movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
JoeMauer89

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by JoeMauer89 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_(2021_film)

Pretty good film starring Tom Holland, I liked it. A bit long, but solid,

JoeMauer89!
Cletus

A Rainy Day in New York

Post by Cletus »

Woody Allen can still make good films. I was surprised at how good A Rainy Day in New York was. Elle Fanning played a modern day Annie Hall. She does the intelligent neurotic well. Selena Gomez was great as the educated but wise-cracking younger sister. Woody can still write interesting dialog, and the story wasn't bad--moved along. I thought some of the lines were clever:

"I wanted to spend the night with Ashleigh alone in New York, not with a farrago of WASP plutocrats."

"A farrago of WASP plutocrats? Sounds like something on the menu at a fusion restaurant."
Typical Lax Dad

Re: A Rainy Day in New York

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:40 am Woody Allen can still make good films. I was surprised at how good A Rainy Day in New York was. Elle Fanning played a modern day Annie Hall. She does the intelligent neurotic well. Selena Gomez was great as the educated but wise-cracking younger sister. Woody can still write interesting dialog, and the story wasn't bad--moved along. I thought some of the lines were clever:

"I wanted to spend the night with Ashleigh alone in New York, not with a farrago of WASP plutocrats."

"A farrago of WASP plutocrats? Sounds like something on the menu at a fusion restaurant."
Did you see Match Point?
“I wish you would!”
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:40 am Woody Allen can still make good films. I was surprised at how good A Rainy Day in New York was. Elle Fanning played a modern day Annie Hall. She does the intelligent neurotic well. Selena Gomez was great as the educated but wise-cracking younger sister. Woody can still write interesting dialog, and the story wasn't bad--moved along. I thought some of the lines were clever:

Did you see Match Point?
I did, a couple of times. Really well done. What did you think?
Typical Lax Dad

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Did you see Match Point?
I did, a couple of times. Really well done. What did you think?
I thought it was excellent. Saw it years ago.
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.UKNG3w3Qb ... =5&pid=1.7

Had not seen this movie gem in many years. It remains as compelling as ever. Garnered several film awards and is well deserving of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho_(1960_film)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:02 am Had not seen this movie gem in many years. It remains as compelling as ever. Garnered several film awards and is well deserving of them.
The first scene in the movie has grown to be one of my favorites. The soundtrack intriguing as the camera pans Phoenix, eventually singling out a building, then a window, then through the magic of celluloid, into the room.

My mother was on the road when she saw the movie on its initial release. She said after that she could never shower in a hotel room unless the curtain was drawn. Really scared her. I guess it was shocking back then and a trail blazer in some areas of the horror genre.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Documentary is just saw on addiction and think it’s terrific and worth the watch for anyone who cares about society personally - The Anonymous People

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2571226/?ref_=m_tt_urv
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:43 am Documentary is just saw on addiction and think it’s terrific and worth the watch for anyone who cares about society personally - The Anonymous People

Had the opportunity to sit in a room with Chris Herren, and then later with Dexter Manley...amazing stories.

I remember Chris Herren said it all started with the Red Solo Cup at a party... it just escalated from there.

Dexter was much the same....his accountability friends had a full time job as he was working his way out of rehab. He had, may still have, a daily schedule that outlines his day and he and his friends check in at each appointment along the way.

Uncle just died, early 60's, was a heroin addict in his late teens early 20's, 'kinda' kicked it with methadone. My mother had to handle his money and supported him prior to passing. She did not hear from him for a day, went by his place and found him dead at kitchen table with the needle still in his arm.....fentanyl got him, didn't even have time to pull the needed and this was guy that knew his drugs.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:43 am Documentary is just saw on addiction and think it’s terrific and worth the watch for anyone who cares about society personally - The Anonymous People

Had the opportunity to sit in a room with Chris Herren, and then later with Dexter Manley...amazing stories.

I remember Chris Herren said it all started with the Red Solo Cup at a party... it just escalated from there.

Dexter was much the same....his accountability friends had a full time job as he was working his way out of rehab. He had, may still have, a daily schedule that outlines his day and he and his friends check in at each appointment along the way.

Uncle just died, early 60's, was a heroin addict in his late teens early 20's, 'kinda' kicked it with methadone. My mother had to handle his money and supported him prior to passing. She did not hear from him for a day, went by his place and found him dead at kitchen table with the needle still in his arm.....fentanyl got him, didn't even have time to pull the needed and this was guy that knew his drugs.
Everyone who experiments before 18-22 is at risk at any point in their life given the lack of full development of the brain. We need to do better w mental health which is what this is part of. Slowly crawling in that direction.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OuttaNowhereWregget

Hannibal Rising

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

It's a dark movie but the story is compelling and the young man who plays Lecter is great.

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:35 pm

Chris Herren was a talent.
“I wish you would!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

What Doesn't Kill You was a great little film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Does ... You_(film) (Currently free to watch on Tubi)

Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawke play a couple of small time hoods in Boston. Here's part of a great scene from the movie shot from Dorchester Heights in South Boston.

OuttaNowhereWregget

The Dig currently on Netflix. Moving and very well done. I like most anything with Ralph Fiennes.

Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:38 pm The Dig currently on Netflix. Moving and very well done. I like most anything with Ralph Fiennes.

It was excellent
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:04 pm What Doesn't Kill You was a great little film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Does ... You_(film) (Currently free to watch on Tubi)

Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawke play a couple of small time hoods in Boston. Here's part of a great scene from the movie shot from Dorchester Heights in South Boston.

Thanks for that!!
“I wish you would!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:11 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:04 pm What Doesn't Kill You was a great little film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Does ... You_(film) (Currently free to watch on Tubi)

Thanks for that!!
You're welcome. Always fun to recommend a movie and have someone like it.

This scene cracked me up--the way Ruffalo laughs after he tells the kid to go get the other one.

Since it was from a true story, I have to believe it happened. Truth is stranger than fiction as they say.
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks for that!!
You're welcome. Always fun to recommend a movie and have someone like it.

This scene cracked me up--the way Ruffalo laughs after he tells the kid to go get the other one.

Since it was from a true story, I have to believe it happened. Truth is stranger than fiction as they say.
Excellent. You see Seven Psychopaths?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:50 pm
Hmmm--looks like a great cast. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommend.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”