Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:36 am
nyjay wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:15 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:26 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 am Any word on whether Keegan Khan has visited, or will visit, Johns Hopkins on his transfer interview tour?

DocBarrister :)
He did not. As I understand it was between Maryland, UNC, UVA. I’d expect an announcement today or tomorrow.
Maryland, UNC, UVa? That's just gross. Shocking Duke isn't on the list. Free agency in college lax isn't much different than it is in MLB, I guess. It's going to take some getting used to.
That list of finalists would suggest that the intel that was posted here that he wants to play behind the cage was not entirely accurate.

Remember this when fans of certain teams act all sanctimonious because their teams didn't take in as many transfers as others. It's not for a lack of trying!

I'm not sure why UVA would even want him—they clearly do not need another ball-carrying attackman. It would also mean three righties on attack and another year of Cormier running midfield. And perhaps more young talent heading for the hills, a la Maher. Would do more harm than good for them, IMO.

If Maryland gets Donville, Khan, and Murphy, they are also going to have some unhappy campers waiting in the wings. And Tillman would supplant Corrigan/Dino as lax twitter's Enemy Numero Uno for the upcoming season.

I agree with you re: Mitchell, seems like he could be a decent fit but given the Calvert Hall connection my bet would be on UNC for him. Especially given how much they lose at the midfield. I'm not seeing a whole lot of other obvious transfer candidates who are middies with multiple years of eligibility. IF there's a good fit I'd expect Milliman to capitalize, but he's also not going to force it. We have 8 offensive contributors returning in DeSo, Epstein, Degnon, Grimes, McDermott, Peshko, Angelus, Keogh, and between getting Chauvette back from injury, maybe a guy like Raposo or Bauer emerging, and the incoming freshmen, there may not be a pressing need for another guy. I like the Bartolo kid from Penn but he'd only be a 1-year rental.
That list of finalists suggests Khan wants to win and go to a good (or at least decent) and fun school, all of which is entirely reasonable. But it's still all final four teams. I'd be a fan of a little more year-to-year parity, but I guess that's easy to say as a Hop fan at this point.

I've said it before, but really wish Murphy had stayed. We don't really need more A-men, but he would have been fun in this offense. I'm sure there's a story there, but from a fan's perspective it's just sad to see him go. Really hope he goes somewhere other than to the Terps.

I don't expect Mitchell would actually come, but he does seem like a good fit. Of those 8 contributors, I don't see that many true middies, other than Peshko and maybe Degnon.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:53 am
10stone5 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:50 am On the defensive side,

there is a real solid short stick D,
good size, good speed, a cover middie,
originally a Cornell commit,
probably two years remaining.
Are you not going to tell us his name?
Peter St. Geme
he’s out of St. Ignatius (CA).
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

So with just about nothing going in the span of about 48 hours, we have put almost 3 pages onto the page count. Navy here we come. I'd guess by September we will be approaching their numbers. Of course, they cheat to get to their numbers.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am So with just about nothing going in the span of about 48 hours, we have put almost 3 pages onto the page count. Navy here we come. I'd guess by September we will be approaching their numbers. Of course, they cheat to get to their numbers.
Just subtract 86 from their total.

They are at 1.

Sad.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Edit Report Quote
Post by MDlaxfan76 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:26 pm

OCanada wrote: ↑Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:22 pm
MDlax. You are omitting the institution in your calculation when it comes to recruitment etc

MDLAX wrote:
Didn't intend to do so...are you saying that recruiting big, aggressive, fast defensemen is easier at Syracuse than Hopkins? Probably true regardless of position, but I'm not so sure there's something uniquely true about defenders with those qualities.

Or do I misunderstand?

I think Petro could have recruited the horses to come to Hopkins that are necessary, but ER made that really, really difficult.
OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:01 am MDlax

Put another way choosing to consider a school as a potential choice involves factors that the institution controls. For example net cost to families; admission standards, support level of program, size, sports profile eg power conference, friends who attend, alumni relations, workload effort required to remain in school etc

It’s more than a coach identifying top 10 targets a defense without considering the filter of the institution.
I think we'd be in agreement with all that. Very much agree that these filters matter.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't youngsters who filter through those and are thus 'recruitable', indeed 'winnable'.

My point is simply that selecting the right ones, from this subset, matters a great deal.

For instance, my son's HS classmate and who I'd helped coach for many years in various rec sports, Robby Haus, had long had Hopkins as his #1 choice. He was a 4 year starter at Ohio State, Big 10 D Player of the Year, captain.... None of those filters at Hopkins was an impediment...but as a sophomore starter at Gilman School he was seen as "too small", 'not fast enough' to get the nod from Hopkins.

ER was the problem. Same decision a year or 18 months later might have been a very different answer.

How many other 'misses' were there like this one? Only takes a couple to be a huge difference.

On goalies, I've been through that analysis a bunch of times on these threads and LP. Picking tenders based on freshmen or sophomore year level of play is crazy IMO. Sure, every once in awhile it could work out, but boy oh boy it's unlikely to, IMO. And it didn't for Hopkins. Again and again and again. ER.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:33 am
ER was the problem. Same decision a year or 18 months later might have been a very different answer.

