2021 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Post by ah23 »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:59 am
WhiteCarrera wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:49 am Since this is a D3 page, what do you all think is the range for d3 head coaches? At a lot of these schools, coaches are on faculty contracts with great pay/benefits. Others they’re just staff, and its completely different.
20k-120k. I think some coaches have "dual" duties to go along with coaching (administration or teaching).
I would be astonished if any head coach was making $20k, or anything near that…that’s barely above minimum wage. There definitely are coaches with dual duties, the worst class I ever took in college was an “ethics in sports” class taught by our school’s incompetent soccer coach.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

The low end of the pay scale are the part time Head coaches; of which there are surprisingly more than you’d think. For those schools a 10-15K stipend with no benefits is a pretty standard salary.

In terms of full time pay, I think 25-30 is about as low as you’d find. Some coaches are on 10 month contracts and are expected to supplement their salary with camps and such during their “off months”.

As mentioned by others, a lot of D3 coaches do have second duties…. For some it’s a second sport, for others it’s teaching or admissions work or some other departmental duty. Crazy to think that it wasn’t that long ago that every NESCAC coach was also coaching a second sport (off the top of my head I know Raba, McCormack and former tufts coach Daly were all football coaches…I’m sure there are others), now they’re likely some of the highest paid guys in D3, while coaching only lacrosse.

Some long tenured D3 coaches might find their way into administrative gigs and end up getting a nice salary boost as an associate or assistant AD and head coach. Beyond those guys, the top level NESCAC guys and maybe a few others, I’d be hard pressed to think there are many D3 coaches making much over $75K.

So these guys work long hours, recruit all summer to bring in players (tuition payers), and in most cases the coach barely makes one tuition worth in salary.

This why we see so many coaches are leaving the college game and getting jobs at Enterprise Rent-a-Car, because they have an excellent corporate structure and they give you all the tools to be your own boss.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

I wasn't fired from my job, I was laid off! But you wouldn't know the difference.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Switzerland wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:53 pm I wasn't fired from my job, I was laid off! But you wouldn't know the difference.
I heard that is what John Sung is telling people.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

D1 WLax Burn 🔥 🔥 🔥
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Yeah, I admit I had to look that one up. I need to do a better job staying up on ACC women’s lax news.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:12 pm Yeah, I admit I had to look that one up. I need to do a better job staying up on ACC women’s lax news.
So not laxy… :(
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Back to the Carousel, does anyone have any real info? I've got to believe that some of you are sitting on some scoop. G-burg and Denison should both be interviewing by now ...
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I've got nothing except Gettysburg is very very happy with the quality (great high profile names and resumes) of applications. I been led to believe they will announce in no more than 10 days.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Laxdds wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:50 pm Gettysburg is very very happy with the quality (great high profile names and resumes) of applications.
I’d sort of hope so…
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Was Chris Perzinski ever on staff at GBurg?

He would be an excellent young hire. Ton of experience and ton of success.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Yes he coached in 2013
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:13 pm Was Chris Perzinski ever on staff at GBurg?

He would be an excellent young hire. Ton of experience and ton of success.
Agreed.

Seems like he is enjoying his time in Jville though 8-)
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Laxdds wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:50 pm I've got nothing except Gettysburg is very very happy with the quality (great high profile names and resumes) of applications. I been led to believe they will announce in no more than 10 days.
Was told the (appx) same time line.

No names released :( but (told) wont be disappointed in the hire based on the interviews. :geek:
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Alvernia about open.

Alvernia
Bowdoin
Carroll (WI)
Cazenovia
Concordia Chicago
Denison
Drew
Gettysburg
Guilford
Heidelberg
Keystone
Manhattanville
McDaniel
Medaille
Messiah
Plattsburgh
W&J
William Peace
Wilmington (OH)
palax4291

Post by palax4291 »

Messiah took down their posting about a week ago but then reposted it today and apparently canceled their camp last minute that was supposed to run next week because of the coaching situation. Haven't seen anything official and they haven't updated the camp website but heard that from someone who's kid was going. Not sure what that means but interesting anyway.

I would be surprised to hear that they are having trouble hiring. They've had a rough few years because of coaching but it seems like they reset before it was too late and gave whoever takes over an easier time with rebuilding. Better than if they had waited another year or two. It's a good school with strong academics and the program is well supported. The school expects all of their teams to be nationally competitive and is willing to put the money behind it. Not too many people would complain about that kind of support. Don't know what's going on but I am surprised to see them repost after it looked like they had a candidate or were at least close.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

I know they have a candidate on campus today and are looking to smoke ahead quickly if all goes well
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Apparently Messiah offered their top candidate and got turned down, I think they are now moving on to some plan B options...

Gettysburg has in person interviews this week, apparently 4 finalists will be interviewed. All very good options and I would assume means they would have someone in place by early/midweek next week.
lilax

Post by lilax »

boredatwork wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 am Gettysburg has in person interviews this week, apparently 4 finalists will be interviewed. All very good options and I would assume means they would have someone in place by early/midweek next week.
Any insight on who the finalists are or their backgrounds? (D1 Assistants or D3 Head Coaches)
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

I’ve been told that certain southern region D2 HC was on campus as a finalist. Also hearing two other HC were as well one with PLL ties.

Denison looking to announce by July 1

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”