COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ggait

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by ggait »

Neither should Hopkins. And yet, both charge what the market will bear......
But there's going to be a lot fewer actual full payors at Syracuse. Many more full pay families at JHU. Which is what you'd expect to see, despite both having the same nominal full private sticker price.

The model for a full fancy private school like JHU is high sticker price, zero merit aid, ample need based aid, and a barbell of student families -- some pay very little (due to need aid) and many (I'd guess 40-45%) pay full sticker price (no merit aid; no need aid). The model for a not-as-fancy private like SU is high sticker price, decent amount of merit aid (aka tuition discounts), OK but not awesome need based aid. Fewer families paying full sticker; less barbell. The numbers back that up.

The median family income at JHU (per the NY Times database) is $177k. Which means that anyone near or above the median is full pay. Making $200k a year and paying 4 x $75k for one kid to go to Hopkins is really painful.

Median family income at Syracuse is $114k. Nobody at that median is full paying $75k for Syracuse. Probably 75-80% of kids at SU are getting need or merit aid. Which is why 72% of kids at JHU come from the top 20% of incomes versus 51% at SU.

The differential pricing model for college is pretty much the same used for an airline seat. Everyone (at least in coach) gets the same product -- you all leave LaGuardia at the same time and arrive at O'Hare at the same time. But everyone pays a different price.

Even though JHU has a lot more families paying full freight, the average price for all JHU families ($31k) is lower than at SU ($34k).
Last edited by ggait on Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:05 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:03 pm
ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:08 pm
The Petro kids would get a break though with the presumed
hire of Petro Sr, on overall tuition costs, so there would
presumably be a benefit for bringing the kids on over,

over and above the kids counting against the
lacrosse scholarship counts.
UNC OOS + UNC athletic schollie is likely the better deal.

OOS COA at UNC is about $49k. Syracuse is $72k.

Grossed up for taxes, these days it works out to about $300k per kid.
syracuse should not cost $300k.
Hopkins is a top 10 education and you're right still overpriced. What does $300k at syracuse get you?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:18 pm
But there's going to be a lot fewer actual full payors at Syracuse. Many more full pay families at JHU. Which is what you'd expect to see, despite both having the same nominal full private sticker price.

The model for a full fancy private school like JHU is high sticker price, zero merit aid, ample need based aid, and a barbell of student families -- some pay very little (due to need aid) and many (I'd guess 40-45%) pay full sticker price (no merit aid; no need aid). The model for a not-as-fancy private like SU is high sticker price, decent amount of merit aid (aka tuition discounts), OK but not awesome need based aid. Fewer families paying full sticker; less barbell. The numbers back that up.

The median family income at JHU (per the NY Times database) is $177k. Which means that anyone near or above the median is full pay. Making $200k a year and paying 4 x $75k for one kid to go to Hopkins is really painful.

Median family income at Syracuse is $114k. Nobody at that median is full paying $75k for Syracuse. Probably 75-80% of kids at SU are getting need or merit aid. Which is why 72% of kids at JHU come from the top 20% of incomes versus 51% at SU.

The differential pricing model for college is pretty much the same used for an airline seat. Everyone (at least in coach) gets the same product -- you all leave LaGuardia at the same time and arrive at O'Hare at the same time. But everyone pays a different price.

Even though JHU has a lot more families paying full freight, the average price for all JHU families ($31k) is lower than at SU ($34k).
you're either not using the hopkins thingy or being purposefully deceptive. complete b.s.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:23 pm

you're either not using the hopkins thingy or being purposefully deceptive. complete b.s.
A lot of it is here: https://www.nasfaa.org/uploads/document ... g_2019.pdf
“I wish you would!”
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

With the potential of Petro to Cuse as D Coordinator it will be interesting to see where Lelan Rodgers ends up. Hes got a heck of a resume as a HC at the D3 level and as a top flight coordinator at a Power school.

Pat March is another interesting name as he has been a name on the rise at the D1 level.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:50 pm With the potential of Petro to Cuse as D Coordinator it will be interesting to see where Lelan Rodgers ends up. Hes got a heck of a resume as a HC at the D3 level and as a top flight coordinator at a Power school.

