Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CrazyPeople

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by CrazyPeople »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:46 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 am
steel_hop wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am So with just about nothing going in the span of about 48 hours, we have put almost 3 pages onto the page count. Navy here we come. I'd guess by September we will be approaching their numbers. Of course, they cheat to get to their numbers.
there are a couple of big things right now
-If Cuse and terps confirm benson/petro and if that facilitates anymore of our current or portal guys leaving there.
-if the srs decide to stay or not and if they don't if PM decides to reallocate those scholarship $ in upperclassmen transfers like kirson, underclassmen like szulak or punts the $ to future classes. 51 has made a strong case for the 3rd option.
I would be SHOCKED if anyone left JHU to go to Syracuse to follow Petro, if he gets the DC job there.
Not even JoJo Todaro? Originally a Cuse commit, who committed to Petro at JHU? He could have exactly what he wanted in that scenario...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

courtdog wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:45 am Who wants to wager PM schedules a lot of cupcakes next year to boost the win total? I'd argue he won't schedule 3/5 of these UVA, Navy, Loyola, UNC, Cuse
sounds like the line is 2.5. name your wager?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:45 am Who wants to wager PM schedules a lot of cupcakes next year to boost the win total? I'd argue he won't schedule 3/5 of these UVA, Navy, Loyola, UNC, Cuse
Did Milliman steal your girl or something? You've been taking random shots at the guy for months. There is zero evidence to suggest this will be the case.

Cuse, Loyola, and Navy were all on the schedule prior to the B1G's decision to go conference only. I don't know about UNC. PM wants UVA back on the schedule. I'm sure you'll recall that the Hoos were taken off the schedule under the previous staff.

Cornell routinely played a fairly tough schedule under Milliman. In addition to the Ivy, they faced Notre Dame, Syracuse, Ohio State, Penn State, Lehigh. I don't think he's interested in having many cupcakes.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:04 am
Did Milliman steal your girl or something? You've been taking random shots at the guy for months. There is zero evidence to suggest this will be the case.

Cuse, Loyola, and Navy were all on the schedule prior to the B1G's decision to go conference only. I don't know about UNC. PM wants UVA back on the schedule. I'm sure you'll recall that the Hoos were taken off the schedule under the previous staff.

Cornell routinely played a fairly tough schedule under Milliman. In addition to the Ivy, they faced Notre Dame, Syracuse, Ohio State, Penn State, Lehigh. I don't think he's interested in having many cupcakes.
I just get a kick out the Hopkins mentality on these boards. 4-9 = top ten team to some. Not even about PM. Think he's a good coach and will do a great job, I just think after the year they had in year one, I think some cupcakes will be laced in there next year thats all to keep some of these posters off his back.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:24 am

I just get a kick out the Hopkins mentality on these boards. 4-9 = top ten team to some. Not even about PM. Think he's a good coach and will do a great job, I just think after the year they had in year one, I think some cupcakes will be laced in there next year thats all to keep some of these posters off his back.
You said he was "completely unqualified" and a "joke." Now he's a good coach doing a great job? Have you made up your mind? Now you're saying he's going to schedule cupcakes? (Not going to happen.) What does that have to do with posters' mentality?

I don't know PM super well but I can absolutely promise you he doesn't give a sh*t about what anyone on this forum thinks about anything.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 am

You said he was "completely unqualified" and a "joke." Now he's a good coach doing a great job? Have you made up your mind? Now you're saying he's going to schedule cupcakes? (Not going to happen.) What does that have to do with posters' mentality?

I don't know PM super well but I can absolutely promise you he doesn't give a sh*t about what anyone on this forum thinks about anything.
The administration and "hiring" committee made the choice to hire PM which is what most hop alums spoken to had a major gripe with. Do I think he's qualified enough to earn that JHU HC title.... no. Still think he can be a good coach.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:35 am Apparently Glassmeyer had a season-ending injury in the preseason, so that explains that. (Hawley and Handsor did as well, though I don't know if they would have factored into plans if healthy.) DiPietro was also hurt in the season opener.

