Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by InsiderRoll »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:13 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:16 pm Heard Epstein and Zinn are playing box together up in Connecticut. McDermott is playing in the upstate NY league. Have a friend who coaches in CT who said Zinn is in another class athletically from everyone else in the league. Sure would be nice if he could put it all together in 2022. Maybe he just is what he is at this point but I can't help shake the feeling he can still be unlocked. Very curious to see how the staff deploys him next year. His move to SSDM may have been out of necessity after Mabbett went down but I don't think anyone will be shocked if he stays there.

Callahan finished his senior season at Victor facing off at 86%. I'm told that is slightly higher than TD Ierlan's senior year FO% at Victor.
Zinn could be the solution on the 2nd midfield line if he could put it together. He seemed to be better offensively as a freshman than he's been the last two years. The regression is puzzling. Usually middies make a big leap from frosh to sophomore which is why we can expect big things I think from Peshko and McDermott. Zinn's athleticism is off the charts. If he could get his offensive game back he'd make a great pairing with those two. Maybe he plays a hbrid role? Some ssdm, some offense, some wings. Hopefully he gets in the backyard and works on his shooting this summer.
I'd be tempted to fully develop Zinn as a SSDM and as a weapon in transition. I think he could flourish without having to bear any 6x6 offensive role. Think (poor man's) Matt Abbott.
I’m so confused why this is even a debate, he is definitely one of the best pure athletes in college lacrosse. But he’s a 7% shooter who had 11 turnovers in half a season of limited offensive reps. He throws the ball away under duress almost every time. With Hopkins young developing core of offensive midfielders who started to come around the permanent switch to short stick is a forgone conclusion.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:27 am
primitiveskills wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:13 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:16 pm Heard Epstein and Zinn are playing box together up in Connecticut. McDermott is playing in the upstate NY league. Have a friend who coaches in CT who said Zinn is in another class athletically from everyone else in the league. Sure would be nice if he could put it all together in 2022. Maybe he just is what he is at this point but I can't help shake the feeling he can still be unlocked. Very curious to see how the staff deploys him next year. His move to SSDM may have been out of necessity after Mabbett went down but I don't think anyone will be shocked if he stays there.

Callahan finished his senior season at Victor facing off at 86%. I'm told that is slightly higher than TD Ierlan's senior year FO% at Victor.
Zinn could be the solution on the 2nd midfield line if he could put it together. He seemed to be better offensively as a freshman than he's been the last two years. The regression is puzzling. Usually middies make a big leap from frosh to sophomore which is why we can expect big things I think from Peshko and McDermott. Zinn's athleticism is off the charts. If he could get his offensive game back he'd make a great pairing with those two. Maybe he plays a hbrid role? Some ssdm, some offense, some wings. Hopefully he gets in the backyard and works on his shooting this summer.
I'd be tempted to fully develop Zinn as a SSDM and as a weapon in transition. I think he could flourish without having to bear any 6x6 offensive role. Think (poor man's) Matt Abbott.
I’m so confused why this is even a debate, he is definitely one of the best pure athletes in college lacrosse. But he’s a 7% shooter who had 11 turnovers in half a season of limited offensive reps. He throws the ball away under duress almost every time. With Hopkins young developing core of offensive midfielders who started to come around the permanent switch to short stick is a forgone conclusion.
Stems from him coming into JHU as a top ten recruit at a time when JHU was desperate for more conventional offensive middies (rather than the infamous "smurfs" so often criticized on this board). But I agree we should just utlilize his stregnths as a SSDM rather hoping beyond hope that his 6x6 offensive game will transform.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

FanLax Team websites are puff pieces designed to create as much credit as possible. Associate, not even assistant for several years seldom seal the deal
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:15 pm FanLax Team websites are puff pieces designed to create as much credit as possible. Associate, not even assistant for several years seldom seal the deal
"Associate head coach" is higher than a normal assistant, no?

