Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:57 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:41 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:19 am
Seahawk wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:16 am Once Fairman and A DeMaio make their decision to stay or go, I think the underclass guys will make decisions on whether they are blocked for another year. I’m sure Brennan is looking to return healthy and ready for a larger role. Adding to that would be incoming transfers if they would be perceived to block an underclass guy for another year. Maryland has tons of talent on offense and less so on defense and FO. That’s where I would focus any incoming guys.
Tills talked a lot this year about how he's transformed his thinking on offense where nothing is scripted at all. It makes the Terps too difficult to scout (something Fiefs and Danowski specifically mentioned in their post-game pressers). If you have Bubba, Logan, Kyle, Maltz, and Malever back (and Malever got runs at attack in the title game), you need one more guy in that top 6. If it's Donville at the MF, that's not exactly a bad top 6. Brennan and Jake Smith come back from injury, and you add Koras on a second MF line, and again, you have a pretty damn good 2nd line.

If Rahill comes back with all 4 shorties, you're looking a pretty phenomenal group on defense already. Ajax got a lot of time at LSM, and maybe be can down to close. I don't think Geppert does because he showed legit All-American play at LSM. Sherrer was also really good at LSM. Redd got some run in the Duke game, too. Shirtzer could come in and play right away at close, too. He has a rep as a takeaway defender. The Terps had their most caused TOs in a season since 2012.
Yeah with the 4 shorties back, Makar as a 1st Teamer, Rahill back as a multi-year starter, depth at LSM with Geppert and Sherrer, plus former blue chips in Zappitello and Burlace who showed flashes and a 5-star in Schirtzer and a near one in Younger Burlace ready to come in, there’s a lot of talent and depth on the defensive side imo. Don’t think there’s less talent there than on offense at all.

Faceoffs are the question. I do think they need to find an adjustment there. If something materializes in the portal I would 1000% jump on it. If not, maybe a coaching move of some kind of hopefully this Keethler kid coming in is a diamond in the rough. It’s just unacceptable to be 48% on faceoffs tbh. There’s so many good ones out there and we’ve been deficient there amongst high level competition dating back to 2017.
thought they acquitted themselves very well in the tourney. though they did survive nd.
still, under 50% at maryland can be improved.
Notre Dame just gave them so many problems throwing Gallagher AND Leonard at them. When they had 1 elite guy to deal with they did okay; like we saw against UVM, Duke, and battling against Lasalla because they could change it up with Shockey or Wierman

But basically every team late in the tournament had an elite FOGO. Maryland was the outlier. Certainly they showed you don’t NEED one to be a F4, NC team but when other top teams are routinely able to churn out top FOGOs there’s no reason Maryland should be going on 5 years of 45-50% at best against conference or NCAA Tournament competition
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So for FO the key guys this year were Shockey and Wierman with little use of Calderone and Trucksess.

So Trucksess was a Sr that was listed as graduated. Does he come back?
Calderone could he be a potential portal guy?

If both happen then that leaves you with three guys on the roster if Shockey comes back. He was not on the list for graduation so possibility is high.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:04 pm
Seahawk wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:16 am Once Fairman and A DeMaio make their decision to stay or go, I think the underclass guys will make decisions on whether they are blocked for another year. I’m sure Brennan is looking to return healthy and ready for a larger role. Adding to that would be incoming transfers if they would be perceived to block an underclass guy for another year. Maryland has tons of talent on offense and less so on defense and FO. That’s where I would focus any incoming guys.
Tills talked a lot this year about how he's transformed his thinking on offense where nothing is scripted at all. It makes the Terps too difficult to scout (something Fiefs and Danowski specifically mentioned in their post-game pressers). If you have Bubba, Logan, Kyle, Maltz, and Malever back (and Malever got runs at attack in the title game), you need one more guy in that top 6. If it's Donville at the MF, that's not exactly a bad top 6. Brennan and Jake Smith come back from injury, and you add Koras on a second MF line, and again, you have a pretty damn good 2nd line.

