COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by DocBarrister »

laxrat1976 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:43 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:40 pm
laxrat1976 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm
laxrat1976 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:26 am A Gait on the sideline for 'Cuse would be interesting. Would be even more interesting if it wasn't Paul...
Calling it back on May 27th
Please ... folks have been speculating for decades about Gait coaching Syracuse.

I’ve done so in years past, and did so again just this last May 17.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=600

It’s just hard to believe it’s actually happening this time around.

DocBarrister :? :o
Well everyone was thinking Paul this time not Gary.

It's not that hard this time around, if you look at it from multiple view points.

1. He's wanted the job
2. Syracuse has been in a financial crunch big time and his salary was way out of line with most other womens coaches. This move will save the athletic department money
3. It's low risk for the AD. Bringing in one of the many young people who are big names but have no head coaching experience is a big risk to take.
I think that was a joke to which I contributed. I made the joke about Paul Gait after the vacating of the 1990 title was discussed. It’s been my long understanding that Paul Gait is deeply invested in the business side of the sport and has shown little interest in coaching.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:35 am It’s official.

https://cuse.com/news/2021/6/7/mens-lac ... ement.aspx

Class guy.
I like this piece best,
those teams were so different from all others,
Desko was right there transforming lacrosse with
Simmons Jr.

“ He began his coaching career as an assistant to
Roy Simmons Jr. immediately following his playing
career. He then spent 19 seasons as an assistant
to Simmons Jr., helping build the Orange into a
perennial power “
Coach Desko is one of the best of all time. Best wishes to him.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

No head coaching experience? Please
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:44 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:29 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am

Class guy.
syracuse is supposed to be world renown for communications and public service and the scanlan issue (in multiple instances), desko retirement and presumptive gait hiring have all been haphazard. It's also another L for the professional lacrosse media which despite an abundance of sources and connections and alumni of that program was beaten on all 3 stories by fan lax commenters. Now come questions of roster turnover, changes in recruiting commitments, and potential transfers.
Agree on the first point re: communication but on the second, is anyone of note really going to transfer or decommit out of Syracuse because they ousted Desko? With all due respect to the guy I can't imagine there's going to be an exodus of talent.
Didn't Hopkins lose a decent amount of recruits in the 2021 class after Petro left? That was after a year that looked to be going in an even more embarrassing direction than Cuse this past year. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) didn't Cole Williams announce he was in the transfer portal the day the news broke and had to be convinced to come back by the new staff? Obviously loads of factors at play as to why someone would decommit or transfer but it would not be totally out of left field for some guys make changes after the head coach who recruited them leaves. It's a reasonable concern.
Yes, that all happened, but I don't think it's going to happen with Desko. But I guess we'll find out soon.
Hmmm I guess I'm just curious about the reasoning and why you would say something like "with all due respect" when predicting a lack of decommits etc. I think if we see little to no decommits that could also be attributed to the timing, hype, and strength of the new hire, along with things like keeping Pat March on board, rather than everyone hating Desko and both expecting and being glad that he is gone, which you seem to be implying. Cuse has a lot of high end talent in the 22 class that were recruited by and committed to Desko with the expectation that he coaches them for their full 4 years.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:07 pm No head coaching experience? Please
What saddens me is that he likely won't be posting here any longer. He brought a great deal of internal nuggets that only a coach working within the NCAA rules, policies and procedures would know.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Antonio114 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:44 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:29 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am

Class guy.
syracuse is supposed to be world renown for communications and public service and the scanlan issue (in multiple instances), desko retirement and presumptive gait hiring have all been haphazard. It's also another L for the professional lacrosse media which despite an abundance of sources and connections and alumni of that program was beaten on all 3 stories by fan lax commenters. Now come questions of roster turnover, changes in recruiting commitments, and potential transfers.
Agree on the first point re: communication but on the second, is anyone of note really going to transfer or decommit out of Syracuse because they ousted Desko? With all due respect to the guy I can't imagine there's going to be an exodus of talent.
Didn't Hopkins lose a decent amount of recruits in the 2021 class after Petro left? That was after a year that looked to be going in an even more embarrassing direction than Cuse this past year. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) didn't Cole Williams announce he was in the transfer portal the day the news broke and had to be convinced to come back by the new staff? Obviously loads of factors at play as to why someone would decommit or transfer but it would not be totally out of left field for some guys make changes after the head coach who recruited them leaves. It's a reasonable concern.
Yes, that all happened, but I don't think it's going to happen with Desko. But I guess we'll find out soon.
Hmmm I guess I'm just curious about the reasoning and why you would say something like "with all due respect" when predicting a lack of decommits etc. I think if we see little to no decommits that could also be attributed to the timing, hype, and strength of the new hire, along with things like keeping Pat March on board, rather than everyone hating Desko and both expecting and being glad that he is gone, which you seem to be implying. Cuse has a lot of high end talent in the 22 class that were recruited by and committed to Desko with the expectation that he coaches them for their full 4 years.
Part of it is what you mentioned: the timing, plus the hype surrounding Gait. The other part is, and I bet many Cuse fans and former players would agree with this, is that Desko was not exactly known for being super close with many of his players. Not a good or bad thing, that was just his style. Petro on the other hand was like a second father to a lot of guys which is why some may have been personally hurt/affected by his departure. Also, for the record, some of those Hop decommits may not have been of their choosing—the new staff may have asked or even gently told them to reconsider their commitments after the regime change.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

