Rutgers 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: Rutgers 2021

Post by InsiderRoll »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 am
lorin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 am
Superlite2green wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:58 am
bananas wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:21 pm To all players interested in a top lax program

RUTGERS finished 6th (6) in media poll .... could have been as high as fourth.

History is being made.

Hopefully RU can build off of this year!

Be part of a squad that can win both the BIG and National Championship

...this is a unpaid promotion endorsed by your local chapter of bananas..
Are you being serious?
whats not to be serious about? they played maryland well both games despite the score of the first one and went to OT against UNC (how many weeks was UNC ranked #1?) In reality, if BB would have called the damn time out - they probably could have won. RU is highly underrated - i blame it on the joke of a football team but even they are turning it around. Brand new, world class lacrosse facility was just built, it's a great academic school - what's not to like about RU?
Rutgers had a great year and a very good team in 2021. They were focused and their veteran group led them well in a year that was full of distractions for many teams. But they lose a ton and simply don’t have the recruiting to reload. And losing by 1 to a very talented UNC isn’t impressive to kids. Beating Lehigh isn’t impressive when your recruiting against the rest of the ACC/B1G. If anything this season shows that if you load them up with All-American transfers, 5th/6th year players, and half the league is down - they still can’t win a B1G championship.

They will not all of the sudden build momentum in recruiting and get kids like UNC and UVA, just isn’t going to happen. People forget quickly - especially 16-18 year olds. They might get a small boost for the 23 class - but their strategy should remain the same. Get recruits that fall through the cracks and focus on transfers. They are definitely getting involved in the transfer market right now, but the Kirsts fell into their lap, it won’t be as easy with kids that don’t have a connection.

Other schools have made far more impressive tourney runs and fallen off the map quick. Ohio State ‘17, Towson ‘17, Penn State ‘19, Brown ‘16.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Hey Inside Roll,

Will you admit you were wrong after next year's Rutgers '22 team competes at a high level or will you just go away? It's ok to have an opinion but why trash Rutgers or other program?
Ram1965

Post by Ram1965 »

I am Not sure why Rutgers 5th years are any different then anyone else’s? Denver and duke had more “ prized “ transfers than any team . Rutgers had 2 transfers that played, and one had not played much at his previous college. Rutgers had 3 grad students that stayed . None of this is egregious. (There are a few rosters out there with 22 year old sophomores.) Seems to me that the face off transfer ( Soph) was of huge benefit. If you look at the previous year Rutgers only needed to do slightly better at FO to have a whole different outcome.

Rutgers needs to replace the goalie and maybe one other piece but other then that they seem to be in good shape.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ram1965 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm I am Not sure why Rutgers 5th years are any different then anyone else’s? Denver and duke had more “ prized “ transfers than any team . Rutgers had 2 transfers that played, and one had not played much at his previous college. Rutgers had 3 grad students that stayed . None of this is egregious. (There are a few rosters out there with 22 year old sophomores.) Seems to me that the face off transfer ( Soph) was of huge benefit. If you look at the previous year Rutgers only needed to do slightly better at FO to have a whole different outcome.

Rutgers needs to replace the goalie and maybe one other piece but other then that they seem to be in good shape.
I don't think he's saying it's more or less egregious, but rather Rutgers relied heavily on those three guys offensively whereas a team like Duke has a ton of other options, lots more depth, and highly regarded recruits coming in. So they won't have a problem reloading. Does Rutgers have those things? It's fair to ask. Losing your top three scorers (who were your top 3 by a LARGE margin) is difficult for any team to overcome in one year.

I am rooting for Rutgers (except when they play Hopkins), as I think their success is great for the conference. But it's not hating or trashing Rutgers to suggest it will be an enormous challenge in '22 to get back to where they were in '21 due to the production, experience, and leadership lost on offense.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:19 pm
Ram1965 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm I am Not sure why Rutgers 5th years are any different then anyone else’s? Denver and duke had more “ prized “ transfers than any team . Rutgers had 2 transfers that played, and one had not played much at his previous college. Rutgers had 3 grad students that stayed . None of this is egregious. (There are a few rosters out there with 22 year old sophomores.) Seems to me that the face off transfer ( Soph) was of huge benefit. If you look at the previous year Rutgers only needed to do slightly better at FO to have a whole different outcome.

I don't think he's saying it's more or less egregious, but rather Rutgers relied heavily on those three guys offensively whereas a team like Duke has a ton of other options, lots more depth, and highly regarded recruits coming in. So they won't have a problem reloading. Does Rutgers have those things? It's fair to ask. Losing your top three scorers (who were your top 3 by a LARGE margin) is difficult for any team to overcome in one year.

I am rooting for Rutgers (except when they play Hopkins), as I think their success is great for the conference. But it's not hating or trashing Rutgers to suggest it will be an enormous challenge in '22 to get back to where they were in '21 due to the production, experience, and leadership lost on offense.
I don't disagree with your comment on RU...but they are the low hanging fruit "easy target" to talk about when it comes to older guys...I'm sure those guys would have rather not gone through multiple injuries with very tough recoveries...in a sport where many "east coast" players are held back or PG'd to gain a physical advantage, it's funny that people keep talking about Rutgers age....at least we won't have to talk about that next year...

Others schools took way more grad transfers last year, see Denver, ND, and others...

Now, your points are valid and spot on....RU will struggle to replace that scoring and leadership...it's not even debatable...it will be an issue...with that said, I think they return a ton of talent, a number of guys have already declared to come back for 5th years...I especially like their midfield and short sticks and they will be right there in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten...they're not winning the conference, but I don't see a last place finish either...

Let's see how the portal plays out...I know Brecht is very active and will grab a few guys to help fill the voids...

