Game Talk: W&L vs WAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
d3commenter

Game Talk: W&L vs WAC

Post by d3commenter »

Big chance for the Generals to bounce back and get into a groove heading into the meat of the season - March. With AJ's status up in the air, I'm looking for a big time team win. Limiting unforced turnovers will be key, as just a few more possessions and this team could theoretically be 3-0 over 3 top 20 teams. As Pacino reminds us in Any Given Sunday, its a game of inches.

While many are heavily favoring W&L, lets not forget the 2017 loss in Chestertown that started off with a few failed clears in a row and went downhill from there. Generals were #15 in the nation at the time and that OOC loss was as much a reason as any (see Mary Wash and Elizabethtown) that team didn't have a prayer for an at large bid. WAC finished 9-7.The margin for error is razor thin in this D3 field and the staff won't allow this team to look ahead to yet another marquee matchup against F&M.

Games early in the season are won between the lines and I've loved what I've seen from 42 and 5 on the faceoff unit as well as the tenacity in the ride (not to mention nearly 90% in the clearing game). Grit and hustle in the middle of the field are the foundation that a championship team is built on and these kids have both in spades. With everyone on the offense forced to step up, I anticipate a moment of growth for a team that hasn't been without a clear go-to guy in 3 seasons.

On the other side of the ball, an experienced D has shown what they are capable of (9.33 GAA and 29 CTOs) and will look to get back on track after a disappointing performance last week. If I know anything about the Real Coach K's film room and the talent of 25 and 11, expect communication early and often, some dialed up pressure and on-time doubles.

Gennies 15-8.
DeepPocket

Re: Game Talk: W&L vs WAC

Post by DeepPocket »

This one reeks of a trap game for W&L. While a 1 - 2 start has not been ideal, the two losses to well ranked teams don’t hurt as much as the record indicates. However, falling to 1 and 3 with a loss to a unranked (however formidable) WAC would almost certainly close out any aspirations for a deep run.

WAC cannot be taken lightly, or looked past in this one. Upsets are in the air right now and they will come to play. I’ll hold any predictions I may have....

Conversely, as posters here and elsewhere have mentioned, with the proverbial crutch of Witherell potentially kicked out from under the W&L offense, others will be forced to generate or flounder. They showed glimmers of success at it during the end last game, and if they have to do it with out him, it seems they can.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Away game, cold and rainy day. It is a dangerous game. IF A.J. is on the mend and not on the field that would be another...distraction.
W&L is deep and should gut it out 12-9
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

AJ or no AJ the Generals were displeased with their 0-3 start last season . CNU may not be a top 20 team they weren’t last week. The Generals will be a highly motivated team to get to 2-2 and put 2 very distasteful losses behind them. If in fact AJ is out for this game I believe they will come out extremely focused . I’m expecting a great game out of the Generals a loss to WAC ( and no disrespect to WAC ) would be unacceptable to a team that believes they are a top 10 team that expects to play late into May.
giffordfan27

Post by giffordfan27 »

Long time reader, first time poster and I, yet again, agree with Dehunt here. WAC is a great program, but the focus W&L brings to Chestertown will ultimately be too much for the Shoreman. What's most interesting about tomorrow's game is the absence of AJ. We all want the Generals to go deep. Make no mistake: the Generals will not go deep without 21. BUT, he will not do it alone -- opposing teams will focus almost entirely on him and deservedly so. Who else will step up for the blue & white on offense? My guess would have to be pre-season all-American, Hudson Hamill. Thus far, I would not characterize Hamill's ROLE in the offense as all-American. His running mates can do it too -- 2Gs from both Mullholland and Ware last Saturday. Again, I'd like to see Hamill have an all-American caliber feature tomorrow.

Both teams struggle early on a cold and rainy day. Generals D is stout and has no problem containing WAC's #12. Hamill and co, sensing the need for action, will eventually find their groove against WAC (and hopefully for the rest of the year) with 42 and 5 continuing to dominate the faceoff X.

11-6 Generals.
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

First and foremost, if you don't come to play in Chestertown, it can become a very long game...take 2017's contest for example. Coach Shirk does his best to take his opponents out of their comfort zone, and that's exactly what he did two years ago. Utilizing a compacted, drop back ride to put the Generals young and inexperienced defensemen in the position where they had no choice but to become ball handlers in the neutral zone proved too much for W&L. I'll be curious to see what gameplan the Shoremen have prepared for this Saturday, but I would expect nothing less than their absolute best. Although there is no official rivalry, the history between these two programs is palpable, and it's an annual contest that both teams have circled year in and year out.

Shifting gears. I agree with everything that has been said about the concern regarding AJ's status. Newsflash, while the Generals do need the "debatably" best player in the country to get to Memorial Day Weekend, they do not need #21 to win winnable games. Every game played thus far has been winnable, and tomorrow's contest is certainly one that I would label winnable. I was satisfied with Ware and Mulholland rising to the occasion in Granville. While I do not believe in "mental victories" because they simply do not matter, those two should at the very least be feeling themselves now that they've shown themselves and opposing defenses that they can get to the rack. You may not need to gameplan for them like you do for #21, but heck you have to respect them. Need Hamill to draw slides this weekend. Drawing a slide and distributing is what he does best. You can't afford to not pole #2, so need him to play big.