There is a difference between a coach not being overly involved in the players lives and the players not respecting or liking their coach. I think the outpouring of support from current players for Desko during the scanlan fiasco says a lot. It certainly was not a response that the players were forced to make. Granted we certainly have our problems with guys bailing as freshman, and a part of that could be attributed to the relatively distant nature of the head coach, but for everyone of those guys we have several who buy in completely, even if it means riding the bench and waiting your turn. I think he gets a good deal more heat from the hardcore fans than the folks actually involved with the program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Transferring is a huge, huge life decision. Who the coach is really has to MATTER to you on a deep, personal level, to transfer schools solely because of that. Petro was close to a lot of his guys and no one really of note transferred after he left. Williams was the closest as you mentioned but he decided to come back after being impressed by the new staff. If that was the case at Hop, I can't imagine guys are just going to bail on Cuse now because Desko is leaving and Gait is coming in. It's not meant to be a slight of Desko. Not every coach needs to be your best friend. It's just what I think the reality is. But, again, we will find out very soon, because if guys are going to transfer/decommit, it has to happen pretty quickly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:50 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:07 pm No head coaching experience? Please
What saddens me is that he likely won't be posting here any longer. He brought a great deal of internal nuggets that only a coach working within the NCAA rules, policies and procedures would know.
:lol:
Somehow I think our ggait will still be with us. ;)
ggait

Post by ggait »

The Petro kids would get a break though with the presumed
hire of Petro Sr, on overall tuition costs, so there would
presumably be a benefit for bringing the kids on over,

over and above the kids counting against the
lacrosse scholarship counts.
UNC OOS + UNC athletic schollie is likely the better deal.

OOS COA at UNC is about $49k. Syracuse is $72k.

Can't get the SU employee child tuition break until you have worked there 3 years. Unless SU waives it for other new hires, they couldn't waive it for Petro without NCAA implications. And once you get it, it counts against your 12.6 in year 4 and 5.

To make the coach kid free tuition thing work, you have to have it set up years in advance. Would have worked for Petro's kids if he had stayed at JHU; not gonna work so much at SU.

It is a HECK of a deal if you can make it work -- independent of whether your kids play lax or not. A full/almost full tuition schollie at ND, Duke, Gtown, Ivy, etc. is a lot of dough. Especially because IIRC that dough is received tax free.

Grossed up for taxes, these days it works out to about $300k per kid.

P.S. Since SU is not a tippy top tier fancy private, they might have some meaningful merit aid (which can be stacked onto athletic schollies without hitting the 12.6) which is available to kids who are smart but not geniuses. So SU merit money might impact the money analysis.
Last edited by ggait on Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Young Spallina gets to wear #22?
Last edited by wahoomurf on Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:09 pm If Spallina does to SU, I wonder if his son will be chuffed to miss his Senior season at Mt. Sinai? The kid is a stud and will no doubt be successful at any H.S. in the Syracuse metro area.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:10 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:09 pm If Spallina does to SU, I wonder if his son will be chuffed to miss his Senior season at Mt. Sinai? The kid is a stud and will no doubt be successful at any H.S. in the Syracuse metro area.
If and when Spallina takes the job, Joey could stay down and finish HS in the area. I doubt he would come up to Syracuse for his Sr season.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:08 pm ...
To make the coach kid free tuition thing work, you have to have it set up years in advance. Would have worked for Petro's kids if he had stayed at JHU; not gonna work so much at SU.

It is a HECK of a deal if you can make it work -- independent of whether your kids play lax or not. A full/almost full tuition schollie at ND, Duke, Gtown, Ivy, etc. is a lot of dough. Especially because IIRC that dough is received tax free.

Yes, tax-free. Less common today, it used to be a pretty standard private-college perk; back before skyrocketing tuition inflation, some private colleges used to pay the faculty brats' tuition (up to that college's tuition) even at other universities.
ggait

Post by ggait »

I'm going to be WAY too busy to keep posting.

In case you didn't notice, I just got hired for a big new job for which I have zero relevant experience. Gonna have to learn a lot in a hurry.

;)
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:16 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:10 pm
If and when Spallina takes the job, Joey could stay down and finish HS in the area. I doubt he would come up to Syracuse for his Sr season.
Maybe Christian Brothers Academy? Is it possible that he could graduate early and then take a grey shirt? It’s been done before.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:26 pm
I'm going to be WAY too busy to keep posting.

In case you didn't notice, I just got hired for a big new job for which I have zero relevant experience. Gonna have to learn a lot in a hurry.

;)
Don’t worry. I hear Target has a good job training program. You won’t be stuck stocking shelves for too long!

Good luck!

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:08 pm

syracuse should not cost $300k.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:03 pm
ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:08 pm

syracuse should not cost $300k.
Neither should Hopkins. And yet, both charge what the market will bear......
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Caitlin Defliese has been named the interim head coach of @CuseWLAX

https://cuse.com/sports/womens-lacrosse ... liese/4993

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”