I see them as a 3-4 place team in the conference...

They were excellent this year...right there in the mix with the best teams.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Laxfan#1969, I agree with your assessment. Time will tell if brecht can overcome the negative recruiting against rutgers as RU has not had the storied history of the blue blood programs. The top 100 high school players go to a handful of teams; predominantly ACC, IVY, and some Big Ten. With the new transfer portal rules, Rutgers can offer starter minutes versus a guarantee of NCAA tourney participation. The difference becomes depth and staying healthy. It is the same in basketball and football. Rutgers is not a lacrosse factory.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Winning breeds Winning

NJ is one of the hotbeds in lacrosse, keep the best and RU be up there very year. Kirsts have shined the light on our path for others to follow.

RU well situated to draw talent from LI, Conn. Lower NY , Pa and even Maryland.

Beautiful facilities, admin support for program, good fanbase and network, very respected academics both undergrad and grad that offers much value for $ , d1 football and basketball, great student life.

Lax team finished 6th in national rankings , a ot loss away from Final four. Setup here for Knights to be a top lax program, to annually be a top ten and to eventually win it all.

Up to BB to keep the momentum going and limit the slippage. . Winning breeds Winning.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

bananas, as you are aware, Rutgers sports, like most large institutions in power five conferences, pays very little attention to lacrosse. Football and basketball dominate. That said, Rutgers location is one of the hotbeds in lacrosse. Your points are well taken but the culture at rutgers does not recognize the potential and their marketing for lacrosse is non existent.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

I think it will be an arms race in the B1G to reload, Ohio State, Penn State and now RU have all had their flash in the pan moments nationally but nobody in the B1G era has really competed with Maryland as the true second fiddle. I think BB knows where his bread is buttered currently and its as Transfer U, especially for NJ underclassman and grad students looking for Biz... The biggest thing RU's run did this year is hopefully made some in-state kids think twice, its going to take time but now that the Rodkin is open and the tournament drought is over hopefully BB and Co can restock enough via transfers til recruiting classes that are touring the Rodkin and recruited off of this years success arrive on campus.

Keeping talent in state is way easier said then done, 90% of the top tier talent comes from above New Brunswick in state and those kids and more importantly their parents aren't looking to send them to RU, pulling a Conn kid is almost unheard of for RU.

For what its worth I have heard Colin Kirst is scheduled to be back so you can cross Goalie off the list for another year.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

jerseyjames, Nowhere have i heard that colin kirst will be back. That would be terrific when confirmed.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Xanders twitter

Former @PennMensLax midfielder Mitch Bartolo will head to @RUmlax as a fifth-year in 2022, he confirmed to IL. A physical presence at 6'6, 225 lbs., Bartolo broke out for 17g/7a in 2019 and was arguably among the top five grad transfers in the portal:
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Rutgers is going to be fine.

Getting over the hump and having success in the post-season will do more for the program than any transfer. The players needed to experience success, and they're going to play with a ton of confidence.

Adding Bartolo and Jacoby will certainly help keep that offense dangerous. Is Colin Kirst returning?
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

We're not done in the portal...more to come

This team has a lot of guys returning...good players

I'm hearing the same on Kirst BTW

And as far as recruiting and the arms race....the Rodkin is fantastic...I've been in it....and winning helps too...

Good times
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:56 pm We're not done in the portal...more to come

And as far as recruiting and the arms race....the Rodkin is fantastic...I've been in it....and winning helps too...

Good times
was kirst injured/season ending in his first few years?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:00 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:56 pm We're not done in the portal...more to come

Good times
Says nothing of that sort on his Lehigh page. And he played in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Nothing about any kind of redshirt. And then obviously he played again in 2021. So that’s 4 full years of eligibility used. Not going to say anyone on here is getting false intel but I’m confused as to how he would have another year.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:09 am

Good times
Says nothing of that sort on his Lehigh page. And he played in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Nothing about any kind of redshirt. And then obviously he played again in 2021. So that’s 4 full years of eligibility used. Not going to say anyone on here is getting false intel but I’m confused as to how he would have another year.
I believe they are actively pursuing a waiver for a retroactive medical redshirt for one of his years at Lehigh.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:28 am

Good times
I believe they are actively pursuing a waiver for a retroactive medical redshirt for one of his years at Lehigh.

He did not see the field in 2020. And while that year was given back, that may be what some have been referencing on here.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 am

Good times

He did not see the field in 2020. And while that year was given back, that may be what some have been referencing on here.
Everyone got the year back in 2020. He’s played 4 years of college without a redshirt. So without a retroactive redshirt of some kind, which seems specious but we’ll see what happens, he’s used up all of his eligibility.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Good times
:lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 am
Tdemling6 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 am

Good times

Everyone got the year back in 2020. He’s played 4 years of college without a redshirt. So without a retroactive redshirt of some kind, which seems specious but we’ll see what happens, he’s used up all of his eligibility.
This certainly seems right. He has played 4 seasons over 5 years. The COVID waiver means 2020 doesn’t count as one of your 4 seasons, nor as one of the usual 5 years to complete eligibility. In essence you now have 6 to play 4 and 2020 isn’t one of those 4. He played 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021. You do not get a red shirt year just because you don’t play and ride the pine, it has to be applied for prospectively based on injury or because, early in the season, the coach decides you just aren’t going to see the field that year and doesn’t want to burn a year of your eligibility. There is no retrospective red shirting for just not seeing PT. Rarely it is possible to do one retrospectively for medical reasons and if there is any chance of Kirst playing another year I guess that would be it, otherwise he has played 4 seasons not counting 2020 and is out of eligibility.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”