Defense will be fine. Denison was a much needed gut check, but it doesn't worry me one bit. I know the Generals are trying to play fast and create opportunities in the ride, which they have done a great job doing, BUT it showed they were susceptible to being taken advantage of in the transition game. LIMIT TRANSITION.

At the end of the day this is a team that has final 4 aspirations. It's a crucial checkpoint in the season, and one where captains and senior leadership will prove to make or break the course of this season with how they direct the focus of the 50-man roster...last I checked they ratted off 16 straight last year. To quote Aaron Rodgers: "R-E-L-A-X".

13-6 Generals
Last edited by wheelnd3al on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giffordfan27

Post by giffordfan27 »

wheelnd3al wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm First and foremost, if you don't come to play in Chestertown, it can become a very long game...take 2017's contest for example. Coach Shirk does his best to take his opponents out of their comfort zone, and that's exactly what he did two years ago. Utilizing a compacted, drop back ride to put the Generals young and inexperienced defensemen in the position where they had no choice but to become ball handlers in the neutral zone proved too much for W&L. I'll be curious to see what gameplan the Shoremen have prepared for this Saturday, but I would expect nothing less than their absolute best. Although there is no official rivalry, the history between these two programs is palpable, and it's an annual contest that both teams have circled year in and year out.

WAC leads all-time series 33-28. First met in 1950. Is this the 55th consecutive meeting? @wheel I'd definitely call this a historic rivarly!

For a Sho'men there's nothing like hearing those DUELING BANJOS and seeing the Generals on the other side of your field.

Dueling banjos. Shirk/Geno. Shoremen/Generals.

Lets go!
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

wheelnd3al wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm First and foremost, if you don't come to play in Chestertown, it can become a very long game...take 2017's contest for example. Coach Shirk does his best to take his opponents out of their comfort zone, and that's exactly what he did two years ago. Utilizing a compacted, drop back ride to put the Generals young and inexperienced defensemen in the position where they had no choice but to become ball handlers in the neutral zone proved too much for W&L. I'll be curious to see what gameplan the Shoremen have prepared for this Saturday, but I would expect nothing less than their absolute best. Although there is no official rivalry, the history between these two programs is palpable, and it's an annual contest that both teams have circled year in and year out.

Shifting gears. I agree with everything that has been said about the concern regarding AJ's status. Newsflash, while the Generals do need the "debatably" best player in the country to get to Memorial Day Weekend, they do not need #21 to win winnable games. Every game played thus far has been winnable, and tomorrow's contest is certainly one that I would label winnable. I was satisfied with Ware and Mulholland rising to the occasion in Granville. While I do not believe in "mental victories" because they simply do not matter, those two should at the very least be feeling themselves now that they've shown themselves and opposing defenses that they can get to the rack. You may not need to gameplan for them like you do for #21, but heck you have to respect them. Need Hamill to draw slides this weekend. Drawing a slide and distributing is what he does best. You can't afford to not pole #2, so need him to play big.

Defense will be fine. Denison was a much needed gut check, but it doesn't worry me one bit. I know the Generals are trying to play fast and create opportunities in the ride, which they have done a great job doing, BUT it showed they were susceptible to being taken advantage of in the transition game. LIMIT TRANSITION.

At the end of the day this is a team that has final 4 aspirations. It's a crucial checkpoint in the season, and one where captains and senior leadership will prove to make or break the course of this season with how they direct the focus of the 50-man roster...last I checked they ratted off 16 straight last week. To quote Aaron Rodgers: "R-E-L-A-X".

13-6 Generals
Ratted off 16 straight what? If you meant goals, I think you meant 6
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

[/quote]
Ratted off 16 straight what? If you meant goals, I think you meant 6
[/quote]

*16 straight wins last season.
Dehuntshigwa’es

14 straight, need to win the big ones
Navylax

Post by Navylax »

It will be a long day for the generals. 15 to 9 WAC
Dehuntshigwa’es

7-3 Generals at the half. Neither 38 or 8 are viable options for that third attack spot without AJ. They are both seniors so they’ve earned a look but I think they will have to go to one of the younger players if the attack unit is going to be productive. The mids are playing well and Huber has really upped his game, smart player . Mulholland and Hamill are special players. Is Zusi injured as well, he has not seen the field first half . Like to see a real clean second half fundamentally, gb’s , good D, no unforced TO’s get to 15 plus goals... looks like Mize got the call for attack second half, kids got game.. . Lack of self control and discipline for the Generals with TWO unsportsmanlike penalties, 8 in total . Taylor has really developed into a fine goalie, possible future AA
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

Nice win for The Generals.

Any word on AJ?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

oldlaw wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:08 pm Nice win for The Generals.

Any word on AJ?
Oldlaw, check your inbox.

Valaxfan
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

Vale fan- got it . When you get a chance , let me know when you can do lunch. I can travel.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

WAC looked very mediocre today. Much of that due to W&L’s efforts.
Centennial will be a challenge for the geese.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”