COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

If the lawyers say Desko can't suspend Scanlan for the allegation (until it's investigated), then can't Desko go, "ok, then I suspend him for being an idiot or breaking team rules or whatever"? Wasn't the initial suspension for "violating team expectations"? I find it pretty hard to believe that Title IX was preventing the player from being suspended for any reason whatsoever. It's not blanket protection. If Scanlan did anything at all that made the program look bad—irrespective of pending criminal activity—the coach can kick him off the team for that. That decision doesn't have to hinge on an allegation of domestic violence. Especially because, as Quint (who's more plugged in than anyone here) said on the IL podcast this week, there were red flags with him prior to the incident in question—and those weren't properly addressed.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

No inside info or law expertise from me either. And Desko is a coach I have generally liked (when his team isn't beating Cornell of course) and thought was a decent guy, so I hate to see it end like this for him. If he really was being jerked around by SU lawyers (unlikely, IMO, but far from impossible), then that's a shame. But IMO, preponderance of the evidence is that he wanted Scanlan back because he wanted to win because he thought losing was the bigger threat to his job.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:10 pm If the lawyers say Desko can't suspend Scanlan for the allegation (until it's investigated), then can't Desko go, "ok, then I suspend him for being an idiot or breaking team rules or whatever"? Wasn't the initial suspension for "violating team expectations"? I find it pretty hard to believe that Title IX was preventing the player from being suspended for any reason whatsoever. It's not blanket protection. If Scanlan did anything at all that made the program look bad—irrespective of pending criminal activity—the coach can kick him off the team for that. That decision doesn't have to hinge on an allegation of domestic violence.
Sure, but you're not responsible for protecting your client. These lawyers were.

What I'm saying tracks. Because if lawyers had nothing to do with it, and Desko both suspended and reinstated Scanlan with no outside influence...why did the players come out in full support of Desko, and at the same time, told the AD they'd walk if Scanlan played? You'd think the player would be livid at Desko's choices if he made them on his own, right?
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:10 pm Especially because, as Quint (who's more plugged in than anyone here) said on the IL podcast this week, there were red flags with him prior to the incident in question—and those weren't properly addressed.
Yes. But notice he didn't say where. Did they sweep his behavior under the rug at Loyola? Or did this behavior fall from the sky just this year? If we're going to throw rocks at Desko without knowing the whole story.....
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:08 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 pm there has been lots of convo on this, particularly on the cuse boards. there is an extremely good chance title ix and the university's interpretations drove the decisions around it from start to finish.
I can't see how Title IX has anything to do with it (but as I said I haven't been following). Scanlan was suspended, re-instated, then re-suspended. I can't see any way for this chain of decisions to be based on competent legal advice.

To wit: Scanlan was re-instated, there were reports that the team refused to practice with him, captains went to the AD, Scanlan was re-suspended. That's not lawyers in action there.
just so you have the timeline correct, scanlan wasn't re-suspended until charges were brought.
CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:29 pm No inside info or law expertise from me either. And Desko is a coach I have generally liked (when his team isn't beating Cornell of course) and thought was a decent guy, so I hate to see it end like this for him. If he really was being jerked around by SU lawyers (unlikely, IMO, but far from impossible), then that's a shame. But IMO, preponderance of the evidence is that he wanted Scanlan back because he wanted to win because he thought losing was the bigger threat to his job.
everyone can have an opinion. but there's no preponderance of evidence that he:
- wanted him back
- because he wanted to win
- because he thought losing was the bigger threat to his job

imo.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I phrased that badly. IMO, the preponderance of the evidence (which primarily consists of statements made by Desko) is that Desko wanted Scanlan back. His reasons are pure speculation.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:27 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:15 pm -SU's lawyers said "you can't do that without Title Ix due process", and reinstates him.
That's absurd. Players get suspended all the time for all sorts of reasons in all sports. Title IX might require SU to keep up a scholarship Scanlan was promised, but that's it.
No. You need to read Title IX and recent case law, especially at the appellate level. They are directly about due process. “a fan”’s timeline has significant merit.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:18 pm I phrased that badly. IMO, the preponderance of the evidence (which primarily consists of statements made by Desko) is that Desko wanted Scanlan back. His reasons are pure speculation.
do you have those available? the one i recall is they asked him when he'd be back, and his reponse was they would let him know. paraphrasing.