That means Jake Lilly was the only SSDM this year with any experience at the position. And it was only six games, at that.

The staff did a pretty incredible job piecing together a serviceable unit by moving Mabbett, Shure, Zinn, and Jaronski to shortie, and developing Martin relatively quickly. And then, of course, Mabbett got hurt as well. With better injury lucky and a more experienced group, the position should be a bit better in 2022.
I get that it's college lacrosse and the players are just kids and not really public figures and no one other than us obsessives really cares, but I just don't understand why they don't/can't/won't tell us these things. Makes me more optimistic about the position though, as I still think Glassmeyer can be a strong contributor. We might actually have above average SSDM play. Shocking, I know.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:48 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:35 am Apparently Glassmeyer had a season-ending injury in the preseason, so that explains that. (Hawley and Handsor did as well, though I don't know if they would have factored into plans if healthy.) DiPietro was also hurt in the season opener.

That means Jake Lilly was the only SSDM this year with any experience at the position. And it was only six games, at that.

The staff did a pretty incredible job piecing together a serviceable unit by moving Mabbett, Shure, Zinn, and Jaronski to shortie, and developing Martin relatively quickly. And then, of course, Mabbett got hurt as well. With better injury lucky and a more experienced group, the position should be a bit better in 2022.
I get that it's college lacrosse and the players are just kids and not really public figures and no one other than us obsessives really cares, but I just don't understand why they don't/can't/won't tell us these things. Makes me more optimistic about the position though, as I still think Glassmeyer can be a strong contributor. We might actually have above average SSDM play. Shocking, I know.
HIPAA. Can't just put stuff like that out there. This isn't professional sports.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:38 pm

HIPAA. Can't just put stuff like that out there. This isn't professional sports.
Understand you can't disclose health information under HIPAA, but I would have thought that you could say that a guy won't be playing for a season, without going into specifics. I would guess that the bigtime college football and basketball programs actually bother to get the necessary waivers from the players, as there's a lot of information out there about injuries in those sports?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 am You said he was "completely unqualified" and a "joke." Now he's a good coach doing a great job? Have you made up your mind? Now you're saying he's going to schedule cupcakes? (Not going to happen.) What does that have to do with posters' mentality?

I think he does actually care what the alumni think, but I'm sure he realizes that performance on the field is what will keep the alumni happy. The main thing people were looking for is improvement, and the team definitely improved towards the end of the season and especially in the BIG TEN tournament. That's definitely something he can highlight for recruits, transfers, and alumni.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:53 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 am You said he was "completely unqualified" and a "joke." Now he's a good coach doing a great job? Have you made up your mind? Now you're saying he's going to schedule cupcakes? (Not going to happen.) What does that have to do with posters' mentality?

I think he does actually care what the alumni think, but I'm sure he realizes that performance on the field is what will keep the alumni happy. The main thing people were looking for is improvement, and the team definitely improved towards the end of the season and especially in the BIG TEN tournament. That's definitely something he can highlight for recruits, transfers, and alumni.
I should clarify: I don't think he cares what anonymous FanLax posters—many of whom have no connection to the program (and some aren't even alumni)—think about his way of doing things. He's not seeking to please us. Doesn't mean he doesn't care about any alums whatsoever. Of course he does.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

That is literally not what HIPAA means at all. Whatsoever. Literally has absolutely nothing to do with it.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

By the end of the year, our SSDM play was well above average. So, while it would be shocking historically, I would be shocked if we didn't pick up where we left off next year. Part is personnel (for instance, Zinn and Martin's emergence in particular), but part is that the SSDMs are far less exposed in JK's system than Petro's.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:02 pm

By the end of the year, our SSDM play was well above average. So, while it would be shocking historically, I would be shocked if we didn't pick up where we left off next year. Part is personnel (for instance, Zinn and Martin's emergence in particular), but part is that the SSDMs are far less exposed in JK's system than Petro's.
Totally agree, was just being snide. Zinn, Martin, Jaronski, Lilly, Glassmeyer (not sold on Mabbett, just not sure he's quick enough) has the makings of being a very strong group, and I'd expect them to get better with more time and practice in JK's system. And if we get good goalie play, the perception of the whole defense will likely shift markedly.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:11 pm

