Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Cletus »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:23 am
Cletus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:09 am You're saying BC, NC and Syracuse are all set for their rosters and wouldn't take Dirks?
That’s what I’m saying
I can't see it. I think any of those three teams (and any team in the NCAA for that matter) would welcome Dirks into the fold with her skill set.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

She has 3 years of eligibility to add to a very solid 2021 stat line. So immediate impact and potential upside. I have heard acc as well, different geography.

I think many sophomores with three years left to play will explore options if they are not 100% happy. After 2 season with their school/program, they have a good lay of the land and now would be the time to jump.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:45 am She has 3 years of eligibility to add to a very solid 2021 stat line. So immediate impact and potential upside. I have heard acc as well, different geography.

I think many sophomores with three years left to play will explore options if they are not 100% happy. After 2 season with their school/program, they have a good lay of the land and now would be the time to jump.
I see a VT perhaps. New coach. Great opportunity or maybe Louisville. They can use her for sure
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

So what are the 2 ACC schools Dirk's is interested in - I'm guessing it's 2 of the big 3 and likely UNC and BC. I agree both would be interested. Freshman UNC player Shannon Smith just left UNC and is going to MD. Is considered a top 3 middie in 2020 class.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:15 am So what are the 2 ACC schools Dirk's is interested in - I'm guessing it's 2 of the big 3 and likely UNC and BC. I agree both would be interested. Freshman UNC player Shannon Smith just left UNC and is going to MD. Is considered a top 3 middie in 2020 class.
[/quote
She was great in a subpar schedule. The pace is not the same as bc or unc. Not sure about that. But you’re as good as those around you so maybe she will be great. I guess time will tell. More goes into a transfer than lacrosse. She’s a rising junior. Credits transferring. Money. Bc is a lot more than penn
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:20 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:15 am So what are the 2 ACC schools Dirk's is interested in - I'm guessing it's 2 of the big 3 and likely UNC and BC. I agree both would be interested. Freshman UNC player Shannon Smith just left UNC and is going to MD. Is considered a top 3 middie in 2020 class.
She was great in a subpar schedule. The pace is not the same as bc or unc. Not sure about that. But you’re as good as those around you so maybe she will be great. I guess time will tell. More goes into a transfer than lacrosse. She’s a rising junior. Credits transferring. Money. Bc is a lot more than penn
I don't agree Dirks played a subpar schedule with Penn State this season. Nine of the thirteen games the Lions played were against ranked opponents. Four vs top 10.

Penn State University

2021 Women's Lacrosse Schedule

Feb 14 - Rutgers - W 20-11

Feb 21 - #7 Maryland - W 15-13

Mar 11 - #3 Northwestern - L 13-24

Mar 13 - #3 Northwestern - L 13-17

Mar 19 - #13 Michigan - L 9-12

Mar 21 - #13 Michigan - W 13-12

Mar 26 - Ohio State - L 12-15

Mar 28 - Ohio State - L 9-11

Apr 7 - Johns Hopkins - L 10-13

Apr 11 - #9 Maryland - W 16-9

Apr 15 - #24 Rutgers - L 16-17

Apr 18 - #20 Johns Hopkins - L 11-13

Apr 29 - #20 Johns Hopkins (QF Big 10 Tournament) - L 9-11

Overall 4-9 .308

Home 4-2

Away 0-6

Neutral 0-1
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

ThreeSeconds wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:11 pm Penn State girls.
I am hearing two PSU gals in the portal.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:34 am
ThreeSeconds wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:11 pm Penn State girls.
I am hearing two PSU gals in the portal.
Anyone beside Dirks and Suplee?
watcherinthewoods

Reese adding Smith to Pansini and Cordingly. Pretty significant and I am sure she is not done yet.
watcherinthewoods

From what I am hearing, Dirks is headed to the great fly over. But we shall see soon enough.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:45 pm
From what I am hearing, Dirks is headed to the great fly over. But we shall see soon enough.
Given that "the great flyover" is the midwestern United States--Notre Dame? Northwestern?