How many other 'misses' were there like this one? Only takes a couple to be a huge difference.

On goalies, I've been through that analysis a bunch of times on these threads and LP. Picking tenders based on freshmen or sophomore year level of play is crazy IMO. Sure, every once in awhile it could work out, but boy oh boy it's unlikely to, IMO. And it didn't for Hopkins. Again and again and again. ER.
Poor goaltending, smurf ssdms, passive position defense. Ugh.
What a relief to be rid of those things.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

How many times will we hear about the Robby Haus story do you think?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm How many times will we hear about the Robby Haus story do you think?
I hope enough to get us to 89 pages.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hopkins social media accounts begging the PLL to give Cole Williams a shot is somewhat unbecoming. It’s pro lacrosse. If he’s good enough or a desired commodity they will pick up the phone.
Wheels

Re: Keegan Khan

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:50 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 am Any word on whether Keegan Khan has visited, or will visit, Johns Hopkins on his transfer interview tour?

No idea, he may have but if the rumor that he wants to play at X is true, I can’t really see why he’d pick us. We already have two guys that can play there. I also have no idea if we’re even interested—as others have mentioned it sure seems like the staff is mostly into guys with multiple years of eligiblity. Khan only has 1 more. Maybe he’s talented enough where you go for it anyway. Long story short I highly doubt we’re one of the favorites to land him. My first guess rhymes with Puke. I’m sure Brian Brecht is sending him a gift basket as well.
I did hear from a very good source that every B1G team reached out to him, plus the usual ACC suspects in UVA, UNC, and Duke (no ND). Richmond was also mentioned, as was returning to Nova..who made a really good pitch to keep him. I don't have the exact quote but "wants to play at X and play for a championship" were mentioned. For the list of teams, both of those wants might be mutually exclusive. UVA and UNC are kinda set at X, no? The Terps need to replace Bernhardt and DeMaio. Donville is about as good as you can get with DeMaio, but the Terps do have Eric Malever waiting to play in Bernhardt's position..and Malever played attack in the 4th quarter of the title game when UVA shorted Maltz in the crease. So I'm not sure Tillman could promise a specific position to Khan.

Michigan has/d a good connection with Khan. Conry recruited him while at Maryland. Hop wouldn't make a lot of sense, either, because of DeSimone and Epstein already having very similar skill sets. If Duke's been eliminated, that'd be a surprising twist to me. They're definitely in the shop for someone like Khan. But I guess we'll find out soon enough.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wheels wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:47 pm

No idea, he may have but if the rumor that he wants to play at X is true, I can’t really see why he’d pick us. We already have two guys that can play there. I also have no idea if we’re even interested—as others have mentioned it sure seems like the staff is mostly into guys with multiple years of eligiblity. Khan only has 1 more. Maybe he’s talented enough where you go for it anyway. Long story short I highly doubt we’re one of the favorites to land him. My first guess rhymes with Puke. I’m sure Brian Brecht is sending him a gift basket as well.
I did hear from a very good source that every B1G team reached out to him, plus the usual ACC suspects in UVA, UNC, and Duke (no ND). Richmond was also mentioned, as was returning to Nova..who made a really good pitch to keep him. I don't have the exact quote but "wants to play at X and play for a championship" were mentioned. For the list of teams, both of those wants might be mutually exclusive. UVA and UNC are kinda set at X, no? The Terps need to replace Bernhardt and DeMaio. Donville is about as good as you can get with DeMaio, but the Terps do have Eric Malever waiting to play in Bernhardt's position..and Malever played attack in the 4th quarter of the title game when UVA shorted Maltz in the crease. So I'm not sure Tillman could promise a specific position to Khan.

Michigan has/d a good connection with Khan. Conry recruited him while at Maryland. Hop wouldn't make a lot of sense, either, because of DeSimone and Epstein already having very similar skill sets. If Duke's been eliminated, that'd be a surprising twist to me. They're definitely in the shop for someone like Khan. But I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Although Hopkins may be out of the running, I think the Blue Jays could still have made lacrosse sense to Khan. With Epstein and DeSimone around, teams would have had match up problems. They could share duties at X, and with similar skills, it is highly unlikely any of them would consistently get the top defenseman on them. Khan reportedly has a diverse skill set. Could have been very productive with the Jays. Plus, Hopkins is likely to be a top-ten quality team next year.