That is literally not what HIPAA means at all. Whatsoever. Literally has absolutely nothing to do with it.
The Privacy Rule, a Federal law, gives you rights over your health information and sets rules and limits on who can look at and receive your health information. The Privacy Rule applies to all forms of individuals' protected health information, whether electronic, written, or oral. The Security Rule is a Federal law that requires security for health information in electronic form.
Of course these rights can be waved by the individual and the information can be revealed to a designee.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

2 long suffering programs let legends go
syracuse ad hired july 2016 ad employment at coaches last stop 15 references by name to ex coach "Heard from alumni congratulating me"" AD: I asked 2 alumni (about the search), in the family""I accepted the job in 2 seconds""I already work in the building""My assistant is already recruiting"15 local media members "the outgoing coach has already called me several times and I have plans to meet with him again" 15 references to coaching style 0 ivy league mentions 10 references to playing career "outgoing coach and I had conversations over weeks about the future" press conference length 40 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6BhbaiudM

Hopkins ad hired july 2016 ad employment at coaches last stop 0 references by name to ex coach no references to alumni congratulating him on new job "AD:(laughing)Our search committee created a broad list of candidates, connection was not a consideration""I had to ask my wife if interviewing was something I should consider""I don't know the program inside too well""I haven't begun to look for staff yet" 1 reference to coaching style 1 local media member at news conference 0 mentions of outgoing coach 5 ivy league mentions 0 references to playing career "outgoing coach and I had conversations over weeks about the future" press conference length 20 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfm8ERy01E

Pretty jarring contrast.2 completely different athletic department cultures and agendas. syracuse wanting to stay in its family and baker really wanting to break in a new direction.
ptjhu

Post by ptjhu »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 am

... PM ... doesn't give a sh*t about what anyone on this forum thinks about anything.
How can he not care what I think?!?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Preston ran a column in the baltimore sun this morning on the Petro-Gait marriage which he says is a done deal
-Petro had no other opportunities he said and wouldn't have been a fit at any other level of the sport
-If petro had stayed out he echoes quints earlier comments that he wouldn't have been able to return to d1 coaching
-spends a lot of time on a theme he made last year when petro was dismissed that lacrosse is moving beyond just syracuse/hopkins and the maryland/LI/upstate new york hotbeds and that this job will be tougher than if they had paired up 20 years ago

what he didn't address
-The issues Petro had at Hopkins that have been discussed here for a long time and whether they'll continue at syracuse. It's more of something for cuse than us now I guess.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:18 pm Preston ran a column in the baltimore sun this morning on the Petro-Gait marriage which he says is a done deal
-Petro had no other opportunities he said and wouldn't have been a fit at any other level of the sport
-If petro had stayed out he echoes quints earlier comments that he wouldn't have been able to return to d1 coaching
-spends a lot of time on a theme he made last year when petro was dismissed that lacrosse is moving beyond just syracuse/hopkins and the maryland/LI/upstate new york hotbeds and that this job will be tougher than if they had paired up 20 years ago

what he didn't address
-The issues Petro had at Hopkins that have been discussed here for a long time and whether they'll continue at syracuse. It's more of something for cuse than us now I guess.
This is a priceless opportunity for Coach Pietramala to resurrect his Division I coaching career. Should be interesting to see what he does with it. Best wishes to him.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:47 am
jhu06 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:18 pm Preston ran a column in the baltimore sun this morning on the Petro-Gait marriage which he says is a done deal

what he didn't address
This is a priceless opportunity for Coach Pietramala to resurrect his Division I coaching career. Should be interesting to see what he does with it. Best wishes to him.

DocBarrister
If he can change his philosophy.
It's also hard for someone who's been a head coach for a long time to play second fiddle.
My first order thought is that this marriage won't last long.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”