did he say he wanted him back?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

OK, here is an IL article that backs up the notion of a clown-car of lawyers being at fault:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ment/57889

The one thing that doesn't fit is Desko saying "it was my decision" to re-instate Scanlan. But maybe he felt he had to take responsibility.

I think we can all agree that the whole thing was badly handled. But I agree that I was too quick to lay primary blame on Desko.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:49 pm OK, here is an IL article that backs up the notion of a clown-car of lawyers being at fault:

The one thing that doesn't fit is Desko saying "it was my decision" to re-instate Scanlan. But maybe he felt he had to take responsibility.

I think we can all agree that the whole thing was badly handled. But I agree that I was too quick to lay primary blame on Desko.
thanks.

2 general outcomes were in play with their decision to quickly suspend scanlan, and then reinstate:

- "john, we've looked at this and we don't see much risk or downside in reinstating him from a legal perspective. it's your call."

- "john, as it turns out, he needs to be reinstated for now." and desko takes a bullet. if you know john desko, this is not an unlikely scenario from his perspective.

then his players back him with goat emojis, etc.

again, you can read whatever tea leaves you'd like. we're all doing that. i agree it was a cluster.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:49 pm OK, here is an IL article that backs up the notion of a clown-car of lawyers being at fault:

This is consistent with the fact that Trump’s education secretary, Betsy Devos, finalized a new Title IX rule intended to give more protections to students, the vast majority of whom are men, accused of sexual assault and rape.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/06/85173363 ... al-assault

The Trump rule’s increased favoritism towards accused abusers and alleged rapists, instead of their alleged victims, would readily explain what happened in the Scanlan case.

Wouldn’t cast blame on the Syracuse lawyers from what we know at this point.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:59 pm

This is consistent with the fact that Trump’s education secretary, Betsy Devos, finalized a new Title IX rule intended to give more protections to students, the vast majority of whom are men, accused of sexual assault and rape.

The Trump rule’s increased favoritism towards accused abusers and alleged rapists, instead of their alleged victims, would readily explain what happened in the Scanlan case.

Don't worry, I am sure that soon educational institutions will be able to drop any pretense of due process again.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:31 am

Don't worry, I am sure that soon educational institutions will be able to drop any pretense of due process again.
For whom, the alleged victim or purported perpetrator?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Anyways...

It seems there are assistant positions that are open at:

Boston U.
Holy Cross
LIU
Marquette
Syracuse (2)
Wagner

I’m sure there’s a handful of others as well.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

+1
colbulmad

Post by colbulmad »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:04 am Anyways...

Boston U.
Holy Cross
LIU
Marquette
Syracuse (2)
Wagner

+Colgate
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

colbulmad wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:54 am

Boston U.
Holy Cross
LIU
Marquette
Syracuse (2)
Wagner

+Colgate
Who left Colgate?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:37 am

For whom, the alleged victim or purported perpetrator?

DocBarrister
For the party whom the educational institution intends to sanction.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Boston U.
Holy Cross
LIU
Marquette
Syracuse (2)
Wagner

+Colgate
It looks as though Fossner is no longer at Delaware. They have promoted their Vol/DOLO Trey Wilkes to full time assistant.
colbulmad

Post by colbulmad »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:07 am

Boston U.
Holy Cross
LIU
Marquette
Syracuse (2)
Wagner

+Colgate
Who left Colgate?
Cooper who was the OC
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

Decent amount of assistant openings so far-have imagine more will be announced in the next two weeks also.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”