Milliman helped recruit a lot of those guys to Cornell as both an assistant/associate/whatever prior to leading the program and then once he took over as head coach. There's no getting around that. Arguing otherwise makes you look small and petty.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

zinn is probably a big scholarship given where he was rated coming in. That's part of the issue when we're giving $ to a player and he's demoted to ssdm and the terps are giving $ to a guy who wins a tewaraaton. I can't even imagine who on the defensive side was getting $.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 pm zinn is probably a big scholarship given where he was rated coming in. That's part of the issue when we're giving $ to a player and he's demoted to ssdm and the terps are giving $ to a guy who wins a tewaraaton. I can't even imagine who on the defensive side was getting $.
Maybe. but coach expectations, coupled with need, and competition for commitment tend to determine scholarship dollars, not rankings.

I am sure Maryland has had plenty of players that they “paid” too much for. Only difference is Maryland tends to find ways to cut them and get them in the portal. Tillman is well known “clearing cap space”.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 pm zinn is probably a big scholarship given where he was rated coming in. That's part of the issue when we're giving $ to a player and he's demoted to ssdm and the terps are giving $ to a guy who wins a tewaraaton. I can't even imagine who on the defensive side was getting $.
I actually doubt he is. Petro didn’t hand out cash to families that didn’t need it. Zinn is from Westport CT, part of the Gold Coast. You don’t get that zip if daddy works blue collar jobs. I’d be surprised if he’s on any scholarship.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:36 pm
I actually doubt he is. Petro didn’t hand out cash to families that didn’t need it. Zinn is from Westport CT, part of the Gold Coast. You don’t get that zip if daddy works blue collar jobs. I’d be surprised if he’s on any scholarship.
then that just makes it worse almost $850k in scholarship $. Epstein, deso, williams, grimes, reinson, darby, angelus, who else.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it's like none of you have ever gone on the bloomie-financial aid calculator. hop has like 30 schollys. or more. and if not that many, then it doesn't matter for their roster makeup.

#findguyswhocanplay
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:15 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:36 pm
then that just makes it worse almost $850k in scholarship $. Epstein, deso, williams, grimes, reinson, darby, angelus, who else.
Can you just chill for a second
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 pm Can you just chill for a second
As a Terps fan and alumn who reads this thread (because a lot of you guys know a ton about lacrosse and it's worth reading...and very active), I'm amused to see you write this. Because....

THERE IS NO CHILL ON THE HOPKINS THREAD ON FANLAX.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

PulpExposure wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 pm Can you just chill for a second
As a Terps fan and alumn who reads this thread (because a lot of you guys know a ton about lacrosse and it's worth reading...and very active), I'm amused to see you write this. Because....

THERE IS NO CHILL ON THE HOPKINS THREAD ON FANLAX.
Uh, bull-turd, is my work not appreciated around here?

WomCatChilling
WomCatChilling
98761030-A6EC-4D19-A74D-A2E545B1B61C.jpeg (91.25 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan

You are right I reversed the two. My error. He came in as an assistant coach.

Teat decided his goal was to go to Cornell by his sophomore year in HS. It wasn’t because of any one who was recruiting him except maybe that they didn’t blow it but he was already decided on school

His dad Dan was a NLL player of some note and a great coach. He grew up tied into a great lax network.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:43 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:05 pm It’s time! This Petro hire is significant, and you will not sit in the corner til the spring of 2022. The best player in the history of John Hopkins is the DC at Syracuse. If Doc needs to hydrate, so be it. This is a big deal, and don’t make it small.
I hope he brings his stellar 2020 defensive system to Cuse.
He's their problem now.
Two points I'd like to make:
1. Given all he's done for Hopkins as a player and (at least for the first half of his tenure) as a coach, he deserves far more respect than this.
2. HC and DC are very different positions with vastly different responsibilities. He will not be setting the program culture - that'll be Gait's job. He'll have to adjust to Gait, not the other way around. Who knows, this might free him to focus on what made him an all-time great. I really have no idea how this experiment will play out, but having the best all time O player and D player coaching together is just fascinating.