If Rahill comes back with all 4 shorties, you're looking a pretty phenomenal group on defense already. Ajax got a lot of time at LSM, and maybe be can down to close. I don't think Geppert does because he showed legit All-American play at LSM. Sherrer was also really good at LSM. Redd got some run in the Duke game, too. Shirtzer could come in and play right away at close, too. He has a rep as a takeaway defender. The Terps had their most caused TOs in a season since 2012.
Yeah with the 4 shorties back, Makar as a 1st Teamer, Rahill back as a multi-year starter, depth at LSM with Geppert and Sherrer, plus former blue chips in Zappitello and Burlace who showed flashes and a 5-star in Schirtzer and a near one in Younger Burlace ready to come in, there’s a lot of talent and depth on the defensive side imo. Don’t think there’s less talent there than on offense at all.

Faceoffs are the question. I do think they need to find an adjustment there. If something materializes in the portal I would 1000% jump on it. If not, maybe a coaching move of some kind of hopefully this Keethler kid coming in is a diamond in the rough. It’s just unacceptable to be 48% on faceoffs tbh. There’s so many good ones out there and we’ve been deficient there amongst high level competition dating back to 2017.
thought they acquitted themselves very well in the tourney. though they did survive nd.
Notre Dame just gave them so many problems throwing Gallagher AND Leonard at them. When they had 1 elite guy to deal with they did okay; like we saw against UVM, Duke, and battling against Lasalla because they could change it up with Shockey or Wierman

But basically every team late in the tournament had an elite FOGO. Maryland was the outlier. Certainly they showed you don’t NEED one to be a F4, NC team but when other top teams are routinely able to churn out top FOGOs there’s no reason Maryland should be going on 5 years of 45-50% at best against conference or NCAA Tournament competition
ok, but they handled duke and arguably got the better of faceoffs in the final with their group. scrapping.

projecting fogos and goalies is as about as difficult as it gets. really, you have to get lucky. or have tri-semesters.

the portal was built for fogos.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:09 pm

ok, but they handled duke and arguably got the better of faceoffs in the final with their group. scrapping.

projecting fogos and goalies is as about as difficult as it gets. really, you have to get lucky. or have tri-semesters.

They were 17-38 I think in the final? And Virginia got 2-3 goals off of their wins. Wierman did an incredible job to give Maryland a shot and I’m not saying it’s the reason they lost but it’s been over half a decade since Maryland has had a Lasalla type. Or a Naso. Or a Gallagher. Or any of the other top FOGOs in recent memory.

I’m not saying it’s easy. Merely that Maryland’s best faceoff season against Big Ten/NCAAT competition since 2017 was 2018 when they went.....50%. In 2019/2021 they were 45 and 48% respectively. And therefore it’s an area for improvement.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:09 pm

They were 17-38 I think in the final? And Virginia got 2-3 goals off of their wins. Wierman did an incredible job to give Maryland a shot and I’m not saying it’s the reason they lost but it’s been over half a decade since Maryland has had a Lasalla type. Or a Naso. Or a Gallagher. Or any of the other top FOGOs in recent memory.

I’m not saying it’s easy. Merely that Maryland’s best faceoff season against Big Ten/NCAAT competition since 2017 was 2018 when they went.....50%. In 2019/2021 they were 45 and 48% respectively. And therefore it’s an area for improvement.
they got 5 back on uva's fogo group. uva's 1st quarter and 2 goals kept them in it (they didn't get a 3rd). but maryland's better possessions later brought them back.
uva got one back on faceoff crew, but that (iirc) was wierman going to the cage.

so the advantage flips on possessions to umd. md got a goal geppert to bernhardt and manup an unsettled from maltz late (uva missing a pass from.lasalla). but goals coming out of the face group directly were 2 to 2. and actual offensive possessions favored maryland for their turnovers/scrappiness (3 times immediately as a ball was in a uva stick - win, but umd possession).

anyway, for a season, i agree with you. and it could've been a knockout vs notre dame. they would've beaten duke (and vermont) even if they didn't handle them there.

some fogos are hitting the portal already.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

