Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:55 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:53 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:28 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:11 am Ivy League teams are losing so many kids because of how they handled COVID that they will struggle to field teams next season if they continue with sports.
Did many/any 2021 Ivy commits flip?
I saw a Cornell commits father yesterday. He had a droopy face because his kid is stuck going there. It’s kind of sad.
“ Could be worse, Could be raining “

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mC4VflOayBw
:lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:54 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:52 am TLD is starting to sound like Kramerica on the Loyola thread during their run.
I heard Hopkins has to rebuild its future recruiting classes because Petro got a raw deal. All of those kids flipped.
Those number 1 recruiting classes?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:07 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:54 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:52 am TLD is starting to sound like Kramerica on the Loyola thread during their run.
I heard Hopkins has to rebuild its future recruiting classes because Petro got a raw deal. All of those kids flipped.
Those number 1 recruiting classes?
:D

Your team will be fine. Going to turn quickly.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

livelovelax wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:28 am Have helped a few kids get to IVY schools over the last 2-3 years and the players and parents are angry and if they had the chance to do over, they would have gone anywhere but the IVY.
That makes no sense. When my son was being recruited 10-11 years ago, the Ivy coaches (and others) stated that you are a college student that plays lacrosse and not a lacrosse player that attends college. They emphasized that a student should choose a college for the college and not for lacrosse or the coach. There is no guaranteed playing time and coaches leave, but you still need to attend and get your degree. Of the 40-60 players on a D1 roster (10-15 recruits a year), more than half do not play regularly. About 18 players see time in a game. The rest dress and watch on the bench or don't dress and are practice players. When you choose a college, you have to consider that you might get injured, or you might not be one of those 18 who play, or you may not like the coach after all. And when you graduate, the chances of making lacrosse a career are minuscule, but your degree stays with you for the rest of your life. So if a high school student who plays lacrosse is considering an Ivy school, my advice (and that of almost any other reasonable intelligent adult) would be "hell yes - consider it" and if that school is the best fit, by all means enroll. Any other advice is myopic. The Ivies will be fine.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

livelovelax wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:28 am Have helped a few kids get to IVY schools over the last 2-3 years and the players and parents are angry and if they had the chance to do over, they would have gone anywhere but the IVY.
Picking an Ivy is a 40-year decision, and not a 4-5 year decision.

Smart parents know this.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 pm
That makes no sense. When my son was being recruited 10-11 years ago, the Ivy coaches (and others) stated that you are a college student that plays lacrosse and not a lacrosse player that attends college. They emphasized that a student should choose a college for the college and not for lacrosse or the coach. There is no guaranteed playing time and coaches leave, but you still need to attend and get your degree. Of the 40-60 players on a D1 roster (10-15 recruits a year), more than half do not play regularly. About 18 players see time in a game. The rest dress and watch on the bench or don't dress and are practice players. When you choose a college, you have to consider that you might get injured, or you might not be one of those 18 who play, or you may not like the coach after all. And when you graduate, the chances of making lacrosse a career are minuscule, but your degree stays with you for the rest of your life. So if a high school student who plays lacrosse is considering an Ivy school, my advice (and that of almost any other reasonable intelligent adult) would be "hell yes - consider it" and if that school is the best fit, by all means enroll. Any other advice is myopic. The Ivies will be fine.
True for the last 45 years since I enrolled at an Ivy, true when my son enrolled at another Ivy in the last decade...still true today and will be true tomorrow. There's a trade-off when you decide to 'go Ivy'.

Which doesn't mean that some parents and kids don't whine about the various ways Ivies aren't like "BigLaxU". The vast majority do not, but some do. It's true that there are a whole bunch of ways that the Ivy experience is different.

Sounds like livelovelax has been involved with a few such whiners.

That said, I do think the Ivies will 'suffer' a bit initially relative to "BigLaxU" schools due to the Covid dilemma creating extra eligibility years unlikely to be used at an Ivy...on the other hand, if my son today was being recruited, the prospect of early playing time at an Ivy might well be unusually high relative to another good school. Late bloomers, in particular, may benefit. But it would have little to do with the decision, regardless.
Typical Lax Dad

Nope...a good parent would say.... “I know you like Brown Johnny but they didn’t play lacrosse during a pandemic....Bryant and Providence have good lacrosse teams and are in the Providence area....what’s wrong with those schools son?...Johnny you should pick a school where sports come first....Like Ohio State.” Those Ivy Leaguers are just too pretentious.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Puck Swami wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:12 pm
Picking an Ivy is a 40-year decision, and not a 4-5 year decision.

Smart parents know this.
True, though whether these parents are "smart" or not, might be arguable, it can be fairly said that the parents who encourage that decision are indeed likely valuing the perceived lifetime value of the 'go Ivy' choice over shorter term considerations.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm
Nope...a good parent would say.... “I know you like Brown Johnny but they didn’t play lacrosse during a pandemic....Bryant and Providence have good lacrosse teams and are in the Providence area....what’s wrong with those schools son?...Johnny you should pick a school where sports come first....Like Ohio State.” Those Ivy Leaguers are just too pretentious.
:D
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:13 pm
True for the last 45 years since I enrolled at an Ivy, true when my son enrolled at another Ivy in the last decade...still true today and will be true tomorrow. There's a trade-off when you decide to 'go Ivy'.

