All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

oops.

My nit with this article, indeed with all those who are so convinced that proving how this began (either way) has serious consequences, is that it poses a binary response whereas seems to me that the mere existence that either could have happened is sufficient to come to the conclusions that:

1) Lab safety protocols should be greatly beefed up and rigorously monitored by international third parties.

2) Zoonotic transmission regularly produces deadly viruses, including pandemics, and thus, much greater care should be exercised in how animals are handled (eg not stacked with feces dropping between species!)

3) Virus research is crucial to prevention and swift response to limit potential pandemics. Do it, but do it carefully!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I don't see where it makes much difference from a scientific perspective, which it turns out to be. It has always been a Trumpnista political issue.

We know both are possible. If zoonotic, would be nice to know which member(s) of the zoo. But still likely not a big deal. If lab leak, not the first, won't be the last. Has happened in every country with the know how, either biological or chemical or both.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

UCLA study shows states that took covid more seriously had better economic performance in 2020:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo ... 25163.html

Meh, it’s a bunch of higher ed, most likely lib, know-it-alls. Why should we believe them?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Remind me, exactly how many pinheads can dance on an angel?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... eak-theory

“A Nobel prize-winning US biologist, who has been widely quoted describing a “smoking gun” to support the thesis that Covid-19 was genetically modified and escaped from a Wuhan lab, has said he overstated the case.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

this is all riveting. i have a question for those informed.

what's the difference between an animal eating feces in the wild vs. however things are passing in a wet market?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45 pm this is all riveting. i have a question for those informed.

what's the difference between an animal eating feces in the wild vs. however things are passing in a wet market?
The wet market may provide a more varied ordure spread for the denizens.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45 pm this is all riveting. i have a question for those informed.

holy crap, now i gotta look up ordure?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Possibly one is in a natural habitat and the other isn’t. Mix in people and you have a problem. Actually habitat disruption has contributed to infectious diseases.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/ ... .2018.0403
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:56 pm

I think he is referring to hors d'oeuvres, which most people have no idea how to spell (and even though long ago I had multiple years of French, I still had to look it up to be sure...).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://news.yahoo.com/study-shows-hydr ... 00816.html

we should look into this therapeutically.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:44 pm

I think he is referring to hors d'oeuvres, which most people have no idea how to spell (and even though long ago I had multiple years of French, I still had to look it up to be sure...).
thanks, but maybe no way he missed by that much and that kind of mileage and linguistic (gb to france) divergence?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

more like a clever wink wink play on the word sound...ordure means excrement so was quite correctly used, yet sounds like hors d'oevres...a spread...of excrement...more varied...
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 pm

thanks, but maybe no way he missed by that much and that kind of mileage and linguistic (gb to france) divergence?
Somebody missed all right.

It is unlikely that the animals in a wet market would naturally be exposed to such a variety of dung as there are probably few natural settings where all are co-located. Comprende?

P.S. Post-1066, there was a profound French influence in GB.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:42 pm

more like a clever wink wink play on the word sound...ordure means excrement so was quite correctly used, yet sounds like hors d'oevres...a spread...of excrement...more varied...
ok. nice. i wasn't doing homework on this one.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:43 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 pm

Somebody missed all right.

It is unlikely that the animals in a wet market would naturally be exposed to such a variety of dung as there are probably few natural settings where all are co-located. Comprende?

P.S. Post-1066, there was a profound French influence in GB.
i don't comprende? so what's the dummy version?
old salt

Post by old salt »

From my local county delegate :
Grants up to $250k for Groups Supporting Vaccine Education & Outreach
Groups across the state can receive $50,000-$250,000 to support vaccine education, outreach and community vaccination clinic from MDH for the Community COVID-19 Vaccination Project.

The Maryland Lottery will give away $40,000 a day for 40 days to 40 COVID-19 vaccinated residents 18 years and older. Drawings will be held from Tues., May 25, 2021 through Sun., July 4, 2021. Details on how to enter HERE.

All Marylander's 12 and older are eligible for COVID-19 vaccination. The Navy Marine Corp Stadium Mass Vaccination Site accepts walk-ups first come, first served between 9:00am & 11:00am Wednesday - Sunday. Or, schedule an appointment immediately HERE or call 1-855-MD-GOVAX (1-855-634-6829).

Schedule an appointment for vaccination through AACO Health Dept. HERE

Hospital Vaccine Sites: Vaccinations are available through hospitals. You can find a location near you HERE

Federal Pharmacy Program Sites: Find a vaccine through the federal pharmacy program HERE

For demand-response curb to curb service call 410-222-0023 or 410-222-0047. For taxi vouchers call 410-222-4222.
Vaccinations are readily available for all Americans who want them.
For hesitaters, doubters, or those with trust issues, use it it or lose it.
Time to start shipping unused doses overseas, before they expire.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

I might have missed someone posting this, but a good discussion on the issues of the origins of the pandemic virus:

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-762/

Return to “POLITICS”