@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:15 pm Hopkins social media accounts begging the PLL to give Cole Williams a shot is somewhat unbecoming. It’s pro lacrosse. If he’s good enough or a desired commodity they will pick up the phone.
I dunno, a lot of the time with getting put onto one of these rosters, it's about who you know, not necessarily how good you are. Last year Jim Stagnitta did his son's buddy a solid and drafted Matt Hubler, for instance. In no meritocracy would he be playing pro and Williams not. Examples of that kind of thing all over. It's a glorified beer league—albeit one much more polished than what the MLL was. I would not put it past these coaches to not do a whole lot of actual research into the player pool to see who would actually be good fits for their team vs. just going off recommendations. "Hey Coach Towers we played against this kid last year and he had 3 goals maybe you should pick him up." "Okay, done." Hell, Towers has wasted more than one draft pick on players who had no intention of even coming out to play pro that year.
Wheels wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:47 pm

If Duke does not land either Lulley or Khan I'll be pretty surprised. But maybe Dino learned his lesson. They've got to build that offense around O'Neill and put Dyson back on attack. Doesn't leave much room for a big-time attack transfer with Robertson also in the fold and a ton of recruits coming.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:12 pm
flalax22 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:15 pm Hopkins social media accounts begging the PLL to give Cole Williams a shot is somewhat unbecoming. It’s pro lacrosse. If he’s good enough or a desired commodity they will pick up the phone.
I dunno, a lot of the time with getting put onto one of these rosters, it's about who you know, not necessarily how good you are. Last year Jim Stagnitta did his son's buddy a solid and drafted Matt Hubler, for instance. In no meritocracy would he be playing pro and Williams not. Examples of that kind of thing all over. It's a glorified beer league—albeit one much more polished than what the MLL was. I would not put it past these coaches to not do a whole lot of actual research into the player pool to see who would actually be good fits for their team vs. just going off recommendations. "Hey Coach Towers we played against this kid last year and he had 3 goals maybe you should pick him up." "Okay, done." Hell, Towers has wasted more than one draft pick on players who had no intention of even coming out to play pro that year.
I’d be more inclined to agree if he had played at Binghamton or Dartmouth but he played in the Big10 for five years. Those coaches know exactly who he is and what he can do. Also those favors and phone calls usually go on in private not on social media. Not if he gets signed did he make it on merit or because the Hop coaches exerted some influence.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:13 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm How many times will we hear about the Robby Haus story do you think?
I hope enough to get us to 89 pages.
:lol:👍
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:58 pm
Although Hopkins may be out of the running, I think the Blue Jays could still have made lacrosse sense to Khan. With Epstein and DeSimone around, teams would have had match up problems. They could share duties at X, and with similar skills, it is highly unlikely any of them would consistently get the top defenseman on them. Khan reportedly has a diverse skill set. Could have been very productive with the Jays. Plus, Hopkins is likely to be a top-ten quality team next year.

IMO, you can never have too many guys who can draw slides. Khan is pretty good at doing that.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I caught a solid chunk of the NJ private A state title tonight between Don Bosco and Delbarton to get another look at Koleton Marquis. He had the tying and go-ahead goals in the 3rd to propel Bosco to an undefeated state championship.

What a fun and interesting player.

He played all over the formation—on the crease, the wing, up top, and behind the cage. Constantly moving and working to get free. He did most of his work without the ball but to call him a mere off-ball attackman is a disservice to the creativity in his game. Not only did he show a willingness and ability dodge from X (he tried the patented Lyle Thompson backhanded shovel wrapping around GLE, but the goalie made a great save on it) but he's also the offense's trigger man on EMO, playing behind the goal, where he's got excellent vision to find cutters and skip lanes. Not many crease monkeys are the catalysts of your man-up unit. He is also very comfortable—at home, even—with a defensemen living on his back. A four-star pole committed to Loyola was covering him most of the day but he still had a big impact.

I can see why Milliman and Junior went after him hard and why Rabil is all over social media supporting this kid. I don't know how good they'll be in college but between Marquis, Collison, and Iler, the '22 class might be the most purely fun one we've had in ages.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am So with just about nothing going in the span of about 48 hours, we have put almost 3 pages onto the page count. Navy here we come. I'd guess by September we will be approaching their numbers. Of course, they cheat to get to their numbers.
there are a couple of big things right now
-If Cuse and terps confirm benson/petro and if that facilitates anymore of our current or portal guys leaving there.
-if the srs decide to stay or not and if they don't if PM decides to reallocate those scholarship $ in upperclassmen transfers like kirson, underclassmen like szulak or punts the $ to future classes. 51 has made a strong case for the 3rd option.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Apparently Glassmeyer had a season-ending injury in the preseason, so that explains that. (Hawley and Handsor did as well, though I don't know if they would have factored into plans if healthy.) DiPietro was also hurt in the season opener.

That means Jake Lilly was the only SSDM this year with any experience at the position. And it was only six games, at that.

The staff did a pretty incredible job piecing together a serviceable unit by moving Mabbett, Shure, Zinn, and Jaronski to shortie, and developing Martin relatively quickly. And then, of course, Mabbett got hurt as well. With better injury lucky and a more experienced group, the position should be a bit better in 2022.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Who wants to wager PM schedules a lot of cupcakes next year to boost the win total? I'd argue he won't schedule 3/5 of these UVA, Navy, Loyola, UNC, Cuse
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 am
there are a couple of big things right now
-If Cuse and terps confirm benson/petro and if that facilitates anymore of our current or portal guys leaving there.
-if the srs decide to stay or not and if they don't if PM decides to reallocate those scholarship $ in upperclassmen transfers like kirson, underclassmen like szulak or punts the $ to future classes. 51 has made a strong case for the 3rd option.
I would be SHOCKED if anyone left JHU to go to Syracuse to follow Petro, if he gets the DC job there.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”