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:44 pm
Reese adding Smith to Pansini and Cordingly. Pretty significant and I am sure she is not done yet.
It will be interesting to see if they develop leadership on offense with all the players that will make up the 2022 Terps. They have been without for most of the last three seasons.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Does anyone know if any Cuse girls have jumped ship after Gait’s departure
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:27 am
Cletus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:09 am You're saying BC, NC and Syracuse are all set for their rosters and wouldn't take Dirks?
That’s what I’m saying
I can't see it. I think any of those three teams (and any team in the NCAA for that matter) would welcome Dirks into the fold with her skill set.
If I had to bet money, I would say she would transfer to either Cuse or ND if we are talking solely ACC. Maybe even UNC with Miller leaving and that starting mid spot up for grabs. BC would be hard to penetrate with their starting mids returning (Smith and the Weeks twins).
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

laxstan8 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:36 pm
That’s what I’m saying
If I had to bet money, I would say she would transfer to either Cuse or ND if we are talking solely ACC. Maybe even UNC with Miller leaving and that starting mid spot up for grabs. BC would be hard to penetrate with their starting mids returning (Smith and the Weeks twins).
Why roster 36 and then take a transfer. I never can understand that. I see nd. Not Cuse. They’re fine. Or unc. They’re fine as well.
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:39 pm
laxstan8 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:36 pm
That’s what I’m saying
Why roster 36 and then take a transfer. I never can understand that. I see nd. Not Cuse. They’re fine. Or unc. They’re fine as well.
Good point. Sometimes the kids you recruit don't rise to the level you need them to play at, so you bring in a transfer to push them. Look at Emily Ehle from Georgetown to Cuse. Cuse had a deep roster with tons of talent on the offensive end (and Gait had her come over even having Carney and Hawryschuk before injuries) and Ehle still started and logged a ton of minutes.

With a new HC on the horizon, it's hard to say whether they will take any transfers. But I wouldn't count Cuse out from possibly acquiring Dirks.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

You know what I find funny...why is it that these players in the Portal always seem to run to schools in the top 10? Have ANY of them thought about going to a sound academic school, not in the top 10, and help raise the profile and fortunes of that program? There can be great personal satisfaction and possible reward in that. Think JMU 2018.

The tired scenario of the rich getting richer can be changed IF student-athletes would have a little vision.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:34 am You know what I find funny...why is it that these players in the Portal always seem to run to schools in the top 10? Have ANY of them thought about going to a sound academic school, not in the top 10, and help raise the profile and fortunes of that program? There can be great personal satisfaction and possible reward in that. Think JMU 2018.

The tired scenario of the rich getting richer can be changed IF student-athletes would have a little vision.
I might agree with you but the sell is easy. Compare the pitch from a too 10 coach: “ your a great player, come to our school and compete for a national championship. Vs: “come to our school, you can really hep put us on the map”. Imo, the vision for these kids is a championship and the personal satisfaction that comes with that.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:34 am You know what I find funny...why is it that these players in the Portal always seem to run to schools in the top 10? Have ANY of them thought about going to a sound academic school, not in the top 10, and help raise the profile and fortunes of that program? There can be great personal satisfaction and possible reward in that. Think JMU 2018.

I think that's a lofty standard to assume and expect from young folks in college. The desire to play on a team which is a legitimate threat to win the national championship is understandable. Nothing ignoble about wanting to transfer to an established top team--whether they are considered academically sound or otherwise. Maybe things have turned bad where they are for one reason or another and they have some friends on another team they want to join. Maybe their best friend(s) graduated and the team, and by extension the school, no longer has any attraction for them. Or friends on another team tell them how much better it is to play for coach Betty than coach Bob, or vice versa. I'm sure there are a whole host of factors that figure into a person's decision to enter the portal. Sound academics aren't important to everyone. There are other considerations that are just as important to some students. It takes all kinds, as the saying goes.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Very nice thought…but how many competitive kids working on their game for years in the back yard dream of raising Cornell’s profile and fortunes? It’s not a lack of vision but a vision of helping a team reach its ultimate goal.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”