The point is, if MD had a dominant face-off guy over the last 11 years, they probably would have a couple more national titles. Guys like Ierlan, Sisselberger, Woodall would have likely made the difference in 2016 and 2021, certainly would have clinched the qf win in 2019, and maybe would have been the difference in 2011. Shockey and Wierman (and their predecessors) are warriors, and Wierman's effort on Monday was nearly legendary, but MD always seems to end up on the short end of projecting fogo recruits. Woodall wanted to be a Terp. For such a great, detail-minded coach as Tillman, fogo recruiting has been a relative weak spot.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:56 pm The point is, if MD had a dominant face-off guy over the last 11 years, they probably would have a couple more national titles. Guys like Ierlan, Sisselberger, Woodall would have likely made the difference in 2016 and 2021, certainly would have clinched the qf win in 2019, and maybe would have been the difference in 2011. Shockey and Wierman (and their predecessors) are warriors, and Wierman's effort on Monday was nearly legendary, but MD always seems to end up on the short end of projecting fogo recruits. Woodall wanted to be a Terp. For such a great, detail-minded coach as Tillman, fogo recruiting has been a relative weak spot.
sure, but sisselberger chose lehigh over all the blue bloods? when would they get ierlan? woodall maybe, but he started at high point and landed at towson, probably not after a bidding war. was hennigsen coming off promising early days?

projecting fogos is tough. williams from cuse didn't annihilate competition at holy cross even.

and at the other specialty tough to project, maryland has had an embarassment of riches in the goalmouth forever.

i guess if you have all the best guys at every single position and they play well together, your chances go up.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:41 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:56 pm The point is, if MD had a dominant face-off guy over the last 11 years, they probably would have a couple more national titles. Guys like Ierlan, Sisselberger, Woodall would have likely made the difference in 2016 and 2021, certainly would have clinched the qf win in 2019, and maybe would have been the difference in 2011. Shockey and Wierman (and their predecessors) are warriors, and Wierman's effort on Monday was nearly legendary, but MD always seems to end up on the short end of projecting fogo recruits. Woodall wanted to be a Terp. For such a great, detail-minded coach as Tillman, fogo recruiting has been a relative weak spot.
sure, but sisselberger chose lehigh over all the blue bloods? when would they get ierlan? woodall maybe, but he started at high point and landed at towson, probably not after a bidding war. was hennigsen coming off promising early days?

projecting fogos is tough. williams from cuse didn't annihilate competition at holy cross even.

and at the other specialty tough to project, maryland has had an embarassment of riches in the goalmouth forever.

i guess if you have all the best guys at every single position and they play well together, your chances go up.
Relax dude, just a hypothetical, I know they didn't choose MD. They have never had one of those guys, and every year in the tournament they run into teams that have them. Maybe they beat UVA with a 5 possession advantage instead of a 5 poss. deficit. That would be a huge swing in their favor. Maybe not, I mean UVA was great too, but it sure makes it easier.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Relax dude, just a hypothetical, I know they didn't choose MD. They have never had one of those guys, and every year in the tournament they run into teams that have them. Maybe they beat UVA with a 5 possession advantage instead of a 5 poss. deficit. That would be a huge swing in their favor. Maybe not, I mean UVA was great too, but it sure makes it easier.
i wasn't trying to be a wiseass. last sentence maybe didn't come out right. lasalla was a semi-dominant guy, at least most of the year.
but maryland wasn't at a 5 deficit in the finals. they got 5 back after a ball was "in someone's stick". like, immediately. maybe 4 if one was well after possession established. the ball was in the umd offensive zone plus times off the faceoff.

winning faces definitely makes it easier. but in champ games, you'd have to go back to like 2013 duke vs cuse where it made a difference.

md went straight up with baptiste in 2015. and md housed unc and loyola on faceoffs in '16 and '12. and yale did vs virginia in '19.
Last edited by wgdsr on Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They did have Raffa. Who was pretty close to elite. Curtis Holmes in Tills early years was great too

And Henningsen was an elite recruit, played for Team USA at youth levels. He had an awesome freshman year in 2016; faceoff was still a strength that year

Then 2017 he really fell off. Never was as good rest of his career. Mattes left after 2017 for that NFL job. Shockey came in ‘18 and has always been good but often been below 50% vs top competition. And it’s been a constant inconsistent spot since then
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:34 pm

i wasn't trying to be a wiseass. last sentence maybe didn't come out right. lasalla was a semi-dominant guy, at least most of the year.
but maryland wasn't at a 5 deficit in the finals. they got 5 back after a ball was "in someone's stick". like, immediately. maybe 4 if one was well after possession established. the ball was in the umd offensive zone plus times off the faceoff.