Much respect to Petro, but go Hop!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Don't worry about Zinn and don't worry about transfers. There are too many people on this team to begin with and there are very few roster opportunities to be had. 1 transfer already - 3 returning COVID eligibilities - 12 recruits - have only lost 2 underclassmen so far - without doing the actual final math that has to put the roster size in the mid-high 50's. Again, unless a 1 year guy is going to supply the mising piece to a title run - I don't see the point. A real difference maker at goalie or a mid-fielder with size and some shooting ability would be nice but otherwise things look way more settled than they did this past February. Priorities - IMO - should be:
- Integrating Epstein and DeSimone more effectivey - clearly - again IMO - the switch to the wing instead of driving the car had consequences - with DeSimone's apparent return - we need Epstein to get closer to the effectiveness of 2019.
- Pick the right option at goalie - it would appear that you have 3 options - a returning junior - soph elig - with 47% over 4.25 games, a DIII transfer and an incoming freshmen
- I think your mid-fields are more set than not but you need to find out whether Chauvette/Bauer/Raposo - or other O'Jays can play.

Agree - much thanks and respect for Petro - unless they play Hop - I hope he does well. Both sides of the Petro issue should just let it go.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:27 am Don't worry about Zinn and don't worry about transfers. There are too many people on this team to begin with and there are very few roster opportunities to be had. 1 transfer already - 3 returning COVID eligibilities - 12 recruits - have only lost 2 underclassmen so far - without doing the actual final math that has to put the roster size in the mid-high 50's. Again, unless a 1 year guy is going to supply the mising piece to a title run - I don't see the point. A real difference maker at goalie or a mid-fielder with size and some shooting ability would be nice but otherwise things look way more settled than they did this past February. Priorities - IMO - should be:
- Integrating Epstein and DeSimone more effectivey - clearly - again IMO - the switch to the wing instead of driving the car had consequences - with DeSimone's apparent return - we need Epstein to get closer to the effectiveness of 2019.
- Pick the right option at goalie - it would appear that you have 3 options - a returning junior - soph elig - with 47% over 4.25 games, a DIII transfer and an incoming freshmen
- I think your mid-fields are more set than not but you need to find out whether Chauvette/Bauer/Raposo - or other O'Jays can play.

Agree - much thanks and respect for Petro - unless they play Hop - I hope he does well. Both sides of the Petro issue should just let it go.
I would agree this team is in pretty good shape for next year. No glaring weaknesses (goalie maybe, but Marcile showed flashes). Epstein will need to take the next step and others will need continue their development to be a true quarter final type contender. Not sure they have the horses yet for a final 4 championship run, but they aren’t far off in talent.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

this was a 2-8 regular season team losing a horse in williams. I think 51 is arguably the most astute observer here or in paid media of this program but there's no way a program w/that record isn't going to get better just w/coaching and a bunch of players the previous staff recruited 5-7 years ago. Cuse forum posted the petro into news conference from last night and he talked a lot about the struggle of a first year coach having to basically coach someone else's players (round pegs square holes) and I have a hard time thinking PM and company are just going to sit there and run Petro's guys out there the next few years until PM's recruits come on board and develop. FWIW DP looked great, said he's lost 60 lbs, wants to lose another 20, and pretty obviously from his comments wants and I expect his sons to follow him wherever he's coaching in 2022. Despite his change in program, he's charmingly still fluent in Hopkins high minded branded messaging in his repeated mentions of academics, institutions, values.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:07 am this was a 2-8 regular season team losing a horse in williams. I think 51 is arguably the most astute observer here or in paid media of this program but there's no way a program w/that record isn't going to get better just w/coaching and a bunch of players the previous staff recruited 5-7 years ago. Cuse forum posted the petro into news conference from last night and he talked a lot about the struggle of a first year coach having to basically coach someone else's players (round pegs square holes) and I have a hard time thinking PM and company are just going to sit there and run Petro's guys out there the next few years until PM's recruits come on board and develop. FWIW DP looked great, said he's lost 60 lbs, wants to lose another 20, and pretty obviously from his comments wants and I expect his sons to follow him wherever he's coaching in 2022. Despite his change in program, he's charmingly still fluent in Hopkins high minded branded messaging in his repeated mentions of academics, institutions, values.
Your last sentence is key: academics, institutions and values. I’m not sure how many in the new world order appreciated that. If 2006 taught us anything, it was to try to keep your players, team and school out of bad headlines.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:07 am this was a 2-8 regular season team losing a horse in williams.
Now it's a problem that we lose Williams? You wanted him benched all year. You can see how someone might think you're full of sh*t, right?
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:27 am Don't worry about Zinn and don't worry about transfers. There are too many people on this team to begin with and there are very few roster opportunities to be had. 1 transfer already - 3 returning COVID eligibilities - 12 recruits - have only lost 2 underclassmen so far - without doing the actual final math that has to put the roster size in the mid-high 50's. Again, unless a 1 year guy is going to supply the mising piece to a title run - I don't see the point. A real difference maker at goalie or a mid-fielder with size and some shooting ability would be nice but otherwise things look way more settled than they did this past February. Priorities - IMO - should be:

Agree on pretty much everything here as usual—but for what it's worth, I doubt any of the transfer portal guys will end up back at Homewood. So I'd subtract a couple more from the presumed total. They're going to slowly chip away at the roster size but it's not all going to happen in a year. Probably won't be until 2025 when the last of the Covidites are gone that you're back to a sweet spot of low-mid 40s.

While the jury is still very much out on Marcille as "the guy" moving forward I think we're slightly underselling his late-season performance. He was thrown to the wolves with absolutely no college experience against some very good teams and I'd argue he was better than the 47% suggests. First game against Maryland—just below 50% but after a slow start he made some miraculous saves he had no business making—a first-team AA would have struggled to stay above 50% in that game. Game 2 against PSU—solid as a rock with the caveat that PSU didn't have much offensive firepower this year. Game 3 is the most encouraging one—B1G semi-final must win game against an eventual quarterfinalist (near FF) team and he gives you a chance to win. Not spectacular but came up with a few huge saves late and that's literally all you can ask for from a kid in that spot. No he was not good against Maryland in the final but I think the body of work is reason enough to be optimistic. It's also probably not a coincidence that the D started playing pretty well with him in cage. I am not ready to say "after years of pain, the goalie position is finally solved" but let's just say I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Again a small sample size but at least he mixed some highs in with the lows. Prior to him it had been virtually all low all the time.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

sorry '06 - disagree completely. First, you really don't have a choice. You could get 1 or 2 more transfers maybe but you're pretty much stuck with 85-90% of the magic number of 23/24 (players who play in a competitive game) being Petro's players for the next year or two. Second, you can't have a recruiting story out on the trail that you'll jettison a player at a moment's notice. Many many teams will politely usher out a player ior two but you can't have Coach Schmidlap pointing out to little Johnny that Hopkins sent 7/8 underclass players packing. Second, while DP left PM with a dumpster fire in terms of the NUMBER of players - the quality may or may not turn out to be OK. With zero fall and an interrupted spring I believe the defense improved its GAA by a goal (or thereabouts). In their last 4 games they took the NCAA runner up to the wire twice, defeated an NCAA quarterfinalist and stomped a conference opponent on their home field. I'm not saying they're going to beat UVA in the torunament or anything, but with a fall, an uninterrupted spring and some OOC opponents, they might be pretty fun to watch and enjoy some success.

If you look at the 2021 statistics as a team - 1 thing stands out above all others. Hopkins goalie save percentage - 42% Opponents - 50%. Other factors - Hopkins took 2 fewer shots per game than opponents but had about 2 MORE shots on goal per game. So shooting needs to improve. Ground balls is misleading because of Narewski's dominance in gbs compared to the guy across from him - improve 50/50 ground balls and you could be cooking with gas. But otherwise nothing else is completely out of whack - Hopkins even had 4 fewer TOs than opponents. In other words = the potential to be competitive is there.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”