Which doesn't mean that some parents and kids don't whine about the various ways Ivies aren't like "BigLaxU". The vast majority do not, but some do. It's true that there are a whole bunch of ways that the Ivy experience is different.

That said, I do think the Ivies will 'suffer' a bit initially relative to "BigLaxU" schools due to the Covid dilemma creating extra eligibility years unlikely to be used at an Ivy...on the other hand, if my son today was being recruited, the prospect of early playing time at an Ivy might well be unusually high relative to another good school. Late bloomers, in particular, may benefit. But it would have little to do with the decision, regardless.
Yep ... pick the school first. Then if the lacrosse is a good fit, too ... terrific.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Yep ... pick the school first. Then if the lacrosse is a good fit, too ... terrific.

To be fair, for most of the better players, the lacrosse aspect is essential just to have the option to pick an Ivy...otherwise, few would get through the door. Huge #'s of extremely qualified academically applicants get turned away every year.

Just like any other hopeful applicant to an Ivy, they need to have something that separates them substantially from the other 'qualified' candidates...for lacrosse players, it's almost always the lacrosse.

So, what happens is that if you're good enough to be on an Ivy coach's short list, (or multiple such) and your academic #'s support you as 'admissible', even better if your academic #'s contribute positively to the team AI, the coach lets you know...and then you can actually consider that choice among others.

And then yes, fit first, lax second, is good advice.
For instance, if you are considering Ivy, are you ok with being treated with no special preference as an athlete, no special tutors available to you, expecting professors to be annoyed if you miss classes due to trips for sports, etc? Are you ok with competing academically with super-bright students, having most of your classmates extremely well-prepared for the courses, having taken extra AP classes, math camps, etc in HS while you were grinding on the field or weight room?

Can't manage that?
Probably shouldn't 'go Ivy'.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Find all this talk interesting. TLD are you just pulling everyone's leg because you surely can't be serious if you would direct a kid away from the IVY league just because the IVY administration got it wrong with cancelling the season this year??. I don't believe kids are decommitting from the IVY league and no the IVY league will be fine. They will play a full season next year and they will be competitive. I feel all this gloom and doom talk is more wishful thinking than anything else. MAny of the successful transfers this year came from the IVY teams and these were successful students who graduated from their Ivy school and had no other choice but to enroll in graduate school elsewhere.

How competitive is the IVY league? Well congrats to UVA for repeating as national champs. In 2019 they went 3-0 against Ivy beating Brown and Princeton both in OT and YAle in the national championship. The year prior 2018 Yale won the national championship . In the shortened 2020 season UVA was 0-2 against Ivy Losing to middle of the pack Brown and Princeton. Yes I believe gloom and doom predictions for IVY is more wishful thinking than rational belief.
It would be interesting to see how many decommit from the IVY league vs transfer in or decommit to the IVY. I would be interested to see if people are avoiding the IVY league. I just do not believe it.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlax

+1
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Transfers @ 06-03-2021

Air Force - Sean Curcio (midfield)*** -> Drexel
Albany - Davis Diamond (attack) -> Lynn (D2), Kyle Casey (attack)**
Binghamton - Tom Galgano (defense)**
Bucknell - Matt Fedorjaka (midfield) - > Notre Dame
Canisius - Otto Bergmann (goalie)
Colgate - Mike Hawkins, A/M -> Notre Dame
Cornell - Jonathan Donville (midfield)**
Dartmouth - Peter Rizzotti (LSM), Danny Hincks (goalie)*
Detroit Mercy: Logan Shamblin (G)**
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (attack) -> Mount Saint Mary, Aidan Coll(offense)**
Harvard - Austin Madronic (attack)*
Hobart: Drew Blanchard (FO)**
Hofstra - Ben Stewart (midfield) -> Wagner
Hopkins - Owen Murphy, Brett Baskin (A/M)**, Luke Shilling (A)**
Lehigh - Matt Douglas (LSM/D) —>Norte Dame
Marist - Jake Weinman (attack)**
Michigan - Kevin Mack (attack)**, Alex Bucknavage (midfield)**
Monmouth: Chris Hervada (D)**
North Carolina - Will Bowen (defense)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (goalie)-> OSU, Luke Millican (goalie)**, Alex Trippi **(attack)
Notre Dame: Michael Drake (A/M)**, Matt Schmidt (goalie); Connor Morin (attack)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (attack) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> DII Tampa
Penn - Mitch Bartolo (A/M)**,Sean Lulley (attack)**
Providence - Toby Burgdorf (goalie)**
Richmond - Jax Popovich (FO) -> Boston U, Jason Reynolds (defense)—>Norte Dame, Tate Gallagher (M)**
Sacred Heart: Logan Liljeberg (A)**—>UMass
St. John’s - Dylan Willis (midfield)
Stony Brook:Daniel Cassidy (D)**
Towson - Casey Wasserman (midfield)->Utah
UMass - Luke Blanc (attack)->Marquette
Villanova - Keegan Khan (attack)**, Owen PrybylskI (defense)**, Dan Fisher (FO)!, Stevie Peters (midfield)!, Brendan Haggerty (goalie)!
Virginia - Will Rock (LSM)**, Regan Quinn (midfield)**, Russell Maher (attack/midfield)
VMI - Jon Fant (attack) -> St Joseph’s
Yale - Nick Caccamo (defense) -> Syracuse