winning faces definitely makes it easier. but in champ games, you'd have to go back to like 2013 duke vs cuse where it made a difference.

md went straight up with baptiste in 2015. and md housed unc and loyola on faceoffs in '16 and '12. and yale did vs virginia in '19.
You're right on UNC. Loyola would not have made a difference; that was not a great MD team and it was a great Loyola team. There is no doubt that MD would have beaten VA in 2019 with a better fogo performance. On a separate but related note, UVA also got to play Yale instead of a much more talented Penn State because of complete fogo domination in the semis. We almost lost to ND this year because of face-offs, and should have lost to Towson in 2019. It's just something that's always a battle just to stay even and is usually a unit that brings less talented teams closer to MD's level rather than widening the Terps' advantage.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Congrats to JB1 on the Tewaaraton. Best season I’ve ever personally seen from a Terp and he certainly etched himself into Maryland history as one of the best to ever put on the jersey.

Will miss seeing him out there for sure. It was an honor to watch him this year
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:36 pm They did have Raffa. Who was pretty close to elite. Curtis Holmes in Tills early years was great too

And Henningsen was an elite recruit, played for Team USA at youth levels. He had an awesome freshman year in 2016; faceoff was still a strength that year

Then 2017 he really fell off. Never was as good rest of his career. Mattes left after 2017 for that NFL job. Shockey came in ‘18 and has always been good but often been below 50% vs top competition. And it’s been a constant inconsistent spot since then
I do struggle to understand how Maryland does at faceoffs. Perpetually they get top recruits at faceoff and it doesn't seem to matter. Henningsen and Shockey both were top ranked FOGOs...both top 20 players in their respective classes. Gurenlian even noted that no one could beat Shockey in high school or in the club scene - he was the monster. Calderone can't get on the field and was the top ranked fogo in his class.

But it doesn't matter. FOGO talent comes here, and underperforms. It's bizarre.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

PulpExposure wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:39 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:36 pm They did have Raffa. Who was pretty close to elite. Curtis Holmes in Tills early years was great too

I do struggle to understand how Maryland does at faceoffs. Perpetually they get top recruits at faceoff and it doesn't seem to matter. Henningsen and Shockey both were top ranked FOGOs...both top 20 players in their respective classes. Gurenlian even noted that no one could beat Shockey in high school or in the club scene - he was the monster. Calderone can't get on the field and was the top ranked fogo in his class.

Do think it’s fair to point out with Shockey he seemed to struggle with the new rules. He probably still didn’t live up to the expectations his first couple of years but he never struggled the way he did this year. Some elite guys didn’t adapt as well to the new rules.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

PulpExposure wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:39 pm

Interestingly enough, when they had Mattes as the VA in 2015, they did quite well....eve when raffa had a hanging shoulder. Mattes turned it into a 50/50 battle.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:12 pm Congrats to JB1 on the Tewaaraton. Best season I’ve ever personally seen from a Terp and he certainly etched himself into Maryland history as one of the best to ever put on the jersey.

he was a friggin monster. crazy. football's a different animal, but interested to see what he does there. ferris st or umd?
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

I was glad to see both of his brother's at the award ceremony to support him. I keep thinking how proud his father would be. And I hope we see him with Maryland football, they could certainly find a place for an athlete like Jared.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:12 pm Congrats to JB1 on the Tewaaraton. Best season I’ve ever personally seen from a Terp and he certainly etched himself into Maryland history as one of the best to ever put on the jersey.
That’s something else.

But the USILA award, really, those go back further.

Bernhardt, Urso, Rambo, Schreiber.

That’s it.
Pretty good company.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:58 pm

he was a friggin monster. crazy. football's a different animal, but interested to see what he does there. ferris st or umd?
He is headed to Ferris St.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

What an awesome 5 years watching Jared grow from an insanely fast, shy freshman to an insanely great at everything senior. I remember being on campus in fall 2016 for a different event, and seeing him, Rambo and the future national champs after a fall workout. His larger than life dad was there too. You could tell Jared was just different than the rest.

Also, I have to laugh this time of year every time I see the Tewaaraton winners list without Paul Rabil on it. Just baffling.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”