Post by HopFan16 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:09 pm
flalax22 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:53 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:13 pm
On another topic some interesting news brewing on a number of coaching fronts
Anything you can share?
Petro to Cuse confirmed
Andy Shay as head coach? Gary Gait as offensive coordinator?
DMac as defensive coordinator
LaxPundit07

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by LaxPundit07 »

NOW I know you are crazy!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:26 amDB being a DB
11-12 goals a game in the shot clock era means rings.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Kyle Harrison announced that this will be his last year of pro lacrosse: https://twitter.com/PremierLacrosse/sta ... 2650134531

Quite a career. He's inspired a lot of people.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

#18: Great coach and leader.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:24 pm Kyle Harrison announced that this will be his last year of pro lacrosse: https://twitter.com/PremierLacrosse/sta ... 2650134531

Quite a career. He's inspired a lot of people.
I witnessed in person his very first college game against Princeton. Two goals ... I think everyone who watched that game knew Kyle Harrison was a special player. Thanks for all the great memories, Kyle.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Kyle was a very special player. He worked tirelessly to overcome a hitch in his shooting motion. 100 extra shots a day with a couple of others. A few coaches observed he had the fastest hands they had ever seen… still.

His dad, Myles, wrote a book about the HSBU lax team of what was then Morgan State University. A team that was making itself known in lax. It’s worth a read. 10 Bears

His parents sat in front of me for his time at Hopkind along with Benson Irwin’s family. Benson to me was the best SSDM. Like Kyle he worked out for hours after practice. He took up boxing to help his foot work and defensive positioning.

For years he would clear the ball snd his mom would shout out “don’t shoot.” Semi final Philly playing against UVA in OT Benson is racing down the field snd hos mom is standing up yelling “Shoot Benson shoot”. Only time she ever did that. He scored
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:20 am Kyle was a very special player. He worked tirelessly to overcome a hitch in his shooting motion. 100 extra shots a day with a couple of others. A few coaches observed he had the fastest hands they had ever seen… still.

His dad, Myles, wrote a book about the HSBU lax team of what was then Morgan State University. A team that was making itself known in lax. It’s worth a read. 10 Bears

His parents sat in front of me for his time at Hopkind along with Benson Irwin’s family. Benson to me was the best SSDM. Like Kyle he worked out for hours after practice. He took up boxing to help his foot work and defensive positioning.

For years he would clear the ball snd his mom would shout out “don’t shoot.” Semi final Philly playing against UVA in OT Benson is racing down the field snd hos mom is standing up yelling “Shoot Benson shoot”. Only time she ever did that. He scored
Not sure why beyond "Youtube Algorithims" but this came up the other day. Benson's set up to his goal is at the 2 hr, 13 minute and 50ish second mark. Sadly I was not in the stands that day - friend bachelor party in NO.

<iframe width="1100" height="841" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7D-3ZjVpUB8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:31 am
OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:20 am Kyle was a very special player. He worked tirelessly to overcome a hitch in his shooting motion. 100 extra shots a day with a couple of others. A few coaches observed he had the fastest hands they had ever seen… still.

Not sure why beyond "Youtube Algorithims" but this came up the other day. Benson's set up to his goal is at the 2 hr, 13 minute and 50ish second mark. Sadly I was not in the stands that day - friend bachelor party in NO.

<iframe width="1100" height="841" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7D-3ZjVpUB8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Fantastic game; talk about great goaltending!

Noticed something just earlier, at the 2:10 game clock, shot is taken, Turner save, has one foot out of crease for a moment and a Hopkins player crashes into him, in the crease...ball is awarded to Hopkins as closest to ball on exit of field, but should have gone to UVA...refs undoubtedly missed the goalie interference and crease violation.

How about that crowd!
I was there with my son and my dad.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

watching the uva and duke videos I see so many students I went to school with at the time. We were behind those guys strongly and every week there'd be a huge line to pick up our tickets at the athletic department offices to go see them. Jamison knows what those days were like and what a roaring homewood student section felt like. Hopefully he, PM, and the athletics folks can get the students and community back to full homewoods next spring.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:26 am watching the uva and duke videos I see so many students I went to school with at the time. We were behind those guys strongly and every week there'd be a huge line to pick up our tickets at the athletic department offices to go see them. Jamison knows what those days were like and what a roaring homewood student section felt like. Hopefully he, PM, and the athletics folks can get the students and community back to full homewoods next spring.
When did tailgating get banned?

I'm willing to bet that when that happened, games were no longer the social event for Hop students they had once been.

That said, it was also the go to sporting event for youth and high school laxers when my son was that age, as it had been in my day.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:26 am watching the uva and duke videos I see so many students I went to school with at the time. We were behind those guys strongly and every week there'd be a huge line to pick up our tickets at the athletic department offices to go see them. Jamison knows what those days were like and what a roaring homewood student section felt like. Hopefully he, PM, and the athletics folks can get the students and community back to full homewoods next spring.
Students are NEVER coming back the way that they used to. A lot has changed since then. It just isn't happening. I would count your blessings. Hopkins is still routinely in the top 5 in attendance per game in the country, even throughout the most recent period of mediocrity. Other schools have much bigger attendance issues.

Doesn't mean student attendance can't or won't improve at all. You know what the best thing would be? Winning. And nice weather. If the team is good, and the weather is nice, the kids will come.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:29 pm
Students are NEVER coming back the way that they used to. A lot has changed since then. It just isn't happening. I would count your blessings. Hopkins is still routinely in the top 5 in attendance per game in the country, even throughout the most recent period of mediocrity. Other schools have much bigger attendance issues.