Pat March is another interesting name as he has been a name on the rise at the D1 level.
Probably Breitbart
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:50 pm With the potential of Petro to Cuse as D Coordinator it will be interesting to see where Lelan Rodgers ends up. Hes got a heck of a resume as a HC at the D3 level and as a top flight coordinator at a Power school.

I thought I saw March was staying on staff at Cuse?
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:09 pm

He is, March will remain the OC.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:19 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:09 pm

He is, March will remain the OC.
That would be smart
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which part(s) are you questioning?

ggait, I suspect that the percentage of families getting aid at Hopkins will rise further as the Bloomberg dough gets really going. It enables more students with terrific promise to take advantage of the opportunity than in the past.

More akin to Ivy.

Frankly, that's the league that would better fit a Hopkins than Big 10, IMO, but doesn't appear to be in the cards.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 pm

ggait, I suspect that the percentage of families getting aid at Hopkins will rise further as the Bloomberg dough gets really going. It enables more students with terrific promise to take advantage of the opportunity than in the past.

More akin to Ivy.

Frankly, that's the league that would better fit a Hopkins than Big 10, IMO, but doesn't appear to be in the cards.
And JHU does have some merit aid. The one from my days is still going: https://apply.jhu.edu/hodson-scholars/ though in my days the amount was a much smaller percentage of the tuition, but IIRC, it seemed as if a greater percentage of students received one.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ok, this sounds like me, but i did not post this. nor was i on fanlax. i was at a funeral. w.t.f.????
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

First the gas pipeline, then the meat processing plants, now fanlax. Is nothing sacred? Maybe someone has kompromat on Matnum
ggait

Post by ggait »

Here's the data from US Dept of Ed, based on the data they require the schools to report.

The average net price for JHU is $31k; Syracuse is $34k. But the families at JHU overall are significantly wealthier than the SU families.

So what that means is that JHU has more families paying the full $75k and also more families paying $0-15k. That's what you get with mostly need aid and little merit aid. Typical model for a private in the top 15.

Syracuse has more families paying something in the middle -- $30-60k. And fewer paying full sticker. That's what you get with a model of more merit aid and less expansive need aid. Typical model for a private ranked 50-60 or so.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/search/ ... stitutions

Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

And JHU does have some merit aid. The one from my days is still going: https://apply.jhu.edu/hodson-scholars/ though in my days the amount was a much smaller percentage of the tuition, but IIRC, it seemed as if a greater percentage of students received one.
Sure. You'll find a very small number of highly highly competitive merit scholarships at some high end privates -- Ingram Scholars at Vandy; A.B. Duke at Duke; Hesburgh Scholars at ND; Hodson Scholars at JHU. Maybe 1% of applicants get those.

But for privates like Syracuse or Denver, you might see 30-45% of enrolled students getting merit money. So a very different model for merit aid.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Gary I salute you for your openness and willingness to engage people. Reminds me of John McCain New Hampshire 2000 where he just opened up and took on all questions and voters. It's too bad too many in sports operate like they are some sort of government intelligence agency afraid that any comment would reveal anything.
-In yet another breakdown of the sports nerds at cuse I see nothing on other coaches that have switched from a womens hc to a mens hc.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:17 pm
Here's the data from US Dept of Ed, based on the data they require the schools to report.

The average net price for JHU is $31k; Syracuse is $34k. But the families at JHU overall are significantly wealthier than the SU families.

So what that means is that JHU has more families paying the full $75k and also more families paying $0-15k. That's what you get with mostly need aid and little merit aid. Typical model for a private in the top 15.

Syracuse has more families paying something in the middle -- $30-60k. And fewer paying full sticker. That's what you get with a model of more merit aid and less expansive need aid. Typical model for a private ranked 50-60 or so.

Pretty much pricing collusion but since it’s “higher ed”...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 pm

More akin to Ivy.

The Bloomberg money has completely changed financial aid at Hopkins. Our household income is over 200k and our child starting there this fall received 55K in aid. They are pretty much on par with the Ivies in terms of aid now.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/sta ... 34754?s=20

First question is “Why now?”

"I almost still don’t know the answer,” Desko says.

Sheesh, Desko deserved way better then this, we all know this but man this is tough...
Goes on that he hasn't ruled out coaching again, doesn't sound like a retired man but where would he go from Cuse, Prep School, PLL?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”