. I think the biggest issue was "fundamentals" on the other side of the ball. I'll leave you with a few gems from last years thread to make my case:
catchnshoot wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:10 am Offense had no flow just a panicked mess, never felt like they had a big run in them
Too many unforced errors just throwing and catching
catchnshoot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:10 pm But this was a sloppy mess
Way too many turnovers
Fundamentals need work , balls flying all over the place
What happened to throwing a pass next to the guys head/ ear?
Passes over guys heads , bouncing at their feet
Teams have obviously decided they can physically intimidate our guys
Lots of purple uni’s on the ground
EMO is terrible
Offense stagnant , not creating opportunities
Every clear is a complete adventure
catchnshoot wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:11 am Fundamentals are terrible throwing the ball all over the yard , no easy catches on passes
EMO is lost
Shot selection and decision making poor
LRoggy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:00 pm I;ve seen mediocre high schools with better fundamentals than us today
oldbartman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:16 pm We can't throw and catch, let alone clear the ball.. To many times simple passes became nightmares. What the heck is with this team. The offense devolved into 5 guys waiting for the other guy to figure out he doesn't have a shot. Just plain CRAP lacrosse in the 2nd half. Lets hope throwing and catching, picking up GBs and clearing are taught this week in practice.
oldbartman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:39 pm Our shooting % sucks!!... That's not what lost this game. A complete lack of jv fundamentals is what cost them.
catchnshoot wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:30 pm The fundamentals have been awful all year
Unforced errors
It’s like watching bad HS lax
Not even bad D3 lax
Not being able to throw or catch at this level is unacceptable
Also shows lack of desire
Hard work anyone can learn to throw or catch
Offense is even less imaginative than it was under pistol Pete
Clearing is a joke
SMAIN wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:54 pm A couple of small points. The sorry care of fundamentals... sloppy play, turnovers, the clearing adventure, poor EMO"s, to me comes down to coaching.
Laxbuck wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:02 am As an SJU fan I agree with most of your observations....Fundamentals and clearing Hobart’s biggest issues. Is that correctable at this stage or just who you are??
Laxgunea wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:24 pm This is an ugly game. No rhythm. Back to dropping balls and poor decisions. Hope quality improves.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:41 pm I’ve heard that scoring is more efficient when the shot is on goal. If that’s right we are being inefficient with 4/17 shots on goal so far...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laxgunea wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:47 pm I'd love to see a shot from inside 15 years. Preferably not underhand or sidearm.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:49 pm Did I see a guy run downhill on an alley dodge then brief hesitation jump shot?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LRoggy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:01 pm Thank God, an INSIDE SHOT! Let's put that one in the playbook for the next game . . .
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:37 pm EMO is below Mendoza.
Shooting is bad.
TOs are unforced.
It’s not so much bad as making rookie mistakes. Forcing passes in the middle, not enough off ball movement, tightening grip on stick, not putting shots on the cage, kids trying to split double teams on clearing and on other side of field from bench and coughing it up.
catchnshoot wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:58 am That was a terrible lacrosse game
It looked like mid level high school ball
Cannot believe how poor the fundamentals are for D1 level athletes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I stand by all my comments. Good post.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Great post! Great review. We have some bigger stronger faster guys. We'll see if that helps. Just to clarify, I wasn't saying the close D players need to improve. It is the system that needs work. That includes clearing ... though that was better later. The big question I have on D is why we seem vulnerable inside year in and year out?
No question fundamentals were very weak last year. Was that poorly skilled players or no rhythm and routine because of COVID. We certainly looked good in 2019. Was it just a matter of losing key players?
twistercity

Post by twistercity »

also think that the close D and lsms were solid this year, for the defense to take the next step the SSDMs will need to man up- and that includes communication which help cover up the inside. Can't just be the same few voices. Rumor is that Ryan and Archer will be entering the masters program. Unsure on others, guessing some of the others not celebrated on senior day may have slowed down credits.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Nice post Laxfan1234. One stat that galls me is how poor the team was on EMO. Only Wagner was worse. That is pathetic. I still stand by my post about the poles not being good at handling the ball. Same goes for the SSDMs who were too easily knocked off their line when handling the rock. Goalie may be an open position. Though I feel it's Holtby's job unless one of the other goalies makes a big improvement. Speaking of improvements. the sophomores really need to take some big steps forward. Only 2 played meaningful roles. We need 2 strong offensive midfield lines. Shea looks to be the primary FOGO with the now graduated Blanchard in the transfer portal. Lucky team whomever gets him. The incoming FYs are a mystery in terms of impact. My guess is after fall ball, they will only be marginally behind the sophomores. Hope I'm wrong about that as we have significant issues that need addressing.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Keep in mind Herlihy and Romm were lost for season (maybe others like Meite?)
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Just read that Herlihy's younger brother dropped 4Gs in the Eastern Mass. playoffs...... just sayin...........
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 pm Just read that Herlihy's younger brother dropped 4Gs in the Eastern Mass. playoffs...... just sayin...........
How many of the younger brothers have we gotten? Can Hancock and Max span for five seconds but seems like we usually lose those to other schools, most recently Michael Lampert and Lance Madonna as examples.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone see we had nearly 50% growth in the endowment YOY? (Hopefully that’s real and not a bogus MTM number) to $296mm from barely over $200mm? Why do we think Gearan did such a great job other than that he was an improvement over Dick Hersh? The guys comp was over $500k 5yrs ago and people talk about him having a statue?

I would note that using the low water Mark of 3/2020 is a bit disingenuous I’d rather see from 12/31/19 or 1/1/20 to today or conversely from a pure YOY level which I’m sure wouldn’t be as large QM increase.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Romm is a good younger brother story. He'd have had significant time if not for injury. I was impressed with his ssdm play in 2019.
Herlihy will be a huge help. I also have strong Hope's for Delaney, assuming he can be injury free. Bach already proved himself in my book.
Regarding clears in 2020, anyone know how many were Mueller clearing singlehandedly? Great athleticism, but we need more teamwork on those.
Endowment news was great. And I agree about Gearan and fundraising. He was also the guy who upped enrollment and mortgaged reputation with Bob Murphy. But we are still tuition driven and need to solve admissions issues before all is well. Incoming class of around 400. Lax helps, as will the MA program. Glad we have Raymond.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I hope Coach Raymond is reading all of these cogent coaching tips :roll:
Bart

Post by Bart »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:48 am I hope Coach Raymond is reading all of these cogent coaching tips :roll:
I hope he works on fundamentals ;)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Go watch a practice...he can lead them to water, but can't make them drink..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:05 am Great post! Great review. We have some bigger stronger faster guys. We'll see if that helps. Just to clarify, I wasn't saying the close D players need to improve. It is the system that needs work. That includes clearing ... though that was better later. The big question I have on D is why we seem vulnerable inside year in and year out?
No question fundamentals were very weak last year. Was that poorly skilled players or no rhythm and routine because of COVID. We certainly looked good in 2019. Was it just a matter of losing key players?
Everyone has injuries but losing Herlihy, Romm and Delaney then having a partial Knox season and Mott was hurt to start the year messing with the lineups I think has a huge impact on an offense that just couldn’t put together serious runs or get above like 12-13 goals.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:33 pm Go watch a practice...he can lead them to water, but can't make them drink..
So you are saying the kids aren’t working he’s enough or aren’t good enough?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I'm saying: Raymond isn't teaching them to make poor passes, or not moving on offense, or drop passes..

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”