Doesn't mean student attendance can't or won't improve at all. You know what the best thing would be? Winning. And nice weather. If the team is good, and the weather is nice, the kids will come.
The 2005 NCAA semifinal between Hopkins and Virginia is one of the strangest and one of the greatest lacrosse games ever played. I think the first quarter was largely scoreless in good weather. Then a storm came in ... weather delay ... Kyle tying up the game after the delay ... Ward’s apparent game winner ... and then the G. Peyser to Byrne play with 12.6 seconds on the clock—one of the greatest plays in Hopkins lacrosse history. All topped off with Benson Erwin winning the game in OT off a pass from budding superstar freshman, Paul Rabil.

Blue Jays had one of the best and deepest faceoff crews in lacrosse history, and they were key to winning the game.

It was all the sweeter because the win was the second against a terrific Virginia team that was itself just a year away from greatness.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:34 am
When did tailgating get banned?

I'm willing to bet that when that happened, games were no longer the social event for Hop students they had once been.

That said, it was also the go to sporting event for youth and high school laxers when my son was that age, as it had been in my day.
Johns Hopkins in-person attendance will improve when Hopkins begins winning again.

But I doubt we will ever see the kind of attendance Homewood saw in past decades. There are just too many entertainment options out there, and the television deals with ESPN and BTN mean fans and alumni can watch the games at home. It is almost certain that Johns Hopkins lacrosse games are now seen by more people than at any point in the program’s history, but they’re being watched at home, not Homewood.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Saturday afternoon games in April would be nice...Tuesday nights in February and early March, not so great...

Agreed, re all the dynamics...just look at the turnout trends for Memorial Day weekend.

Ivies have had plummeting turnout for their football games, not so much I think because of the emergence of soccer, but rather because they lost their appeal as the signature social event for the weekend...don't see that same dynamic at the big football schools where it continues to be a party with as much attention to the parking lot as what happens on the field.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Saturday afternoon games in April would be nice...Tuesday nights in February and early March, not so great...

Agreed, re all the dynamics...just look at the turnout trends for Memorial Day weekend.

Ivies have had plummeting turnout for their football games, not so much I think because of the emergence of soccer, but rather because they lost their appeal as the signature social event for the weekend...don't see that same dynamic at the big football schools where it continues to be a party with as much attention to the parking lot as what happens on the field.
Yep. Between 1929 and 1951, Harvard Stadium had a capacity of more than 57,000. It’s just 30,000 or so today. Of course, what else are you going to do on a Saturday afternoon during the Great Depression with no television or cable or streaming services?

In the 1980s, Homewood Field would draw nearly 10,000 spectators for the Hopkins-Syracuse game, because in those days that was the only way you could watch a regular season Hopkins-Syracuse game (except maybe the occasional local TV station broadcast).

These days, a Hopkins-Syracuse lacrosse game on ESPNU or ESPN3 may draw 20-30,000 viewers (maybe more). Diddly squat by sports cable standards, but far larger than the audience at Homewood (or the Dome) back in the day.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
ptjhu

Post by ptjhu »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am

Noticed something just earlier, at the 2:10 game clock, shot is taken, Turner save, has one foot out of crease for a moment and a Hopkins player crashes into him, in the crease...ball is awarded to Hopkins as closest to ball on exit of field, but should have gone to UVA...refs undoubtedly missed the goalie interference and crease violation.

How about that crowd!
I took my Pop to that game. As we were walking back to the car, the man who saw Bobby Orr play hockey, Chuck Bednarik's tackle on Frank Gifford and Stan Musial hit a baseball, told me, "That may have been the best sporting event I ever attended." That made me feel ten feet tall.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

ptjhu wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:43 pm

How about that crowd!
I took my Pop to that game. As we were walking back to the car, the man who saw Bobby Orr play hockey, Chuck Bednarik's tackle on Frank Gifford and Stan Musial hit a baseball, told me, "That may have been the best sporting event I ever attended." That made me feel ten feet tall.
I had my dad and uncle at that game.

My uncle, who recently passed, might have only ever watched lacrosse once in his life. That one. Many thanks to that entire team and staff for one hell of a game, weekend and year.

And, I want to give credit to the years immediately prior to 2005. Those teams helped get the program back to that level. I felt bad for lots of guys who didn’t get a ring in 2003. Damn close and deserving.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ptjhu wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:43 pm

How about that crowd!
Great memories!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:05 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Yep. Between 1929 and 1951, Harvard Stadium had a capacity of more than 57,000. It’s just 30,000 or so today. Of course, what else are you going to do on a Saturday afternoon during the Great Depression with no television or cable or streaming services?

In the 1980s, Homewood Field would draw nearly 10,000 spectators for the Hopkins-Syracuse game, because in those days that was the only way you could watch a regular season Hopkins-Syracuse game (except maybe the occasional local TV station broadcast).

These days, a Hopkins-Syracuse lacrosse game on ESPNU or ESPN3 may draw 20-30,000 viewers (maybe more). Diddly squat by sports cable standards, but far larger than the audience at Homewood (or the Dome) back in the day.

DocBarrister :|
If I understand correctly, as my dad was growing up 2 blocks away ('30's and 40's) and then playing on that field for UVA, the biggest sporting events in Baltimore outside of special occasion horse racing events were lacrosse games at Homewood...pro sports hadn't yet kicked into larger events.

Have a triptych framed black and white of him in the net at Homewood in '52 courtesy of Sunpapers, the year UVA won their first NC, then me in net for Dartmouth 1980, and then my son in net for Harvard in 2015...pretty cool...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”