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3) - Gib Versfeld (goalie) -> Hopkins

Lynchburg (D3) - Tyler Gallagher (defense) ->OSU
Salisbury (D3) - Brad Apgar (defense)
SUNY (D3) - Matt DeMeo (midfield) -> Stony Brook
Wesleyan (D3) - Ronan Jacoby** (attack) -> Rutgers

* in the portal for the future 2023
** grad transfer
*** transfer from Air Force Prep
! For future 2022
BOLD most recent addition
—————————————

Also,
last complete prior season transfer listing,

viewtopic.php?p=186499#p186499
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm
The right choice is always Salisbury. Your kid is guaranteed a ring.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

That said, I do think the Ivies will 'suffer' a bit initially relative to "BigLaxU" schools due to the Covid dilemma creating extra eligibility years unlikely to be used at an Ivy.
[/quote]

Don’t know exact details but Think this might have already have occurred in the high school ranks. Virginia flipped attack Thomas Mencke from Harvard, who has been invited to the Under Armour AA game. Expect it to have some impact……….
Typical Lax Dad

blue angels wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:44 pm That said, I do think the Ivies will 'suffer' a bit initially relative to "BigLaxU" schools due to the Covid dilemma creating extra eligibility years unlikely to be used at an Ivy.
Don’t know exact details but Think this might have already have occurred in the high school ranks. Virginia flipped attack Thomas Mencke from Harvard, who has been invited to the Under Armour AA game. Expect it to have some impact……….
[/quote]

He flipped back in November. That’s foresight....Schutz also flipped from Boston U. to UVA.... Probably because BU also didn’t play in the Spring.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

UVA is annually a top public institution...not an IVY but in the ballpark..Same goes for UNC...

Giving up Harvard for UVA I can see...especially because they have a solid chance to threepeat :D
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:43 pm

To be fair, for most of the better players, the lacrosse aspect is essential just to have the option to pick an Ivy...otherwise, few would get through the door. Huge #'s of extremely qualified academically applicants get turned away every year.

Just like any other hopeful applicant to an Ivy, they need to have something that separates them substantially from the other 'qualified' candidates...for lacrosse players, it's almost always the lacrosse.

So, what happens is that if you're good enough to be on an Ivy coach's short list, (or multiple such) and your academic #'s support you as 'admissible', even better if your academic #'s contribute positively to the team AI, the coach lets you know...and then you can actually consider that choice among others.

And then yes, fit first, lax second, is good advice.
For instance, if you are considering Ivy, are you ok with being treated with no special preference as an athlete, no special tutors available to you, expecting professors to be annoyed if you miss classes due to trips for sports, etc? Are you ok with competing academically with super-bright students, having most of your classmates extremely well-prepared for the courses, having taken extra AP classes, math camps, etc in HS while you were grinding on the field or weight room?

Can't manage that?
Probably shouldn't 'go Ivy'.
There are plenty of lax players who excelled academically in HS and on the lax field and spent time both studying and practicing. Many of the non-Ivies are extremely competitive as well - including UVA, Duke, Georgetown, Hopkins, Villanova and many more.

Still, some questions need to asked for those who decide to attend college/lax U primarily for lax? Are you ok if "coach wonderful" who told you you were his favorite recruit leaves for another job? Are you ok staying 4 years if you are not good enough to play because there are 40 kids on the roster as good or better than you or because next year coach wonderful recruited a top 10 recruit at your position? If you blow out your knee on day 1 are you ok staying at Lax U for four years and getting your degree in X major upon graduation? What if you don't like your major and want to switch- does Lax U have other majors that are a fit for you? Will you enjoy your 4 years at Lax U if you are no longer on the team and your social life does not revolve around the lax team? If the answer is no to any of these questions, you are not choosing the right school (not that an Ivy would be better - but you have to pick a college where you will be happy without lax because there are no 4 year lax guarantees and no jobs in lacrosse after college - lacrosse is not your major).
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

blue angels wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:44 pm That said, I do think the Ivies will 'suffer' a bit initially relative to "BigLaxU" schools due to the Covid dilemma creating extra eligibility years unlikely to be used at an Ivy.
[/quote]

That may be, but it's baked into the recruiting classes already. Maybe it's early, but I do not see a disproportionate number of Ivy Leaguers in the transfer portal. And many of those that are in the portal are 5th years looking for graduate programs.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”